HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Burke to Philly

Closed Thread

Old
01-21-2013, 04:20 AM
phillipmike

vCash: 500
Burke to Philly

To me it seems like a match made in heaven.

Burke basically preaches the Broad Street Bullies attitude. He is no nonsense and believes in a rough and tough hockey team. Burke wants to be a GM ASAP and hopes to be hired by a team that does not plan on changing owners. Something that is not likely to happen in the near or distant future in Philly.

Burke probably would like to stay in the east coast because of his family and would join his son Patrick in Philly.

Holmgren has inherited a pretty good team and his maintained that over his tenure with a great foundation. But he has not got them over the hump; which may believe he is on thin ice if the results do not show this season.

Some fans claim that Burke cannot rebuild a team and that he is best suited for a team already built where he can take them to the next level (i.e. Anaheim).

Overall i know Philly fans are extremely happy with their team's foundation and most of Homer's moves. But i just think Burke in Philly seems like a match made in heaven (well excluding Boston as i think PC will be there for awhile). And it maybe more than that if Philly cant put a deep playoff run together this season which may fall on the shoulders of Bryz and the loss of Richards and Carter. Losing Richards and Carter is not a bad thing considering the GREAT pieces they got back. But Holmgren's fate maybe tied to his goal-tending situation and Bryz's contract.

Burke a good fit in Philly? Yay or Nay?

What do you think?

Old
01-21-2013, 04:25 AM
BoHorvatFan

Do they already have a really good goalie? If the answer is no then the answer to this thread is no. Burke would just stick with Bryz until his contract runs out because ''he's good enough'' and he's a ''loyal players gm''

I'd rather have Holmgren than Burke.

Old
01-21-2013, 04:33 AM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by NugentHopkinsfan View Post
Do they already have a really good goalie? If the answer is no then the answer to this thread is no. Burke would just stick with Bryz until his contract runs out because ''he's good enough'' and he's a ''loyal players gm''

I'd rather have Holmgren than Burke.
The Flyers fans sound pretty happy with his play so far. Sounds like the bigger issue right now is D.

Old
01-21-2013, 08:06 AM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
The Flyers fans sound pretty happy with his play so far. Sounds like the bigger issue right now is D.
Yep, he's been pretty good this season so far

2 goals on him the last 2 days were deflections by his defensemen which are hard to stop for any goalie.

As for the issues :

Defense and the PK are the big issues.

Fedetenko and Talbot, who both play on our PK, have been absolutely terrible thus far.

Old
01-21-2013, 09:01 AM
BillDineen

Homer>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Burke

And Burke is garbage.

Old
01-21-2013, 09:11 AM
MuchoMacho

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post
Homer>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Burke

And Burke is garbage.
That didn't take long.

Old
01-21-2013, 09:21 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallHockeyLegend View Post
That didn't take long.
The Burke is garbage part, or for someone to correctly point out Homer > Burke?

Old
01-21-2013, 09:27 AM
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies

I wouldn't fire Homer nor would I replace Homer with Burke. Since we just promoted Paddock to asst. coach from asst. GM (if you call that a promotion), Burke can fill the vacant asst. GM spot

I'm not the biggest Burke fan, but whatever

Old
01-21-2013, 09:47 AM
Dark Knight
18 Wheeler Commander

Broad St. Bullies term associated with Burke has no merit. He wanted the Leafs to play with testosterone, belligerence, and pugnacity and wasn't able to achieve that, let alone playoffs in his 4.5 years here.

01-21-2013, 10:32 AM
zytz
lumberjack

As an outsider I've gotta say Philly would be better off sticking with their current GM

Old
01-21-2013, 10:35 AM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillipmike View Post

Burke basically preaches the Broad Street Bullies attitude. He is no nonsense and believes in a rough and tough hockey team. Burke wants to be a GM ASAP and hopes to be hired by a team that does not plan on changing owners. Something that is not likely to happen in the near or distant future in Philly.

Burke probably would like to stay in the east coast because of his family and would join his son Patrick in Philly.

Holmgren has inherited a pretty good team and his maintained that over his tenure with a great foundation. But he has not got them over the hump; which may believe he is on thin ice if the results do not show this season.

Some fans claim that Burke cannot rebuild a team and that he is best suited for a team already built where he can take them to the next level (i.e. Anaheim).

Overall i know Philly fans are extremely happy with their team's foundation and most of Homer's moves. But i just think Burke in Philly seems like a match made in heaven (well excluding Boston as i think PC will be there for awhile). And it maybe more than that if Philly cant put a deep playoff run together this season which may fall on the shoulders of Bryz and the loss of Richards and Carter. Losing Richards and Carter is not a bad thing considering the GREAT pieces they got back. But Holmgren's fate maybe tied to his goal-tending situation and Bryz's contract.

What do you think?
Burke might preach rough and tough but he built one of the softest teams in the league. Actions speak louder than words. How does Burke's performance merit consideration over Philly's current management. Burke could learn a few things from them.

Old
Billy6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
Broad St. Bullies term associated with Burke has no merit. He wanted the Leafs to play with testosterone, belligerence, and pugnacity and wasn't able to achieve that, let alone playoffs in his 4.5 years here.
You forgot truculence.

Old
12345*

Its a coaching issue rather than a GM issue. Gunning style play, while entertaining, will not win Cups. And there is a disconnect between the defense and the style they are looking to play.

Old
01-21-2013, 10:38 AM
pigpen65

The super soft teams he put together in Toronto, i don't know how you can say he would be good for toughening a team up. It's true that he preaches toughness, but he's known more now for not practicing what he preaches.

Old
01-21-2013, 10:49 AM
BinCookin

Holmgren has been making some very bold moves.

Richards and Carter out for new young direction.

Honestly his style is bold and agressive and risky. Very similar to Burke.

I think a team that has been too shy with trades, is the team that needs Burke.

Phi is the last team that you would argue has been too shy.

Old
01-21-2013, 10:56 AM
MacOfNiagara
Blue&Gold from birth

Quote:

Just IMO (and I am not a Leaf or Burke hater) but,

For all his talk about truculence and pugnacity the team he ended up creating seemed to lack a fair bit of both. Not butter soft, but certainly nothing fierce in those departments.

For all his talk of building from the net out he seemed to have ended up with the opposite

Last edited by MacOfNiagara: 01-21-2013 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Added emphasis (bolding)
Old
01-21-2013, 11:00 AM
ORYX

I think Philly's biggest mistake was one that seemed forced by the Owner, and that was the length of Bryzgalov's contract.

He can be a stud, as we have seen, but he can also be a dud.

The moves Homgren has made have all made this team better. Its not that I think Burke is a bad option, but you can't fire a guy because the team didnt win the Stanley cup when he has thrown the max amounts of money at the two biggest free agents last year, Offer sheeted arguably the best defencemen in the league etc. They didnt want to come, and the team matched. Not his fault.

I know Snider wants a winner now, but he needs to realize the core of the team is locked up long term, there is no sense making rushed decisions etc and spending more then needed to bring in the extra pieces.

If Philly plays its cards right and is patient, they could have a ver very strong team for years to come. All thats missing is a true number 1. They don't grow on trees though!

Old
01-21-2013, 11:03 AM
ORYX

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacOfNiagara View Post
Just IMO (and I am not a Leaf or Burke hater) but,

For all his talk about truculence and pugnacity the team he ended up creating seemed to lack a fair bit of both. Not butter soft, but certainly nothing fierce in those departments.

For all his talk of building from the net out he seemed to have ended up with the opposite
He brought in forwards in Kessel and Lupul who are "soft", but would have his resident tough guys on line 4. That doesnt seem to work in todays NHL.

If you want team toughness, some of your top 6 players need to have an edge to their game, and your depth players have to have a skill set outside of "truculance and pugnacity" otherwise you'll keep missing the playoffs.

Look at playoff teams, they have more then a line or two of strong players. The leafs 4th line the past several years has been AHL tough guys at best, with an underwhelming top 2 lines.

Old
01-21-2013, 11:08 AM
HighOFFHockey

No thanks, definitely early to talk about this stuff. Holmgren is a great GM. Flyers started 0-3-3 last season...I'm not worried. The only reason the flyers lost both games was because of sloppy play not because of talent. This is still a playoff team.

Old
01-21-2013, 11:15 AM
FlyLife
Nuthin but a G Thang

Holmgren isn't going anywhere as GM. If Burke wants to come along for the ride, then sure.

Bryzgalov was most likely Snyder's idea, so no, Holmgren's fate is not tied to Bryz.

Old
01-21-2013, 11:31 AM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy6 View Post
You forgot truculence.
so did Burke when he built his leafs team.

Old
01-21-2013, 03:07 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 555
Quote:

What do you think?
Whoa whoa whoa...Holmgren inherited a "pretty good" team? You can't be serious. The responsibility was dumped on him several games into the franchise's worst season. He turned **** into gold in 1 season, going from worst in the league to the ECF, WHILE losing out on the Patrick Kane sweepstakes. He inherited Richards, Gagne, Knuble and Carter, and that's about it. In one year, he stole Coburn from ATL, landed Briere, Upshall, Timonen, Hartnell, Lupul, and other key pieces for next to nothing, and turned one of those pieces into Pronger.

I have no problem with Burke in Philly, but not as GM. He'd have to be 100% willing to take a back seat role.

Old
01-21-2013, 03:40 PM
captainpaxil

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
Whoa whoa whoa...Holmgren inherited a "pretty good" team? You can't be serious. The responsibility was dumped on him several games into the franchise's worst season. He turned **** into gold in 1 season, going from worst in the league to the ECF, WHILE losing out on the Patrick Kane sweepstakes. He inherited Richards, Gagne, Knuble and Carter, and that's about it. In one year, he stole Coburn from ATL, landed Briere, Upshall, Timonen, Hartnell, Lupul, and other key pieces for next to nothing, and turned one of those pieces into Pronger.

I have no problem with Burke in Philly, but not as GM. He'd have to be 100% willing to take a back seat role.
and then didnt win a cup. honestly watching lomabrdi and his slow growth style out in la has me thinking the next gm in philly will be ron hextall.

Old
01-21-2013, 03:51 PM
Adversary

Burke would finally have both schenn's

Old
01-21-2013, 04:13 PM
JS19
Four Kicks

Quote:

What do you think?
Before you made this thread, you should've asked yourself the question: why would Philly want to fire Holmgren? He's a GM that has consistently shown that he will do anything to put his team in the position of being a perennial contender (even if it meant Richards/Carter was no longer in the future).

Closed Thread