Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Putting the blame where it belongs

Old
01-26-2013, 02:44 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

vCash: 500
So today we scratch Larsen. Just adding this to the list going on in here.

I think this season he's out. Gagliardi wants to win, and he knows this team is capable of it. The guy knows hockey too, and seeing this can't be anything other than infuriating.

Hope Laviolette gets knocked out of Philly so we can grab him.

Cin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 02:48 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
Gagliardi wants to win, and he knows this team is capable of it. The guy knows hockey too, and seeing this can't be anything other than infuriating.
I don't think he wants to get involved in hockey making decisions and am pretty sure him going on the radio and calling our "3rd" line a 4th line is as far as he'll go in giving his opinion...but goodness. These decisions they're making are absolutely awful.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 11:04 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
I don't think he wants to get involved in hockey making decisions and am pretty sure him going on the radio and calling our "3rd" line a 4th line is as far as he'll go in giving his opinion...but goodness. These decisions they're making are absolutely awful.
I don't want our owner calling the personnel shots from a million miles away but at some point the obvious is just too obvious, and it is his investment. I would put scratching Larsen (who has done absolutely everything asked of him, from putting on mass, getting stronger, playing more physical, making smarter decisions with the puck, and on and on) an obviously retarded move. And it wasn't like it was done to match a specific style of play regarding the opponent (not that there is a team in this league that Larsen should be scratched against) or to get another hot shot young prospect in the lineup. He was scratched to get Aaron freaking Rome into the lineup against a speedy and skilled St. Louis Blues lineup.

Fire Gulutzan. Do it soon.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 11:10 PM
Elysian
@AdamBath

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
I don't want our owner calling the personnel shots from a million miles away but at some point the obvious is just too obvious, and it is his investment. I would put scratching Larsen (who has done absolutely everything asked of him, from putting on mass, getting stronger, playing more physical, making smarter decisions with the puck, and on and on) an obviously retarded move. And it wasn't like it was done to match a specific style of play regarding the opponent (not that there is a team in this league that Larsen should be scratched against) or to get another hot shot young prospect in the lineup. He was scratched to get Aaron freaking Rome into the lineup against a speedy and skilled St. Louis Blues lineup.

Fire Gulutzan. Do it soon.
Rome only solidified my thoughts on him tonight, he's terrible. I'd rather have Fistric back with his mean hip check.

Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 11:22 PM
Troy McClure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
Rome only solidified my thoughts on him tonight, he's terrible. I'd rather have Fistric back with his mean hip check.
Rome may suck, but I'll give him more than this one game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
In addition to being skilled and speedy, the Blues are big and physical. I don't think it's right to say style of play wasn't a factor. Swapping Larsen for Rome added size and physicality to the blue line.

I know the reply will be that it didn't work, but it's not like Larsen playing over Rome would have made a difference in this game.

Troy McClure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 12:02 AM
hairylikebear
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\|\\

So if it's not the players that make the difference... who does?

hairylikebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 12:27 AM
Elysian
@AdamBath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McClure View Post
Rome may suck, but I'll give him more than this one game.

In addition to being skilled and speedy, the Blues are big and physical. I don't think it's right to say style of play wasn't a factor. Swapping Larsen for Rome added size and physicality to the blue line.

I know the reply will be that it didn't work, but it's not like Larsen playing over Rome would have made a difference in this game.
Rome was -2 tonight. Larsen has only had 1 game where he was -, and it was a -1 against Detroit. Every other game he's been even, with the 1st game of the season being +2... I know +/- isn't everything but come on, Rome was really pretty bad.

You can say he needed time to shake the rust off all you want, a game like this one wasn't the game to do it. We needed to ice the best defense we possibly could tonight and we didn't. Save Rome for Columbus.

Old
01-27-2013, 12:50 AM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McClure View Post

Point is Larsen is a smart player and definitely not the 6th best defenseman of the group who played the first few games of the season. The fact that he's also been given zero PP time this year on a PP that is a ****ing joke is more proof that the head coach doesn't know what he's doing.

We should just go ahead and merge this thread and the Fire Gully thread because it's pretty clear where the largest deficiency in the organization is.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 01:24 AM
Elysian
@AdamBath

So I've got to ask... Why is it that during the PK we can be so outstanding so defensively responsible, yet when even strength our defense is the worst of the worst? Is it being able to ice the puck? Is it attitude? Do they have some kind of determination during the PK that they lose at even strength? What gives? We stopped all 3 power plays of the #1 PP team in the league yet we couldn't even keep our 2-1 lead...

Old
01-27-2013, 01:33 AM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Quote:
Is it being able to ice the puck?
Yes.

Our breakout is the main culprit of our defensive woes. Idk if its systematic or what, but our Wingers aren't supporting the D-men properly, and the D-men burp it up too much.

Even one turnover at the line usually leads to another 30-45 seconds in our own zone, 2 scoring opportunities against, and an eventual faceoff in our own zone. It's a domino effect.

Like I said, I don't know if it's a product of Gully's system, just not reinforced with a proper practiced gameplan, or just our D-men and Wingers being bad. But it's been a problem for a few years now.

MetalGodAOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 01:36 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Breakouts are the simplest thing to teach. They're also 99% all on the coach. Never thought of that as being the problem until now, that's a great point to make.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 01:55 AM
Shady12
12-13 FGotG Champion

Yep, the breakouts are terrible. Worst thing is when they sit behind the net for 10 seconds and still can't figure out what to do. Dman finally steps out from behind the net and blindly flings it down the ice...probably due to the wingers not doing what they should be doing.

Shady12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 03:08 AM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
So I've got to ask... Why is it that during the PK we can be so outstanding so defensively responsible, yet when even strength our defense is the worst of the worst? Is it being able to ice the puck? Is it attitude? Do they have some kind of determination during the PK that they lose at even strength? What gives? We stopped all 3 power plays of the #1 PP team in the league yet we couldn't even keep our 2-1 lead...
Icing the puck and having GREAT offensive PKers makes all the difference. Eriksson, Eakin, Fiddler, and Nystrom all get back and help in the corners when needed.

Eriksson and Eakin can pressure the opposition literally all over the ice, so that's what makes our PK great.

Even strength is a different animal because the forwards are expecting the D and deep O to get the puck out so they can transition quickly. As we see time and time again though, it's very difficult for us to move the puck from out behind the net or the corners. Thus causing a total collapse and leading to tons of shots.

Old
01-28-2013, 09:39 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

We don't have a ****** team. When you have names like Jagr, Whitney, Benn, Eriksson, Eakin, Larsen, Fiddler (disagree all you want, but he's one of the best third line pressure players in the league) and Lehtonen you should be winning.

Yeah we have one of the worst defensive squads in the league, but with all the weapons you have up front, **** like this shouldn't be happening.

There's no excuse to be outshot like this team is on a consistent basis, and to make such horrible ****ing passes. This is 100% bad. ****ing. Coaching.

Complain all you guys want, but we have a team worthy of a playoff spot, and our coach is getting nowhere near what he could be out of the team.

Old
01-28-2013, 09:42 PM
StarsFan74

Quote:
We don't have a ****** team. When you have names like Jagr, Whitney, Benn, Eriksson, Eakin, Larsen, Fiddler (disagree all you want, but he's one of the best third line pressure players in the league) and Lehtonen you should be winning.

Yeah we have one of the worst defensive squads in the league, but with all the weapons you have up front, **** like this shouldn't be happening.

There's no excuse to be outshot like this team is on a consistent basis, and to make such horrible ****ing passes. This is 100% bad. ****ing. Coaching.

Complain all you guys want, but we have a team worthy of a playoff spot, and our coach is getting nowhere near what he could be out of the team.
I disagree there. Not with this defense.

StarsFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:42 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
This team definitely has enough talent to get to the post season. With Kari, and our offense. We should be able to get there.

But it doesn't matter, because our team is outworked every single game. Even if we had a stellar defense, it wouldn't matter because of how much we've been outworked.

Only ones that have shown up every game this season is Lehtonen and Eakin.

Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:43 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsFan74 View Post
I disagree there. Not with this defense.
With Kari behind them and the scoring potential this team has, I absolutely think we can squeak in. Could we get out of the first round? Helllllllllllll no.

Old
01-28-2013, 09:44 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
This team definitely has enough talent to get to the post season. With Kari, and our offense. We should be able to get there.

But it doesn't matter, because our team is outworked every single game. Even if we had a stellar defense, it wouldn't matter because of how much we've been outworked.

Only one that has shown up every game this season is Lehtonen and Eakin.
We agree 100%, I'm just saying a new coach like a Tortorella, Laviolette, or Hitchcock could hold players accountable and bring some goals to the team.

This really is a huge coaching problem, and I fear a lot of people here don't really know just how much that makes an impact.

Old
01-28-2013, 09:46 PM
Elysian
@AdamBath

Quote:

I agree with you.

Old
01-28-2013, 09:48 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Quote:
That would be a bold statement even if you said he was one of the best fourth line "pressure" players in the league.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:49 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
That would be a bold statement even if you said he was one of the best fourth line "pressure" players in the league.
Kind of funny considering how pumped up everybody was when the signing was made. Blinded by bad play already? You know good players when you see them, and he is one. You know it.

Old
01-28-2013, 09:55 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Um, no.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:57 PM
StarsFan74

Quote:
With Kari behind them and the scoring potential this team has, I absolutely think we can squeak in. Could we get out of the first round? Helllllllllllll no.
Nope. Not with this defense. I thought our offense would help us, but the defensive woes will cloud whatever offensive potential or output the team has unless something drastic happens.

Old
01-28-2013, 10:10 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsFan74 View Post
Nope. Not with this defense. I thought our offense would help us, but the defensive woes will cloud whatever offensive potential or output the team has unless something drastic happens.
Glad to have your opinion in the thread.

Old
01-28-2013, 10:13 PM
StarsFan74

Quote:
Glad to have your opinion in the thread.
Likewise.