Old
01-22-2013, 07:55 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Like all Super Bowl winning quarterbacks, I'm expecting his hype to increase substantially should he manage to win. Watch folks that would've otherwise not even considered him a top 10 QB suddenly talking about him like he's the greatest thing since sliced bread should the Ravens win.

But, no surprise, as the NFL is a what have you done for me lately league. I'm sure even Jay Cutler would get hyped up if we won Super Bowl. stop laughing
Not trying to call you out on the point, but just for fun, which QBs are better than haven't won a Super Bowl? I'm not talking about skill level and things like that, ultimately QBs are judged on the cumulative results they've produced for their team (so that we don't get Trent-Dilfer-won-a-Super-Bowl people)

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 09:28 AM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

vCash: 500
Pay the man.

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 09:57 AM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Not trying to call you out on the point, but just for fun, which QBs are better than haven't won a Super Bowl? I'm not talking about skill level and things like that, ultimately QBs are judged on the cumulative results they've produced for their team (so that we don't get Trent-Dilfer-won-a-Super-Bowl people)
Wilson, RG3, Newton when factoring in rushing ability, Dalton, Kaepernick looks like he could be, Luck probably will be, Stafford can be. Rivers probably still is. Romo and Ryan during the regular season. Schaub and Cutler are debatable.

And of course SB winners Brady, both Mannings, Roethlisberger, Brees, Rodgers.

Flacco definitely steps his game up in the postseason (the anti-Matt Ryan), but I still wouldn't call him top 10. If you count Matt Ryan (I would), I've named 18 QBs. Before this season I probably would have had him right around 12. There have been a lot of young QBs to step up big time this year.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:52 PM
Central PA Hawk Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by What the Faulk View Post
Wilson, RG3, Newton when factoring in rushing ability, Dalton, Kaepernick looks like he could be, Luck probably will be, Stafford can be. Rivers probably still is. Romo and Ryan during the regular season. Schaub and Cutler are debatable.

Flacco definitely steps his game up in the postseason (the anti-Matt Ryan), but I still wouldn't call him top 10. If you count Matt Ryan (I would), I've named 18 QBs. Before this season I probably would have had him right around 12. There have been a lot of young QBs to step up big time this year.
Let me know when Daulton, Romo, or Schaub accomplish more than what Flacco has done. The number NFL GMs that would trade Flacco for any of those guys is very small. Guys like RG3 and Kaepernick are too early into their careers to say, so I'd take them out of the equation. Its your opinion so whatever, but the mere fact you're listing some of these guys looks like you're going through some personal bias against Flacco looking for anyway to dock him.

Central PA Hawk Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 04:03 PM
Clowe Me

vCash: 50
I will appreciate Flacco if he throws 2-3 int's next Sunday.

Clowe Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 05:07 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central PA Hawk Fan View Post
Let me know when Daulton, Romo, or Schaub accomplish more than what Flacco has done. The number NFL GMs that would trade Flacco for any of those guys is very small. Guys like RG3 and Kaepernick are too early into their careers to say, so I'd take them out of the equation. Its your opinion so whatever, but the mere fact you're listing some of these guys looks like you're going through some personal bias against Flacco looking for anyway to dock him.
Or, I've watched Flacco more than just once or twice. DALton is already better, Romo has been better during the regular season and I've already said Schaub is debatable. I'm glad you're in tight with the NFL GMs to know how they stand, but the NFL GMs I know would trade Flacco for those guys.

RG3 is already better, and Kaepernick is in the Super Bowl, so let's not take them out of the equation either.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 07:31 PM
GirouxGiroux
Visioneer

Quote:
I was at the game too, and I remember how he played (not good enough). Our defense was pretty poor that year, but good on him for racking up a bunch of yards. He's still not that great. Not top 10.
ASU was ranked 22nd in passing efficiency defense that year, and if you throw out the crappy mid-majors, they were ranked 5th. And, as I said before, two of their defensive starters that year are still in the NFL.

But what do I know. Andy Dalton is better than Flacco? lol.

GirouxGiroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:35 AM
PDO

Send a message via AIM to PDO
Quote:

So you think the Ravens are in the SB if they have any of Wilson, RG3, Newton, Dalton, Stafford, Rivers, Romo, Ryan, Schaub or Cutler as their QB?

PDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:14 PM
Clowe Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirouxGiroux View Post

But what do I know. Andy Dalton is better than Flacco? lol.
In each of his first 2 years in the league, Dalton has finished with a better comp % than Flacco, who was playing in his 4th and 5th seasons.

Old
01-24-2013, 01:38 AM
GirouxGiroux
Visioneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me View Post
In each of his first 2 years in the league, Dalton has finished with a better comp % than Flacco, who was playing in his 4th and 5th seasons.
Pop Quiz: Who is the NFL's all-time completion pct. leader?

I hope we've learned something here.

Old
01-24-2013, 09:09 AM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

Quote:

I believe it's Chad Pennington, unless Rodgers or Brees surpassed him this year.

Big Poppa Puck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 04:30 PM
GirouxGiroux
Visioneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRep TheWingedWheel View Post
I believe it's Chad Pennington, unless Rodgers or Brees surpassed him this year.
Nope, still Chad.

Old
01-24-2013, 04:38 PM
MrFunnyWobbl
So Aaron Baddeley

Send a message via AIM to MrFunnyWobbl
erryone loves flacco

MrFunnyWobbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 04:47 PM
kanuck87

Quote:
Flacco doesn't have AJ Green to throw to. I've seen a few Cincy games and it's apparent that Dalton relies on Green a lot, maybe even too much.

kanuck87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 04:48 PM
Clowe Me

Quote:

How is that related to Flacco and Dalton?

Everyone knows Pennington wasn't a great qb, and comp % isn't the best way rate a qb for a lot of different factors, but it does serve as a barometer. Dalton in his 1st and 2nd years in the league had a better comp % than did Flacco. To say Flacco is remarkably better than Dalton or vice versa would be a downright fib. IMO, they're very comparable and neither one stands out from the other.

Old
01-24-2013, 04:49 PM
Clowe Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuck87 View Post
Flacco doesn't have AJ Green to throw to. I've seen a few Cincy games and it's apparent that Dalton relies on Green a lot, maybe even too much.
Flacco has Torrey Smith, Boldin and Pitta. He also gets to dump the ball off to Ray Rice. Not too shabby.

Old
01-24-2013, 05:00 PM
kanuck87

Quote:
Flacco has Torrey Smith, Boldin and Pitta. He also gets to dump the ball off to Ray Rice. Not too shabby.
None of those guys are AJ Green, not even remotely close.

Joe Flacco hasnt had too many good WRs to play with over his 5-year career thus far.

kanuck87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 06:20 PM
puckguy11
This Space for Rent

vCash: 774
I do find Flacco underrated; in fact, I would have started him more on my fantasy team if not for a guy named Tom Brady and the rather weak AFC East opponents. Funny thing though, more often than not, Flacco and Brady would be about even point wise.

puckguy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 06:31 PM
GirouxGiroux
Visioneer

Quote:
Everyone knows Pennington wasn't a great qb, and comp % isn't the best way rate a qb for a lot of different factors, but it does serve as a barometer.

Old
01-24-2013, 08:08 PM
Clowe Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuck87 View Post
None of those guys are AJ Green, not even remotely close.

Joe Flacco hasnt had too many good WRs to play with over his 5-year career thus far.
Anquan Boldin was one of the better wr's in the game not too long ago. Torrey Smith is a solid deep threat and Pitta is an above average TE. Rice is also a top-10 RB in the league.

Dalton has 3 playmakers on offense: Green, Gresham and Green-Ellis. Green is obviously the best wr/te of the bunch, but Flacco has a much better supporting cast around him, on both sides of the ball.

Quote:
pointless gif
So, are you going to address the original argument of Dalton/Flacco? Or are you going to continue to be an ass?

Last edited by Clowe Me: 01-24-2013 at 08:14 PM.
Old
01-24-2013, 08:28 PM
GirouxGiroux
Visioneer

Quote:
So, are you going to address the original argument of Dalton/Flacco? Or are you going to continue to be an ass?
What argument? You didn't make an argument. You posted a single stat that you then admitted isn't a good way to compare QBs. And then stood by it?

Here's a stat: Andy Dalton has never been to the Super Bowl.

Old
01-24-2013, 08:43 PM
Clowe Me

Quote:
What argument? You didn't make an argument. You posted a single stat that you then admitted isn't a good way to compare QBs. And then stood by it?
Me:

Quote:
Dalton in his 1st and 2nd years in the league had a better comp % than did Flacco. To say Flacco is remarkably better than Dalton or vice versa would be a downright fib. IMO, they're very comparable and neither one stands out from the other.
You "lol"ed at another poster who said Dalton was better. I posted that stat and another post that summed up my opinion of Dalton/Flacco, which was that the guys are pretty even and that neither one is much better than the other. What is your opinion on that?

Quote:
A couple things: SB is a team stat. Baltimore's team won those games and are in the sb, not just Flacco. Same with the 49ers.

Also, this is Flacco's 5th year playing on a very good team. Dalton has played 2 years on teams with less depth.

Old
01-24-2013, 10:17 PM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

Quote:
This is a terrible argument.

#1 Dalton has only been around 2 years and took a team picking 4th overall in his draft year to back-to-back playoff appearances and Flacco basically inherited playoff team.

#2 By that logic Flacco > Warren Moon. Super Bowls are a team stat, no matter how good your QB is you still need a good team around them.

Dilfer, Johnson, Grossman, the Redskins musical QBs back in the day all got to Super Bowls. And I'm sure there's others mediocre-to-bad ones who got there that I am forgetting.

Obviously Flacco isn't as bad as those I listed but I'm not gonna start calling him elite or great because of one playoff run and use that to over look past inconsistencies. I'd compare Flacco more to 1998 Chris Chandler more than anything.

Flacco is an inconsistent mid-tier QB in the 10-20 range who got hot for the playoffs. All things being equal I'd probably take Dalton over him but it's close.

Brady, Rodgers, Peyton, Brees, Ben, Eli, Griffin, Ryan and Luck are all QBs I'd take for sure over Flacco.

Then you have Stafford, Cutler, Schaub, Newton, Rivers, Dalton, Wilson, Freeman and Romo in the next tier with Flacco. (I won't include Kaerpernick yet, too small of a sample size).

Other than maybe Romo, Schaub, and Freeman I'd probably take all of them over Flacco as well.

(side bar: WTF happened to Philip Rivers? As of 2010 he was in my Top 5-6. Now I'm comparing him to Joe Flacco.)

Big Poppa Puck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 12:32 AM
Rhaego

Still sucks

midtier qb nothing more nothing less

Rhaego is offline   Reply With Quote