HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > The Lounge
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Lounge "...Where the parking lot of the Igloo meets the concourse of the Nassau County Coliseum and the bathroom line of the Skyreach..." - Wickedbsfan

Worst/Best places in Alberta

Old
01-21-2013, 10:42 PM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkpei View Post
I am thinking about moving to Medicine Hat or Red Deer in the next year. I can't stand PEI anymore.
Definitely two blue collar areas. I like both cities as you can get to wherever you need to go in 15-20 minutes or less. Same reason I live in Lethbridge. Plus Calgary is close enough and so is the border to Montana.

loudi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 11:18 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Best: Jasper
Worst: The area around the hostel in Calgary. Some crackhead stole my cell phone.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 11:27 AM
Oscar Acosta
Bat Country

vCash: 738
Best: Canmore
Worst: High Level and anywhere up there that actually pays you a fee to live there with the living allowance. It's for a reason.

Oscar Acosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 11:53 AM
Hoser

vCash: 500
I can't speak to anywhere north of Edmonton, I've never been that far north, but as far as southern and central Alberta go the worst place I've ever been is easily Hobbema. It's a slum.

The best? That's harder to qualify. Of the big cities I think Edmonton and Calgary each have their own strong points. Calgary has much more inner-city infrastructure and a much denser downtown with better shopping and other private amenities. Edmonton isn't as congested and is in many ways more 'pleasant' for it.

Banff townsite is a cheesy tourist trap full of overpriced gift shops and otherwise the same chain stores as any other town. I don't even like going there anymore. Canmore is similar but it is located outside of the national park boundary, which really is a plus.

I think my favourite places are the foothills south of Peter Lougheed Provincial Park all the way down to Waterton National Park. There isn't much to do per se but the scenery is beautiful.

I'm also partial to the badlands around Drumheller. Again, not much to do save going to the Royal Tyrell Museum, but the desolate arid scenery is beautiful. You wouldn't think you'd find a desert complete with cacti and such in Canada. I like it precisely because it's nowhere near as popular a tourist destination as the mountains.

Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 06:01 PM
coupe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94 View Post
Definitely two blue collar areas. I like both cities as you can get to wherever you need to go in 15-20 minutes or less. Same reason I live in Lethbridge. Plus Calgary is close enough and so is the border to Montana.
I have 2 kids so that is why I looked into them and housing cost about the same as Charlottetown.

coupe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 07:07 PM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

vCash: 1322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoser View Post
I can't speak to anywhere north of Edmonton, I've never been that far north, but as far as southern and central Alberta go the worst place I've ever been is easily Hobbema. It's a slum.

The best? That's harder to qualify. Of the big cities I think Edmonton and Calgary each have their own strong points. Calgary has much more inner-city infrastructure and a much denser downtown with better shopping and other private amenities. Edmonton isn't as congested and is in many ways more 'pleasant' for it.

Banff townsite is a cheesy tourist trap full of overpriced gift shops and otherwise the same chain stores as any other town. I don't even like going there anymore. Canmore is similar but it is located outside of the national park boundary, which really is a plus.

I think my favourite places are the foothills south of Peter Lougheed Provincial Park all the way down to Waterton National Park. There isn't much to do per se but the scenery is beautiful.

I'm also partial to the badlands around Drumheller. Again, not much to do save going to the Royal Tyrell Museum, but the desolate arid scenery is beautiful. You wouldn't think you'd find a desert complete with cacti and such in Canada. I like it precisely because it's nowhere near as popular a tourist destination as the mountains
The reptile house in Drumheller is great, and virtually unknown

saskriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 10:18 PM
Topp Spin
STIHL 286

Quote:
Originally Posted by devils4cup View Post
Best: Jasper

Smaller town then Banff but just as nice.

Worst: Fox Creek

2nd Worst: Grande Prairie
LOL, I live and work in Fox Creek. Calling it a dump would be putting it nicely. I dislike the town, but love my plant and the people I work with. The town is so transient and rig pigs galore! The attrition at our plant is also a big worry. No one wants to live in fox creek, so everyone gets their experience and leaves. If this plant was right outside of Edmonton or Calgary, it would be impossible to get a job at; the people are that great!

GP aint that bad...

Topp Spin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 11:01 PM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkpei View Post
I have 2 kids so that is why I looked into them and housing cost about the same as Charlottetown.
I'd say the 3 cities are very comparable. I'd go Red Deer or Lethbridge before moving to the Hat but that's just a matter of personal taste. On the flip side, my brother moved to Kensington last year to retire.

loudi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 11:04 PM
Ser Woof
Too proud to beg

vCash: 86
Best-

Calgary
Edmonton
Jasper
Banff
Anywhere in the majestic Canadian Rockies

Worst-

Everywhere else.

Ser Woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 06:35 AM
octopi

vCash: 703
I live in calgary, and for a big city, it is pretty good. It is sprawling, so we have terrific air quality. The city is riddled with beautiful parks. I can literally walk for hours and barely see houses at all just up from the river. I don't bother with Nose Hill, it is bland, But the Silver Springs enviroment park is filled with all sorts of flora, fauna, has little trickling streams, a few waterfalls and is frequented by butter and dragonflies.

I've been to K country, lake Louise, Banff, Edmonton, some lake I can't remember the name of, and I can honestly say most of Alberta is quite pleasant. Generally the scenery is so fantastic that I have zero desire to travel anywhere.

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 09:53 PM
Lux Aurumque*

As someone who has seen a majority of the province during work and travel:

Best:
Edmonton
Calgary
St Albert
Banff
Jasper
Peace River
Slave Lake
St. Paul

Worst:
Fort McMurray
Athabasca
High Level
Morinville
Airdrie
Dread Rear
Any reserve ever

and the worst place in the province (possibly in the entire country) is...

Drayton Valley

I'm actually working in Grande Cache right now, and it's gorgeous here, but I don't have the greatest impression of it because I've had no time to enjoy myself.

Lux Aurumque* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 02:28 AM
Honour Over Glory

There's a best anything in Alberta?

Color me surprised.

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 03:40 PM
M00se

I've lived in a bunch of different communities and have visited a bunch more.

My favorite place to live was Red Deer. To visit would be Banff.

My least favorite place I lived in was Wetaskiwin (BY FAR!), my least place to visit was Fox Creek (or really any oil town in northern Alberta).

I now live in a tiny town in Central East Alberta, Killam, other than being 2 hours from Edmonton or Red Deer for any sort of shopping we love it out here, its a great place to raise a family. It would be one of my favorite palces I've lived.

Last edited by M00se: 01-24-2013 at 03:46 PM.
M00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 06:03 PM
Philly85
Moody'

As an Edmontonian, I vote Calgary as best city in terms of appearance and cleanliness. Has a lot of nice districts and areas, decent bar scene which is pretty much exact same as Edmonton's although more spread out perhaps? Has a more "polished", big city feel to it. Plus the mountains are closer by.

Edmonton is very good too as a city, has improved by leaps and bounds in terms of esthetics and architecture (although not enough)... river valley is enormous, sprawling parks and trails in and around the downtown core to make you feel like your not even in a city. Very excited about that enormous arena district which should help spruce things up downtown 10 fold. Tons of festivals in the summer time.

Other than those two big cities I'd say Jasper, Banff, Canmore, Waterton. Crows Nest Pass and places in and around there are beautiful and great to visit as well, not necessarily to live though IMO, even though I've had some of the best times of my life in Banff and Jasper...

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 07:02 PM
takehisheadoff

[QUOTE=
Worst: The area around the hostel in Calgary. Some crackhead stole my cell phone.[/QUOTE]

That's like Crackhead central. Right by the beautiful Alpha House. You know if anyone ever wants to go to a Flames/Hitmen game in Calgary you can get free accomodations right across the C train tracks and stay at the Alpha House with all the nice people that hang outside and drink Jumbos of Listerine and huff paint thinner.

takehisheadoff is offline   Reply With Quote