HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hawks 6, Coyotes 4

Closed Thread

Old
01-21-2013, 08:39 AM
hockeydoug

vCash: 500
The Bolland pp goal made me happy, and Hjalmarsson made me smile. Plenty of things that made me scratch my head and plenty of things I didn't like to see. Great to see all the scoring chances and 4pts after 2 games.

Old
01-21-2013, 08:52 AM
Hawkaholic

I cant really complain about anyone but Emery today, but he's our back up who got the W and it was his first game since March of last year..? So i'll cut him a little slack.

Everybody was great last night, although Seabs had a couple head scratchers.

Oduya and Hammer are looking like a really solid 2nd pair so far, and I dont know how you keep Rozi out of the starting line up from here on out. I feel bad for Brookbank, who will likely only see the ice when someone gets injured or needs a break.

I would like to see Mayers replace Bollig soon, but not against STL.

Old
01-21-2013, 08:57 AM
BobbyJet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
I cant really complain about anyone but Emery today, but he's our back up who got the W and it was his first game since March of last year..? So i'll cut him a little slack.

Everybody was great last night, although Seabs had a couple head scratchers.

Oduya and Hammer are looking like a really solid 2nd pair so far, and I dont know how you keep Rozi out of the starting line up from here on out. I feel bad for Brookbank, who will likely only see the ice when someone gets injured or needs a break.

I would like to see Mayers replace Bollig soon, but not against STL.
I won't be surprised if both play next game. Odd man out? Saad or Shaw perhaps?

Old
01-21-2013, 09:10 AM
committedindian86
Flip The Switch

Hossa is on a mission

Old
01-21-2013, 09:21 AM
Atomic Punk
Mean Streets

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
I won't be surprised if both play next game. Odd man out? Saad or Shaw perhaps?
I wouldn't mind seeing Shaw sit.

Old
01-21-2013, 09:45 AM
bulletwwings

Can't Mayers play C?...instead of pulling Shaw or Bollig for the STL game, play them both and pull Kruger. I dunno if it's just me but I think he is absolutley worthless out there. He gets beat around, can't win a draw, can't shoot, can't hit...Saad looked much better than Kruger...

Last edited by bulletwwings: 01-21-2013 at 09:47 AM. Reason: clarity...
Old
01-21-2013, 09:50 AM
DayNah
Ship it donk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletwwings View Post
Can't Mayers play C?...instead of pulling Shaw or Bollig for the STL game, play them both and pull Kruger. I dunno if it's just me but I think he is absolutley worthless out there. He gets beat around, can't win a draw, can't shoot, can't hit...Saad looked much better than Kruger...
I think Kruger's been great on the PK. He's not sitting over Saad. No chance.

Old
01-21-2013, 09:52 AM
MadhouseOnMadison
Man crush on Amonte

I'm hearing a few references to the 2010 team in the post-game interviews. It seems like the guys have confidence in each other this year and the team is looking good on and off the ice. While they're not as deep or talented as the '10 team they're still rolling four solid lines that are producing when they need to. I don't think we'll have another team that's as good on paper as the Cup winning team any time soon but right now these guys are playing solid hockey right out of the gate.

If we could just get some support in goal I think we can make some noise this season.

Old
01-21-2013, 10:08 AM
bulletwwings

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayNah View Post
I think Kruger's been great on the PK. He's not sitting over Saad. No chance.
I mean I just don't get it. Saad has a better chance of being the better player and actually was picking off passes last night, while all I saw Kruger do was get knocked around all night, and do nothing of worth. Maybe I'm wrong, but I really do not like Kruger at all I just don't see what he brings to the team.

Old
01-21-2013, 10:10 AM
EmeticDonut

Sit Shaw, he's the one that's been useless. Krüger has been good.

Old
01-21-2013, 10:18 AM
Sevanston

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
Good on Q to not be passive about this weakness. Kruger taking faceoffs in our end or on the PK will kill us if Q let's it go on. What makes it worse is that Toews is the only comsistent player we have at the dot.
Yeah, Q did great "addressing the weakness" by putting the worse center and faceoff man in the middle.

Shaw was at 40% on draws, Kruger was at 63%, and Kruger's been playing better than Shaw for every second of ice time over the last two games.

Old
01-21-2013, 10:20 AM
massivegoonery

Quote:
I mean I just don't get it. Saad has a better chance of being the better player and actually was picking off passes last night, while all I saw Kruger do was get knocked around all night, and do nothing of worth. Maybe I'm wrong, but I really do not like Kruger at all I just don't see what he brings to the team.
This is a joke, right?

Old
01-21-2013, 10:21 AM
bulletwwings

Quote:
Originally Posted by massivegoonery View Post
This is a joke, right?
No, sorry I really don't like the guy. Maybe I wasn't watching very closely but he just really p***es me off...

Old
01-21-2013, 10:34 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 50
Hossa in total beast mode two games in. Know it's impossible to keep that up, but damn glad he had a few extra months to recover. He clearly benefited from the lockout essentially as much as anyone.

Old
01-21-2013, 10:36 AM
massivegoonery

Quote:
No, sorry I really don't like the guy. Maybe I wasn't watching very closely but he just really p***es me off...
Well, you're wrong.

Old
01-21-2013, 10:37 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 50
Remember the people who were saying we should buy out Hossa? Please stop saying that. Thanks!

Old
01-21-2013, 10:45 AM
bulletwwings

Quote:
Originally Posted by massivegoonery View Post
Well, you're wrong.
Then please, explain to me what he does. Make me a believer...wow me.

Old
01-21-2013, 11:17 AM
theaub
Lets go Hawks!

Kruger had to have broken up 20 passes last night

He was beyond fantastic defensively, and if anyone was being pushed at will off the puck it was Shaw.

Old
01-21-2013, 11:26 AM
Cullksinikers

Kruger's board work, defensive assistance, and penalty killing has been tremendous thus far. He also has had some very nice, crisp passes. It's only two games in, but I am warming up to him. I think some time in Rockford really did him well. Imagine that.

Old
01-21-2013, 11:27 AM
Chris Hansen
VERSTEEG REDEMPTION

Kruger's been a nice surprise to start this year. Still looks weak offensively, although he did pick up a nice assist in LA. But some really good defensive plays so far.

Old
01-21-2013, 11:33 AM
Cullksinikers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
Kruger's been a nice surprise to start this year. Still looks weak offensively, although he did pick up a nice assist in LA. But some really good defensive plays so far.
If he's in the bottom-six, he only needs to chip in here and there as long as the big dogs on the top two lines keep eating.

Old
01-21-2013, 11:38 AM
Jeffrey Lebowski
Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

I've had my doubts about Kruger but if he can continue playing how he has the first 2 games, I think he could easily slot in as our 3rd line center providing that Bolland is our 2nd line C.

He's been good defensively since last year but it looks like his offense is coming along. He may still be a little weak but it seems like he's abandoning the idea of being a physical presence (which worked against him last year) and is now playing a more positional/opportunity based game. He's broken up a lot of passes/rushes and is making a few good ones of his own. If you haven't seen that in the past 2 games, then maybe your bias towards him is just too strong. I don't get why you would want to continue to hold a grudge against your own player if he is genuinely improving.

Anyway, here's a few thoughts on last night's game:

Emery- Looks like he did last year. Made a good save or two, but let in a few horrible ones. That first goal that slid between his legs made me literally lol.

Hjalmarsson- This is the Hammer that I remember loving. Physical when available but solid defensively. This type of play is really gonna solidify our 2nd pairing... regardless of who's playing with him.

Roszival- Should be on our 2nd pairing until he starts slowing down. Played a very solid game and that pass to Hossa on his goal was perfect.

Toews- Looked solid and played with intensity. Nothing really new, but it's nice to see him have a fast start.

Kane- Came out this year and said he had something to prove, and he's proving it. I was skeptical at first considering he said the same thing before last year... but he looks like a beast.

Hossa- Just a beast. He's going to slow down eventually, but this is a phenomenal start for him. The lockout really helped him, methinks.

Leddy- Still has a couple of flaws, but he's been solid defensively and is gaining the red/blue lines with ease. I'd like to see him rush the puck a bit more.

Bolland- I've been saying it for years now, but it looks like giving him the shot to be our 2nd line center is paying off. Hopefully it stays this way. He has all the tools to compliment offensive players... he just needs to have the talent on his wings.

Bollig- Waste of a roster space, IMO. Yeah, he's not a bad option as our 13th forward if we need a grinder/enforcer but I just don't see him providing much besides staged fights with the other team's token fighter. I think it's more likely we see Shaw stand up in a meaningful fight after a big hit or something than Bollig. Would rather see Mayers, Smith, Beach or Hayes given a shot in that spot.

Shaw- Should not play center. Looks more effective being aggressive on the forecheck on wing than playing back and minding his defensive responsibilities. Still like his grittiness and offensive instincts. Should be on the wing on the 3rd line or 4th line.

Stalberg- Looked a little lost in LA, but played with a purpose against the Yotes. Had a nice hard wrister to score that goal and I think it's a sign of things to come. Let's re-sign this guy right now.

Bickell- Outside of that nice board play/pass to Stalberg on his goal, I didn't really see anything from him. Still tries to pull that wrister from the top of the circle or blue line and gets blocked. Really needs to reinvent his game to play that powerforward role if he wants to have an impact in this league.

Oduya- Had a few boneheaded plays but I think he was pretty solid all-around. As long as his play doesn't taper off, I think he'll show why we re-signed him.

Saad- Looks comfortable but that's about it. Didn't create much but wasn't a liability either. The fact that he looks like he belongs in the top 6 is a positive sign. Hoping that he gets to get at least 3 more games in the top 6 with Toews/Hossa to show that he's our best option up there. He's going to be a solid player.

Sharp- Unnoticeable in LA, great game in Phoenix. That wrister over Smith's shoulder was such a dirty snipe.

Old
01-21-2013, 11:44 AM
Chris Hansen
VERSTEEG REDEMPTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
If he's in the bottom-six, he only needs to chip in here and there as long as the big dogs on the top two lines keep eating.
Yep. No problems with his play so far. He's finally playing the role that best suits him (currently).

Old
01-21-2013, 12:05 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Remember the people who were saying we should buy out Hossa? Please stop saying that. Thanks!
I wasn't saying we SHOULD buy him out, only if we sign Perry and Hossa get's another concussion or his play tapers off, which clearly it hasn't.

No one would say buy him out if he continues to play like this.

Old
01-21-2013, 12:08 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 400
Quote:
I dont like Kruger but he has been great so far to start of year

Closed Thread