HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Brunner

Old
02-09-2013, 07:08 AM
waltdetroit

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by torero View Post
Guys !

I know, you will think : "another Euro boasting about his player" ... and you may be right.

Yet i still say it :

Brunner, 10 first games with 7 points and a non counting game winning SO ... respect

Not bad at all for a guy who never scratched NHL ice.

Damiano de Bergerac will strike again ! (I like this nickname)
Hi Torero..my niece played hockey for DHC Langenthal so I have a special hope that brunner does well

waltdetroit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 08:48 AM
CloneHakanPlease*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeersHockey View Post
Hopefully it is the same reason that Datsyuk was a 23 year old rookie. The Gods smile upon JLA.
Been totally happy about Brunner and he has far exceeded my expectations but if he pots, say 18 goals and 35ish points this season how much do you think we will have to resign him for? Anything over 3 is sketchy for me

CloneHakanPlease* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 09:46 AM
Chevrier

As long as Brunner doesn't pull a Leino, I'm all for re-signing him for the next season. I wouldn't expect too much of a surge in points, maybe even a lull, but he's shown to be a good fit-- good shoot first player. I would love to see him play a full 82 game season before trying to assess his value. Would be ecstatic to see him sign for mid 2 mils on short term, then if he continues to produce consistently get his pay day. Even so, that may or may not even happen, still quite early.

Chevrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 12:15 PM
Tomas W

Brunner got a nose for the net, he can smell a scoring opportunity coming up.

Tomas W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 12:23 PM
DatsyukToZetterberg
Alligator!

vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZBAKE View Post
Been totally happy about Brunner and he has far exceeded my expectations but if he pots, say 18 goals and 35ish points this season how much do you think we will have to resign him for? Anything over 3 is sketchy for me
I think 2 years at 2.5M per would be the best option. Gives him some security and if he does indeed become a 55-70 point guy he'll be able to cash in afterwards. I wouldn't want to give him anything over a 2 year deal but it wouldn't surprise me to see him get 4 years at around 3.5M per.

DatsyukToZetterberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 03:13 PM
LastWordArmy
HFB Partner

He is doing some good things on the PP right now.

LastWordArmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 07:29 PM
Mantha Poodoo
The Wheeled Winger

He's obviously got some areas where he could use some polish, but he's looked great for a guy who just moved to NA ice with no prior experience. Quite frankly, I'm okay with him being a little weak on the defensive side of the game as long as he's a sniper. Besides, it's not like he's playing next to a center that needs defensive help from his wingers. 2-way forwards isn't exactly something this team is hurting for; I say let him scoot into the zone and let 'er rip.

An important part, though, is that he seems to be the sort of player that works hard to learn the game and correct his weaknesses. He's very rapidly adapting to the scoring zones and responsibilities of NHL ice. And it can't be said enough that he's a good righty shot that likes to put the puck on net; this team has needed him for a while.

Mantha Poodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 08:30 PM
sully61
Unregistered User

One thing I'd like to see him do more is read the play and if he sees we are about to get possession, break out into the neutral zone for a breakaway, sort of like what St. Louis did to us the first game like 50 times. He has the speed and quickness for that.

sully61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 09:20 PM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukToZetterberg View Post
I think 2 years at 2.5M per would be the best option. Gives him some security and if he does indeed become a 55-70 point guy he'll be able to cash in afterwards. I wouldn't want to give him anything over a 2 year deal but it wouldn't surprise me to see him get 4 years at around 3.5M per.
I'd like to see the trigger pulled on something like 3 years, $2.2M AAV. He gets a fair term for someone who's just proven himself in half a season, we get a little $ saving compared to what his market value will likely be if he scores something like 15 goals and 35 points.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 02:33 PM
torero

After this amazing finish against the Kings i realized that Brunner just became the best scorer of the team with 6 goals in 12 games.

Impressive

torero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 02:52 PM
Frk It
#Snipequist

He needs to get a little stronger on the puck for when we have it set up in the zone at even strength, but he is the best player on the team to have riding shotgun with you 2 v 1 or any odd-man situation. He can beat goalies clean with his shot. Not many guys on this team do that very often.

Frk It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 03:01 PM
JPE123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas W View Post
Brunner got a nose for the net, he can smell a scoring opportunity coming up.

That's funny, I too have a big schnoz and I've heard all these back when I was playing

JPE123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 03:09 PM
NicoSB

Since I am not following the Wings too much, I ask myself how Brunner would be performing without playing in the first line. I guess one or two goals of his were a bit lucky and easy going but then again he had the at least two sniping goals like today.

NicoSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 03:12 PM
Bench
Realgud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPE123 View Post
That's funny, I too have a big schnoz and I've heard all these back when I was playing
Hey now. Let's not get bent out of shape.

But seriously, loving this guy so far. He's doing great.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 03:15 PM
Brick Top
I love goooold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoSB View Post
Since I am not following the Wings too much, I ask myself how Brunner would be performing without playing in the first line. I guess one or two goals of his were a bit lucky and easy going but then again he had the at least two sniping goals like today.
Don't think his game is suited to a bottom 6 role, so I'm sure he wouldn't be too effective there. Sure, he benefits from playing with a guy like Zetterberg, but he is willing to pull the trigger any time he has an opening, which is a welcome sight on a team full of pass-first and then pass-second guys. And he can also finish those chances with legit snipes. Just need to get him off the point on the PP and let him play down low, and he'll get even more points .

Brick Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 03:20 PM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoSB View Post
Two of his goals were padding goals at the end of games, but goalscorers score no matter what. He could've had a few more as he's been robbed a couple of times. He's very good at sneaking behind his defender for a deflection or chance in close range. He can keep working at one-timers from the Stamkos position though, still waiting for one from there. Atm he's shooting at a fairly sustainable 14.3 S%, really just needs to keep shooting and goals will follow.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 03:26 PM
torero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frk It View Post
He needs to get a little stronger on the puck for when we have it set up in the zone at even strength, but he is the best player on the team to have riding shotgun with you 2 v 1 or any odd-man situation. He can beat goalies clean with his shot. Not many guys on this team do that very often.
Definitely ... in today's game vs the LAK, he got pushed away a couple of times like a piece of paper blown away by the wind.

torero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 03:40 PM
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman

He's learning the game. He's getting into the dirty areas, as well. I forget whether it was a backcheck or a takeaway, but I was impressed nonetheless and was moreso when I realized it was Brunner on that play. If he gets stronger and keeps improving his defensive game, he'll look like an absolute steal for the Wings. I need to apologize to management. I was furious that they didn't go after a forward like Semin and to a lesser extent Parise. I realize now why. Brunner is that good. He WAS that forward signing we needed.

JmanWingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 04:05 PM
Henkka

vCash: 528
Damien Brunner game-by-game:

1. @STL, 0+0=0p, 3 shots, +0
2. @CBJ, 0+0=0p, 6 shots, -1 (Shootout winning goal)
3. v.DAL, 1+0=1p, 6 shots, +1
4. v.MIN, 1+0=1p, 3 shots, -1
5. @CHI, 0+1=1p, 4 shots, +0
6. v.DAL, 1+0=1p, 3 shots, +1
7. v.STL, 0+1=1p, 2 shots, +2
8. @CBJ, 1+0=1p, 2 shots, -1
9. v.CGY, 0+0=0p, 3 shots, +0
10. @STL, 1+0=1p, 2 shots, +1
11. v.EDM, 0+1=1p, 5 shots, +0
12. v.LAK, 1+0=1p, 3 shots, +1

12 games, 6+3=9 points, 42 shots (3.5 shots per game), +3, 14.3% shooting percentage.

He has only 1+2 on the power-play, 5+1=6 are made at even strength.

He has played played only 3 games without a point. Very very consistent scoring. Shooting all the time. No multi-point games, but I'll take that consistent scoring any day before that.

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 04:20 PM
ChadS

He should have had 2 assists yesterday because Z never touched the puck on the Kronwall goal.

Nice goal tonight, his wrister is really good.

ChadS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 11:22 PM
Mickey Redmond

He's the next big thing, seriously. He now has twice as many goals as Nash,

Mickey Redmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 01:23 AM
Billy The Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadS View Post
He should have had 2 assists yesterday because Z never touched the puck on the Kronwall goal.
Ya I noticed that as well, and figured they would of changed that by now.

Billy The Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 08:35 AM
Bico
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey Redmond View Post
He's the next big thing, seriously. He now has twice as many goals as Nash,
Hello of Switzerland.
Our championship is of another level than your.
Brunner was our enemy in Switzerland. We called it " the machine ".
He has a nasty temper which is going to allow him to give way in NHL. There he is again a little bit light, but you can rely on him. If it does not injure itself, it is going to make some good work.
Thank you for having cleared us of it... In the Swiss championship it is an extraterrestrial... Better than most of the foreign reinforcements which come for many North America...
Sorry for my English me speak French...
: Yo:

Bico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:00 AM
newfy

For everyone making noise about Hudler, lets just think about how Hudler played when he first came back from Europe and had to adjust. That was with already knowing the wings system and playing a bunch of years with the wings and in the system.

Brunner is doing much better and is seemingly getting better every game. If he isnt already better than Hudler hes pretty much on par with him. Offensively theyre close I would say but Brunner is a much better skater and stronger on the boards

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:39 AM
YARR123

I had a really good feeling about this guy after watching him in the world championships last spring, he had the swagger to his game you usually get from top-6 NHLers. Can't believe how fast he has been able to produce at the NHL level though. I was expecting some growing pains but he's been awesome and will only get better.

Seriously how often can you sign a 26-year-old undrafted free agent from Europe that can jump straight to the top line and produce? It's pretty sick.

YARR123 is offline   Reply With Quote