HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Flyers vs Buffalo refereeing discussion

Old
01-20-2013, 08:48 PM
CowbellConray

vCash: 500
you win some, you lose some. I thought the second was a quick whistle that happens all the time, this one happened to have the puck slide towards the net.

The first one is much closer. That can go either way. The ref thought the contact caused the goal. His decision. I would love to see anyone complaining do half as good of a job as these refs.

Get over it. It will even itself out throughout the season.

CowbellConray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 08:52 PM
Propane Nightmares
Like a rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowbellConray View Post
you win some, you lose some. I thought the second was a quick whistle that happens all the time, this one happened to have the puck slide towards the net.

The first one is much closer. That can go either way. The ref thought the contact caused the goal. His decision. I would love to see anyone complaining do half as good of a job as these refs.

Good post

Why can't fans just agree that hockey is just an insanely difficult sport to officiate?

- ixcuincle
Propane Nightmares is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 08:56 PM
Moskau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Except Miller initiated it by putting his hands up to try and push fedetenko away from the crease
Actually he did. And Fedotenko barely touched him, if touching him at all.

Miller flops around a lot but not on this play. Everyone take 10 seconds of your time to watch the replay if you want to comment. The puck flipped up in the air and Miller pushed himself backwards to get himself as close to the net as possible so the puck wouldn't roll off his back and in. But he was too slow and it did. He wasn't trying to sell anything.

Moskau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 08:57 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

I watched the game. I thought they were bad breaks more than horrible calls. I see those kind of calls every night. Some go your way, some go against you. Both went against the Flyers today.

fly4apuckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 09:00 PM
pigpen65

Pretty embarrassing that this thread has now made it past 300 responses. Imagine a thread like this, crying about tough calls, in the main forum for every single game. That's all there would be in the main forum. I can't believe there are mods posting in this thread, let alone wasting time moderating it.

pigpen65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 09:04 PM
Moskau

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigpen65 View Post
Pretty embarrassing that this thread has now made it past 300 responses. Imagine a thread like this in the main forum for every single game.
I think part of the reason it's like this and I mean no disrespect to the fan base is that some Flyers fans around here need to come down a peg in regards to their team (at least before the 0-2 start). They're a very good team, but they aren't one of the top tier teams in the league. They're a better team than Buffalo but not to the point where a loss to the Sabres should be as embarrassing as some around here are taking it. And let's be honest, although the Flyers have done very well against Buffalo in recent years Daniel Briere was the difference in almost every single game. Flyers will win games this year. Flyers will lose some games this year. They may even *gasp* lose to "lesser" teams. They will be screwed by the refs this year. They will benefit from the refs this year.

It was a ****** game for their fans, move on.

Moskau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 09:07 PM
MoreOrr
B4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigpen65 View Post
Pretty embarrassing that this thread has now made it past 300 responses. Imagine a thread like this in the main forum for every single game.
Don't know about embarrassing, and certainly not for every game. But just imagine one thread like this for every game day.

MoreOrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 09:23 PM

This isn't just a normal refereeing mistake though. This was 2 perfectly good goals disallowed in a 2 goal game. This is the pinnacle of poor refereeing.

1865 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 10:23 PM
Shoey
Hello.

I give up pointing out that the 2nd goal didn't even cross the line, I really do.

Shoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 10:47 PM
CarlWinslow
@hiphopsicles

Considering the refs missed a too many men call on the Flyers and immediately whistled the Sabres two seconds later, causing one of their goals, the Sabres would still have one in a perfectly officiated game.

CarlWinslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 11:05 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowbellConray View Post

By rule you are not allowed to hit the goalie in the crease when the puck is there which is what happened on the first disallowed goal. you are not allowed to contact the goalie which could cause the goalie momentum to bring the pick into the net.

the Ref could have given the player a penalty but didn't.

The second disallowed goal was a quick whistle (normal for that time of the game) when he lost sight of the puck.

Djp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 11:10 PM
SteelFish87*

flyers lost fair and square

stop whining

SteelFish87* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 11:22 PM
kovatroll*
David Clarkson ✘👎

Definitely embracing the label Broad Street babies today.

kovatroll* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 11:24 PM
flyersfan018

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelFish87 View Post
flyers lost fair and square

stop whining
Great argument. /thread

flyersfan018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 11:27 PM
sfoote

Being a Sabres fan, I'll admit the first goal should have counted,the second,ref lost sight,happens a lot.Being a Sabres fan,the Sabres have been screwed over many times,and I won't even count Hull in the crease.How about the other no goal against your beloved Flyers when the puck went in thru the outside of the net and they counted it? In a playoff game,no less!!

sfoote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 01:53 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

As I Sabres fan, I wanna thank the refs for guiding this game in Buffalo's direction.

But that's what you get when you have clueless guys like Don van Massivehoover reffing in the league for 20 years.

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 02:52 AM
Sasso09

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingpig View Post
Miller had puck covered, along with Simmonds stick, who kept digging and dislodged the puck. Good work by Simmonds, but rules are that when the ref intends to blow whistle is when the play is dead, not even when teh whistle actually blows.

Tough one.

First one was a bad call and no Sabres fans are disputing it.
Take off The blue glasses bro, the puck was never covered, not even close, in fact it never stopped moving until it crossed the goal line

Sasso09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 03:02 AM
Sasso09

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenInLight View Post
You philly fans could make an argument on that first disallowed goal, but the second one not so much. First one miller deserved an oscar for that fall. It was a good goal. Miller was barely touched. Second goal, the ref lost sight of the puck, so he blew the whistle. That was the correct call. The puck didnt cross the line for a few seconds after the whistle blew.

Overall, the refs were terrible. A couple of phantom tripping calls, and that Ott call made zero sense. Don't act like the refs were against you all game, they were just idiots.
Someone post the video, when the whistle blows the pucks already on/ over the line

Old
01-21-2013, 03:25 AM
Sasso09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couturioux View Post

Clearly shows the puck was at or over the line BEFORE the whistle, covered by a glove (penalty) and pokes in less than a second later, the 2nd goal was just as bad as the first.

Old
01-21-2013, 03:49 AM
clumping platelets

13 pages and 319 posts............really Flyer fans? Philadelphia has never gotten officiating in their favor....never

clumping platelets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 03:59 AM
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by clumping platelets View Post
13 pages and 319 posts............really Flyer fans? Philadelphia has never gotten officiating in their favor....never
DEFINITELY NOT! No Goal NUMBER 2!

McTankel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 10:42 AM
zman

This thread is funny. How many disallowed goals have we seen against the Sabres and every other club? Plenty! Buffalo outshot Philly 41-29 and owned a 15-9 advantage in the 3rd. This isn't last year. The better team on THIS day won the game. Without Briere the Flyers are not the better team right now.

zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 11:41 AM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superunknown94 View Post
I can understand the call in the final minute when the potential goal was waived off. The ref lost track of the puck (for some reason) and blew the whistle (even though he was late in doing).

However, the call on Fedotenko was brutal. I usually advocate for the protection of goalies, but not in this case. Miller was out of his crease and the contact was suspect. A momentum killer for the Flyers.

I wonder why...

The scenario today (Fedotenko) was a joke, but he gets abused by guys seemingly every game.
Can people please stop bringing this up?

THE CREASE HAS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH GOALTENDER INTERFERENCE.

Go look up goaltender interference in the rule book, the word crease never appears once. It can be called anywhere on the ice.

It was certainly a bad call regardless, but I see people bring up the outside the crease thing all the time and it simply has nothing to do with anything.

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 11:52 AM
gifted88
Dante the poet

There were some terrible calls in this game. What stood out the most to me was the Sabres clearly icing the puck a few times and having the refs call it off for apparently no reason at all.

gifted88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 11:56 AM
Garbage Goal

Refereeing was terrible but its not as though the Flyers played well. Horrible PK and PP as well as sloppy defense. Hell, in regards to Vanek alone we gave him two breakaways and five points.

I can see the refereeing being at major fault if we played well and should have won off that basis, but we didn't.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote