HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers win!

Closed Thread

Old
01-21-2013, 02:02 AM
Petro Points

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustE View Post
next most encouraging part: Krueger's excellent use of the players he's got. he has them all in the right position, with right assignment and recieving the right amount of P/T. And, he made some good adjustments as the game went on (ie. throwing Belanger on the 3rd line wing for more veteran presence in the 3rd)
Kruger was good but I still dont agree with Horcoff seeing prime PP minutes. Shouldve been Harti out there in front of the net.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
The Great
Petry-Smid- Everything we wanted from this pairing in order for it to become an NHL top pairing. They weren't taking ***** from anyone in their own zone, even the mighty Sedin's. Petry especially was looking like a top-calibre defenseman for me. Big hits, great skating, great stick, great take-aways. The only blip was that breakaway he gave up to Weise, but that was off of a clumsy pass back to the point by a forward. Great play

Eberle - Dangerous all night, creating something from seemingly nothing time after time. His play speaks for itself.

Hemsky - Expectations need to change for this guy. He's no longer the guy to carry the team on his back. He's here to provide secondary scoring, and he looked dangerous as hell for the most part today. Dangles, speed, and a bit more swagger with the shootout goal. The more confidence this guy gets the more assertive he's going to be (which means more shots, better decisions)

The Good

Dubnyk - That first Edler goal was inexcusable - but I think a Potter screen may have affected Dubnyk's sight on that shot. But what a rest of the game! Stopped the Weise breakaway, robbed a few top-notch opportunities in the slot. Looked like a starting goalie to me today.

RNH - Very solid game from RNH. I know people are frustrated with the lack of offensive play from him today, but what a job he did at taking pucks away, covering for Schultz when he would venture up, and D-zone coverage. He'll be back offensively. No worries there for me.

Gagner - He's not going to be a top-10 2nd line C in the NHL, but he had an overall solid game today. Seemed to keep up speed for most of the game, a great assist to Hemsky on his goal, and a great marker in the shootout.

Smyth-Horcoff-Hartikainen - They did their job at ES, and I'm not surprised they blew so many chances to score because to me they're an entire line of stone hands. BUt if I can look at the scoresheet and see that they went EVEN vs. the top lines of other teams I'm happy.

Eager-Belanger-Petrell - Solid PK play from Belanger-Petrell and great hitting from Eager. They're still a mess in their own zone at ES and have no ability to carry the puck up the ice. But they were physical, put some pressure on VAN in the D-zone, and made their presence felt.

The Schultzes - Solid game from this pairing. I don't see them as being as strong as Petry-Smid, but decent as a second pairing. Got lost at times in their own zone, and seemed to succumb at times to pressure from bigger players like Kassian, but did a good enough job getting the puck out of the zone and onto the forwards' sticks.
Justin - Solid game from him. Got some glimpses of his offensive potential with some insane skates up the ice and opportunities from the slot, and he looked decent defensively with some smart reads and quick sticks. Still getting lost at times in his own zone though, but hopefully as he develops chemistry with Nick this disappears.

Meh

Potter - Was -2 on the night, but looked good on the PK. Kind of screwed up on Edler's goal by getting in the lane and blocking Dubie's view.

Hall - Took 2 unnecessary penalties that jeopardized our chances to come back in this game. Also wasted a lot of solid zone entries by RNH/Ebs by chucking pucks to nobody at the point and wasting time on the PP. But one thing he's always going to be good for is racing to loose pucks and maintaining possession in the zone, and using his speed to create scoring chances. He "looked" dangerous without being dangerous today.

Yakupov - had a nice one-time blast, but we didn't get to see the game-breaking ability from him that I thought he had. Nice for him that there's no pressure on him (yet) to be that person.

The Bad

Whitney - Man he had a rough game. A step slow on almost every play in the D-zone, and completely out of position on the Kassian goal. Hopefully the slowness is from not playing during the lockout. He needs to find his legs if he's going to be playing 20+ min a night this year.
Whitney wasnt bad .. a little slow perhaps but aside from the Kassian goal he was ok. Hopefully shakes of the rust soon and gets even better.

I wouldnt put RNH in the 'good' category.. The bar with him needs to stay high.
Wouldnt mind Kruger swapping Gagner and RNH next game.. Gagner seems to have an extra gear.

Old
01-21-2013, 02:03 AM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
Hartikainen didn't get much done out there. That line could use some speed, especially against the slow less physical Sharks. I wonder if Magnus gets a shot on Tuesday?
He didn't have much of a chance to get anything done, kid only had 6 minutes of icetime according to nhl.com... So MPS on tuesday?

Old
01-21-2013, 02:03 AM
JSC
Registered Sniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobo View Post
No, and I don't know why it's so hard to believe. You can't feasibly believe Hall is better than Eberle or Nuge, and Yakupov's shot puts him above Hall. Really not that big of a stretch. I understand he creates a lot of energy for us, and i'm not saying he's **** or anything. Just saying, he's the weakest of them.
Maybe the least talented, but IMO, up there with Nuge for most valuable. We're just a different team without him. We saw it last year and again in OKC.

Old
01-21-2013, 02:04 AM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

vCash: 50
Whitney looked really slow and that pairing did a lot of chasing in the defensive zone.

It also seemed like Canucks kept ending up behind them while breaking out. We're lucky that pairing didn't give up any breakaways.

Like I said when Edler scored, if Fistric is in the same situation that Potter was in he would step up on Edler and make sure that shot is never taken. Dubnyk never should have let it in though.

I really liked how our bottom six forwards played tonight. All of them.

Old
01-21-2013, 02:05 AM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
I feel offensively he was solid, but seriously if you watch him and Potter in the defensive zone at even-strength it was a bit of a gong show. Whitney moreso than Potter.
Ideally, this supposed 3rd pairing should not have been going against the Sedins..
Considering the opponents and the rust factor.. This pairing was alright.

Old
Joey Moss

vCash: 815
I'm suprised for the praise of the 3rd line. I thought Smyth was our worst player tonight. Did absolutely nothing. Hartikainen was no where to be seen and Horcoff had chances and made them look terrible.

Defense was very good, had no problems with Whitney.. Potter didn't stick out which is a good thing. I still would like to see Fistric in the lineup against San Jose though.

Old
tiger_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessierII View Post
Wow I didn't think Whitney looked bad at all. He messed up on the one goal but he looked more mobile than he has since the injury and was making great choices with the puck all night. I thought Nugent looked off. Potter was probably our worse player.
I did not like what I saw from Whitney tonight. His sleep-walking in the d-zone was the reason for Canucks' 2nd goal. Mishandled the puck on the PP a few times too, but well. he still has time to rebound.
The team as a whole played very well in the third. Hemsky looked like a game-breaker he was a couple years ago. Eberle was dangerous all night. Gagner seems to mesh well with Hemsky. Yakupov was tentative, but man, can he ever fire the puck.

Old
01-21-2013, 02:07 AM
Gobo
What's Your Issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSC View Post
Maybe the least talented, but IMO, up there with Nuge for most valuable. We're just a different team without him. We saw it last year and again in OKC.
That's what I was getting at. He's the weakest link talent-wise. Huge spark for the team though.

Also, Petry-Smid is a legitimate top pairing as far as i'm concerned.

Old
01-21-2013, 02:08 AM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
I'm suprised for the praise of the 3rd line. I thought Smyth was our worst player tonight. Did absolutely nothing. Hartikainen was no where to be seen and Horcoff had chances and made them look terrible.

Defense was very good, had no problems with Whitney.. Potter didn't stick out which is a good thing. I still would like to see Fistric in the lineup against San Jose though.
Smyth was great.. created a lot of pressure and chances for EDM.. hardly a liability ES... great on PK.. good on PP ...
What more did you want from a 3rd liner? aside from 'finish'..

Old
01-21-2013, 02:09 AM
Hemskyfanboy83

Quote:

Offense from that line is just a bonus. I felt they were pushing the play and playing in the Canucks zone which is what we need from them.

Old
01-21-2013, 02:15 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:

The forechecking of the third line was unreal. They almost always managed to get pressure and keep the Canucks out of the D Zone. Pretty effective if you ask me.

Old
01-21-2013, 02:17 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemskyfanboy83 View Post
Offense from that line is just a bonus. I felt they were pushing the play and playing in the Canucks zone which is what we need from them.
Exactly. If they're even at the end of every game I'll feel they've done their job excellently. They're going to get tough match-ups during most games, and at their age aren't the offensive dynamo's they were before. They still looked dangerous at times (Horcoff in alone, Smyth wrap-arounds, Harti crashing net), but I'm not going to be pissed that they blew a bunch of good opportunities if at the other end they're preventing them.

Old
01-21-2013, 02:18 AM
plikestechno

I could go paragraphs but...

Proud of top 2 d pairings and dubie tonight...

Thought the 4th line was great. if they play like that all year they will win us some games.

Fistric for Potter, please, or that pairing is going to bleed goals.

Loved yakupovs posties talking about speed of nhl and how hes going to be better. you could tell it burned him to not be the man tonight. it was so humble yet so intense the way he said it. i love that. nice lesson for him tonight.

Canucks need to get healthy. Without Luongo game might have got out of hand.

Last edited by plikestechno: 01-21-2013 at 02:24 AM.
Old
01-21-2013, 02:19 AM
vickpeterson

Anyone else see late in the second when the Oilers where down 2 and Hall missed a pass and as he was skating back to his own zone almost broke his stick on his thigh out of frustration? Then he was caught on the bench swearing and shaking his head and getting mad at himself. The next shift hhe makes the pass to Eberle who scores. We need that from Hall. He doesnt take losing very well and makes sure everybody knows. No one on the team is built like him. Thank god we have someone like that on our team. You couldn't go wrong with either him or Eberle captain.

Old
01-21-2013, 02:23 AM
Hockey Nightmare
Ex-hockey fan

LAst year, a big part of our losses were specific boneheaded lapses by specific defensemen. With Whitney and Potter, I hope history isn't repeating itself.

Old
01-21-2013, 02:26 AM
plikestechno

Whitney was fine. Potters awful and whitneys too slow to carry him now. whitney needs fistric.

Old
01-21-2013, 02:28 AM
Alex87

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Ones View Post
LAst year, a big part of our losses were specific boneheaded lapses by specific defensemen. With Whitney and Potter, I hope history isn't repeating itself.
Yeah, I thought the second goal wasn't really the fault of either individual, but the pair as a whole. It reminded me of two outfielders getting their wires crossed and flubbing a fly ball; both seemed to think that the other would pick up Kassian heading to the net.

Either way, it's one game and I think we can chalk it up to rust for now. It's the kind of mistake that practice and good coaching can fix.

Old
01-21-2013, 02:31 AM
Spawn

One consistent thing I've noticed about Yakupov is that when he passes the puck he really puts some muscle into it. He just whips it when he gives it the pass. I love it personally, I imagine that some players are going to need to get used to it though.

(Just a completely random thought. I think I've read it hear before too)

Old
01-21-2013, 02:33 AM
Bank Shot

Potter was definitely a culprit on the first goal. He didn't take away any of Edler's time and space. The Oilers probably should have had more depth in their attack on the turnover leading to that goal as well. All three forwards were basically lined up across the ice. No one dropped back to be in a good defensive posture.

I'm really not sure who is the most at fault on the second goal. Whitney and Potter end up in the same corner of the ice. Yakupov probably shouldn't have been roaming behind the net, cutting off Whitney's lanes. Everyone on the ice was puck watching. Not sure if it was Gagner's or Potter's man in front but someone should have been on him.

Kind of a sloppy game. Looking forward to see how this team gels a few games in!

Old
01-21-2013, 02:35 AM
Hockey Nightmare
Ex-hockey fan

Potter was given his chance. Time for the Dallas Star.

Old
01-21-2013, 02:36 AM
awesomo
HARD!

Jordan Eberle has a 20% shooting percentage right now.

Just saying.

Old
01-21-2013, 02:38 AM
Fuhryous

vCash: 50
Here is a link to Kreuger's post game interview:

http://video.oilers.nhl.com/videocen...id=4&id=194362

He praises Yakupov's effort and is pretty happy with both him and Schultz since it was there first NHL game. In regards to the second Canuck goal, Kreuger said their defensive system is closest man goes after the puck and Yakupov was the closest so he did the right thing. He blamed the goal against on miscommunication between the guys still defending in front of the net.

Old
01-21-2013, 02:40 AM
alanschu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedi View Post
Neither goal is a wingers fault....gagner, potter and whitney all screwed up on the the second goal
The first goal has an awful lot of fault on Yakupov. I think he was deferring to Hemsky and forced an extra pass that was easy to pick off. Edler comes back the other way and scores.

Old
01-21-2013, 02:44 AM
pocketful
"We'll see"

Good game tonight. Very surprised we battled and came out with the win after being down 2-0. Great effort by the whole team. All four lines contributed and the PK was perfect.

Petry, Hemsky, and Justin Schultz stood out the most tonight for me. Petry for being a beast outside the one error. Hemsky seems to have more confidence and will provide much needed secondary scoring. Justin Schultz was calm, avoided big hits, and his offensive game showed. It's only a matter of time before the points will start coming for him.

RNH didn't have a great game offensively but I likes his defensive game. Yakupov looked nervous. Once he settles in he will be more than fine. I am actually glad he didn't score tonight. His first goal in Edmonton will be electrifying.

My main concern from tonight was our top lines had trouble setting up and making plays. Powerplay was not good at all either. These things should get better after a few games. A win is a win! Last year I was really gunning for RNH to win Calder. This year I will just hope for the wins to come from a solid team effort made by all.

Old
01-21-2013, 02:45 AM
Qrispy

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanschu View Post
The first goal has an awful lot of fault on Yakupov. I think he was deferring to Hemsky and forced an extra pass that was easy to pick off. Edler comes back the other way and scores.
Nope. Dubnyk should have had that one. Maybe a little screen from Potter but that should have been a routine stop for Dubby.

Closed Thread