HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

This is a Bad Hockey Team: Part 2

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-24-2013, 08:47 AM
  #151
Sparksrus3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,239
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leetch66 View Post
I think we all know that Sather is just watching things right now and knows that he will have to get a D man sooner or later and he is probably already chatting with other GM's as to who is available and for what . We seriously lack a quick thinking offensive dynamo that can shoot one timers on the PP . It is depressing watching our guys on the PP from the point !!! With the right guy that could lead to an easy 30 or more goals a year on the PP . Those guys I guess are just hard to come by...how much contract does Markov have left ???

The Trade deadline is not that far off and something will go down to improve the club before the playoffs begin . I don't expect him to not make any deals unless he actually thinks this team ,as it is , can do it...and if he thinks that , then we have a very serious off ice problem in upper management !
2 words LUBIMIR VIZNOVSKI .

Sparksrus3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 09:47 AM
  #152
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!
 
Florida Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tampa, FLA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,002
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blooblood View Post
no schenn or hartnell. shut down giroux and you shut down the flyers
No Briere either. Throw pucks at the net.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 10:45 AM
  #153
94now
Registered User
 
94now's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Snow Belt, USA
Country: United Nations
Posts: 6,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
Sometimes success reinforces the importance of hard work. Sometimes it makes you forget that hard work got you there in the first place. This is a talented hockey club. The effort and focus hasn't be there. That can be fixed quickly. I'm not concerned.
Lack of hard work is often used as an excuse to poor management (not just in hockey).

Hard work + Talent = Skills.
Skills + Management = Promice
Success = Promice + Luck

Therefore

Success = Hard Work + Talent + Luck + Management

You miss one of the 4 components - good buy! There is absolutely no way to substitute Talent or Management with hard work.

IMO, we won last nite not just because players played harder. But rather because of better Management (Coach matched lines and offered updated playbook) and also Luck.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 08:38 PM
  #154
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 500
Captain Teflon has been garbage for the last 20 games. Zero accountability by the media/fans since he's a media darling.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 08:41 PM
  #155
qwertyaas
LGR@
 
qwertyaas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 4,918
vCash: 500
4 games, they show up for half a period. They aren't necessarily bad. They just don't care.

qwertyaas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 08:48 PM
  #156
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
SnowblindNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 17,601
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyaas View Post
4 games, they show up for half a period. They aren't necessarily bad. They just don't care.
This is the worst effort I've seen on a team since the 04-05 lockout. However those teams before that were legitimately bad. The team doesn't give a ****. Torts' message has clearly has been lost. Either need to blow this team up or get rid of Torts. I can't think of a team that I've ever watched that had so little effort for talent. The team has betrayed its fan base. Until they start caring I'm done with them.

SnowblindNYR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 08:58 PM
  #157
Capitain Midnight
Trust me, I'm a doc
 
Capitain Midnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United Nations
Posts: 630
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Lack of hard work is often used as an excuse to poor management (not just in hockey).

Hard work + Talent = Skills.
Skills + Management = Promice
Success = Promice + Luck

Therefore

Success = Hard Work + Talent + Luck + Management

You miss one of the 4 components - good buy! There is absolutely no way to substitute Talent or Management with hard work.

IMO, we won last nite not just because players played harder. But rather because of better Management (Coach matched lines and offered updated playbook) and also Luck.
There is absolutely no way to substitute for proper grammar and spelling. Man, that was difficult to read through...

Capitain Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 09:03 PM
  #158
Tawnos
A guy with a bass
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 12,178
vCash: 500
Anyway, every concern I voiced over this past offseason has been borne out so far early in the year. No chemistry. No depth. We don't even have a second line right now.

That being said, it's still crazy early. The Rangers were 3-3-3 in the first 9 last year. I'm not worried yet.


Last edited by JeffMangum: 01-25-2013 at 12:00 AM.
Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 09:28 PM
  #159
DeadPuck
Registered User
 
DeadPuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 892
vCash: 500
2011-2012

DeadPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 09:42 PM
  #160
McSauer
Defense Wins Games
 
McSauer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Providence, RI
Country: United States
Posts: 390
vCash: 500
Embarrassing

McSauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 09:51 PM
  #161
StaalWars
TeaOrrCoffey
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,315
vCash: 500
Richards has looked old to me this season. He's still got the skill as we saw on that pass last night but he just doesn't look good physically. The way he got dominated by Giroux in the circle at the end there was embarrassing.

StaalWars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 09:52 PM
  #162
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 30,019
vCash: 500
Awards:
Worst hockey team to play in Manhattan.

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 10:27 PM
  #163
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss
 
Glen Teflon Sather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bloomfield, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,188
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
I think Stepan has reached his ceiling IMO. He's maxed out. He's not a good skater, doesn't have a great shot, lousy on face offs, gets knocked off the puck easily. Look, I think if you can find the right deal you do it down the road.

Glen Teflon Sather is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 10:39 PM
  #164
Callagraves
Block shots
 
Callagraves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6,372
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
Captain Teflon has been garbage for the last 20 games. Zero accountability by the media/fans since he's a media darling.
You're known on the boards as a Cally hater, but seriously, you're wrong. You're reaching back to the Devils series, which he was one of our best forwards at the end of, and he was one of our best in the first 3 games.

He played a **** game tonight. Everyone did.

And Captain Teflon? I don't get it.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 10:43 PM
  #165
Callagraves
Block shots
 
Callagraves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6,372
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
This is the worst effort I've seen on a team since the 04-05 lockout. However those teams before that were legitimately bad. The team doesn't give a ****. Torts' message has clearly has been lost. Either need to blow this team up or get rid of Torts. I can't think of a team that I've ever watched that had so little effort for talent. The team has betrayed its fan base. Until they start caring I'm done with them.
No you're not. You'll stay here and scream about how you're done with them. All day.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 10:47 PM
  #166
Affinity
Registered User
 
Affinity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Toms River, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 7,218
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callagraves View Post
You're known on the boards as a Cally hater, but seriously, you're wrong. You're reaching back to the Devils series, which he was one of our best forwards at the end of, and he was one of our best in the first 3 games.

He played a **** game tonight. Everyone did.

And Captain Teflon? I don't get it.
Lol what?! Callahan has been invisible and when he is visible it's usually because he just made a horrible pass, no look or right to the other team. No way he's even close to one of our best forwards so far. He played better tonight but first 3 games? No way.

Affinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 10:55 PM
  #167
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo
 
BroadwayBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 8,271
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Line Grinder View Post
I think Stepan has reached his ceiling IMO. He's maxed out. He's not a good skater, doesn't have a great shot, lousy on face offs, gets knocked off the puck easily. Look, I think if you can find the right deal you do it down the road.
Well that sucks if true.

BroadwayBlues is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 10:56 PM
  #168
Callagraves
Block shots
 
Callagraves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6,372
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Affinity View Post
Lol what?! Callahan has been invisible and when he is visible it's usually because he just made a horrible pass, no look or right to the other team. No way he's even close to one of our best forwards so far. He played better tonight but first 3 games? No way.
Wait, are you saying Cally played better tonight than he did in the past 3 games? I'm a huge fan, but he was terribad tonight. He was much better in the past 3 games.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 11:54 PM
  #169
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash
 
BlueshirtBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 19,050
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callagraves View Post
Wait, are you saying Cally played better tonight than he did in the past 3 games? I'm a huge fan, but he was terribad tonight. He was much better in the past 3 games.
Agreed. Cally had a good first game, meh second game, meh third game, bad this game.

BlueshirtBlitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 12:12 AM
  #170
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank
 
KingWantsCup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 5,423
vCash: 350
I'm getting so tired of seeing a terrible offense every year. We'll never have a good offense under Tortorella. It's just awful watching this team try to score goals during his time as head coach.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 12:44 AM
  #171
Callagraves
Block shots
 
Callagraves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6,372
vCash: 500
Torts was just named a Jack Adams finalist. He's not about to be fired.

Something is off. The pieces are there, the leadership is there, the scoring is there, the toughness is there, the goaltending is there, the fighting, this team HAS IT ALL. Except it looks like they're trying to ice skate up hill.

At this point, I think it's mental. I think they expected it would be easier to win games than it was last year, and when it wasn't they started gripping the stick too tight, lost focus, and we're floundering.

This team was put together with no time to become a team. Dubi Prust and Anisimov were 3 core members who were replaced, fine. But their replacements aren't acclimated to Rangers hockey just yet. And they weren't 2-3 year vets of the Whale, where the teach Tort's style, they came from the other conference, and in the case of Asham, well we haven't seen enough to comment.

If Torts gets time with his team, I think we'll pull out of it. I DON'T want to hear about a scheduled day off tomorrow. This team in particular needs time together, time on the ice, and time with the Coach.

But do we have that time? Can Torts, in the few days he has between games, teach Nash, Pyatt, Halpern and the others how his system works? Can he get back that defensive prowess from last season?

The players are shaken, they're frustrated, and they're all waiting for the engine to start, because when it does, it's going to take off. You can see them try to create that spark. Nash has tried to be that spark, Cally has tried, trying too much even.

We may have stole Nash on paper, but the trade may have cost us more than Dubi and Artie. You have to make that trade, you have to make it every time. Sather did his job, but he upset chemistry. Now it's Tort's turn to fix it, it's Staal, Girardi, McD and MDZ's job to stop the bleeding, and sadly, yet again, It's going to fall on Hank to steal some games while the forwards get their **** together.

Look for Richie and Cally to look very, very different in the next game. Hopefully, Nash uses his "me against the world routine" to open up some ice, and use his very, very skilled teammates. Expect Stepan to be invisible until that one take away, and where he makes a real simple pass for a goal.

Kreider, Hags, they're a linchpin in all this. One of them needs to step up, beacuse while Pyatt is hot right now, most of us know that probably won't hold out. It'd be incredible if it does, but I wouldn't bet on it. I'm going to say Hags takes a deep breath, simplifies his game, goes back to what he does best, and builds from there.

CK? He could go either way at this point. An entire slumping team is not a good environment, and he's not Landeskog where he can do his thing anyways.

2 days practice should help. The powerplay will get better. They've had no time to set plays. 1 or 2 days at the most.

What I'm more concerned about is the PK, an opinion I expressed as soon as Dubi and Artie were gone. As the Penalty kill goes, so goes the New York Rangers, and even if Cally the best shot blocking forward in the league, that doesn't seem to be cutting it right now. Hank can't do it all.


Despite all the fights, there has been no rallying call for this team. There has been no moment where you saw pure solidarity. Asham fighting, Bickle fighting, Nash driving the net, Gaborik Hat trick, Cally blocking 3 straight Chara shots, none of it. Part of me almost wishes someone would try to run into Hank, because that's the only thing left I can think of that would fire them up!

We saw this last year. Before the San Jose game, we gutted out a few wins, ugly wins, but it didn't feel right. We need the San Jose game again, the turning point. I just hope it comes before it's too late.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:21 AM
  #172
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callagraves View Post
You're known on the boards as a Cally hater, but seriously, you're wrong. You're reaching back to the Devils series, which he was one of our best forwards at the end of, and he was one of our best in the first 3 games.
Best forward? That's quite a stretch. He had a game tying goal in game 6, props to him, but he's been a blackhole offensively. I really hope he isn't re-signed because the money he's earning can be invested for an upgrade.

Quote:
He played a **** game tonight. Everyone did.

And Captain Teflon? I don't get it.
Zero accountability, like I said. Everyone ***** on Gaborik and Richards not playing, even Lundqvist, but Callahan gets away scotch free. It's ridiculous, he can do no wrong it seems.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:27 AM
  #173
CharlestownChiefsESC
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Laurence Harbor NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 151
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callagraves View Post
]
We saw this last year. Before the San Jose game, we gutted out a few wins, ugly wins, but it didn't feel right. We need the San Jose game again, the turning point. I just hope it comes before it's too late.
100 % agreed. Its 4 games in. We had the same problem last year. Even Lucien Deblois said on the radio that teams wont find their grove till at least 10 games in.

CharlestownChiefsESC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:35 AM
  #174
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash
 
BlueshirtBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 19,050
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
Best forward? That's quite a stretch. He had a game tying goal in game 6, props to him, but he's been a blackhole offensively. I really hope he isn't re-signed because the money he's earning can be invested for an upgrade.



Zero accountability, like I said. Everyone ***** on Gaborik and Richards not playing, even Lundqvist, but Callahan gets away scotch free. It's ridiculous, he can do no wrong it seems.
Get out of here with that crap man. You're usually a really good poster (besides your Mitchell love ) but your ridiculous Cally hate is just that, ridiculous.

You're blind if you don't think people have been hating on Cally.

Hell, he was great the first game and people STILL hated on him.

BlueshirtBlitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:41 AM
  #175
Callagraves
Block shots
 
Callagraves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6,372
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
Best forward? That's quite a stretch. He had a game tying goal in game 6, props to him, but he's been a blackhole offensively. I really hope he isn't re-signed because the money he's earning can be invested for an upgrade.



Zero accountability, like I said. Everyone ***** on Gaborik and Richards not playing, even Lundqvist, but Callahan gets away scotch free. It's ridiculous, he can do no wrong it seems.
Teflon, as in nothing sticks to him?

Not trying to nitpick, phrase is Scot free, refers to taxes.

And to your point, he hasn't had much offense in the first 4 games, and struggled some in the playoffs. Not many people ever blame hank, and with good reason. Gaborik got **** until we discovered his shoulder, and Richards really did seem to disappear in NJ.

I think a good amount of why Cally doesn't get **** on is because his scoring isn't his primary attribute. His forechecking, physical play, shot blocking and penalty killing is. It's how he made the NHL, it's how he got his start here, and for the most part, it very rarely wavers. When he isn't scoring, he's still solid in the other areas, as opposed to Gaborik and Richards, who don't seem to do much if not notching points. More so with Gabby than Richie.

It just so happens in the past 2 seasons he's begun scoring at a 30 goal, 60 point pace. I expect that to dip as he's with out his most complimenting partner in Dubinsky, and likely won't be playing with Richards, so unless Stepan and he click, he probably won't keep up a 60 point pace, but I expect he'll stay close.

He's my favorite player for a reason, he's everywhere. Last season, Callahan was 73rd in points, tied for 31st in goals, 5th in powerplay goals, 4th in game winning goals, 3rd among forwards in blocked shots, and 5th in hits, all in 76 games. Throw in a tendency to pick up overtime goals, and last year even scoring in the shootout(!), you've got a pretty damn good second liner, ontop of being Captain material. So when you tell me you hope he isn't resigned, all I can do is scratch my head.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:01 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.