HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Vancouver Sun: Burke possesses the fatal flaw of character - obnoxious arrogance

Old
01-21-2013, 08:49 AM
Liminality

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoebottom View Post
Totally agree with that article. Burke was a carnival barker with three ex-GMs doing his work for him. He took Toronto for a ride, he promised and hyped, but in the end the ride never lived up to the hype. Deal with it...
So you think he was doing no GM work and was just here to talk his mouth off?

That's some assumption.

Liminality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 08:56 AM
Donmega

I didn't read the article as it's vancouver sun, but burkies biggest flaw was his huge ego. You would never see him trade lombardi or waive connoly this season because he just wouldn't admit mistake.

Donmega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 08:59 AM
Anthrax442

vCash: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donmega View Post
I didn't read the article as it's vancouver sun, but burkies biggest flaw was his huge ego. You would never see him trade lombardi or waive connoly this season because he just wouldn't admit mistake.
Just like he didn't move Versteeg?

Anthrax442 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 09:05 AM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:
His biggest flaw is fans re-writing his history and then applying it to future events.

Myself, I miss Burke and Wilson. Those guys cracked me up.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 09:11 AM
Bomber0104

Brian Burke was one of the most dishonest sports personalities the likes of Toronto has ever encountered. He was an embarrassment to many knowledgable hockey fans who knew he was a carnival barker the entire time, and willfully deceived the less knowledgable, docile fans who readily believed anything he said. That's the only thing I disagree with about this article.

Personally I am quite glad our new ownership has excellent business minds such as George Cope, who saw through all of Burke's baloney.

As per TSN, this is what ticked George off in one of his performance assessments of Brian Burke.

Cope: Why is the club bad?
Burke: Because we have no #1 goalie or center.
Cope: Why haven't you been able to get one since 2008?
Burke: (excuse)
Cope: How do you plan to get either of these in the future?
Burke: Just give me some time, I got a plan.
Cope: What is the plan?
Burke: Trusting Brian Burke. That's my plan. I have to trust THE Brian Burke.

Bomber0104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 09:15 AM
Bomber0104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthrax442 View Post
Just like he didn't move Versteeg?
I didn't understand that move because he was on record saying many times that he is "too impatient" to wait for a draft pick and that he needs to win now and make the playoffs.

Like I said, one of the single most dishonest, fradulent members of Toronto's sporting community ever.

So glad he got canned.

Old
01-21-2013, 09:38 AM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Yawn.

7even is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 09:39 AM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomber0104 View Post
I didn't understand that move because he was on record saying many times that he is "too impatient" to wait for a draft pick and that he needs to win now and make the playoffs.

Like I said, one of the single most dishonest, fradulent members of Toronto's sporting community ever.

So glad he got canned.
You seem to be under the impression that Brian Burke owed you something.

7even is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 09:41 AM
Bomber0104

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
He owed it to Toronto to deliver results.

The team is worse and so are the prospects.

Now he's fired.

Justice.

Old
01-21-2013, 09:42 AM
firstemperor

Eh it's a bit extreme, but it's correct on several points. While I wouldn't necessarily say he was angry at owners (which I genuinely think he was not given his performance).....his role in hockey operations, and his stubbornness to adapt to the climate and/or acknowledge his shortcomings led to his inevitable demise.

firstemperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 09:43 AM
firstemperor

Quote:
Good point and Don Cherry was partially correct in saying he held onto Wilson too long and handed him a fancy parting gift just before he fired him.

firstemperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 09:47 AM
Pilky01
@JamesD_TO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
He owed all Maple Leaf fans something. At this point, that something is an apology.

I don't believe he ever really understood what he was getting himself into. His intro press conference, talking about getting out in the community and such...what did he think this organization was doing before him? Laughing at sick children? He wasn't hired because the Leafs were lacking in philanthropy. He was hired to win.

He should have been fired the moment he even floated the idea of trading first round picks.

Burke had one mandate. Take your time, and build a winner. He had an absolute free pass. Nobody said "make the playoffs now!" when he was hired. He walked into just about the most fortuitous, rarest situation in all of sports...a rabid fanbase, who all agreed that he should take his time and build responsibly.

So what did he do? Demand immediate success to satisfy nothing more than his own over-blown ego.

Good riddance to that blowhard idiot.

Pilky01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 09:50 AM
Clark4Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomber0104 View Post

The team is worse and so are the prospects.
Really? So your'e insinuating that the overall state of the organization was better in 2008?

Burke didn't deliver as promised, but asinine comments like this are completely unsubstantiated.

Clark4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 09:50 AM
Bomber0104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilky01 View Post
He owed all Maple Leaf fans something. At this point, that something is an apology.

I don't believe he ever really understood what he was getting himself into. His intro press conference, talking about getting out in the community and such...what did he think this organization was doing before him? Laughing at sick children? He wasn't hired because the Leafs were lacking in philanthropy. He was hired to win.

He should have been fired the moment he even floated the idea of trading first round picks.

Burke had one mandate. Take your time, and build a winner. He had an absolute free pass. Nobody said "make the playoffs now!" when he was hired. He walked into just about the most fortuitous, rarest situation in all of sports...a rabid fanbase, who all agreed that he should take his time and build responsibly.

So what did he do? Demand immediate success to satisfy nothing more than his own over-blown ego.

Good riddance to that blowhard idiot.
“The Toronto Maple Leafs are a public trust with the greatest fans in the world,”

- Larry Tanenbaum

Old
01-21-2013, 09:51 AM
Bomber0104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark4Ever View Post
Really? So your'e insinuating that the overall state in the organization was better in 2008?

I'm not insinuating anything.

I am stating the precise things you just quoted.

Old
01-21-2013, 09:51 AM
daveleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
His biggest flaw is fans re-writing his history and then applying it to future events.

Myself, I miss Burke and Wilson. Those guys cracked me up.
This teams standings are his own. The trades are his own. His blow ups with the media are all his own. Wherever Burke lands he has an issue with someone shortly after. I wouldn't be surprised if he says he would rent out a barn at any place and any time and take on Anselmi and Lowe together.

Most over rated hockey executive of all time. Wilson most over rated coach of all time.

daveleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 09:57 AM
Pinto
Burn Them All

vCash: 50
I know people say this a lot...

But I saw "Vancouver Sun", and didn't even read a word of the article.

Pinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 10:09 AM
eyeball11

Quote:
What mistake? He didn't acquire Lombardi as the asset and he had Connolly for all of 2 years until his guys developed.

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 10:17 AM
eyeball11

Apparently we should seek someone who thinks he is dumber than everyone else and is deeply concerned over what the world thinks of him.

Also loved the line about "quantity over quality". One should always seek quality. Hard to take the author seriously if he thinks otherwise.

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 10:18 AM
Bomber0104

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball11 View Post
What mistake? He didn't acquire Lombardi as the asset and he had Connolly for all of 2 years until his guys developed.
All I can say is that it is a blessing in disguise that Burke screwed up with both those players so bad...otherwise the Leafs would have done better as a team and we wouldn't have Morgan Rielly in our system.

Old
01-21-2013, 10:20 AM
Bomber0104

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball11 View Post
Apparently we should seek someone who thinks he is dumber than everyone else and is deeply concerned over what the world thinks of him.

Also loved the line about "quantity over quality". One should always seek quality. Hard to take the author seriously if he thinks otherwise.
Nope.

A couple of draft picks can change a team's future for years.

The team is just as terrible with Kessel as it is without him.

In the case of the Kessel trade we lost out on both quantity and quality.

Old
01-21-2013, 10:21 AM
Tarmore

I did not and will not read an article from that paper int hat city, it will be a straight out character assissination.

They didn't have the guts to print something like this when BB had a platform with shich to defend himself.

Tarmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 10:23 AM
Donmega

I like kessel but honestly if you think it was a good deal trading those picks away you are in denial. Burke knew it, but again his huge ego would never admit it.

Donmega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 10:32 AM
trellaine201

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeywiz542 View Post
LOL bias van sun, they had some real run ins with him. And he refused to be interviewed with certain media. Sure some of what the story is true but the media has a vendetta and still cant let it go.

Oh to live in vancouver and listen to the media and canuck fans. I dont mind the team, its the fans i hate.

trellaine201 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 10:33 AM
Epictetus
Global Moderator
Create yourself.

vCash: 4200
I don't even think the Toronto Sun would compare Brian Burke to Lance Armstrong, as this article does.

Hopefully even those that hate Brian Burke with a passion can admit this is a disgusting comparison, as both are totally different human beings.

Epictetus is online now   Reply With Quote