HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jan 21/13: HOME OPENER Buffalo Sabres @ Toronto Maple Leafs | Sportsnet-O 7PM

Closed Thread

Old
01-21-2013, 02:34 PM
Fear The Phil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusForever View Post
Is gardiner in tonight?
From what I heard there may be a chance that he plays on Wednesday. Hence playing Fraser and Holzer tonight, since upon Gardiners return we have to waive one of them.

Old
01-21-2013, 02:34 PM
King Mapes
HF's King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoner View Post
Stats are stats and win is a win. Of course. It's a good thing.

A seen game is a seen game. I saw it. He (Scrivens) played pretty awful game even on the road. Just wait and SEE what happens tonight in front of every fan.

I still emphasize this: A game is to be seen. Stats are numbers, they fail.
Awful is extremely exaggerated. 1 goal on 21 shots or whatever isn't awful. Shaky? Sure. Awful? Far from it.

If he gives up 1 goal maybe he has confidence so roll with him. If you switch, it sends a bad message

Old
01-21-2013, 02:35 PM
Fear The Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
Awful is extremely exaggerated. 1 goal on 21 shots or whatever isn't awful. Shaky? Sure. Awful? Far from it.

If he gives up 1 goal maybe he has confidence so roll with him. If you switch, it sends a bad message
+1

Old
01-21-2013, 02:36 PM
King Mapes
HF's King

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunjay View Post
Whether he's ready is not Gardiner's decision. He hasn't even participated in a contact practice.
Yup, players have said they are ready before and it ended up worse. You need to make sure

Old
Clark4Ever

Quote:
Whether he's ready is not Gardiner's decision. He hasn't even participated in a contact practice.
I believe he has been taking part in regular practices for a few days now. It's obviously not his decision as to whether he should start, but for whatever it's worth, he stated that he's ready to go.

Old
lampshade*

Quote:

A seen game is a seen game. I saw it. He (Scrivens) played pretty awful game even on the road. Just wait and SEE what happens tonight in front of every fan.

What we will see is Reimer working on his leather ass, with a stupid grin. He will have a great career as a backup.

Old
01-21-2013, 02:37 PM
Mr Scarface*

Quote:

Shaky to me is awful.

Also a switch sends a fantastic message if it has been already determined who plays saturday and who gets the start monday. Often these decisions are made early on, a week before these games even begin. So it isn't a message at all. Just a decision made during christmas.

Old
01-21-2013, 02:37 PM
JoeParez
Respect This Man

Quote:

Why is there always a person who has to play 'Debbie Downer'?

"Oh just wait and see.." along with a negative statement.

I'm not sure if you know - but Scrivens has played in Toronto for the past year.
He even played playoff games and championship games, IN TORONTO.

He'll be fine.

Have some faith for once.

Old
01-21-2013, 02:40 PM
bunjay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark4Ever View Post
I believe he has been taking part in regular practices for a few days now. It's obviously not his decision as to whether he should start, but for whatever it's worth, he stated that he's ready to go.
Quote:
Gardiner, who also participated in some limited drills on the final day of training camp Friday, said after Mondayís skate that heís ready to participate in full-contact drills but that he still must get clearance from the team to do so.
http://www.torontosun.com/2013/01/21...eady-to-return

Old
01-21-2013, 02:42 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:

Lol.

Old
01-21-2013, 02:43 PM
Mr Scarface*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeParez View Post
Why is there always a person who has to play 'Debbie Downer'?

"Oh just wait and see.." along with a negative statement.

I'm not sure if you know - but Scrivens has played in Toronto for the past year.
He even played playoff games and championship games, IN TORONTO.

He'll be fine.

Have some faith for once.
Oh no no. He has not played a playoff game with the Leafs. Ever.

Also he hasn't started a short important season in front of the great home fans.

There will be huge pressure and many other factors.

On the road it's easier to start, so I liked carlyle's decision to give scrivens the start there.

This tonight is a mistake.

Old
01-21-2013, 02:46 PM
Clark4Ever

Quote:
Thanks for the update.

From the article...

Quote:
ďI told them Iím pretty much ready to go, so itís just a coachesí decision,Ē Gardiner said. ďItís tough sitting here, but weíre being pretty cautious. Hopefully I have a long career ahead so I donít want to risk it too soon. I feel good now so Iím ready to go.Ē

The 22-year-old Minnesotan had an impressive rookie year for the Leafs last season, making the team out of camp while recording seven goals and 30 points in 75 games. That strong play carried over to the Marlies this season, where he was the teamís highest-scoring defenceman with nine goals and 17 points before being injured.

The earliest Gardiner could be in the lineup would be Wednesday night in Pittsburgh against the Penguins, though it might make more sense to hold him out for one more game and have him start the season at home against the New York Islanders on Thursday night.
So realistically, it looks like Gards should return on Thursday.

Old
01-21-2013, 02:46 PM
JoeParez
Respect This Man

Quote:

Also he hasn't started a short important season in front of the great home fans.

On the road it's easier to start, so I liked carlyle's decision to give scrivens the start there.

Okay, so who starts then? Jams Riemer? Who hasn't started a game in almost a year?

Old
01-21-2013, 02:47 PM
Liferleafer
Bring on Stome-afin!

Quote:

Just so you are aware, i was at the game.(as i will be tonight) Perhaps you could enlighten us as to what you "saw" that was bad. Other than his puck handling, he was solid. Good poaitional play, worked the angles well.

Old
01-21-2013, 02:48 PM
Phion Keneuf
Bang Bang

Scrivens is scary in net (glove hand and puck handling) but he got the job done and deserves another shot today.

I don't really care how he plays, as long as we keep on putting up the W's

Old
01-21-2013, 02:49 PM
Liferleafer
Bring on Stome-afin!

Quote:

I'm going to copy this mistake comment. If Scrivens wins tonight, i'll repost.

Old
01-21-2013, 02:50 PM
Mr Scarface*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
Just so you are aware, i was at the game.(as i will be tonight) Perhaps you could enlighten us as to what you "saw" that was bad. Other than his puck handling, he was solid. Good poaitional play, worked the angles well.
Last time it was a television game for me. Slow motions etc.

A shaky game. Meaning awful. Bad movement in the first period. Some very bad puck handlings and mistakes here and there. Didn't read the game well at times. Also his skating was "forced", it was like he was thinking what others think. Weird.

Old
01-21-2013, 02:51 PM
mix1home

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickelbackMontage View Post
Scrivens really does need to simplify things behind the net. Seemed more like nerves than anything else last game, though.
He did these things on Marlies too. He often jams the board with the pad to stop the puck, but occasionally bounces back from it and falls. I think he needs to use his stick more to do it.

But then again, he will never be able to handle the puck if he is not practicing it (including game situations).

Old
01-21-2013, 02:52 PM
topched

Quote:
Neither has Reimer

Quote:
Neither has Reimer

Quote:

"Many other factors"? Very detailed and astute argument. What other factors could that be? Like Carleton the bear staring down at him from behind the net? A cold draft at the ACC? The distraction from the smell of tube steaks from the establishment formerly known as Burkie's Dog House?

Quote:

I don't think anyone in the NHL would agree with you on that. Look at home-road splits for most teams each season for evidence.

You've got fans cheering for you as opposed to booing you, you've got corners, and glass and dasher boards that you are familiar with, reference points for angles etc. It really isn't "easier" to start on the road at all.

Old
01-21-2013, 02:52 PM
Phion Keneuf
Bang Bang

Both teams look fairly equal, although buffalo has the advantage in net.

Old
01-21-2013, 02:56 PM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

lol just heard Phaneuf's pre-game interview, wow, what a bonehead

he belongs on Trailer Park Boys, it feels like he's going to drop some Rickyisms soon

Old
01-21-2013, 02:56 PM
Leafidelity
40/30 grit grinder

vCash: 1775
Quote:
You think it's easier to start in Montreal?

Old
01-21-2013, 02:57 PM
mix1home

Quote:
Wish we'd switch Bozak and Kadri (though I understand not switching Bozak after other night) and Cmac with JVR
I would rather switch JVR with Kulemin to create powered 2nd line.
And I dont see Kadri on the 1st line for this season. He is in perfect position on 3rd line to learn C responsibilities at NHL level (and take some lessons from Steckel on draws), all while toughest match-ups are on Grabo line. Grabo line is pretty much used as checking line now.

Old
Mr Scarface*

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
Quote:
Neither has Reimer

Quote:
Neither has Reimer
Reimer doesn't has to play in the playoffs. He has more experience and laughs with the home media and fans though than Scrivens. Reimer has shown he can play at home and now it's the shortened important season so it would have been a fine choice for him to start this game. You'll see and learn.

Quote:
"Many other factors"? Very detailed and astute argument. What other factors could that be? Like Carleton the bear staring down at him from behind the net? A cold draft at the ACC? The distraction from the smell of tube steaks from the establishment formerly known as Burkie's Dog House?
Biggest one is the thinking process. The whole home media is out there, so are the fans. That fan nation makes some goalies crumble under that pressure. It has happened and will happen again.

I don't think anyone in the NHL would agree with you on that. Look at home-road splits for most teams each season for evidence.

You've got fans cheering for you as opposed to booing you, you've got corners, and glass and dasher boards that you are familiar with, reference points for angles etc. It really isn't "easier" to start on the road at all.
Everybody who has played the game knows that it's much more easier to start on the road. You don't have to think anything else but the game itself.

Old
Donmega

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Stallone View Post
Every game is on Gamecenter Live
I said pregame ceremony, and last night all games skipped the home opener ceremonies on gamecenter

Closed Thread