HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Was Daymond Langkow ever considered for first overall in his draft year (1995)?

Old
01-20-2013, 04:19 PM
Sticks and Pucks

vCash: 500
Was Daymond Langkow ever considered for first overall in his draft year (1995)?

Judging alone by his stats in his draft year, it seems that Langkow was the best forward in his class. Was he ever considered for first overall? Or did people think there were flaws in his game? Just curious why he wasn't picked higher.

Sticks and Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 04:40 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

If I recall, Berard and redden were the consensus top 2 and Langkow was considered one of the favourites to go #3.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 02:18 AM
pdd

Ottawa had no need to draft a center; they had Yashin and Daigle in the middle, as well as the freshly drafted Radek Bonk.

Statistics through 1994-95 for Yashin and Daigle:

1993-94 Daigle 84GP, 20-31-51
1993-94 Yashin 83GP, 30-49-79
1994-95 Daigle 47GP, 16-21-37
1994-95 Yashin 47GP, 21-23-44
1994-95 Bonk 42GP, 3-8-11

Daigle began his career at 18 immediately after the 1993 draft. Yashin had been drafted in 1992, and was a year and a half older. Bonk, eleven months Daigle's junior, also began immediately after his draft - with far less success than Alexandre and Alexei.

They did desperately need to get a defenseman though, and they drafted Berard (who refused to play) and then traded him for Redden, who would be the team's defensive core for years. Until a new defenseman (Chara), again acquired from the Islanders, would become the team's core as Redden walked to the Rangers in free agency. Phillips was drafted in 1996, and then Ottawa moved back to forwards high for a few years; Hossa in 1997, Fisher in the second round in 1998, and Havlat in 1999.

In the 1995-96 season was when the "Steve Yzerman almost trade" happened; Yzerman and Chris Osgood would go to Ottawa for Alexei Yashin, Damian Rhodes, and Ottawa's next two (1996 and 1997, or Phillips and Hossa) first round draft picks. The trade was actually submitted to the NHL offices and Red Wings Co-GM Jim Devellano had to call and tell them not to process it. Imagine how different history might have looked for so many players. Daigle would have had the opportunity to play with a veteran leader (he never really had that opportunity) and Yashin would have been the second line center behind Fedorov on a Red Wings team with a much different identity, and perhaps Fedorov as captain?

That's all OT though. Anyway, Ottawa wasn't looking at forwards at all. As for the Islanders, they had Palffy, McInnis, Green, Bertuzzi all 25 or under at the time. Schneider, Lachance and Kasparaitis were their only defensemen 25 or under. So they might have had more of a reason to look at Langkow, but they had just as much of a need on the blueline and the players there were better. Had they not traded Redden to Ottawa, I think the Islanders would have returned to the playoffs sooner and might not be in such dire straits now.

Last edited by pdd: 01-21-2013 at 02:40 AM.
pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 08:14 AM
BROOKLYnKNIGHTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post
Ottawa had no need to draft a center; they had Yashin and Daigle in the middle, as well as the freshly drafted Radek Bonk.

Statistics through 1994-95 for Yashin and Daigle:

1993-94 Daigle 84GP, 20-31-51
1993-94 Yashin 83GP, 30-49-79
1994-95 Daigle 47GP, 16-21-37
1994-95 Yashin 47GP, 21-23-44
1994-95 Bonk 42GP, 3-8-11

Daigle began his career at 18 immediately after the 1993 draft. Yashin had been drafted in 1992, and was a year and a half older. Bonk, eleven months Daigle's junior, also began immediately after his draft - with far less success than Alexandre and Alexei.

They did desperately need to get a defenseman though, and they drafted Berard (who refused to play) and then traded him for Redden, who would be the team's defensive core for years. Until a new defenseman (Chara), again acquired from the Islanders, would become the team's core as Redden walked to the Rangers in free agency. Phillips was drafted in 1996, and then Ottawa moved back to forwards high for a few years; Hossa in 1997, Fisher in the second round in 1998, and Havlat in 1999.

In the 1995-96 season was when the "Steve Yzerman almost trade" happened; Yzerman and Chris Osgood would go to Ottawa for Alexei Yashin, Damian Rhodes, and Ottawa's next two (1996 and 1997, or Phillips and Hossa) first round draft picks. The trade was actually submitted to the NHL offices and Red Wings Co-GM Jim Devellano had to call and tell them not to process it. Imagine how different history might have looked for so many players. Daigle would have had the opportunity to play with a veteran leader (he never really had that opportunity) and Yashin would have been the second line center behind Fedorov on a Red Wings team with a much different identity, and perhaps Fedorov as captain?

That's all OT though. Anyway, Ottawa wasn't looking at forwards at all. As for the Islanders, they had Palffy, McInnis, Green, Bertuzzi all 25 or under at the time. Schneider, Lachance and Kasparaitis were their only defensemen 25 or under. So they might have had more of a reason to look at Langkow, but they had just as much of a need on the blueline and the players there were better. Had they not traded Redden to Ottawa, I think the Islanders would have returned to the playoffs sooner and might not be in such dire straits now.
No. Daymond Langkow was never considered for the 1st overall pick in the draft

BROOKLYnKNIGHTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 10:40 AM
vadim sharifijanov

i don't remember langkow being talked about as anything but a dark horse for #1 in the entire year leading up to the draft. but i think he was one of the names thrown around for #1 during their 16 year old year.

i don't think redden's name was ever mentioned for #1 in their draft year either. it was, as i recall, berard as the consensus #1, redden as the consensus #2, then a group of other guys that included chad kilger as the boom/bust, steve kelly as the flashy superstar in waiting, and langkow as the "safe pick."

from that draft, i remember petr sykora was considered a contender for top five. you can guess the story: "most talented forward in the draft, would be a top pick if he was canadian, bla bla bla," only he was also a proven commodity, having put up a point-a-game in the IHL in his draft year.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 11:13 AM
Sticks and Pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
i don't remember langkow being talked about as anything but a dark horse for #1 in the entire year leading up to the draft. but i think he was one of the names thrown around for #1 during their 16 year old year.

i don't think redden's name was ever mentioned for #1 in their draft year either. it was, as i recall, berard as the consensus #1, redden as the consensus #2, then a group of other guys that included chad kilger as the boom/bust, steve kelly as the flashy superstar in waiting, and langkow as the "safe pick."

from that draft, i remember petr sykora was considered a contender for top five. you can guess the story: "most talented forward in the draft, would be a top pick if he was canadian, bla bla bla," only he was also a proven commodity, having put up a point-a-game in the IHL in his draft year.
Interesting you mention Sykora. Now I seem to remember Sykora was highly touted. So I guess after Berard and Redden, there was a group of forwards that came afterwards? Kilger, Sykora, Langkow, Kelly. Was Shane Doan's name ever thrown around in this group? What about Langkow's teammate, Terry Ryan? Or were the other guys in the next tier of prospects that year?

Sticks and Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 11:37 AM
vadim sharifijanov

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstOverallLine View Post
Interesting you mention Sykora. Now I seem to remember Sykora was highly touted. So I guess after Berard and Redden, there was a group of forwards that came afterwards? Kilger, Sykora, Langkow, Kelly. Was Shane Doan's name ever thrown around in this group? What about Langkow's teammate, Terry Ryan? Or were the other guys in the next tier of prospects that year?
my recollection was that there was a gap between berard and redden, a gap between redden and kilger/langkow/kelly/sykora and doan. but on the other hand, the '95 draft was in edmonton and they booed the kelly pick because they wanted doan, who was a local boy. turns out they were right to want doan obviously, but that was a minority opinion at the time.

i remember nothing about aki berg leading up to the draft and when he was picked #3, i was like, "who the hell is that?" but i didn't know anything about european guys outside of the WJC (which berg didn't play in) and sykora, who'd played in the IHL. any europeans on the board remember anything about berg leading up to the draft?

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 01:06 PM
feffan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
my recollection was that there was a gap between berard and redden, a gap between redden and kilger/langkow/kelly/sykora and doan. but on the other hand, the '95 draft was in edmonton and they booed the kelly pick because they wanted doan, who was a local boy. turns out they were right to want doan obviously, but that was a minority opinion at the time.

i remember nothing about aki berg leading up to the draft and when he was picked #3, i was like, "who the hell is that?" but i didn't know anything about european guys outside of the WJC (which berg didn't play in) and sykora, who'd played in the IHL. any europeans on the board remember anything about berg leading up to the draft?
This has some good quotes and thougts about it:
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=877282

feffan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 03:22 PM
popo

Sykora suffered a broken leg in his draft year, if I remember correctly. Went from being talked about as first overall prior to the start of the year to his stock plummeting on draft day. The Devils were happy to pick him up where they did.

popo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 08:00 PM
MS

At the start of the 1994-95 season, it was considered to be Wade Redden vs. Petr Sykora for #1 overall.

Sykora was hurt in early December and missed the rest of the season, and his stock plummeted - was considered to be on the fringes of the top 5 heading into draft day, but had a massive fall to #18 overall. Berard came out of nowhere to challenge Redden for #1 overall and eventually be selected in that spot.

Berard over Redden was hardly a slam dunk - scouts seemed like they were about 60/40 in favour of Berard due to his higher upside.

Langkow was never really a serious #1 overall contender, but more quietly crept into the top 5.

Doan and Iginla went from late first-rounders to high picks based on their great play in the WHL playoffs and for Kamloops at the 1995 Memorial Cup. Both big late movers.

MS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 09:22 PM
Nalyd Psycho

He was considered undersized and was among the oldest first year draft eligible players. (Or was he passed over the previous year?)