HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Cole's Plus/Minus: Game 2 Penguins vs. Rangers

Old
01-20-2013, 09:10 PM
M0NTY26
Force from Ma'gorsk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
+ Huge plus to Glass's post-game talk about the fight. That was hilarious. He said Asham said "good luck" and gave him props. Was pretty funny. I'm starting to like Glass as a character guy.
You've gotta respect guys like that. It was interesting and neat to hear him say that they've come to know and respect/like each other through airport encounters, yet they'll still go out there and throw down... then after a vicious 30-60 second fight, tap each other on the lid and say good job. j

I love that kind of stuff.

M0NTY26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by td_ice View Post
Good call KIRK! He does seemed to have a renewed sense of his defensive responsibilities.
There were at least 3-4 times he came back and got the puck from a clear scoring chance (prime in the slot). His defensive game, outside of his one gaffe, was tremendous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tafkak View Post
Artem was even better. If they can continue to build around their new mindset, the trade won't be as lopsided as everyone initially made it out to be.
Yeah I agree with you. I actually FELT their new mindset on the ice. That was not a Columbus team I was used to. They have that Florida vibe to it from last season. They don't have the talent to keep it up, but I definitely felt that watching the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques G View Post
Yeah, Nash is the only one on that team (in their 1st two games anyways) who looks like they know what's going on. And the Gabborick-Richards-Nash line has zero chemistry. Huge downfall for such a big acquisition to have so little time to prepare.
Them missing out on a camp was the worst thing possible. Those guys needed a long camp and a long season.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Steve Holt
Embrace the hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhindian View Post
...seriously? Vokoun was freakin' solid.
Not really. He made some big saves, but his rebound control was lacking and his overall positioning was suspect.

Steve Holt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Please explain. Only time I ever noticed him really doing something was getting in Geno's and Neal's way. I mean, I guess he forechecked o'k a few times, but Glass can do that.

EDIT: I'd love to be wrong here-- and, again, I'm not advocating pulling the plug-- but please tell me what I missed.
You missed that Tangradi worked hard on the forecheck and didn't screw plays up. He also almost had a goal while getting to the net for a rebound. When he isn't being used more by his linemates, it is hard to expect more. Lets just invest the time in getting him solid as a third wheel, then more production will follow.

This is the time to invest in Despres and Tangradi getting it. There is absolutely no reason to not let them get quality minutes in the early days of the season. Less so when we are winning.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 09:12 PM
nhindian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tafkak View Post
No exageration on my end, his breakout passing has been outstanding. As others have pointed out, when he is pressured he has been making the bad passes/turnovers.
Maybe, but nowhere near best on the team.

nhindian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 09:13 PM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superunknown94 View Post
Not really. He made some big saves, but his rebound control was lacking and his overall positioning was suspect.
Wasn't that bad, maybe the rebound control but ill give him a few games. Still a decent performance

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 09:13 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by td_ice View Post
Good call KIRK! He does seemed to have a renewed sense of his defensive responsibilities.
Let's hope Bylsma doesn't beat it out of him again. Aside from the sloppy 4th assist (), his line is playing much better defensively this year despite the downgrade from Kunitz to Tangradi.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 09:14 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyg26 View Post
I'm not getting the Tangradi hate either?

It's too early to be too concerned but 87 and 14 are just not on the same wavelength.
Concerned is maybe the wrong word.

Crosby had at least six atrocious passes that would of gotten a rookie sent to the A.

If it isn't clicking, play smart and don't hurt the team with bad turnovers.

That said, he will turn it around, no worries.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Ugene Malkin
****!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
he had a few good cycling shifts and he had a pretty nice chance in front of the net. I wouldn't say he looked good, but he looked better than yesterday. That's the real key.
I'll go with this, and who's looking for Tangradi anyways with how Geno/James are playing?

Just tie people up and get the puck to them, anywhere near them.

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
alcanalz
whys and wherefores

vCash: 193
Misses Orpik's hit on Kreider, anyone got a video?

alcanalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 09:15 PM
MtlPenFan

Tangradi has to understand how short his leash is. He needs to run someone through the glass with that frame of his.

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 09:15 PM
edog37

Quote:
That's the key . . . down the road, in April, when we really need him. It's just so important to find out with someone like him whether and how much he can be relied upon when the playoffs come. Bylsma didn't do it last year. He seems **** bent on doing it this year. I, for one, applaud him for it.
by all means, Despres needs to stay up here on the big club, but we need to lower our expectations. He's a rookie making a lot of rookie mistakes. He'll be better down the road, but my timeline is about 2 years, not 2 months....

edog37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 09:16 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcanalz View Post
It was like the hit on Skinner. Only funnier.

Old
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
Tangradi has to understand how short his leash is. He needs to run someone through the glass with that frame of his.
I think the opposite. He needs to relax and just be himself. He tries to hard sometimes and it makes no sense. Just relax. That's what he needs to do.

Old
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques G View Post
I thought he was great on the forecheck as I mentioned earlier, just when they get the puck he gets all ****ed up. He plays like a guy trying to keep the other team from getting the puck, not a guy trying to score. I noticed one good read he had when Malkin dished it to him in the lane, but I didn't notice much else when he was on offense.
You know, others here saw a little more positive to hang their hats on. I'm a little more with the pessimistic crowd in terms of evaluating today's play. We'll see. As I said, he's got time, but I'd like to see a little more like we're seeing with Despres, because he's not really being asked to play much defense (Geno is covering for him there).

Old
01-20-2013, 09:17 PM
nhindian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superunknown94 View Post
And did any of that lead to goals against?

Yeah he seemed to be fighting some shots, but a minus? Please.

Old
01-20-2013, 09:18 PM
KIRK

Quote:
There were at least 3-4 times he came back and got the puck from a clear scoring chance (prime in the slot). His defensive game, outside of his one gaffe, was tremendous.

Yeah I agree with you. I actually FELT their new mindset on the ice. That was not a Columbus team I was used to. They have that Florida vibe to it from last season. They don't have the talent to keep it up, but I definitely felt that watching the game.

Them missing out on a camp was the worst thing possible. Those guys needed a long camp and a long season.
They felt like a team where everyone wanted to be there.

Old
Kreider
My name is Nils

vCash: 50
I might just be blind, but for both games now I barely noticed Crosby (Not that that's a bad thing )
Even if he doesn't score, I'm used to seeing dominate with the puck, and be noticeable every shift. Anyone know what's up?

Kreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MrBurgundy
Dan was a bad choice

Quote:
Uh, I'm not sure that the sarcasm smilie is warranted here, because the statement strikes me as more factual than sarcastic tonight given how Geno and Neal were going.

In all seriousness, how many time did you see him getting in the way of one of them in the offensive zone? He was an absolute black hole tonight. I'll cut him a little slack, but he's really got to start showing me something like Despres. I mean, when you're hard pressed to cite something that stood out for a player that everyone is watching (to see how he does), then it's a problem. And, one really can't blame Bylsma so far.
You couldn't be more wrong about Tangradi. He forechecked well, got in front lf the net like he is supposed to, got the puck to Malkin, and didnt make any glaring mistakes. He looked a lot better tonight than last night.

You being Malkin's biggest fanboy can't stand when any player doesn't make Malkin look better even if it's not that players fault.

MrBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MtlPenFan

Quote:
I think the opposite. He needs to relax and just be himself. He tries to hard sometimes and it makes no sense. Just relax. That's what he needs to do.
He's actually skating hard enough on retrievals to get there at the same time as the D, but he's just rubbing guys out rather than pasting them. He's too big to not be doing that.

Old
01-20-2013, 09:19 PM
zhenyas most fly rep

Quote:
Only real minus was the team turning off the intensity level at 5-1. Understandable why it happened, but still don't like to see it.

Despres is going to be like a Dickens novel . . . it was the best of time and it was the worst of times for him today. But, I saw progress there.

Tangradi-- and people will remember that I was saying it was positive 'baby steps' for him yesterday-- looked like a black hole out there with Geno and Neal.

Anyone else like the few shifts from Glass-Vitale-TK tonight? A new RW for Sid, a new LW for Geno, Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis (a true checking line), Glass-Vitale-Kennedy, kidnap Bylsma's lineup card, and good ******** luck dealing with that.
Hey Kirk, I don't know if you had the opportunity to watch many games from Zhenya back in Russia, but his game tonight(I know they were already doing it last year but), his connection particularly tonight with Neal, that's what I've been watching for about 2 months between him and Mozyakin. (only it was each and every game there) Eventhough Mozyakin and #18 are obviously different players, that was uncanny the similarities. I mean the first was carbon copy of many, many Mozyakin PP goals.
Also, don't you sense that this period playing in Russia may have kind of reset Malkin's game, he's playing more like he was at the start of his NHL career : pass first kind of player, way better in all defensive parts of his game. Only he is much more experienced and a whole different player physically..

zhenyas most fly rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 09:20 PM
nhindian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Del Ziti View Post
I might just be blind, but for both games now I barely noticed Crosby (Not that that's a bad thing )
Even if he doesn't score, I'm used to seeing dominate with the puck, and be noticeable every shift. Anyone know what's up?
He didn't play any hockey during the break. Just some signs of rust I hope.

He'll get it together

Old
01-20-2013, 09:21 PM
KIRK

Quote:
I really think, at long last, that's what the coaching staff is trying to impress upon him.

By the same token, MtlPenFan is right in the sense that the leash won't last forever. As long as the team is winning and Geno-Neal look fine together, they'll give him a chance. But, if we don't see some real progress as we get later into February, then I think they'll pull the plug, and I'd be the first to say rightfully so.

Old
01-20-2013, 09:22 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

But hey.. ET needs about 10 more games of the same ice time. I don't want to see ******** where he's on the 4th line. Keep the lines the same. In fact, our bottom 6 is REALLY working well together.

Glass-Vitale-Adams = awesome. They actually worked well in the o-zone today.

Cooke-Sutter-TK.... come on. They are one of the best 3rd lines in the league.

Just keep the lines the same, Bylsma.

Old
01-20-2013, 09:22 PM
DegenX
Mixing the Kool-Aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcanalz View Post

DegenX is offline   Reply With Quote