HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why so much scrutiny and hate for Kadri?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-20-2013, 08:23 PM
  #1
Tonka
Diggles
 
Tonka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 8,316
vCash: 500
Why so much scrutiny and hate for Kadri?

I'm not basing this on yesterday's goal, I'm simply basing it on the fact since day 1 he has shown he has very good skills ("magic hands") and has a bite to his game. Now, whether he becomes a solid 65 point+ player or a bust is besides the fact.

Where I'm getting at is Luke Schenn was drafted 5th overall, was loved by most fans but didn't pan out well here. And, when he was traded there just a general reaction of "meh", oh well, what can you do, good luck Luke.

Morgan Reilly, drafted 5th overall as well, would've been drafted higher by Burke according to him doesn't even get a 5 game tryout despite some lofty comparisons and the general reaction again was "meh", let him develop in junior more (not that I disagree).

Kadri on the other hand, since day 1 in his first training camp, the majority of Leafs fans on here and the media have been all over this guy. From radio hosts saying he will be working at the local Home Depot to printing pictures of him with a pacifier in his mouth (was that Zuckerberg the idiot, again?).

So, what gives? Obviously there is some hate for the guy despite being drafted lower than others and not even hyped as much considering that year he was expected to go around 12th overall. Many of the guys behind him in the draft (remember MSP?) aren't exactly stars either yet and certainly not ligthing up the league. Just wondering where/why much of the unfounded and unwarranted hate for the guy comes from. Its like many Leafs fans want him to be a bust.


Last edited by Tonka: 01-20-2013 at 08:32 PM.
Tonka is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 08:32 PM
  #2
Drew311
Play Me
 
Drew311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,911
vCash: 500
Because he isn't Sidney Stamkos from Buckshot, Saskatchewan.

Drew311 is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 08:34 PM
  #3
iPunch
Leafs Fan
 
iPunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,440
vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
Because he isn't Sidney Stamkos from Buckshot, Saskatchewan.
This is what I think too. For a long time it was because he wasn't Brayden Schenn. He'll make fans this year though.

iPunch is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 08:46 PM
  #4
RogerRoeper*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 21,694
vCash: 500
In some weird world, many people believe he was given a lot of chances and failed. he was a bust.

Cherry is correct, this is his first real chance. The Leafs have really screwed up with him badly.

He has a potential of being a very good second line Centre. The idea of switching him to the wing was asinine.

RogerRoeper* is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 08:47 PM
  #5
leafsfuture
Registered User
 
leafsfuture's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,547
vCash: 500
Because Luke Schenn is a defenceman.

Nazem Kadri is our best forward prospect since Wendel Clark. Most of us Leaf fans havent remembered the Leafs to ever have such an offensively skilled prospect

leafsfuture is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 08:49 PM
  #6
Epictetus
Global Moderator
Create yourself.
 
Epictetus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,516
vCash: 4200
People also hate Phil Kessel, so.

Epictetus is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 08:52 PM
  #7
Hero
Raptors 13/14
 
Hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 18,906
vCash: 50
We all love him.

Hero is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 08:53 PM
  #8
Anthrax442
Registered User
 
Anthrax442's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,104
vCash: 551
His personality, mainly.

Anthrax442 is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 08:53 PM
  #9
TheDoubleDion87
Rookie User
 
TheDoubleDion87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Truculence Nation
Country: Canada
Posts: 215
vCash: 500
I think it's got to do with the fact he was drafted to fill our most glaring organizational hole at centre and the fanbase is understandably impatient. There's also the fact Luke is a dman who as a dman is expected to take longer to develop.

On a related note we realy should have been more patient with Luke, especially in this market. Just one more year in junior would have been extremely beneficial.

TheDoubleDion87 is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 08:55 PM
  #10
Tonka
Diggles
 
Tonka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 8,316
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoubleDion87 View Post
I think it's got to do with the fact he was drafted to fill our most glaring organizational hole at centre and the fanbase is understandably impatient. There's also the fact Luke is a dman who as a dman is expected to take longer to develop.

On a related note we realy should have been more patient with Luke, especially in this market. Just one more year in junior would have been extremely beneficial.
Damn, not only I agree, but I'm watching Community right now too.

Tonka is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 08:56 PM
  #11
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!
 
Leo Trollmarov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthrax442 View Post
His personality, mainly.
Honest kid who likes to have fun? What exactly is it?

Do you want a robot with no personality?

Leo Trollmarov is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 08:57 PM
  #12
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!
 
Leo Trollmarov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthrax442 View Post
His personality, mainly.
Also, irony.

Leo Trollmarov is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 08:59 PM
  #13
Anthrax442
Registered User
 
Anthrax442's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,104
vCash: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessly Snipes View Post
Honest kid who likes to have fun? What exactly is it?

Do you want a robot with no personality?
What you call an honest kid who likes to have fun, I call a whiny brat who has shady work ethic. And yes, I prefer a robot who will work his ass off. If I want personality, I'll watch reality TV.

Anthrax442 is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 09:02 PM
  #14
SeenSchenn2
Have Faith GLG
 
SeenSchenn2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Thornhill, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,684
vCash: 500
It's apparent most of this fan base has something against every player for no reason. GDT's are hilarious to read.

SeenSchenn2 is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 09:03 PM
  #15
Anthrax442
Registered User
 
Anthrax442's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,104
vCash: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessly Snipes View Post
Also, irony.
How so?

Anthrax442 is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 09:04 PM
  #16
ITM
Registered User
 
ITM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 951
vCash: 500
It's pretty convenient to characterize legitimate concern from one segment of Leafs fans as being prejudice from the majority of Leafs fans.

Quote:
Luke Schenn was drafted 5th overall, was loved by most fans but didn't pan out well here. And, when he was traded there just a general reaction of "meh", oh well, what can you do, good luck Luke.
Wrong. Wrong.Wrong.

On Draft Day I would say there was much more division, certainly greater disappointment over having selected Schenn instead of Filatov, amongst others. Schenn was praised his first season, and maligned the rest of the way. When he was traded for JVR, there seemed to be a collective exhale with a maybe he can, maybe he cant attitude, but nigh consensus that too much was expected of him, unfairly simply because he was selected too high.

Quote:
Morgan Reilly, drafted 5th overall as well, would've been drafted higher by Burke according to him doesn't even get a 5 game tryout despite some lofty comparisons and the general reaction again was "meh", let him develop in junior more (not that I disagree).
Again, wrong...And on point, your contriving a point of comparison that doesn't actually exist. Morgan Reilly hasn't demonstrated a thing to warrant anything but praise, anything but optimism, had this club drafted Kadri or not. And you'll recall that the day Burke selected Kadri he likewise clarified that the club had Kadri ranked higher, that they were thrilled to get him where they did...And then there's the now famous miked interaction between Burke and Murray, where any proposition of Murray flipping a pick to get Kadri was instantly squashed...And after Kadri was selected, after his highlight package was viewed, I know fans almost on the whole were very excited to see what he could develop into...as we still are.

Quote:
Kadri on the other hand, since day 1 in his first training camp, the majority of Leafs fans on here and the media have been all over this guy. From radio hosts saying he will be working at the local Home Depot to printing pictures of him with a pacifier in his mouth (was that Zuckerberg the idiot, again?).
Wrong again. And while we're shattering contrived characterizations, let's remember accurately how Kadri presented to the Toronto media...He seemed rather confident, didn't he? Almost a little too confident to the point of expected entitlement, that apparently Wilson and Co. believed was misplaced. And that like the Perrys, and the Getzlafs and the Ryans (as is the norm in a BB run club) could use some seasoning in the AHL.

Don Cherry to the rescue...Repeatedly criticizes the Leafs for not having the kid up -- "magic hands" as it were...You have the same questioning repeat here and in bars where Leafs Nation gathers...Nothing out of the norm. Nothing out of the norm when Crosby or Ovechkin was being criticized by Shanahan or Cherry...Nothing out of the norm from a time when Lindros was being exampled as everything wrong with a young, talented hockey player seemingly too big for his good...Petulance and youth and hockey and Toronto and it's fishbowl media fed hypervigilant fans...

But hmmm...in Kadri's case, it must be something other than hockey, talent, draft position, association with the Burke regime, former favourite NHL club (Montreal), choice of skate brand, stick brand...It must have been something other than legitimate concern of his attitude, his weight, his conditioning, his eating habits, his...Oh <smacks head>...I get it...It's because prejudice and racism run rampant against any non-white, non-Canadian player and life for anyone other than someone born in Buckshot, Saskatchewan it's complaint worthy because -- "I don't know" -- it just seems "every time"...

Honest to God...I'm so sick and tired of this garbage...And flung here the very next day after we win against the Habs with our best forward prospect playing like he belongs, no less.

ITM is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 09:04 PM
  #17
Grant
LL Genius
 
Grant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: London
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,793
vCash: 50
Because its the fun thing to do.




I really hope he does well this year.

Grant is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 09:04 PM
  #18
Crispy Crust
Registered User
 
Crispy Crust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Land of 13 Cups
Posts: 15,374
vCash: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeenSchenn2 View Post
It's apparent most of this fan base has something against every player for no reason. GDT's are hilarious to read.
It almost seems like every poster on here has an agenda against one specific player on the Leafs

Crispy Crust is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 09:05 PM
  #19
Stephen
Registered User
 
Stephen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 31,634
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsfuture View Post
Because Luke Schenn is a defenceman.

Nazem Kadri is our best forward prospect since Wendel Clark. Most of us Leaf fans havent remembered the Leafs to ever have such an offensively skilled prospect
That's not true, we had Vincent Damphousse.

That said, Leafs Nation loves its Good Western Canadian farm boys best, and Kadri clearly does not fit that demographic.

Whatever wholesome goodness you associate with a favourite son like Wendel Clark, I think people see the opposite of that in Kadri.

Stephen is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 09:06 PM
  #20
SeenSchenn2
Have Faith GLG
 
SeenSchenn2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Thornhill, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,684
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispy Crust View Post
It almost seems like every poster on here has an agenda against one specific player on the Leafs
No kidding.

"UGH REIMER LET IN ANOTHER GOAL GLOVE SIDE? TRAD FOR LU 1967 trololol"

SeenSchenn2 is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 09:10 PM
  #21
Tonka
Diggles
 
Tonka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 8,316
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITM View Post
It's pretty convenient to characterize legitimate concern from one segment of Leafs fans as being prejudice from the majority of Leafs fans.



Wrong. Wrong.Wrong.

On Draft Day I would say there was much more division, certainly greater disappointment over having selected Schenn instead of Filatov, amongst others. Schenn was praised his first season, and maligned the rest of the way. When he was traded for JVR, there seemed to be a collective exhale with a maybe he can, maybe he cant attitude, but nigh consensus that too much was expected of him, unfairly simply because he was selected too high.



Again, wrong...And on point, your contriving a point of comparison that doesn't actually exist. Morgan Reilly hasn't demonstrated a thing to warrant anything but praise, anything but optimism, had this club drafted Kadri or not. And you'll recall that the day Burke selected Kadri he likewise clarified that the club had Kadri ranked higher, that they were thrilled to get him where they did...And then there's the now famous miked interaction between Burke and Murray, where any proposition of Murray flipping a pick to get Kadri was instantly squashed...And after Kadri was selected, after his highlight package was viewed, I know fans almost on the whole were very excited to see what he could develop into...as we still are.



Wrong again. And while we're shattering contrived characterizations, let's remember accurately how Kadri presented to the Toronto media...He seemed rather confident, didn't he? Almost a little too confident to the point of expected entitlement, that apparently Wilson and Co. believed was misplaced. And that like the Perrys, and the Getzlafs and the Ryans (as is the norm in a BB run club) could use some seasoning in the AHL.

Don Cherry to the rescue...Repeatedly criticizes the Leafs for not having the kid up -- "magic hands" as it were...You have the same questioning repeat here and in bars where Leafs Nation gathers...Nothing out of the norm. Nothing out of the norm when Crosby or Ovechkin was being criticized by Shanahan or Cherry...Nothing out of the norm from a time when Lindros was being exampled as everything wrong with a young, talented hockey player seemingly too big for his good...Petulance and youth and hockey and Toronto and it's fishbowl media fed hypervigilant fans...

But hmmm...in Kadri's case, it must be something other than hockey, talent, draft position, association with the Burke regime, former favourite NHL club (Montreal), choice of skate brand, stick brand...It must have been something other than legitimate concern of his attitude, his weight, his conditioning, his eating habits, his...Oh <smacks head>...I get it...It's because prejudice and racism run rampant against any non-white, non-Canadian player and life for anyone other than someone born in Buckshot, Saskatchewan it's complaint worthy because -- "I don't know" -- it just seems "every time"...

Honest to God...I'm so sick and tired of this garbage...And flung here the very next day after we win against the Habs with our best forward prospect playing like he belongs, no less.
Insert haters gonna hate gif here.

Tonka is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 09:16 PM
  #22
crump
~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
 
crump's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ontariariario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,061
vCash: 274
This is his year. Probably a year late due to his injury in last years camp. 1st game was impressive, hits, scores, some nice defensive plays. His line was always a threat. Only needs to improve face offs from that game, but apparently was fine in that regard in camp. I like his attitude, wants to be the guy. Let him try. Results look good so far.

crump is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 09:18 PM
  #23
7even
Moderator
Deus Ex Machina
 
7even's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Georgia
Country: United States
Posts: 7,946
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthrax442 View Post
What you call an honest kid who likes to have fun, I call a whiny brat who has shady work ethic. And yes, I prefer a robot who will work his ass off. If I want personality, I'll watch reality TV.
I guess it's a good thing the game isn't about who's got the winning personality eh? Cry me a river.

To the OP: he's needed development time. If this were Detroit, people would be calling him a can't miss guy. Because if Detroit shoves their prospects in the minors until they're 22, it's called development. Here in Toronto, we drafted a bust.

7even is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 09:30 PM
  #24
crump
~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
 
crump's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ontariariario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,061
vCash: 274
Lets not make sweeping generalizations about racism. Certainly it exists, and it clouds some people's judgment on a players ability, but it is insulting to a lot of people to be lumped into that minority just because they don't favor a certain player. Lets keeps that discussion for the politics board.

crump is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 09:36 PM
  #25
KPower
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,964
vCash: 500
He has a reputation for being cocky and lazy.

Whether or not its warranted I'm not sure.

Leaf fans have historically loved gritty, hard working players.

KPower is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:17 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.