HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Nikolai Kulemin

Old
01-22-2013, 12:42 PM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunjay View Post
I don't think that's fair. There are plenty of us who know what we're looking at who think he's been more or less 'doing nothing.' Even if you want to argue that he was good defensively last year...being sound defensively with zero offense is nothing. Anybody who can skate and is Kulemin's size can be strong defensively in the NHL if that's all they're focusing on.
not trying to offend you but despite the lack of offense he has not been doing nothing. if you think he has then you are uneducated when it comes to hockey.

maybe he hasn't been doing the things YOU want him to do so you think he's doing nothing?

Patty Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 12:48 PM
bunjay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Around in 67 View Post
maybe he hasn't been doing the things YOU want him to do so you think he's doing nothing?
I was never convinced that he had this great potential like a lot of Leafs fans, and was suspicious of his 30 goal season. I don't think what I want him to do is at all unrealistic. All I want him to do is play some decent 2 way hockey.

I am not "uneducated when it comes to hockey." I think it's more likely that you've been watching the Leafs fail for long enough that you have, perhaps without realizing it, lowered the bar for what you consider 'doing something' for a 2nd line winger.

bunjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 12:48 PM
SteveV*

What was with Kulemin's reaction when they called his name last night, didn't even acknowledge the crowd. My son asked if he was retarded

SteveV* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 12:49 PM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

He, his girlfriend and their two kids (I don't think they married, but I could be wrong) live in Toronto. I don't think there's any lack of commitment to Toronto or Canada. And people saying the line has been around a while should rber new coach = new asks and new expectations, so they have to adapt their play accordingly. That takes a little time.

See where they are 15 games in - if it still isn't clicking I have no problem moving bodies around. But I'd be loath to trade Kulemin at this point - just look for some other chemistry if necessary.

Ohio Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 12:55 PM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

Quote:
I was never convinced that he had this great potential like a lot of Leafs fans, and was suspicious of his 30 goal season. I don't think what I want him to do is at all unrealistic. All I want him to do is play some decent 2 way hockey.

I am not "uneducated when it comes to hockey." I think it's more likely that you've been watching the Leafs fail for long enough that you have, perhaps without realizing it, lowered the bar for what you consider 'doing something' for a 2nd line winger.
maybe. but I don't think so.

Old
01-22-2013, 12:56 PM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
What was with Kulemin's reaction when they called his name last night, didn't even acknowledge the crowd. My son asked if he was retarded
if my son used words like that I would be more worried about him than Kulemin

Old
01-22-2013, 12:56 PM
The Blue Devil

Quote:
not trying to offend you but despite the lack of offense he has not been doing nothing. if you think he has then you are uneducated when it comes to hockey.

Kulemin has been extremely underwhelming these past 2 games, offensively and defensively. All 3 goals scored against us this year were because of mental break-downs from Kulemin. I want him to rebound as much as the next person, but he can't be voided of blame and he definitely can't be commended for solid play.

The Blue Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 12:57 PM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

Quote:

maybe we'll see a change tomorrow with a new winger on that line

Old
01-22-2013, 01:00 PM
caribouPINE

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blue Devil View Post
Kulemin has been extremely underwhelming these past 2 games, offensively and defensively. All 3 goals scored against us this year were because of mental break-downs from Kulemin. I want him to rebound as much as the next person, but he can't be voided of blame and he definitely can't be commended for solid play.
Now that you mention it, thats true.

Gionta was his man in front of the net (clear as day), he sort of flamingoed on his shot block attempt yesterday (it was a feable attempt at the very least) AND their 2nd goal was obviously a big breakdown on his part.

caribouPINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 01:07 PM
bunjay

Quote:
maybe we'll see a change tomorrow with a new winger on that line
I hope so. I mean...I was so disappointed with Kulemin last year that I won't discount the possibility that I missed a lot of small things he did right. I don't expect or even hope for another 30 goal campaign from him, I would be plenty content with 20/20 with all the solid board work, net-crashing, forechecking and backchecking.

Old
01-22-2013, 01:08 PM
bunjay

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribouPINE View Post

Gionta was his man in front of the net (clear as day), he sort of flamingoed on his shot block attempt yesterday (it was a feable attempt at the very least) AND their 2nd goal was obviously a big breakdown on his part.
He could have had Gionta, but if you watch the replay you'll notice Phaneuf chasing his man behind the net from a step behind and ending up on the same side as his partner. That's a big no-no on the PK.

Old
01-22-2013, 01:10 PM
Larcos_Unal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
I think this is a valid question, I've often wondered the same thing.

Larcos_Unal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 01:10 PM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

Quote:
I hope so. I mean...I was so disappointed with Kulemin last year that I won't discount the possibility that I missed a lot of small things he did right. I don't expect or even hope for another 30 goal campaign from him, I would be plenty content with 20/20 with all the solid board work, net-crashing, forechecking and backchecking.
he may not get you the 20/20 but he SHOULD give you the rest with no problem.

if he's a 30-35 pt player are you disappointed?

Old
01-22-2013, 01:12 PM
Guy Boucher

Quote:

And how was Hodgson's goal Kulemin's fault?

The Sabre's dropped to 3 guys on the point and Kulemin was left covering both Pominville AND Ehrhoff because Grabovski didn't read it at all. Only Greg Millen is dumb enough to pin that on Kulemin.

Guy Boucher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 01:13 PM
bunjay

Quote:
he may not get you the 20/20 but he SHOULD give you the rest with no problem.

if he's a 30-35 pt player are you disappointed?
Yes, but for me he'd still have a place on this team, and I'd re-sign him for a reasonable contract.

Old
01-22-2013, 01:15 PM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

Quote:
Yes, but for me he'd still have a place on this team, and I'd re-sign him for a reasonable contract.
be ready to be disappointed.

Old
01-22-2013, 01:16 PM
bunjay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Boucher View Post

The Sabre's dropped to 3 guys on the point and Kulemin was left covering both Pominville AND Ehrhoff because Grabovski didn't read it at all. Only Greg Millen is dumb enough to pin that on Kulemin.
Your center is generally not supposed to cover the points, he was where you'd normally expect him to be, anticipating a rebound or dump-in along the boards.

Nobody was at fault for that goal. It was a fluke. Had the shot missed the net and rattled around the boards we wouldn't even be talking about it.

Old
01-22-2013, 01:16 PM
bunjay

Quote:
be ready to be disappointed.
I'm a Leafs fan, I'm always ready to be disappointed

Old
01-22-2013, 01:20 PM
The Blue Devil

Quote:

It wasn't that he only missed his assignment in Gionta, but he had the chance to get the puck out before that and didn't, the 2nd goal(1st last night) he also lost the puck battle off the faceoff which then led to him not covering his man properly.

Old
01-22-2013, 01:23 PM
The Blue Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Boucher View Post

Again, it goes back to him losing a puck-battle off the faceoff and not getting back into proper position.

Old
01-22-2013, 01:28 PM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

Quote:
I'm a Leafs fan, I'm always ready to be disappointed
I hear ya

Old
01-22-2013, 01:30 PM
bunjay

Quote:
I hear ya
I started watching hockey when disappointment meant watching the Leafs get their playoff run ended after watching Sundin et al. give it their best shot.

Now the disappointment is far less exciting, and a lot more depressing.

Old
01-22-2013, 01:33 PM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

Quote:
I started watching hockey when disappointment meant watching the Leafs get their playoff run ended after watching Sundin et al. give it their best shot.

Now the disappointment is far less exciting, and a lot more depressing.
ah. be happy you missed the 70's and parts of the 80's.

Old
01-22-2013, 01:35 PM
Guy Boucher

Quote:
Your center is generally not supposed to cover the points, he was where you'd normally expect him to be, anticipating a rebound or dump-in along the boards.

Nobody was at fault for that goal. It was a fluke. Had the shot missed the net and rattled around the boards we wouldn't even be talking about it.
It doesn't matter what they're generally supposed to do. Teams don't generally drop three guys to the point either but players have to be smart and read the play which Grabovski didn't.

People are pinning it on Kulemin for not being closer to Ehrhoff but if he was then Pominville would have had a clear opportunity to shoot from the point.

Guy Boucher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 01:38 PM
bunjay

Quote:
ah. be happy you missed the 70's and parts of the 80's.
I hear the 70s made up for it in other ways The 80s...eh, not so much.