Closed Thread

Old
03-31-2013, 09:39 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
Lynk did you ever watch "The Wire"? I picked up on it after some of the boys on this board recommended it. Possibly the best TV drama I have ever seen. I am about 4 episodes into season 2.
Ah yeah, another one I forgot about.

I think I'm just going to go for them all.

Old
03-31-2013, 09:44 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Lynk did you ever watch "The Wire"? I picked up on it after some of the boys on this board recommended it. Possibly the best TV drama I have ever seen. I am about 4 episodes into season 2.
Best TV show ever made. Period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk View Post

Ok, well I love GoT. Best show on Tv right now, hands down. But The Wire is better. Watch that one first, IMO.

Best Shows Ever
1. The Wire
2. Firefly
3. Game Of Thrones
4. Arrested Development
5. Battlestar Galactica/Rome/Deadwood/Stargate Universe/Entourage/Dexter

I do have a slight Sci-Fi bias

Last edited by Holden Caulfield: 03-31-2013 at 10:48 PM.
Old
03-31-2013, 10:14 PM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk View Post

I downloaded season 1 onto my iPad and began watching it when I was traveling for work. Instantly hooked in the first episode....unbelievable writing and rich characters.

Old
03-31-2013, 10:23 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Anyone ever seen College Humor's version of The Wire and Game of Thrones... It's late 80s-early 90s RPG goodness

Old
03-31-2013, 10:36 PM
Gm0ney

vCash: 1300
Quote:
The Wire is the best cop show ever, by a wide margin.

As for Breaking Bad, Walking Dead and Game of Thrones, they're all pretty different and all very well done. I'd categorize them all as shows that you sit down to watch one and end up staying up 'til 3am watching as many as you can. Great writing and action in all of them. Game of Thrones is HBO so there's plenty of sex and violence (AMC's shows have far less foul language and nudity).

If I had to rank these shows, I'd probably give Breaking Bad the top spot, followed by the Wire, Walking Dead and Game of Thrones (but I couldn't really argue with someone proposing the opposite order - they're all extremely well written and worth watching).

Old
03-31-2013, 10:48 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm0ney View Post
The Wire is the best cop show ever, by a wide margin.

As for Breaking Bad, Walking Dead and Game of Thrones, they're all pretty different and all very well done. I'd categorize them all as shows that you sit down to watch one and end up staying up 'til 3am watching as many as you can. Great writing and action in all of them. Game of Thrones is HBO so there's plenty of sex and violence (AMC's shows have far less foul language and nudity).

If I had to rank these shows, I'd probably give Breaking Bad the top spot, followed by the Wire, Walking Dead and Game of Thrones (but I couldn't really argue with someone proposing the opposite order - they're all extremely well written and worth watching).
The Wire is not a cop show though. That is the biggest misconception about the show.

The Wire is a study of city, from all facets of it. From the projects, to development, to the working class, to politicians, to schools, to news it is a study of all aspects of the city. It is not about the crime, so much as the driving aspects of how the city works. That's what makes it so unique and amazing.

My problem with Breaking Bad is how unrealistic is gets after about 2/2.5 seasons. When the main character becomes the ridiculous badass I completely lost interest. It jumped the shark AFAIC when the main character took over all the drug trade pretty much and I stopped watching. Honestly I would rank it last.

The Walking Dead is solid, but I would never come close to ranking it near to top of all time, nevermind anywhere close to GoT. It is alright, but there is nothing spectacular about it. Characters are not really unique or unpredictable. It's solid, but nothing out of the ordinary.

All of them are fine, and I am not deriding you for your opinion at all, I just don't agree that BB or WD can compare to GoT or The Wire. Although I agree at times GoT throws in nudity for the sake of nudity (Roz is so freaking stupid character in GoT, which is not in books but only in show for nudity).

Wow, just remember Dexter as well. I easily place Dexter above BB and WD, but way behind GoT and The Wire. That's another fantastic show. Def goes on the tied for 5th in my show list

Old
03-31-2013, 11:23 PM
Concordski
Knockoff Jets FTW

vCash: 663
My Best Shows List:

1. The Wire
2. Twin Peaks (Which I personally found more enjoyable than the Wire, but you can get killed for saying that)
3. Arrested Development
4. The Thick of It
5. Freaks and Geeks

Old
03-31-2013, 11:24 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCJet View Post
I would like to say RIP to the kazakh hockey player who was killed due to a hit to the head in a kazakh league play off game. Events like that are just tragic
Heard about that, very sad stuff. RIP Dmitri Uchaykin.

Another awful incident was that injury Kevin Ware suffered in the Duke-Louisville game. Made me sick to my stomach.

Old
03-31-2013, 11:29 PM
Boreal

The Sopranos.

Old
03-31-2013, 11:37 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post

Another awful incident was that injury Kevin Ware suffered in the Duke-Louisville game. Made me sick to my stomach.
Agreed. Although I am still not certain that the hit contributed to it. But still.

About the broken leg, it makes me sick. I went through something similar. My leg did not collapse like that, but I broke my leg in near the same place. During a Junior A game, my left foot got caught along the boards while the rest of my body turned, so when I looked down my knee was pointed forward and my foot was pointed more than 90 degrees to the outside since the bone had been snapped and twisted. Scariest moment of my life when I looked down at my leg. Now I feel so bad every time I see video like that since I have been through that...best of luck in his recovery it took me 3+ months to get off crutches nevermind get back to playing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielBryanRoleModel View Post
My Best Shows List:

1. The Wire
2. Twin Peaks (Which I personally found more enjoyable than the Wire, but you can get killed for saying that)
3. Arrested Development
4. The Thick of It
5. Freaks and Geeks
I've literally never heard of Twin Peaks or The Thick of It...what's so good about those shows?

Old
03-31-2013, 11:42 PM
JC Numminen
The top dog

vCash: 132
Quote:

Oh wow. I just watched it. I have only fractured bones before, cant imagine what it is like to snap a bone like that. Wish him a speedy recovery

Old
03-31-2013, 11:50 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
About the broken leg, it makes me sick. I went through something similar. My leg did not collapse like that, but I broke my leg in near the same place. During a Junior A game, my left foot got caught along the boards while the rest of my body turned, so when I looked down my knee was pointed forward and my foot was pointed more than 90 degrees to the outside since the bone had been snapped and twisted. Scariest moment of my life when I looked down at my leg. Now I feel so bad every time I see video like that since I have been through that...best of luck in his recovery it took me 3+ months to get off crutches nevermind get back to playing...
I've been fortunate with injuries, but I can't imagine how hard it is psychologically to come back after something like that.

Thing about Ware's injury, it was such a routine play, not like some of those traumatic injuries where it's just a really bad combination of body positioning and impact. Just really unfortunate how he landed.

Old
04-01-2013, 12:02 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
I've been fortunate with injuries, but I can't imagine how hard it is psychologically to come back after something like that.

Thing about Ware's injury, it was such a routine play, not like some of those traumatic injuries where it's just a really bad combination of body positioning and impact. Just really unfortunate how he landed.
For me, to this day (it's 2 years later now) if my foot gets caught along to boards or I am sliding into the boards feet first I have a little bit of panic attack. It's almost a good thing that my injury happened during my final year of competitive hockey because honestly I have never quite been able to recover. Although maybe playing hard hockey might have helped, since I separated and dislocated both shoulders 2/3 times each and bounced back to complete confidence now, but never quite recovered from that leg break (shoulders are though a notoriously troublesome injury to gain confidence in, see Eric Fehr last year).

See I was asking about that in another thread. Did Ware twist it/step on the shooting players leg during that? Because it just seems so odd that his leg just collapsed like under a complete normal little jump. If nothing else happened, I have no idea how he will mentally be able to jump off the ground again, that leg just buckled like I have never seen...*shudder*

Old
04-01-2013, 12:04 AM
Lux Aurumque*

Finally going home tomorrow!

Sorry. Had to express my excitement. I've been away for 15 days. Long overdue for some rest.

Old
04-01-2013, 12:15 AM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
See I was asking about that in another thread. Did Ware twist it/step on the shooting players leg during that? Because it just seems so odd that his leg just collapsed like under a complete normal little jump. If nothing else happened, I have no idea how he will mentally be able to jump off the ground again, that leg just buckled like I have never seen...*shudder*
Was a straight jump onto the court as far as I could remember. In 99.9% of those cases you'd expect the ankle to absorb the impact, if you land awkwardly then you roll it or possibly sprain it. I really can't understand how he snapped his leg like that, unless somehow he didn't land on the foot at all?

Anyway, was completely out of the blue. Hope he makes a speedy recovery.

Old
04-01-2013, 12:22 AM
Concordski
Knockoff Jets FTW

vCash: 663
Quote:
Agreed. Although I am still not certain that the hit contributed to it. But still.

I've literally never heard of Twin Peaks or The Thick of It...what's so good about those shows?
The Thick of It is a British Political Sitcom created By Armando Iannucci, the best British TV Comedy writer right now, IMO (Ricky Gervais is good, but he just isn't as good). Malcolm Tucker is one of the greatest characters in Sitcom history if you can think about his depth past his biggest shtick (He threatens his co-workers with physical violence and curses every other word)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Thick_of_It

Twin Peaks is an early 90's TV Drama/Satirical Prime Time Soap Opera created by Mark Frost (of Hill Street Blues fame) and legendary director David Lynch (of Eraserhead, Mulholland Drive and Blue Velvet fame). The show is about a small Washington town's dealings with the supernatural following their High School's Homecoming Queen being found dead in a plastic bag. The show's first season met near record ratings for ABC and the show was nominated for 18 Emmys. Unfortunately, an extremely bizarre series of storylines and a Time Slot not suited for the college audience it should have been attracting led its ratings to collapse to record lows in the second season, leading to its cancellation. (I'm partial to much of the Second Season myself.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twin_Peaks

If I had to recommend just one, it'd be Twin Peaks as it has gotten a massive cult following, but it is not for everyone.

Old
04-01-2013, 12:34 AM
Gnova
Jets Flying Squad

Favourite/Best TV shows.

The Wire? I don't get it. I guess I should watch it some more. I've seen the first 2/3 of the first season and it didn't stand out for me (and I watch a lot of TV)

Currently running series
1 - American Horror Story.
2 - Justified
3 - Breaking Bad
4 - Hell On Wheels
5 - Sons of Anarchy
6 - Game Of Thrones (Like the series but hate the fact it has been HBOed up too much)
7 - Spiral (Actually belongs higher on list but subtitles...)

I'm basing this entirely on which shows I am most likely to download weekly in order to keep up.
I also like Walking Dead, True Blood, Californication, Mentalist, and a long list of shows that I watch.

Completed series worth watching.
Life of Mars (British Verson)
The Sweeney (every male should watch this series. It is how I wish cop dramas were still made)
Deadwood (Loved the series. Especially the first season before it fell I. Love with itself)
The Shield (Everyone has already seen this though)

Old
04-01-2013, 01:27 AM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Just watched the entire first season of Breaking Bad.

Aaaaaand I'm hooked.

Old
04-01-2013, 06:40 AM
Romang67
BitterSwede

vCash: 545
While we're talking about TV-shows, stumbled upon this.

http://doctorwhotv.co.uk/doctor-whos...axed-42019.htm

Let me be the first to say... FINALLY! What the hell is a police box anyway? Good to see that they're getting rid of idiotic ideas like that and actually try to improve the show instead of being stuck in the past.

Old
04-01-2013, 07:17 AM
razorsedge
West Town Sports

I've onlt seen the first season of Californication. I rather enjoyed it.

Gonna start on season 1 of gane of thrones this week.

Old
04-01-2013, 07:55 AM
Diatidialga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romang67 View Post
While we're talking about TV-shows, stumbled upon this.

http://doctorwhotv.co.uk/doctor-whos...axed-42019.htm

Let me be the first to say... FINALLY! What the hell is a police box anyway? Good to see that they're getting rid of idiotic ideas like that and actually try to improve the show instead of being stuck in the past.
Look at the date

Old
04-01-2013, 08:03 AM
Shakey Rustie
2L

vCash: 1077
The new season of Mad Men starts on Sunday, that's a pretty good show.

Old
04-01-2013, 08:12 AM
Romang67
BitterSwede

vCash: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diatidialga View Post
Look at the date
Hush! Sadly, I was looking around for jokes when I found the article, but I had a pretty good laugh at it.

Old
04-01-2013, 09:58 AM
Hammer Slammer

Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diatidialga View Post
Look at the date
Lol thank you. I just woke up and I was going to kick something.

04-01-2013, 10:43 AM
Jet
Drop the danged puck

Quote:
For me, to this day (it's 2 years later now) if my foot gets caught along to boards or I am sliding into the boards feet first I have a little bit of panic attack. It's almost a good thing that my injury happened during my final year of competitive hockey because honestly I have never quite been able to recover. Although maybe playing hard hockey might have helped, since I separated and dislocated both shoulders 2/3 times each and bounced back to complete confidence now, but never quite recovered from that leg break (shoulders are though a notoriously troublesome injury to gain confidence in, see Eric Fehr last year).

I have been pretty lucky to mentally recover from my knee injuries, both happening just from pivoting, turning from skating backwards to forwards and my knee comes right out of place and back in. It is a gruesome feeling and you do think about it when you pivot for quite some time.

An injury like that, however? That is terrible for the athlete. I don't know how you come back from it.