Notices

Putting the blame where it belongs

Old
01-24-2013, 12:52 PM
txomisc

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
Are we still going over the Campbell pick? Joe fired the guy responsible. What else do we want?

Burke may have connections to Gaglardi, but would he stab his protege in the back like that? I have my doubts.
We want to talk about it and remember how much it sucked. What do you think we want?

I wouldnt put anything like that past Burke.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 01:02 PM
LordHelmet

Joe bought in on Campbell, and it will be a few years before we truly know whether that was the right decision.

Joe was hired only a week or so before the Glennie draft, so he likely had much less to do with that one.

Neal was regressing badly at the time of his trade. He was NOT the player he became last year in Pittsburgh. Plus Neal was very dependent on Richards, and Joe may have already known that Richards wouldn't be re-signing.

Burke? Please no.

LordHelmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 01:14 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 27750
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndBoards View Post
Joe bought in on Campbell, and it will be a few years before we truly know whether that was the right decision.

Joe was hired only a week or so before the Glennie draft, so he likely had much less to do with that one.
What do you mean by bought in?

The quotes the GM gives after the draft mean nothing. He's going to parrot whatever his scouts told him about the player.

Joe sets the overall vision for the types of players he wants the organization to look for, he doesn't make picks. By removing Bernhardt it was a pretty clear signal that his vision does not include spending premium picks on goalies.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 01:46 PM
Alistar

I have a hard time seeing Nieuwendyk removed after the organization has made so many moves to bring former players back into the operation and improve relations with the fans. Sending a guy as popular and well known as GM Joe in Dallas away just as the team is finally picking up some positive momentum just doesn't make sense to me. The time to fire him would have been after the team blew up down the stretch last year.

Burke is one of the worst GM's around. We'd be loaded down with the kind of thugs and useless players that Nieuwendyk has finally gotten rid of (for the most part) in no time flat. I'd rather give the GM job to Mark Recchi who apparently has some clue of what kind of players you need inside your organization than see it fall to Brian Burke.

Alistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 01:50 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

vCash: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistar View Post
I have a hard time seeing Nieuwendyk removed after the organization has made so many moves to bring former players back into the operation and improve relations with the fans. Sending a guy as popular and well known as GM Joe in Dallas away just as the team is finally picking up some positive momentum just doesn't make sense to me. The time to fire him would have been after the team blew up down the stretch last year.

Burke is one of the worst GM's around. We'd be loaded down with the kind of thugs and useless players that Nieuwendyk has finally gotten rid of (for the most part) in no time flat. I'd rather give the GM job to Mark Recchi who apparently has some clue of what kind of players you need inside your organization than see it fall to Brian Burke.
10000000000000% agreed.

Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 03:57 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Mirtle View Post
Question 1: Yes.

And some believe Nieuwendyk will be in trouble after this season.
Based on what, though? If the team misses the playoffs yet again, I can see it, otherwise I don't know what this is referring to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsFan74 View Post
Columbus would be smart to stay away. Burke was extremely lucky to inherit a goldmine in Anaheim, courtesy of one Bryan Murray. Burke does not rebuild well. Here's his complete draft history. You can see for yourself.
Interesting note from that link, in the 2006 draft:

Quote:
Too soon to make a complete judgement. However, their number one pick Mark Mitera is 14th on Anaheim's prospect depth chart, so that pick isn't looking too good. Matt Beleskey shows some promise as a fourth round pick.

Players Anaheim could have picked up include Claude Giroux, Nick Foligno, Matt Corrente, Carl Sneep, Nikolai Kulemin, & Milan Lucic.
How very coincidental.

Not sure why Sneep's even listed there, seeing as how he's currently an ECHLer, but it's still fairly amusing IMO.

01-24-2013, 05:42 PM
StarsFan74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistar View Post

I'd rather not. I love the guy as a player, but I know NOTHING about his tenure in the front office- probably has no experience there. If JN is gone, I'd rather replace him with someone with a lot more experience and whose name isn't Brian Burke or Kevin Lowe.

StarsFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 06:56 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
GMJN didn't exactly have a ton of experience before he became GM.

LatvianTwist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 07:08 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
GMJN didn't exactly have a ton of experience before he became GM.
He had experience in Florida and Toronto.

Old
01-24-2013, 07:11 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
He had experience in Florida and Toronto.
More than Recchi yes, but not much.

Old
01-24-2013, 08:29 PM
StarsFan74

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
More than Recchi yes, but not much.
What experience does Recchi have besides owning 12.5% of the Blazers? Unless you can provide evidence of tenure under a GM of some sort, I am not convinced.

Old
01-24-2013, 08:33 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

I don't even really know what I'm arguing about at this point. Don't see GMJN leaving though.

Old
01-24-2013, 08:46 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

All right. With the new Benn contract, the Eakin trade, the Roy trade, and the Kari trade I've got a good amount of faith in Joe. Or maybe Gainey is working some magic back there. Who knows.

Solid, solid, SOLID contract though.

Old
01-24-2013, 08:47 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

Yep, Joe just saved his own skin with this one.

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 09:15 PM
ginblossoms

Send a message via ICQ to ginblossoms
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
All right. With the new Benn contract, the Eakin trade, the Roy trade, and the Kari trade I've got a good amount of faith in Joe. Or maybe Gainey is working some magic back there. Who knows.

Solid, solid, SOLID contract though.
could gainey work his montreal connections and get something goin' with a possible subban deal? :fingers crossed:

ginblossoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 09:17 PM
StarsFan74

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginblossoms View Post
could gainey work his montreal connections and get something goin' with a possible subban deal? :fingers crossed:
We can give them back Ryder, now that Markov is back with a resounding bang. (j/k)

Seriously though, TSN reports Subban will be back negotiating this weekend. I had a feeling Jamie's signing would be the first domino to fall.

Old
01-24-2013, 10:11 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

GMJoe escapes, but Gully gets closer and closer to the exit door. Can't deny it any longer people.

Old
01-24-2013, 10:13 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

He is not making very smart decisions, but it's not like he can trade "El Capitan".

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 10:13 PM
SonicSpeedDash
20% Cooler

Morrow GTFO!! And take Robidumbass with you!

SonicSpeedDash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 10:14 PM
Satan
why did she go

Refereeing.

i have every ounce of confidence
that you will fix all that you've wrecked
Satan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 10:14 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
He is not making very smart decisions, but it's not like he can trade "El Capitan".
He can choose better lines, motivate the team, and come up with a DECENT PP strategy.

Old
01-24-2013, 10:37 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsFan74 View Post
Columbus would be smart to stay away. Burke was extremely lucky to inherit a goldmine in Anaheim, courtesy of one Bryan Murray. Burke does not rebuild well. Here's his complete draft history. You can see for yourself.
That's an absolute joke of an article. I hope you realize many of players he lists as "missed out on" were not highly regarded then, and kind of came out of no where. If Burke is at fault for not picking Eberle and Giroux, than so are 28 other GMs. That's a better draft resume than a lot of people, especially because he drafted in a lot of years where it was really bad.

Never cite Bleacher report, there's a reason it used to be blocked here. Only thing that's changed is their ownership, who is reputable now but their content is still garbage, just like that article.

Columbus could use someone like Burke.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 11:02 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
You've said this twice now but I just don't see it. They just hired John Davidson who is coming off of his tenure overseeing the rebuilding of the St. Louis Blues. I really don't think there's room in one organization for two guys like that, two guys with a master plan and one who is a bit of an ego-maniac. Just doesn't seem like a fit to me.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 11:10 PM
StarsFan74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
That's an absolute joke of an article. I hope you realize many of players he lists as "missed out on" were not highly regarded then, and kind of came out of no where. If Burke is at fault for not picking Eberle and Giroux, than so are 28 other GMs. That's a better draft resume than a lot of people, especially because he drafted in a lot of years where it was really bad.

Never cite Bleacher report, there's a reason it used to be blocked here. Only thing that's changed is their ownership, who is reputable now but their content is still garbage, just like that article.

I am citing Bleacher Report for the site's comprehensive draft record by Burke, not their opinions. I didn't cite that statement regarding Giroux, did I? Someone else pointed that out. Neither did I use that statement to make my decision.

And no, we'll have to disagree on CLB and Burke. If they do it, then so be it, but he isn't the right choice, IMO.

Old
01-24-2013, 11:39 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

I'm not even sure there is a right choice for Columbus.