HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jan 21/13: HOME OPENER Buffalo Sabres @ Toronto Maple Leafs | Sportsnet-O 7PM

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-21-2013, 02:59 PM
  #201
Mr Scarface*
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Earth
Posts: 14,906
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPunch View Post
You think it's easier to start in Montreal?
Of course.

Like I stated above, everybody who has played the game knows that it's much more easier to start on the road. You can just think about the game and nothing else. Just enjoy the game.

Mr Scarface* is offline  
Old
01-21-2013, 03:03 PM
  #202
JoeParez
Respect This Man
 
JoeParez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 907
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoner View Post
Of course.

Like I stated above, everybody who has played the game knows that it's much more easier to start on the road. You can just think about the game and nothing else. Just enjoy the game.
So then home teams should never start their goaltenders?

JoeParez is offline  
Old
01-21-2013, 03:05 PM
  #203
TheBigThree
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,129
vCash: 500
This game is going to be huge pressure on scrivens. He was rattled in Montreal, way more pressure on him tonight in Toronto. I hope he doesn't let in soft goals but either way I have low expectations.

TheBigThree is offline  
Old
01-21-2013, 03:08 PM
  #204
Jerkini
Registered User
 
Jerkini's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,316
vCash: 500
At least Scrivens didn't let in a goal that shouldn't have been a goal. If he was rattled and still accomplished that, i'm perfectly content rolling with him until he loses.

Jerkini is offline  
Old
01-21-2013, 03:08 PM
  #205
topched
Registered User
 
topched's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,680
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoner View Post
Everybody who has played the game knows that it's much more easier to start on the road. You don't have to think anything else but the game itself.
Last year's Vezina winner:
AWAY: 16-11-8 2.19gaa

HOME: 19 -10-5 1.71gaa


Last year's Jennings winner:
AWAY: 10-9-5 2.24gaa

HOME: 16-3-2 1.65gaa

Leafs Goalies Last Year:
AWAY: 3.34gaa
HOME: 2.98gaa


You are wrong.

topched is offline  
Old
01-21-2013, 03:09 PM
  #206
JoeParez
Respect This Man
 
JoeParez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 907
vCash: 500
Still not understanding what "pressure" is on Scrivens tonight.
I am really baffled.

JoeParez is offline  
Old
01-21-2013, 03:11 PM
  #207
Tak7
Registered User
 
Tak7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: GTA or the UK
Posts: 8,545
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donmega View Post
This game is going to be huge pressure on scrivens. He was rattled in Montreal, way more pressure on him tonight in Toronto. I hope he doesn't let in soft goals but either way I have low expectations.
I didn't like Scriven's game in Montreal - thought he battled the puck all night and had some pretty poor rebound control; something that he's going to have to adjust too tonight with the big bodies the Sabres have crashing the net.

But I don't think he was rattled. If anything he was nervous, and of course he should have been. Bell Center, season opener, probably wasn't expecting the start, and a chance to make a big statement.

If he settles down early there's no reason why he can't have a better night tonight than he did against Montreal. A confidence boosting win under his belt does wonders to a goaltender.

Tak7 is offline  
Old
01-21-2013, 03:11 PM
  #208
Kamal007
FEEL LIKE PABLO
 
Kamal007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
Last year's Vezina winner:
AWAY: 16-11-8 2.19gaa

HOME: 19 -10-5 1.71gaa


Last year's Jennings winner:
AWAY: 10-9-5 2.24gaa

HOME: 16-3-2 1.65gaa

Leafs Goalies Last Year:
AWAY: 3.34gaa
HOME: 2.98gaa


You are wrong.
He specifically said "start on the road", not overall play.

Kamal007 is offline  
Old
01-21-2013, 03:12 PM
  #209
Penalty Kill Icing*
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,957
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
Last year's Vezina winner:
AWAY: 16-11-8 2.19gaa

HOME: 19 -10-5 1.71gaa


Last year's Jennings winner:
AWAY: 10-9-5 2.24gaa

HOME: 16-3-2 1.65gaa

Leafs Goalies Last Year:
AWAY: 3.34gaa
HOME: 2.98gaa


You are wrong.
He meant starting the season on road. Not about all road games. And I do see his point this time.

Penalty Kill Icing* is offline  
Old
01-21-2013, 03:13 PM
  #210
topched
Registered User
 
topched's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,680
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamal007 View Post
He specifically said "start on the road", not overall play.
Pretty sure he means "start in net" "on the road".

Suggesting it is easier for a goaltender to play a game in another building rather than his own.

What the hell would "starting" as in "starting the season" have to do with anything? It is what it is... Scrivens is already in game shape, has one under his belt.

Secondly, its proven, by those numbers that goaltenders fare better on their own ice than away from it. Am I supposed to believe that for some reason the 1st game at home or on the road should be a massive statistical outlier?

Please.

topched is offline  
Old
01-21-2013, 03:15 PM
  #211
lampshade*
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,301
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
Last year's Vezina winner:
AWAY: 16-11-8 2.19gaa

HOME: 19 -10-5 1.71gaa


Last year's Jennings winner:
AWAY: 10-9-5 2.24gaa

HOME: 16-3-2 1.65gaa

Leafs Goalies Last Year:
AWAY: 3.34gaa
HOME: 2.98gaa


You are wrong.
Stats don't mean anything when you "seen" the game. Everyone "who's played" knows this. You didn't see how Benny boy was forcing his skating last game?

lampshade* is offline  
Old
01-21-2013, 03:16 PM
  #212
Penalty Kill Icing*
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,957
vCash: 500
^ Went through previous page and looks like he indeed meant 'starting any game on road'.

In that case, is weird because teams usually have a better record at home (perhaps except the Toronto Maple Leafs)

Penalty Kill Icing* is offline  
Old
01-21-2013, 03:17 PM
  #213
Kamal007
FEEL LIKE PABLO
 
Kamal007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
Pretty sure he means "start in net" "on the road".

Suggesting it is easier for a goaltender to play a game in another building rather than his own.

What the hell would "starting" as in "starting the season" have to do with anything? It is what it is... Scrivens is already in game shape, has one under his belt.

Secondly, its proven, by those numbers that goaltenders fare better on their own ice than away from it. Am I supposed to believe that for some reason the 1st game at home or on the road should be a massive statistical outlier?

Please.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoner View Post
Oh no no. He has not played a playoff game with the Leafs. Ever.

Also he hasn't started a short important season in front of the great home fans.

There will be huge pressure and many other factors.

On the road it's easier to start, so I liked carlyle's decision to give scrivens the start there.


This tonight is a mistake.
This was the original post. That is what he meant. That its easier to start the season on the road.

Kamal007 is offline  
Old
01-21-2013, 03:19 PM
  #214
lampshade*
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,301
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penalty Kill Icing View Post
He meant starting the season on road. Not about all road games. And I do see his point this time.
Yea should have forfeited the game, reason obv being its to easy for Ben S to start on the road. Home start or forfeit, not a bad idea.

lampshade* is offline  
Old
01-21-2013, 03:19 PM
  #215
CanadasTeam
#standwitness
 
CanadasTeam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Tarrana
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,902
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
Scrivens is scary in net (glove hand and puck handling) but he got the job done and deserves another shot today.

I don't really care how he plays, as long as we keep on putting up the W's
I think he'll be fine. Carlyle even mentioned that he thinks Scrivens is actually the best puck handler amongst the goalies in our system.

CanadasTeam is offline  
Old
01-21-2013, 03:21 PM
  #216
topched
Registered User
 
topched's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,680
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lampshade View Post
Stats don't mean anything when you "seen" the game. Everyone "who's played" knows this. You didn't see how Benny boy was forcing his skating last game?
Its ridiculous to think one guy's eye test should trump decades worth of home-road splits

What does "forcing his skating" even mean? You can "force a pass" or "force a shot", you can even "force a play"... but please tell me how you can "force your skating"?

Yes, he fell a couple times going to stop the puck behind the net, don't think it had much to do with anything other than adjusting to the speed of the NHL game as well as the Bell Centre ice/boards/glass.

topched is offline  
Old
01-21-2013, 03:25 PM
  #217
mix1home
Registered User
 
mix1home's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Toronto,ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penalty Kill Icing View Post
He meant starting the season on road. Not about all road games. And I do see his point this time.
Yeah, but Scrivens _did_ start the season on the road, didn't he?
It's already his second game. No pressure.

mix1home is offline  
Old
01-21-2013, 03:27 PM
  #218
lampshade*
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,301
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
Its ridiculous to think one guy's eye test should trump decades worth of home-road splits

What does "forcing his skating" even mean? You can "force a pass" or "force a shot", you can even "force a play"... but please tell me how you can "force your skating"?

Yes, he fell a couple times going to stop the puck behind the net, don't think it had much to do with anything other than adjusting to the speed of the NHL game as well as the Bell Centre ice/boards/glass.
I don't know, was referencing the poster whos eye tests are a much better judge of world class goaltending then stats. He seen the game, even in slow mo.

lampshade* is offline  
Old
01-21-2013, 03:27 PM
  #219
SteveV*
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,212
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donmega View Post
This game is going to be huge pressure on scrivens. He was rattled in Montreal, way more pressure on him tonight in Toronto. I hope he doesn't let in soft goals but either way I have low expectations.
Ya, way more pressure at home than on the road in MONTREAL on HOCKEY NIGHT IN CANADA. PLEASE.

SteveV* is offline  
Old
01-21-2013, 03:32 PM
  #220
King Mapes
Global Moderator
The King of HF!
 
King Mapes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Regina
Posts: 26,551
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoner View Post
Shaky to me is awful.

Also a switch sends a fantastic message if it has been already determined who plays saturday and who gets the start monday. Often these decisions are made early on, a week before these games even begin. So it isn't a message at all. Just a decision made during christmas.
No it isn't. Awful means he gets beat a lot. He was shaky at times but making saves. He should have confidence going into this game vs a goalie who hasn't been playing. There's no reason to switch

King Mapes is offline  
Old
01-21-2013, 03:33 PM
  #221
mix1home
Registered User
 
mix1home's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Toronto,ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoner View Post
Oh no no. He has not played a playoff game with the Leafs. Ever.

Also he hasn't started a short important season in front of the great home fans.

There will be huge pressure and many other factors.

On the road it's easier to start, so I liked carlyle's decision to give scrivens the start there.

This tonight is a mistake.
Don't you contradict yourself here?

You are saying it's harder to start the season for goalie at home. All right.
Yet, your suggestion is to start Reimer, who would be playing his _first_ game of the season today at home, instead of Scrivens, who in fact started his season on the road and got the win?

mix1home is offline  
Old
01-21-2013, 03:36 PM
  #222
legendinblue
NHL in Seattle
 
legendinblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Seattle/Europe
Posts: 6,257
vCash: 500
Let's get two points

legendinblue is offline  
Old
01-21-2013, 03:36 PM
  #223
Kingstonian84*
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeParez View Post
Still not understanding what "pressure" is on Scrivens tonight.
I am really baffled.
Lets see.... home opener in front of a sold out crowd, not to mention a tough divisional rival who we are competing for a playoff spot for in a shortened season. The heat is definetly on, its up to Scrivens to see HOW he responds to it.

Kingstonian84* is offline  
Old
01-21-2013, 03:37 PM
  #224
TML g u n n e R s*
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Air Canada Center
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,010
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Yahoo to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Skype™ to TML g u n n e R s*
Got me some last MIN TICKETS!!!

had to buy them tho

TML g u n n e R s* is offline  
Old
01-21-2013, 03:38 PM
  #225
Kingstonian84*
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by legendinblue View Post
Let's get two points
We need these two points, because next game is IN pittsburgh against a white hot club, odds are we take it up the behind. If we can get a win here, 2 out of 3 to start the season isn't too shabby.

Kingstonian84* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:34 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2017 All Rights Reserved.