HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Rayan O'Rayli , From Russia with love

Closed Thread

Old
01-27-2013, 11:50 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
O'Reilly for Johansen straight up would be pretty equal value. I'm not sure I'd prefer it over keeping, and even slightly overpaying, O'Reilly.

Johansen will be a very good player in a few years. He's going to take some time getting comfortable with adding a lot of bulk.

Old
01-28-2013, 12:04 AM
BrickAHL
#NotUs

vCash: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy Kassian View Post
Tim Erixon and Ryan Johansen?
Sounds good to me.

Old
01-28-2013, 12:13 AM
shadow1

vCash: 1210
What sucks about this situation in the short term is that you can already scratch O'Reilly off for pretty much a sixth of the season at the minimum. Not playing tomorrow night, and unless he signs tomorrow he won't be joining the Avalanche for either of the back-to-back western Canada match-ups on Wednesday and Thursday.

It's tough for a middle of the pack team like Colorado to be without one of it's top players and have nothing in his place. With all the games being in-conference this season, one mildly bad losing streak can sink a team.

Old
01-28-2013, 12:24 AM
electricjib

Like I stated before when his interview popped up on Eurolanche, I've lost all respect for ROR.

While I hope he comes back, I wouldn't have a issue trading him for his full value to another team. I'd rather have players that don't ask the world when they've really only proved 1 season of the value he's looking for, and know their worth.

Johnson and Duchene clearly want to be here. For such a "character" guy, he sure is putting on a show displaying the opposite.

He doesn't appear to want to be here.

ROR should show he's worth the money he wants. Good on Sherman for holding out. Don't feed the market and drive up prices for #2 and #3 centers anymore than it already is.

Old
01-28-2013, 12:27 AM
TheFactor
Johnny Malkin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricjib View Post
Like I stated before when his interview popped up on Eurolanche, I've lost all respect for ROR.

While I hope he comes back, I wouldn't have a issue trading him for his full value to another team. I'd rather have players that don't ask the world when they've really only proved 1 season of the value he's looking for, and know their worth.

Johnson and Duchene clearly want to be here. For such a "character" guy, he sure is putting on a show displaying the opposite.

ROR should show he's worth the money he wants. Good on Sherman for holding out. Don't feed the market and drive up prices for #2 and #3 centers anymore than it already is.
What ticked you off about the eurolanche interviews?

Old
01-28-2013, 12:32 AM
electricjib

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFactor View Post
What ticked you off about the eurolanche interviews?
Just his attitude about the process. I can't remember exactly what he said, but it appeared as if he didn't want to really be here, or that he was simply playing for money. I'll watch it tomorrow and go over it and find out for sure.

I think it's something about how it's a business more than a fun game to him. It just came off with alot of arrogance to me. Like he's owed something for what he's done.

Old
01-28-2013, 12:34 AM
CoachBadkitten
Matt Hunwick

Quote:
I'd do it.

Old
01-28-2013, 12:37 AM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1 View Post
What sucks about this situation in the short term is that you can already scratch O'Reilly off for pretty much a sixth of the season at the minimum. Not playing tomorrow night, and unless he signs tomorrow he won't be joining the Avalanche for either of the back-to-back western Canada match-ups on Wednesday and Thursday.
Have to keep in mind that the dummy injured his foot while playing in Russia. Can't seem to find a link to it right now but I remember reading that his foot probably won't be healed before the 31st. If that's accurate, even if he signed tomorrow morning, I think the earliest he would be back would be Feb 2nd when they return home from the road trip. That's if his foot is healed by then.

Old
01-28-2013, 12:42 AM
shadow1

vCash: 1210
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricjib View Post

On the flip side you could say he's a young kid getting bad advice, and this incident will be completely forgotten two or three years down the road.

That said, I tend to agree with you.

Maybe things would be different if this were a Lecavalier or a Spezza, but on the surface we have a 21-year-old player with barely over 100 points in three seasons scoffing at a short-term, lucrative deal.

Old
01-28-2013, 12:48 AM
Holyhell
'Crumblers'

vCash: 642
Just wait.

If/When ROR signs, he'll round out a good looking offense, win a lot of draws and put up some points and everyone will forget.

Old
01-28-2013, 01:57 AM
dahrougem2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
And this is just one of the reasons you are a fan and not a professional.
Lol excuse me? Did I say something that you found wrong Mr. Professional? O'Reilly's a hell of a player but there is no way he deserves over 4 million per season right now. What Colorado is doing is the right thing, if they let O'Reilly get what he wants, then what happens when Landeskog, Duchene, Johnson, Varlamov etc are all up for contract extensions? Do they get the same/more money than O'Reilly if they play as well or better? What happens to our depth then? Can we resign players like McGinn, Downie, Wilson? If you let players get what they want, you turn into the Calgary Flames

Old
01-28-2013, 02:26 AM
dani bushido

i say give o'reilly his 4 million. if they don't, forget big snake eating lacroix. I WILL GO TO PEPSI CENTER, EAT LACROIX MYSELF.

Old
01-28-2013, 02:30 AM
Mant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahrougem2 View Post
Lol excuse me? Did I say something that you found wrong Mr. Professional? O'Reilly's a hell of a player but there is no way he deserves over 4 million per season right now. What Colorado is doing is the right thing, if they let O'Reilly get what he wants, then what happens when Landeskog, Duchene, Johnson, Varlamov etc are all up for contract extensions? Do they get the same/more money than O'Reilly if they play as well or better? What happens to our depth then? Can we resign players like McGinn, Downie, Wilson? If you let players get what they want, you turn into the Calgary Flames
Plus we don't really have depth as it is... our roster just barely cuts it for an NHL team. If they just cave in and give O'Reilly what he wants, that places the team in a position where they'll be struggling to keep the roster at its current quality... which is subpar at best.

Old
01-28-2013, 02:31 AM
Peter The Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by dani bushido View Post
i say give o'reilly his 4 million. if they don't, forget big snake eating lacroix. I WILL GO TO PEPSI CENTER, EAT LACROIX MYSELF.
If $4 is the key, then definately, go for it.

It's probably not the whole truth though, rumours about $5 million and multi year contract etc, etc.

O'Reilly hired Don Meehan, damn it.

Also, apart from numbers the whole negotiation process is probably a bit infected.

Old
01-28-2013, 02:35 AM
crazy Kassian
The North Remembers

When does he become an UFA and is he okay with being in contract during those years?

Old
01-28-2013, 03:28 AM
Nzap
Insert clever phrase

Quote:
When does he become an UFA and is he okay with being in contract during those years?
The understanding is he wants a 5-year deal which would burn off 1 UFA year.

Old
01-28-2013, 05:05 AM
viach

Quote:
Good proposal

Old
01-28-2013, 05:47 AM
iceberg

How does bonusses work in the new CBA? Actually i don't know how it worked before...

But if the reports are correct we have a situation where the Avs had a 5 year 17M offer, and O'Reilly wants a 5 year 25M contract, so that's an 8M diference.

Is there a way that this 8M diference could be put in bonusses?? For example: If he gets to a certain point total (50-60) he gets more money in a certain year?

Old
01-28-2013, 07:00 AM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
No bonuses for RFAs unless they are signing bonuses built directly into the yearly cap.

Old
01-28-2013, 08:56 AM
finds71

Quote:
Yes very good deal for the Avs

Old
01-28-2013, 09:07 AM
AslanRH
Part of the Plan

Help with NHL contract rules/cap rules? (O'Reilly)

Don't know if this could work in regards to new CBA and how the Cap hit would work, but I'm getting frustrated with this situation.

O'Reilly gets a contract for 7 years
First 3 for 10.5m (3.5m/per)
at the end of year 3, both parties have an opt out option.
If team opts out: team pays 1.5m buyout and RoR is UFA. making it 3yr @ 4m. contract
If RoR opts out, he is a RFA again and no buyout is paid.
If neither opt out then next 4 years is for 22M (5.5m/per).
If the 7 years is met the contract would total out to be 32.5M (4.65m/per)

Is this even possible under CBA? (yearly $ totals could be adjusted to meet the 35% rule) Seems to meet in the middle of where both sides stand.

Old
01-28-2013, 09:16 AM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

I don't think you're aloud to simply opt out of a contract, at least Ive never heard of that.

Now, I guess they could both agree to mutually terminate the contract. But even then I'm not certain you can do that in the NHL. And if they did mutually opt out, I think Oreilly would have to sign with another team besides the Avs.

Old
01-28-2013, 10:07 AM
TheMobGoesWild

Sticking with a Columbus proposal and out of curiosity, thoughts on Nick Foligno?

Old
01-28-2013, 10:16 AM
Crisp Breakout

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMobGoesWild View Post
Sticking with a Columbus proposal and out of curiosity, thoughts on Nick Foligno?
Don't really care for him. If we're dealing with Columbus, I'd be interested in Jack Johnson, John Moore, Ryan Murray, Ryan Johansen, and that's about it. Also I'd try to sneak in Mike Reilly somehow.

Old
01-28-2013, 10:18 AM
GeoffL19

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMobGoesWild View Post
Would love Foligno. Fan favourite in Ottawa. A warrior you win championships with. Stick him on Johnny Malkin's line or put him with Staz and he'd be great.

Closed Thread