HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cole's Plus/Minus: Game 2 Penguins vs. Rangers

Old
01-20-2013, 09:23 PM
KIRK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhenyas most fly rep View Post
Hey Kirk, I don't know if you had the opportunity to watch many games from Zhenya back in Russia, but his game tonight(I know they were already doing it last year but), his connection particularly tonight with Neal, that's what I've been watching for about 2 months between him and Mozyakin. (only it was each and every game there) Eventhough Mozyakin and #18 are obviously different players, that was uncanny the similarities. I mean the first was carbon copy of many, many Mozyakin PP goals.
Also, don't you sense that this period playing in Russia may have kind of reset Malkin's game, he's playing more like he was at the start of his NHL career : pass first kind of player, way better in all defensive parts of his game. Only he is much more experienced and a whole different player physically..
Yep, Geno's game in Russia was playmaking and defense. The goals came once he got those things settled. And, yes, I've noticed the similarities with Mozyakin and Neal in terms of how Geno plays with them. I'd like to see some similarity (any similarity) between his other winger now and that guy who played on his other wing in Russia.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 09:23 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
I think the opposite. He needs to relax and just be himself. He tries to hard sometimes and it makes no sense. Just relax. That's what he needs to do.
well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
I really think, at long last, that's what the coaching staff is trying to impress upon him.

By the same token, MtlPenFan is right in the sense that the leash won't last forever. As long as the team is winning and Geno-Neal look fine together, they'll give him a chance. But, if we don't see some real progress as we get later into February, then I think they'll pull the plug, and I'd be the first to say rightfully so.
I'd say there was already some real progress from yesterday to today.

Ogrezilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 09:25 PM
Zen Arcade
Seen Spaling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopens66 View Post
Somebody please upload a video of that hit. I missed the end of the game picking up my kid from work.

Not my video.

Zen Arcade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
BigBenSF*

Tangradi with another disappointing game. Just do SOMETHING out there man. If we want a guy who can forecheck on our top 6 then put ****in Glass on their line.

Tangradi's gotten a free ride for too long. There is no reason that he should be in our top 6. I'd rather deal him and pick up Sykora to play on our top 6, honestly.

BigBenSF* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
WVP

Despres is a dynamic player. Might be a few sloppy years like Letang went through but he's definitely a talent. I can see him growing into Letang's partner for the long term.

Still want to give Tangradi 10-15 games, but man, he rarely makes his mark on the game.

WVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MrBurghundy
Never forget: #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
There was already some real progress from yesterday to today.
He looked like a good 3rd wheel, which is exactly what that line needs him to be right now.

MrBurghundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 09:26 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
You missed that Tangradi worked hard on the forecheck and didn't screw plays up. He also almost had a goal while getting to the net for a rebound. When he isn't being used more by his linemates, it is hard to expect more. Lets just invest the time in getting him solid as a third wheel, then more production will follow.

This is the time to invest in Despres and Tangradi getting it. There is absolutely no reason to not let them get quality minutes in the early days of the season. Less so when we are winning.
Have I suggested otherwise? Now is the time to see with him, but that isn't to say that the organization shouldn't start to make an assessment later next month on whether he can cut it there come playoffs. The coaches are giving him a chance. Geno is busting his *** defensively to cover. This most assuredly is his chance, and I've done nothing but hope here that he makes the most of it.

Old
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Del Ziti View Post
I might just be blind, but for both games now I barely noticed Crosby (Not that that's a bad thing )
Even if he doesn't score, I'm used to seeing dominate with the puck, and be noticeable every shift. Anyone know what's up?
His timing is off, sucks but the guy hasn't played since last year. Had a few good shifts but its been though. I expect a big game from Sid on Wednesday

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Penguinzilla*

+ Malkin. His 3rd assist to Neal was insane.
+ Martin looks like he figured out how to play hockey again!
+ Defense. Everyone played well.
+ Jagr. I don't care who he plays for, I'm still a big fan.
- Trangradi. I've been a big lets-give-him-every-chance-possible person, but he is just horrible. Get rid of him now. Trade him for a box of poop and/or a bag of Pizza Combos.
- Kunitz. Is it me, or does something not seem right? He's not doing much.
- Vockum (sp). It's early, but he looked out of position a lot, like Johnson.

Everyone else was good.

Penguinzilla* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MrBurghundy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBenSF View Post
Tangradi with another disappointing game. Just do SOMETHING out there man. If we want a guy who can forecheck on our top 6 then put ****in Glass on their line.

Tangradi's gotten a free ride for too long. There is no reason that he should be in our top 6. I'd rather deal him and pick up Sykora to play on our top 6, honestly.
It's posts like this that make me

Old
JTG

This team is a tweak or two away from having very limited flaws. I've been incredibly impressed with Matt Niskanen. I think he doesn't look out of place at all. Really great play by him. Same goes for Tangradi.

I'm under the impression after the scrimmage and 2 games, Simon Despres needs to be in the AHL for a little longer.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 09:27 PM
Scandale du Jour
JordanStaal#1Fan

vCash: 2066
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
I think the opposite. He needs to relax and just be himself. He tries to hard sometimes and it makes no sense. Just relax. That's what he needs to do.
This. If he isn't a PF, we shouldn't force him to be a PF. Montreal did that with Latendresse and he performed like **** with them. Minnesota let him be who he trully is and he produced, when healthy, for them. Tangradi might be the same kind of player. I don't think he has as much skills as Latendresse, but my point was that you can't force players to be what they are not.

Scandale du Jour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 09:27 PM
Tafkak

Send a message via AIM to Tafkak
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhindian View Post
And did any of that lead to goals against?

Yeah he seemed to be fighting some shots, but a minus? Please.
No one gave him a minus. Some just aren't seeing the pluses. His rebound control and puck cover were shaky, at best. He still played a solid game.

As I post that, someone gives him a minus.. Sigh

Tafkak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 09:28 PM
MrBurghundy

Quote:
Have I suggested otherwise? Now is the time to see with him, but that isn't to say that the organization shouldn't start to make an assessment later next month on whether he can cut it there come playoffs. The coaches are giving him a chance. Geno is busting his *** defensively to cover. This most assuredly is his chance, and I've done nothing but hope here that he makes the most of it.
Just because Geno is bustig his ass defensively doesn't mean Tangradi isn't doing his job in his own zone.

Old
KIRK

Quote:
well said.

I'd say there was already some real progress from yesterday to today.
I don't know. I didn't really see it, and remember I was at the forefront of the defenders' chorus yesterday. We'll see how it plays out. I'm not calling for a change.

Old
zhenyas most fly rep

Quote:
I'm with you guys on Despres. I wish we saw anything close to similarly encouraging ups from Tangradi tonight.
I maintain what I was saying last night, I can't see him working out on that line. Too many deficiencies in his game(even in a third wheel role) to play in the top 6 in NHL. And his potential, I'm sorry I don't see it.
Despres I loved him last year, I won't change my opinion on him as he is experimenting the usual growing pains of a rookie dmen with potential. I mean did you see that pass? the first of many.

zhenyas most fly rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
OGBobbyFarnham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Del Ziti View Post
I might just be blind, but for both games now I barely noticed Crosby (Not that that's a bad thing )
Even if he doesn't score, I'm used to seeing dominate with the puck, and be noticeable every shift. Anyone know what's up?
I'd attribute it to not playing actual NHL games for such a lengthy period of time and not having much winger help. Many have said he looked his normal self in practices etc. but actual games are different. Just has to get used to higher level of speed/intensity in games.

OGBobbyFarnham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MrBurghundy

Quote:
I don't know. I didn't really see it, and remember I was at the forefront of the defenders' chorus yesterday. We'll see how it plays out. I'm not calling for a change.
Just because you didn't see it doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Old
01-20-2013, 09:29 PM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
This team is a tweak or two away from having very limited flaws. I've been incredibly impressed with Matt Niskanen. I think he doesn't look out of place at all. Really great play by him. Same goes for Tangradi.

I'm under the impression after the scrimmage and 2 games, Simon Despres needs to be in the AHL for a little longer.
Makes the Neal trade even more lop sided. His play has been awesome since last year, glad Shero signed him and didn't let him go

Old
zhenyas most fly rep

Quote:
Yep, Geno's game in Russia was playmaking and defense. The goals came once he got those things settled. And, yes, I've noticed the similarities with Mozyakin and Neal in terms of how Geno plays with them. I'd like to see some similarity (any similarity) between his other winger now and that guy who played on his other wing in Russia.
Ah ah not happening anytime soon I'm afraid..
edit: until Trade deadline at least

zhenyas most fly rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Tangradi was at worst OK today. If production is the only thing that will make people happy with him, expect to be disappointed for a while. He looked ok yesterday but a bit lost. He looked better today. He looked good a few times. That's a step in the right direction. He was about half a foot from scoring a goal. He wasn't even the worst top 6 forward we had on the ice today.

Ogrezilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 09:30 PM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanStaal#1Fan View Post
This. If he isn't a PF, we shouldn't force him to be a PF. Montreal did that with Latendresse and he performed like **** with them. Minnesota let him be who he trully is and he produced, when healthy, for them. Tangradi might be the same kind of player. I don't think he has as much skills as Latendresse, but my point was that you can't force players to be what they are not.
I think people expect too much simply because of who he is playing with

Old
01-20-2013, 09:32 PM
MrBurghundy

Quote:
Tangradi was at worst OK today. If production is the only thing that will make people happy with him, expect to be disappointed. He looked ok yesterday but a bit lost. He looked better today. He looked good a few times. He wasn't even the worst top 6 forward we had today.
He looked like a competent 3rd wheel that allowed Malkin and Neal play their game. He also forechecked well and got stronger toward the end of the game.

Old
vodeni

Quote:
Originally Posted by End of Line View Post
He'll disappear for the next couple games. Trust me. He's overrated as hell.
I am so with you on this one

vodeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Scandale du Jour
JordanStaal#1Fan

vCash: 2066
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Magnifique 66 View Post
I think people expect too much simply because of who he is playing with
Maybe or they (I) expect him to do things he doesn't have in him. Sometimes, you can "destroy" a player by asking him to go against his nature. I'm not saying that's the case with Tangradi, I don't know him enough, but I think it is a valid hypothesis.

Scandale du Jour is offline   Reply With Quote