HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Flyers vs Buffalo refereeing discussion

Old
01-20-2013, 05:30 PM
Grave77digger

vCash: 500
Penguins fan.

The goaltender interference was a bad call.

The whistle on the puck crossing the line was a good call.

The bottom line here is that since the Flyers like to crowd the net and crash the crease they walk a fine line of interfering with both the goalies and refs. Refs should be quicker with the whistle when you have that many people crashing the net.

Grave77digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 05:32 PM
FlyLife
Nuthin but a G Thang

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSoul101 View Post
I don't understand the logic of Flyers fans.
Cause all Flyers fans think the same thing? That is poor logic.

I actually watched the games the past two days, did you? I also watched the abomination that Bryz was at times last year, I know what horrific goaltending looks like.

Bryz has saved the Flyers ass plenty of times already this season, he has not been the problem. But I guess it is easy to follow the mob and blame it on Bryz since he likes talking about the universe.

FlyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 05:37 PM
SoFFacet

I only get mad at refs when they cost my team a game that they deserved to win.

SoFFacet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 05:45 PM
Go to Sleep
CM Vanek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couturioux View Post
Cause all Flyers fans think the same thing? That is poor logic.

I actually watched the games the past two days, did you? I also watched the abomination that Bryz was at times last year, I know what horrific goaltending looks like.

Bryz has saved the Flyers ass plenty of times already this season, he has not been the problem. But I guess it is easy to follow the mob and blame it on Bryz since he likes talking about the universe.
Well, Flyers lost yesterday and today so obviously there hasn't been amazing goaltending. I'm not going to start a fight already when I'm new here on HFBoards so I'll leave it at that.

Go to Sleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 05:46 PM
MoreOrr
B4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couturioux View Post

The first is goalie interference; but where I'm a clear advocate of goalie interference calls, you know where my bias is.

The second, at least from that video shot, doesn't clearly show the puck completely over the line (until it's pushed in after the whistle was blown). However, the puck did very much look like it might possibly have been completely over the line, but if there wasn't a better video shot to confirm it, then they have to go by what the Ref and Goal judge saw (or didn't see). One thing though, it clearly seems to show a Buffalo player (not the goalie) putting his glove over the puck to pull it back... I thought that wasn't allowed... If so, I think there should've been a penalty for that, right?? But perhaps I'm remembering the rule wrong.

MoreOrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 05:46 PM
Sizemore24*

**** happened...Flyers will get some calls down the road.

TV was insane

Sizemore24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 05:59 PM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

Look where the ref is on that play.

Doesn't even make an attempt to get close to the action. You see a lot of refs busting their ass to get to the play to continue to look for the puck.

We can rib the players for being lazy, and we should hold the refs to those standards as well.

Roo Mad Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 06:01 PM
Krishna

vCash: 50
Quote:
Well, Flyers lost yesterday and today so obviously there hasn't been amazing goaltending. I'm not going to start a fight already when I'm new here on HFBoards so I'll leave it at that.
Loss =/= goalie had a terrible game

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 06:03 PM
FlyLife
Nuthin but a G Thang

Quote:
I never said the goaltending has been amazing. What I am saying, is that Bryz has been one of our best players, has not been the problem, and has come up big in some situations that he wouldn't of last year. Also, it is very possible for any team to loose two games in a row with great goaltending, I don't know how you can dispute that as a hockey fan in general.

FlyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 06:06 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
And the flyers could have gone on a scoring spree.

Teams approach a 1-1 game different than a 2-0 deficit
It wouldn't have become 2-0. Buffalo scored first, Philly scored the next 2, Buffalo scored the next 3 (including the EN).

If the first disallowed goal had counted, it would have been 1-1, and if the game continued exactly as it did (which it wouldn't, because the situation would change and how the teams react would be different as you point out), 3-1 Philly before Buffalo would have started scoring.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 06:08 PM
Mergus

If you guys want to talk about bad calls, how about the clear too many men missed call? The play continued and Philly drew a penalty 15-30 seconds later. They then scored on the ensuing PP.

Or how about the blatant hit from behind on Ennis?

It was a poorly called game, period. Miller got bumped and in the refs view was impeded from making the save. I thought it was hysterical that Milbury was trying to say Miller embellished it. Miller gets bumped, has no idea where the puck is, pushes backwards to try and cover the net. Did he flail his arms? Did he dive backwards? No to both. There was no embellishment.

Those calls happen, the sabres won by two goals, oh well. The second one wasn't even close. Not only had the whistle blown, but the puck was on the goal line anyways. It didn't go in until WELL after the play was dead and the sabres stopped playing.

Mergus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPGNYRFan View Post
Oh give me a break. Yeah, it sucked but he was on the other side of Miller and saw Miller with his glove on the ice when he lost sight of the puck. He followed the rules, it was a bad break for Philly and you are ridiculous.
The puck didn't change direction, wasn't covered and didn't stop moving. It is absolutely unforgiveable to blow the whistle at that point but then the referees seemed intent on disallowing everything they could tonight at the Buffalo end.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mergus View Post
If you guys want to talk about bad calls, how about the clear too many men missed call? The play continued and Philly drew a penalty 15-30 seconds later. They then scored on the ensuing PP.

It was a poorly called game, period. Miller got bumped and in the refs view was impeded from making the save. I thought it was hysterical that Milbury was trying to say Miller embellished it. Miller gets bumped, has no idea where the puck is, pushes backwards to try and cover the net. Did he flail his arms? Did he dive backwards? No to both. There was no embellishment.

Those calls happen, the sabres won by two goals, oh well. The second one wasn't even close. Not only had the whistle blown, but the puck was on the goal line anyways. It didn't go in until WELL after the play was dead and the sabres stopped playing.
Bumped?!?! Brushed at best and he was out of his crease.

There's a million miles between disallowing perfectly good goals against potential penalties that weren't called.

I know decisions come full circle in general and you get as many in your favour as against but when all of them come in the same game and when all of them are down to sheer incompetence rather than bad luck or angles - it is ********* annoying.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 06:32 PM
CASUAL KEV
Jack Adams™

NHL over protecting goalies? I'm shocked

Ryan Miller is literally killing hockey.

CASUAL KEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 06:39 PM
Jopsey

I don't like the Flyers but I must admit those were good goals. Flyers got jipped.

Jopsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 07:10 PM
Moskau

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPSLOCK REBEL View Post
NHL over protecting goalies? I'm shocked

Ryan Miller is literally killing hockey.
Yep because running the goaltender was always an accepted part of the game. This is right up there with taking kick returns out of the NFL. A huge blow to the history of the game.

Moskau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 07:11 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Some of the calls were bad (I for one thought both the no-goals should've been allowed and you all should know where my loyalty lies).

But hey, you win some, you lose some. It's professional sports, it happens all the time. Some days a team is on the right side of the calls, some days they're on the opposite side. We've had our share. Ott called for a dive? Not a great call IMO.

Flyers have gotten off lightly other times. Bourdon's hit from behind on Gerbe last year and Hartnell with two hits from behind today on Pominville and Ennis (one was called, although I'd like to see Shanahan take a look tomorrow morning at the Pominville one). Briere's blatant offside goal in the playoffs last year against the Pens, anyone remember? That very likely costed the Penguins the game.

You're on the right end sometimes and on the wrong end other times. It's professional sports. Flyers fans have the right to be angry today but at the end of the day it happens to every team and you move on and play the next game. At least it wasn't in a more important game. Then it'd be a different story but this game was the second game of their season. Doubt it makes or breaks them.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 07:18 PM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
Yep because running the goaltender was always an accepted part of the game. This is right up there with taking kick returns out of the NFL. A huge blow to the history of the game.
How the hell is fedetenko barely touching Miller considered 'running the goaltender'?

Old
01-20-2013, 07:22 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post
Bumped?!?! Brushed at best and he was out of his crease.

There's a million miles between disallowing perfectly good goals against potential penalties that weren't called.

I know decisions come full circle in general and you get as many in your favour as against but when all of them come in the same game and when all of them are down to sheer incompetence rather than bad luck or angles - it is ********* annoying.
It doesn't matter if he was outside the crease. No effort was made to avoid him.

Quote:
69.4 Contact Outside the Goal Crease - If an attacking player initiates any contact with a goalkeeper, other than incidental contact, while the goalkeeper is outside his goal crease, and a goal is scored, the goal will be disallowed.

A goalkeeper is not “fair game” just because he is outside the goal crease. The appropriate penalty should be assessed in every case where an attacking player makes unnecessary contact with the goalkeeper. However, incidental contact will be permitted when the goalkeeper is in the act of playing the puck outside his goal crease provided the attacking player has made a reasonable effort to avoid such unnecessary contact.

When a goalkeeper has played the puck outside of his crease and is then prevented from returning to his crease area due to the deliberate actions of an attacking player, such player may be penalized for goalkeeper interference. Similarly, the goalkeeper may be penalized, if by his actions outside of his crease he deliberately interferes with an attacking player who is attempting to play the puck or an opponent.

Ducks DVM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 07:24 PM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks DVM View Post
It doesn't matter if he was outside the crease. No effort was made to avoid him.
Except Miller initiated it by putting his hands up to try and push fedetenko away from the crease

Old
01-20-2013, 07:26 PM
4ORRBRUIN

Quote:

No not him.

4ORRBRUIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 07:36 PM
Hip Of Rick

Quote:
. Not only had the whistle blown, but the puck was on the goal line anyways. It didn't go in until WELL after the play was dead and the sabres stopped playing.
Are you hearing impaired? The puck went in as the whistle blew or a 1/2 second after the whistle blew. I guess the Buffalo players have the fastest reaction times in the world

Hip Of Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 07:39 PM
Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ORRBRUIN View Post
No not him.
The play in question is probably one of the worst that you could have tried using to push that agenda.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 07:45 PM
Dubi Doo

vCash: 2225
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFFacet View Post
I only get mad at refs when they cost my team a game that they deserved to win.
Buffalo deserved this game just as much as Philly. They just got the right calls today. I'm sure Philly is already moving on. Perhaps theirs fans should follow suit.

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 07:47 PM
CaptPantalones

Bad calls on both ends

Bottom line: Flyers need to learn how to kill a penalty

CaptPantalones is offline   Reply With Quote