Notices

Putting the blame where it belongs

Old
01-23-2013, 08:35 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Well his hiring of Crawford wasn't exactly a popular decision around here, that's for sure.

He's gotten better at drafting in recent years, but.....Glennie over Kulikov/Cowen/de Haan? Campbell over Fowler/Gormley/Forbort?

01-23-2013, 08:36 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Those picks weren't his, and his hands were cuffed with the Crawford hire.

LatvianTwist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 08:40 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

vCash: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
The Campbell pick wasn't his? Can I get an explanation on how his hands were cuffed with the Crawford decision?

http://starsblog.dallasnews.com/2010...campbell.html/

Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 08:48 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
Well his hiring of Crawford wasn't exactly a popular decision around here, that's for sure.

He's gotten better at drafting in recent years, but.....Glennie over Kulikov/Cowen/de Haan? Campbell over Fowler/Gormley/Forbort?
Wasn't even really thinking about the Crawford hire but that goes down as a negative. On the plus side he rectified that mistake fairly quickly.

I will hold off on judging too much on drafting given how recent much of that has been. I'd like to give the prospects more time to sink or swim.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 09:01 PM
Elysian
@AdamBath

vCash: 5355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
The Campbell pick wasn't his? Can I get an explanation on how his hands were cuffed with the Crawford decision?

Something I find interesting in your link:

Quote:
Nieuwendyk added that he would like the Stars’ system to get back to where it was when the Stars had several great goalies competing against each other.
It sure seems like we're there, and Campbell is a big part of this.

Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 09:06 PM
Troy McClure

vCash: 500
Quote:
Those picks were his. He was the GM.

Whether it is fair or not, Nieuwy was not Gaglardi's guy or his hire. Most new owners like to put their own people in power. It's not fair, but that's sports.

Troy McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 09:12 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McClure View Post
Those picks were his. He was the GM.

Whether it is fair or not, Nieuwy was not Gaglardi's guy or his hire. Most new owners like to put their own people in power. It's not fair, but that's sports.
That's the one thing in this whole Dallas rumour that makes sense to me....a possible link between Burke and Gagliardi. I haven't heard anything else or seen anything on the Leafs board either.

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 09:20 PM
livewell68

It's early in the season. The Stars are missing Jamie Benn and there are 3 new players playing on their top 2 lines. It was going to take time for them to get chemistry. Considering they are 2-1 and have only allowed 5 goals against in 3 games, they have been pretty good.

Why are fans already panicking and asking for coaches/ GM's to get fired? The powerplay will improve once the chemistry is there.

There are teams in much worse situations than the Stars find themselves in. Other teams are already losing tons of players to injuries.

The Stars could be the surprise team of the Pacific division and I think once the chemistry between players like Jagr, Whitney, Eriksson and Roy really gets going then they will be a hard team to keep off the scoresheet.

livewell68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 09:59 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
Something I find interesting in your link:

It sure seems like we're there, and Campbell is a big part of this.
He absolutely is. His only issue is inconsistency.

Old
01-23-2013, 10:00 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livewell68 View Post
It's early in the season. The Stars are missing Jamie Benn and there are 3 new players playing on their top 2 lines. It was going to take time for them to get chemistry. Considering they are 2-1 and have only allowed 5 goals against in 3 games, they have been pretty good.

Why are fans already panicking and asking for coaches/ GM's to get fired? The powerplay will improve once the chemistry is there.

There are teams in much worse situations than the Stars find themselves in. Other teams are already losing tons of players to injuries.

The Stars could be the surprise team of the Pacific division and I think once the chemistry between players like Jagr, Whitney, Eriksson and Roy really gets going then they will be a hard team to keep off the scoresheet.
Nobody is. It's just an open discussion about what the future could hold, and how the coaches and GM are doing.

Old
01-23-2013, 11:08 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
That's the one thing in this whole Dallas rumour that makes sense to me....a possible link between Burke and Gagliardi. I haven't heard anything else or seen anything on the Leafs board either.
Where exactly is a supposed connection between Gaglardi and Burke supposed to have come from? Unless I see something concrete I won't accept Burke being GM of a team Gaglardi hoped to buy as a connection in any legitimate sense.

Old
01-23-2013, 11:13 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
Where exactly is a supposed connection between Gaglardi and Burke supposed to have come from? Unless I see something concrete I won't accept Burke being GM of a team Gaglardi hoped to buy as a connection in any legitimate sense.
The only one I see is Gaglardi being from BC, and Burke an ex-Canucks GM. Not much else there.

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 11:39 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
The only one I see is Gaglardi being from BC, and Burke an ex-Canucks GM. Not much else there.
I would say then...not much there.

Old
01-24-2013, 01:09 AM
hairylikebear
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

I don't want to lend any credence to the Burke rumor because I really doubt Nieuwendyk is on the hot seat, but it's very common in the NHL to see one GM build up a team's prospect pool only to get replaced by a "closer" who takes those assets and builds a cup winning team. Burke is considered a closer.

hairylikebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 01:14 AM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairylikebear View Post
I don't want to lend any credence to the Burke rumor because I really doubt Nieuwendyk is on the hot seat, but it's very common in the NHL to see one GM build up a team's prospect pool only to get replaced by a "closer" who takes those assets and builds a cup winning team. Burke is considered a closer.
Very good point. Also who coached the Hawks before Quennville?

Old
01-24-2013, 01:28 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
Quote:
Very good point. Also who coached the Hawks before Quennville?
Savard wasn't it?

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 07:54 AM
ginblossoms

Send a message via ICQ to ginblossoms
Quote:

i blame his scouting staff more than joe for the campbell pick (not sure about glennie, as i don't recall if he was even the gm back then... could be mistaken).

from the blog post...
Quote:
“Our guys have loved this guy from the start and we just said if he was available at No. 11, we couldn’t let him go,” said Stars GM Joe Nieuwendyk, who trusted his scouts with the selection.
iirc, those "guys" were promptly fired not long after. as the gm, ultimately it's on joe, but as a manager of any kind, it's also correct to trust your subordinates. in this case, his subordinates didn't do a good job and were let go.

ginblossoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 09:43 AM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginblossoms View Post
i blame his scouting staff more than joe for the campbell pick (not sure about glennie, as i don't recall if he was even the gm back then... could be mistaken).

from the blog post...

iirc, those "guys" were promptly fired not long after. as the gm, ultimately it's on joe, but as a manager of any kind, it's also correct to trust your subordinates. in this case, his subordinates didn't do a good job and were let go.
See I thought that was all because of the Glennie fiasco. Joe said if Campbell was there at 11th, then they would choose him no doubt.

Old
01-24-2013, 09:48 AM
James Mirtle

Quote:
Does he have a history with Gagliardi, going back to his Canucks days maybe?

Gotta admit I'm interested by the idea. Hate to say it but GM Joe hasn't done a whole lot during his tenure with Dallas, that made me say "Outstanding work, Mr. General Manager!"
Question 1: Yes.

And some believe Nieuwendyk will be in trouble after this season.

James Mirtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 09:50 AM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Mirtle View Post
Question 1: Yes.

And some believe Nieuwendyk will be in trouble after this season.
Oh man. Never thought I'd see you on the Dallas board.

Where does he have history with him?

Old
01-24-2013, 10:45 AM
StarsFan74

Quote:
Who cuffed his hands? Please don't say Tom Hicks.

StarsFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 10:52 AM
StarsFan74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
I can't see Nieuwendyk being fired, and I see Burke becoming Columbus' GM after this season is over.
Columbus would be smart to stay away. Burke was extremely lucky to inherit a goldmine in Anaheim, courtesy of one Bryan Murray. Burke does not rebuild well. Here's his complete draft history. You can see for yourself.

StarsFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 12:25 PM
ginblossoms

Send a message via ICQ to ginblossoms
Quote:
See I thought that was all because of the Glennie fiasco. Joe said if Campbell was there at 11th, then they would choose him no doubt.
with deference to his scouts probably. he also likely didn't think fowler would still be available.

i remember this moment so vividly... sitting at staples center giddy that fowler was still on the board at #11 (iirc consensus top 5 pick & top offensive dman)... the draft guy announces "from the u.s. national development team..." and with my hands raised, i become even more excited... "goaltender jack campbell"... i learned later that it had been a year since fowler was on that u.s. team.

ginblossoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 12:41 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginblossoms View Post
with deference to his scouts probably. he also likely didn't think fowler would still be available.

i remember this moment so vividly... sitting at staples center giddy that fowler was still on the board at #11 (iirc consensus top 5 pick & top offensive dman)... the draft guy announces "from the u.s. national development team..." and with my hands raised, i become even more excited... "goaltender jack campbell"... i learned later that it had been a year since fowler was on that u.s. team.
It really felt like a punch in the gut when his name was called. There are some pretty impressive names taken after Campbell in that draft.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 12:49 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
go

vCash: 27750
Are we still going over the Campbell pick? Joe fired the guy responsible. What else do we want?

Burke may have connections to Gaglardi, but would he stab his protege in the back like that? I have my doubts.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote