HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wings should Draft a Winger in 1st Round

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-01-2013, 01:34 PM
  #1
Octopus
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 248
vCash: 500
Wings should Draft a Winger in 1st Round

I was predisposed with Detroit drafting another defenceman in the first round this year, but with the DeKeyser signing I really hope they get a scoring winger. My first choice is Anthony Mantha out of the Q. He is a beast at 6'3/4" and can score (50 goals this year) If goes earlier than the Wings pick, maybe Erne from the Q again or Rychel who plays for Windsor. Please don't trade the pick this year Mr. Holland!

Octopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 01:38 PM
  #2
Jurky
Rotting in purgatory
 
Jurky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,211
vCash: 50
Prospect depth at winger is pretty good ATM, center (especially prospective #1 C) is the most pressing need IMO.

Jurky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 01:42 PM
  #3
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!
 
SoupNazi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: In the South
Country: Argentina
Posts: 20,760
vCash: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolph Lundgren View Post
Prospect depth at winger is pretty good ATM, center (especially prospective #1 C) is the most pressing need IMO.
Totally agreed. We need centers (top six) more than we need wingers at this time.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 01:43 PM
  #4
InjuredChoker
Registered User
 
InjuredChoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: LTIR or golf course
Posts: 29,821
vCash: 925
B. P. A.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 01:53 PM
  #5
France Nielsen
sacre bleu
 
France Nielsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 11,541
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolph Lundgren View Post
Prospect depth at winger is pretty good ATM, center (especially prospective #1 C) is the most pressing need IMO.
Agreed. The Wings need a guy who projects to be a scoring line offensive center. Between Helm/Andersson/Sheahan, the Wings are completely set on defensive/complementary centers.

The situation at the wing is really quite solid:

RW: Nyquist, Jurco, Pulkkinen, Frk, Callahan as a long shot
LW: Tatar, Ferraro (for depth reasons he'll be a winger), Athanasiou, Tvrdon, maybe Quine

Consider that several of those guys can switch over to their opposite side (Nyquist has NHL experience on both RW and LW) and also that one of Andersson/Sheahan will likely have to spend time at the wing. That's a lot of depth in the end.

However, that said, LW is a little bit weaker and I wouldn't hate picking up one more solid natural LW. All three of Athanasiou, Tvrdon, and Quine seem like long shots at this point.

France Nielsen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 02:01 PM
  #6
DatsyukToZetterberg
Alligator!
 
DatsyukToZetterberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Newfoundland
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,659
vCash: 500
You draft BPA, I'd rather take a Center if we could but most centers with any kind of upside are taking early on. My wishlist right now is Hagg, Morissey, Lazar or Hartman, Domi if he falls is someone I'd also like to get.

Hartman while a winger has played at center for a few games.

DatsyukToZetterberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 02:03 PM
  #7
Redwingsfan
Global Moderator
 
Redwingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: Norway
Posts: 20,277
vCash: 777
Awards:
Send a message via MSN to Redwingsfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by InjuredChoker View Post
B. P. A.
Definitely this.. Propsects take years to develop, and by the time he's ready to contribute, your team needs could be completely different. I dont care what position he is, I want the Wings to pick the best players available in the first two rounds, after that you can get creative and look at other things.

Redwingsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 02:11 PM
  #8
Octopus
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 248
vCash: 500
I would say that its highly unlikely you'll get a top six center where the Wings will be drafting...Horvat may be available but he's not a a Dats or Replacement
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru Meditation View Post
Agreed. The Wings need a guy who projects to be a scoring line offensive center. Between Helm/Andersson/Sheahan, the Wings are completely set on defensive/complementary centers.

The situation at the wing is really quite solid:

RW: Nyquist, Jurco, Pulkkinen, Frk, Callahan as a long shot
LW: Tatar, Ferraro (for depth reasons he'll be a winger), Athanasiou, Tvrdon, maybe Quine

Consider that several of those guys can switch over to their opposite side (Nyquist has NHL experience on both RW and LW) and also that one of Andersson/Sheahan will likely have to spend time at the wing. That's a lot of depth in the end.

However, that said, LW is a little bit weaker and I wouldn't hate picking up one more solid natural LW. All three of Athanasiou, Tvrdon, and Quine seem like long shots at this point.

Octopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 02:18 PM
  #9
icKx
Vanek 4 Prez
 
icKx's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Intertubes
Country: United States
Posts: 3,460
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwingsfan View Post
Definitely this.. Propsects take years to develop, and by the time he's ready to contribute, your team needs could be completely different. I dont care what position he is, I want the Wings to pick the best players available in the first two rounds, after that you can get creative and look at other things.
Could you please lay out a scenario aside from landing Malkin in free agency (pfffft, yeah right) in which #1 C is not this organization's biggest need moving forward?

Datsyuk is leaving. If not next year then 2016 at the latest. Zetterberg is aging and his body has a lot of mileage on it. Jarnkrok is, at this point, a long shot.

The BPA philosophy is for miserable teams with nothing to build around (Jackets, Flames, formerly the Oilers) or teams with a barren farm system (Sharks).

icKx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 02:43 PM
  #10
TatarTangle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Detroit
Country: United States
Posts: 3,243
vCash: 500
I think they need to take the best player available regardless of position. There's only a couple prospects that can play, the others are more or less fodder

TatarTangle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 02:50 PM
  #11
Redwingsfan
Global Moderator
 
Redwingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: Norway
Posts: 20,277
vCash: 777
Awards:
Send a message via MSN to Redwingsfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by icKx View Post
Could you please lay out a scenario aside from landing Malkin in free agency (pfffft, yeah right) in which #1 C is not this organization's biggest need moving forward?

Datsyuk is leaving. If not next year then 2016 at the latest. Zetterberg is aging and his body has a lot of mileage on it. Jarnkrok is, at this point, a long shot.

The BPA philosophy is for miserable teams with nothing to build around (Jackets, Flames, formerly the Oilers) or teams with a barren farm system (Sharks).
I could, but it would mean absolutely nothing as anything I'd say would be highly unlikely to ever happen.

A #1 C is obviously something we'll need soon enough, but passing on better prospects with the 20th(ish) pick to pick a center is not how I think you'll find one. Besides, I think Järnkrok is a much better bet to become a #1 C than anyone we'd take with that pick. Especially if it means passing on better prospect to pick a C because we need one.

Who do you feel we can realistically get with that pick that has #1 C potential on a playoff team?

Redwingsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 03:06 PM
  #12
Henkka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Tampere, Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 13,141
vCash: 500
I think we'll draft higher than at playoff team spot.

Barkov is the ultimate best fit for us.

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 03:34 PM
  #13
Pizzarena
Outta Waiver Stuff
 
Pizzarena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Dan's House
Country: Norway
Posts: 983
vCash: 500
1. Trade Flip for a first

2. Package that with dets first for a top 12 puck at the draft

3. Profit

Pizzarena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 03:38 PM
  #14
InjuredChoker
Registered User
 
InjuredChoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: LTIR or golf course
Posts: 29,821
vCash: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
I think we'll draft higher than at playoff team spot.

Barkov is the ultimate best fit for us.
I don't see us getting Barkov.

If we miss the playoffs, I don't see us falling off the cliff that bad that the pick would be in 3-5 range.

If we win the lottery, it's Seth Jones. I'm 99% sure of that.

Ok, 95%.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 03:48 PM
  #15
last_sd
Registered User
 
last_sd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,434
vCash: 500
Always BPA for NHL draft. This isn't like NFL where you draft 20+ year olds and 1st and 2nd rounders make the team better immediately.

Picking the BPA and hope they grow into their potential is what I would do.

last_sd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 03:53 PM
  #16
The Zetterberg Era
Moderator
RIP Octopi
 
The Zetterberg Era's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ft. Myers, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 27,722
vCash: 500
This is assuming we have a first round pick, starting to grow more concerned with the JayBo rumors swirling that we will not.

You should always take BPA in the first. Center is also a bigger need than winger at the moment in the system.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 04:02 PM
  #17
Nightmare on Helm St
Registered User
 
Nightmare on Helm St's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 1,051
vCash: 500
My dream scenario is we draft Monahan somehow, but that won't happen. I'm of the mind we need more top 6 center prospects, but I won't be disappointed if we go with a guy like De la Rose.

I'd love a Russian pick in the middle of the draft too...

Nightmare on Helm St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 04:07 PM
  #18
Xvash2
Registered User
 
Xvash2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,094
vCash: 500
Rumor has it Columbus is buying at the trade deadline and is willing to move a first, could we offload Filppula or Franzen for a pick or few?

Xvash2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 04:23 PM
  #19
Octopus
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 248
vCash: 500
Getting an Extra Pick from Columbus would be great and then flip them both for a higher pick would be even better and get Barkov or Monahan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xvash2 View Post
Rumor has it Columbus is buying at the trade deadline and is willing to move a first, could we offload Filppula or Franzen for a pick or few?

Octopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 04:49 PM
  #20
detredWINgs
Registered User
 
detredWINgs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 17,966
vCash: 500
If there were ever a year to trade up in the draft, it would be this year. Its a deep draft, and we'll probably be incorporating prospects into the lineup sooner in the coming years than we have in the past 10-15 years. Would be nice to land a guy who can't be kept out of the NHL at 20/21.

detredWINgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 04:54 PM
  #21
Cyborg Yzerberg
Sitting on a Cloud
 
Cyborg Yzerberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Nowhere Land
Country: Seychelles
Posts: 8,713
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo7200 View Post
My dream scenario is we draft Monahan somehow, but that won't happen. I'm of the mind we need more top 6 center prospects, but I won't be disappointed if we go with a guy like De la Rose.

I'd love a Russian pick in the middle of the draft too...
ditto.

Cyborg Yzerberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 05:06 PM
  #22
France Nielsen
sacre bleu
 
France Nielsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 11,541
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus View Post
Getting an Extra Pick from Columbus would be great and then flip them both for a higher pick would be even better and get Barkov or Monahan
I'm not sure those two teams would deal with each other. They're both roughly in the playoff picture in the West and then will likely be competing in the East next season.

France Nielsen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 10:11 PM
  #23
XO
Registered User
 
XO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Country: Sweden
Posts: 5,282
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
I think we'll draft higher than at playoff team spot.

Barkov is the ultimate best fit for us.
I would cry tears of joy for one month straight if we managed to get Barkov even though we went to the playoffs.

XO is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:01 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2017 All Rights Reserved.