HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do we move a d man?

Old
01-13-2013, 01:38 PM
HogtownSabresfan

vCash: 500
Do we move a d man?

McKenzie says lots of demand there. I see Leopold as depth guy we can move, especially if we can get a solid centre in some sort of package.

HogtownSabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 02:24 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogtownSabresfan View Post
McKenzie says lots of demand there. I see Leopold as depth guy we can move, especially if we can get a solid centre in some sort of package.
Lindy doesnt

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 02:46 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Perhaps if McNabb wasn't such a dumpster fire in Rochester during the lockout, or if Mike Weber hadn't forgotten how to play hockey around spring 2012, this may be a real conversation.

The only way I see them trading a defenseman is at the deadline.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 02:49 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Thats another question I've been meaning to ask. Do they change the trade deadline with a shortened season or does it stay whereit was supposed to be.

I could see us moving a defenseman before the season starts or early on, but porbably more in the Pardy, Brennan, Sulzer, Weber mode than Leopold. If we're selling him I'd do it at the deadline.

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 02:58 PM
Jacob582

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSchoolMaster View Post
Thats another question I've been meaning to ask. Do they change the trade deadline with a shortened season or does it stay whereit was supposed to be.

I could see us moving a defenseman before the season starts or early on, but porbably more in the Pardy, Brennan, Sulzer, Weber mode than Leopold. If we're selling him I'd do it at the deadline.
Trade deadline is April 3.

Jacob582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 02:58 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Perhaps if McNabb wasn't such a dumpster fire in Rochester during the lockout, or if Mike Weber hadn't forgotten how to play hockey around spring 2012, this may be a real conversation.

Watching McNabb last night, it seemed like he's overthinking everything out there. I wonder how much of it is Rolston's coaching.

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 02:59 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post

We have 2 defensemen who either have to be moved or exposed to waivers. I doubt they carry 8 defensemen when they likewise have 3 extra forwards to deal with (2 if Grigorenko gets cut after camp), considering 2 forwards are not yet ready to practice and teams traditionally carry 2 forwards + 1 defenseman.

Quote:

It's something like April 3rd I believe, so yes the deadline is moved back this year. I think Pardy is the obvious first candidate to either be traded for a really low pick if possible or exposed to waivers.

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 03:00 PM
HogtownSabresfan

Quote:

Pardy worth nothing. Sulzer's value is higher to Sabres than most teams cause of play with Eherhoff. Weber doesn't command much either.Leopold will be the guy, if anyone gets moved. Unless we get a bigger deal and then Sekera's cap friendly contract comes in. I don't see where we get Leopold PP time he needs to be valuable, especially if Brennan is the 7th d man.
I'm ready for a deal for a centreman.

Old
01-13-2013, 03:05 PM
Jacob582

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackGroundMusic View Post
Watching McNabb last night, it seemed like he's overthinking everything out there. I wonder how much of it is Rolston's coaching.
Maybe it's the ipad.

Jacob582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 03:23 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogtownSabresfan View Post
Pardy worth nothing. Sulzer's value is higher to Sabres than most teams cause of play with Eherhoff. Weber doesn't command much either.Leopold will be the guy, if anyone gets moved. Unless we get a bigger deal and then Sekera's cap friendly contract comes in. I don't see where we get Leopold PP time he needs to be valuable, especially if Brennan is the 7th d man.
I'm ready for a deal for a centreman.
I don't really agree with this. They need to take at least one -- probably two -- defensemen off the roster. Rather than trade a good player like Leopold, it's entirely likely they designate a guy they 'have' to get rid of and try getting anything they can in trade before assigning him to Rochester. There's no certainty here with how this will shake out.

If Brennan is 7th d man it won't affect Leopold's possible PP time as the 7th d-man won't be play most nights.

I think the likely outcome is they trade/cut/assign lower-end guys to get the roster down where it needs to be. From there, they'll evaluate as the season goes on and can then move guys at the deadline to either bring in a center (for Leopold or Sekera) or acquire a pick (for Leopold) based on where they're at and the evaluation of all the organizational defensemen up to that point.

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 03:30 PM
Capsautomatic28

try and get ryan o reilly from the avs for a D man

Bennans going to be full time this year. He will jump up infront of weber/mcnabb for sure

Capsautomatic28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 03:50 PM
clumping platelets

Sekera to Fla for Weiss +

clumping platelets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 03:52 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by clumping platelets View Post
Sekera to Fla for Weiss +
Better be a big plus. Sekera might have the best non-ELC contract in the league.

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 03:59 PM
clumping platelets

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackGroundMusic View Post
Better be a big plus. Sekera might have the best non-ELC contract in the league.

Weiss is exactly what we need up front

I'll take a high pick and/or prospect

clumping platelets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 04:03 PM
mgeise

I really don't think Pardy will be on the opening day roster (only taken on to relieve Dallas of some salary in the Roy deal) and McNabb will stay in Rochester. So we can keep 8 defensemen (Myers, Ehrhoff, Sekera, Leopold, Regehr, Sulzer, Brennan, and Weber) and 13 forwards. Leopold shouldn't be moved until the deadline at the earliest; I don't think there's any chance he gets moved now unless a team really overpays for him.

mgeise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 05:21 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by clumping platelets View Post
Weiss is exactly what we need up front

I'll take a high pick and/or prospect
why would we want derek roy back?

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 05:31 PM
littletonhockeycoach

Yes, Leo or Weber. I agree with Jame's arguments that Sekera was our best D last season.

Question mark for me is whether Regehr (who I am still a big fan of) still has the footspeed needed.

I haven't seen McNabb this season but I liked his appearances with the team last season and expect things will work out.

littletonhockeycoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 06:37 PM
koarl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleta36 View Post
I really don't think Pardy will be on the opening day roster (only taken on to relieve Dallas of some salary in the Roy deal) and McNabb will stay in Rochester. So we can keep 8 defensemen (Myers, Ehrhoff, Sekera, Leopold, Regehr, Sulzer, Brennan, and Weber) and 13 forwards. Leopold shouldn't be moved until the deadline at the earliest; I don't think there's any chance he gets moved now unless a team really overpays for him.
Thats right. If we move Leo now, we will not get as much as we can get at the deadline.
Remember, we've got a firstrounder for Gaustad ...
I can't imagine someone giving us a first for Leopold now.

koarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 07:26 PM
HogtownSabresfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by koarl View Post
Thats right. If we move Leo now, we will not get as much as we can get at the deadline.
Remember, we've got a firstrounder for Gaustad ...
I can't imagine someone giving us a first for Leopold now.
I'm taking about a deal to be better for this year. We'd get a comparable forward with a year left. You can never have enough depth on D but we are woefully thin at centre. It's the team's biggest weakness going in, IMO.
You can wait until deadline if this is a write off season.

Old
01-13-2013, 07:40 PM
Shoey
Hello.

With the numbers they have it's kind of a situation where they either need to get rid of someone or risk losing somebody for nothing. To me, that's not even a choice.

Turn that extra asset into another asset before you lose it.

Shoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 07:41 PM
Daz28

Here's the problem, the season is too short to showcase a guy to up his value, and then dump him. Couple that with us being a bottom end team, and I see nothing but a guy or two being lost on waivers. Hey, at least we scooped up Hecht before that sweepstakes began. lol

Daz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 10:21 PM
HogtownSabresfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoey View Post
With the numbers they have it's kind of a situation where they either need to get rid of someone or risk losing somebody for nothing. To me, that's not even a choice.

Turn that extra asset into another asset before you lose it.
Much of this depends on whether you believe in Weber/Brennan/McNabb. I'm writing Pardy off.

You are left with Sulzer, Christian E, Myers, Regehr, Sekera. I liked McNabb a lot but everyone says he's pooched it in Rochester this year. I thought he'd be ready. I don't watch Rochester so have no idea. Sometimes guys rise to NHL level. Weber looked slow a lot last year. Brennan is really whether he can play at NHL or is one of those AHL stars who never make it.
All said, I gamble for the reason the hole at centre is massive right now. I know Ott/Leino/Ellis/Hecht...not one is a 100% true centre really.

Old
01-13-2013, 11:07 PM
Imlach a cup

I think right now you are in the same spot we were in August. Too many question marks to get true value for any of our assets. Deep numbers wise at D and center but not deep with proven NHL talent. What we do know is that Pardy/Weber are fighting for one spot and Brennan/Leopold are both fighting for another spot. Pardy/Weber is easy, buh bye Pardy play out Weber for the season if he looks like last years Weber out the door and in with Roc. If you think Brennan can be an NHL success trade Leo now so you can free up the roster spot. If not expose him to waivers and move along. The center situation will probably be wait and see until the deadline anyway.

Imlach a cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 11:38 PM
McTank

I'd keep:
Ehrhoff-Sulzer
Myers-Sekera
Leopold-Regher
Brennan

Get rid of weber and pardy.

Or...

Sekera+ for O'Reilly

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 04:34 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
I don't see where Pardy fits in right now. He'll have to impress in a hurry to get into Ruff's good graces. He's the guy who seems like the outlier since he's not someone they have history with/drafted/have had on the roster in the past. In a condensed format, I see that as a mark against him given Ruff's history.

Sekera-Regehr
Sulzer-Ehrhoff
Leopold-Myers
Weber
Brennan (since they are usually pretty hung up on asset retention)
Pardy