HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Jan 21/13: HOME OPENER Buffalo Sabres @ Toronto Maple Leafs | Sportsnet-O 7PM

Closed Thread

Old
01-21-2013, 01:55 PM
bunjay

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark4Ever View Post
I don't want to second guess Carlyle because I like most of the lineup decisions he's made thus far.

But...Gardiner, Franson, and Komisarek sitting in favor of Kostka, Holzer, and Fraser seems very odd on the surface.
If Gardiner isn't playing it's because he's not ready, not because he's sitting in favour of one of those three guys.

Old
01-21-2013, 02:01 PM
mapes

Wish we'd switch Bozak and Kadri (though I understand not switching Bozak after other night) and Cmac with JVR

Old
01-21-2013, 02:03 PM
12345*

Quote:
I don't want to second guess Carlyle because I like most of the lineup decisions he's made thus far.

But...Gardiner, Franson, and Komisarek sitting in favor of Kostka, Holzer, and Fraser seems very odd on the surface.
You need to open your eyes and think. Gardiner has been out more than a month. He sustained a concussion. He isn't coming back until he is 100% recovered from his injury and at peak condition. One month leads to a ton of deconditioning. We have plenty of defencemen that are capable - there is no need to risk further injury to Gardiner. Nor will he be able to outperform guys who are conditioned from weeks and months of training.

Additionally, with the game frequency and intensity expected from the players from Carlyle, we will need to understand each defender's ability to play at this level because ultimately, they will all be needed. Injuries and fatigue WILL play a roll and everyone will get their turn. The key is understanding which players are NHL defencemen, and which defencemen can play in which situation.

Old
01-21-2013, 02:03 PM
The Viper
Legolas

vCash: 90
Kulemin - Grabovski - JVR

that would be a sick line

Old
01-21-2013, 02:06 PM
mapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Viper View Post

Yup, maybe they are playing Cmac to possibly deal him. Not sure we really need him with having both JVR and Kadri who can play there

Old
01-21-2013, 02:07 PM
12345*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
Wish we'd switch Bozak and Kadri (though I understand not switching Bozak after other night) and Cmac with JVR
Bozak switch to Kadri - No. Bozak is used to playing against top shutdown lines, top defenders, and has chemistry with Kessel and Lupul. Kadri needs shelthered minutes, which he will get on the third line.

JVR with CMac - No. JVR looks slow and not in good physical condition. He won't be able to keep up with Grabo. Furthermore, Kadri's line needs a strong cycling forward to complement Kadri's slot play and Komarov's net presence.

Old
01-21-2013, 02:09 PM
12345*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Viper View Post

When JVR decides to get some motivation, he can acquire top 6 minutes. He is not even close to deserving it at this time.

Old
01-21-2013, 02:10 PM
lampshade*

Holy over reaction batman. All you tin foil hats need to settle down. Randy C didn't just put names into a hat and draw names. Believe it or not he has a reason for these choices. It could be because the amount of games in such a short time or something else. Just settle down and understand that Randy C has a better idea how to coach a NHL team then you do.

Old
01-21-2013, 02:11 PM
12345*

Quote:
Yup, maybe they are playing Cmac to possibly deal him. Not sure we really need him with having both JVR and Kadri who can play there
Kadri is not playing wing. When JVR outperforms CMac, they can swap.

Old
01-21-2013, 02:12 PM
mapes

Kadri can't always play sheltered minutes. He's done it every time he's up here. I'd love to see what he can do with real line mates.

JVR is part of our future, Cmac is not. Much more potential. But I think if Kadri wasn't up here, JVR would be on Grabos line.

Old
01-21-2013, 02:14 PM
mapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12345 View Post
Kadri is not playing wing. When JVR outperforms CMac, they can swap.
My point is he CAN. He plays LW and center, though I do like him as center more

Old
01-21-2013, 02:16 PM
Mr Scarface*

Scrivens getting the start: A mistake

Homegame and he can't handle the pressure even on the road.

Interested to see what happens. Scrivens couldn't keep it calm and collective in montreal. Now we play in Toronto.

Old
01-21-2013, 02:16 PM
TML g u n n e R s*
EDC 2013

Send a message via MSN to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Yahoo to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Skype™ to TML g u n n e R s*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoner View Post

Interested to see what happens. Scrivens couldn't keep it calm and collective in montreal. Now we play in Toronto.

WTF IS THIS??

Old
01-21-2013, 02:19 PM
Mr Scarface*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TML g u n n e R s View Post

WTF IS THIS??
I know.

Noticed: Couldn't handle the pressure.

A win was a good thing.

Now in Toronto: Even bigger pressure and home fans screaming

The result of all this: Remains to be seen.

Old
01-21-2013, 02:23 PM
lampshade*

Quote:
I know.

Noticed: Couldn't handle the pressure.

A win was a good thing.

Now in Toronto: Even bigger pressure and home fans screaming

The result of all this: Remains to be seen.
.955 sa% and 1 goal against. Definetly couldn't handle the pressure, I'm as surprised as you as to why he wasn't pulled.

Old
01-21-2013, 02:23 PM
blueNwhite89

Quote:

You're acting as if we have a better option. At least Scrivens is in mid-season form. Reimer is a total question mark at this point. Shaky or not, Scrivens got us the W in MTL, so he gets the start here.

Old
01-21-2013, 02:24 PM
mapes

Quote:

He gave up one goal. If we switched, what message would it send?

Old
01-21-2013, 02:25 PM
mapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by lampshade View Post
.955 sa% and 1 goal against. Definetly couldn't handle the pressure, I'm as surprised as you as to why he wasn't pulled.
I lol'd hard.

Old
01-21-2013, 02:25 PM
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire

Quote:

Lol...yup, 1 goal against...955% and a win. Looked like he handled himself just fine.

Old
01-21-2013, 02:28 PM
Fear The Phil

Quote:
Kadri can't always play sheltered minutes. He's done it every time he's up here. I'd love to see what he can do with real line mates.

JVR is part of our future, Cmac is not. Much more potential. But I think if Kadri wasn't up here, JVR would be on Grabos line.
Leave the lines. We need to have Kadri roll with two guys that can do the dirty work - plus we have 3 solid scoring lines

Old
01-21-2013, 02:28 PM
Clark4Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunjay View Post
If Gardiner isn't playing it's because he's not ready, not because he's sitting in favour of one of those three guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12345 View Post
You need to open your eyes and think. Gardiner has been out more than a month. He sustained a concussion. He isn't coming back until he is 100% recovered from his injury and at peak condition. One month leads to a ton of deconditioning. We have plenty of defencemen that are capable - there is no need to risk further injury to Gardiner. Nor will he be able to outperform guys who are conditioned from weeks and months of training.

Additionally, with the game frequency and intensity expected from the players from Carlyle, we will need to understand each defender's ability to play at this level because ultimately, they will all be needed. Injuries and fatigue WILL play a roll and everyone will get their turn. The key is understanding which players are NHL defencemen, and which defencemen can play in which situation.
Gardiner proclaimed himself being 100% ready to go, that's why I mentioned him. Gardiner also played regularly during the lockout prior to his injury so his conditioning should be fine. With all due respect to Kostka, who played admirably in his NHL debut, Gards should be in the lineup if he is in fact ready.

As for the decision to sit Franson and Komi, it's the second game of the season. It's far too early to worry about fatigue, and I thought they both played very well in Montreal. Why sit them both in favor of Holzer and Fraser if it's not absolutely necessary yet? Especially in Franson's case, what does the guy have to do to play two freaking games in a row in this town?

In any case, I obviously respect Carlyle's coaching pedigree and I have total confidence in his ability to gauge the roster. As I said, it just seems odd on the surface.

Old
01-21-2013, 02:29 PM
Mr Scarface*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
Lol...yup, 1 goal against...955% and a win. Looked like he handled himself just fine.
Stats are stats and win is a win. Of course. It's a good thing.

A seen game is a seen game. I saw it. He (Scrivens) played pretty awful game even on the road. Just wait and SEE what happens tonight in front of every fan.

I still emphasize this: A game is to be seen. Stats are numbers, they fail.

Old
01-21-2013, 02:30 PM
OptimusForever
#teambernier

vCash: 50
Is gardiner in tonight?

Old
01-21-2013, 02:32 PM
bunjay

Quote:
Gardiner proclaimed himself being 100% ready to go, that's why I mentioned him. Gardiner also played regularly during the lockout prior to his injury so his conditioning should be fine. With all due respect to Kostka, who played admirably in his NHL debut, Gards should be in the lineup if he is in fact ready.

As for the decision to sit Franson and Komi, it's the second game of the season. It's far too early to worry about fatigue, and I thought they both played very well in Montreal. Why sit them both in favor of Holzer and Fraser if it's not absolutely necessary yet? Especially in Franson's case, what does the guy have to do to play two freaking games in a row in this town?

In any case, I obviously respect Carlyle's coaching pedigree and I have total confidence in his ability to gauge the roster. As I said, it just seems odd on the surface.
Whether he's ready is not Gardiner's decision. He hasn't even participated in a contact practice.

Old
01-21-2013, 02:32 PM
Fear The Phil

Quote:
Stats are stats and win is a win. Of course. It's a good thing.

A seen game is seen game. I saw it. He (Scrivens) played pretty awful game even on the road. Just wait and SEE what happens tonight in front of every fan.

I still emphasize this: A game is to be seen. Stats are numbers, they fail.
As long as our team defence is solid and we keep the opposition wide when shooting I can live with okay goaltending. Again it was only a single game, but to say Scivens played awful is just way too early, it played average.

Closed Thread