HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Amerks sign Fitzpatrick

Closed Thread

Old
03-01-2005, 05:39 PM
sabrefan27

vCash: 500
Amerks sign Fitzpatrick

Fitzy finally signed today. And I am completely lost. Cullen is set to return and all of Smith, Lingren, Paetsch, Jillson, Janik, Jorde and Dufresne are playing well. Now who sits? Paestch? This makes no sense. Now they have to sit a defensmen who has been playing well all year. I'm lost, and if anyone can help me out, I'd appreciate it.

Meanwhile, they also said they looked into signiong Gionta but didn't because of his ties to NJ. Yet Jamie Rivers plays on Hershey, Mark Eaton plays on Grand Rapids and McAmmond plays on Albany. Again, confused.

Old
03-02-2005, 07:30 AM
Ruckus007
Said too much

and the D and C chimes in

Old
03-02-2005, 05:51 PM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrefan27
Fitzy finally signed today. And I am completely lost. Cullen is set to return and all of Smith, Lingren, Paetsch, Jillson, Janik, Jorde and Dufresne are playing well. Now who sits? Paestch? This makes no sense. Now they have to sit a defensmen who has been playing well all year. I'm lost, and if anyone can help me out, I'd appreciate it.

Meanwhile, they also said they looked into signiong Gionta but didn't because of his ties to NJ. Yet Jamie Rivers plays on Hershey, Mark Eaton plays on Grand Rapids and McAmmond plays on Albany. Again, confused.
This would be my guess as to the Amerks rationale:

1) Dufresne is an ECHL defenseman.
2) Cullen is more hurt than we thought, or might take too long to transition back to playing shape.
3) Jorde is not a dependable enough defenseman for the playoffs and is better suited to be a 7th D-man/extra enforcer.
4) We don't want any of our rivals to get Fitzpatrick.

Do I agree with all those sentiments? No. But I think that's along the lines of how they are thinking.

They have sent Dufresne back to the ECHL, and they will play Fitz in the top six and slide Jorde back to 7th. Personally, I really like Jorde and the way he's picked up his game. I also like his physical prescence. But when we don't need muscle in the lineup...Fitzpatrick is clearly the better defenseman. In fact, he's now the best on the team.

Old
03-03-2005, 07:53 AM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett4
In fact, he's now the best on the team.
That's really all we need to know. It's a major upgrade any way you look at it, and defense is what wins in the playoffs.

Old
03-03-2005, 07:56 AM
Jake3648

Fitz will hardly be the best defenceman on this team......

Old
03-03-2005, 11:39 AM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake3648
Not right away at least.

Old
03-03-2005, 12:17 PM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake3648
Once he gets back in shape, I think he is. Janik is dependable as ever...but Fitzpatrick is even more dependable. Jillson has turned up the scoring...but Fitzpatrick is still a better decision maker. Paetsch has been awesome...but Fitzpatrick is more solid.

Do we need Fitzpatrick? Probably not. But he's certainly not going to hurt this defense, and as much as I like Jorde, I'd rather have Rory in the playoffs getting a regular shift.

Old
03-03-2005, 02:57 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Once he gets back in shape, I think he is. Janik is dependable as ever...but Fitzpatrick is even more dependable. Jillson has turned up the scoring...but Fitzpatrick is still a better decision maker. Paetsch has been awesome...but Fitzpatrick is more solid.

Do we need Fitzpatrick? Probably not. But he's certainly not going to hurt this defense, and as much as I like Jorde, I'd rather have Rory in the playoffs getting a regular shift.
I love having the depth with him signed. But again, the team needs a forward. It doesn't even have to be an all star player, the Amerks only have 1 extra forward. They need to bring someone in. They have until the 17th.

Old
03-03-2005, 03:12 PM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

Quote:
I love having the depth with him signed. But again, the team needs a forward. It doesn't even have to be an all star player, the Amerks only have 1 extra forward. They need to bring someone in. They have until the 17th.
I don't mind if the Amerks don't bring in a forward, as long as none of the other teams go out and snatch up a couple NHLers. I wouldn't mind an extra forward, but this team's ability to roll four solid lines continues to get the job done in the scoring department.

Last edited by Rhett4: 03-03-2005 at 08:47 PM.
Old
03-03-2005, 05:31 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
I don't mind if the Amerks bring in a forward, as long as none of the other teams go out and snatch up a couple NHLers. I wouldn't mind an extra forward, but this team's ability to roll four solid lines continues to get the job done in the scoring department.
Kevin Miller just signed in the UHL. A little old, but he'd be pretty solid and put decent numbers up.

I've been talking about Mowers a lot and how he wanted to play in the AHL. Surprised no one has snatched him up yet.

Or maybe they're planning on MacArthur to be here by playoff time. But his team could go far.

Old
03-03-2005, 08:49 PM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

Quote:
Kevin Miller just signed in the UHL. A little old, but he'd be pretty solid and put decent numbers up.

I've been talking about Mowers a lot and how he wanted to play in the AHL. Surprised no one has snatched him up yet.

Or maybe they're planning on MacArthur to be here by playoff time. But his team could go far.
If the other teams don't make any drastic improvements, I think this team can go far without adding a forward, like I've said. This team is the best in the AHL all around with a good defense, awesome goaltending, and four strong lines. However, if other teams start loading up, a scoring top 6 forward would be required to keep up pace. I'm waiting to see how things pan out, and yes, MacArthur could be a possibility--especially since he wouldn't take up a veteran spot. Then again, he's never played at the AHL level.

Old
03-03-2005, 09:34 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
If the other teams don't make any drastic improvements, I think this team can go far without adding a forward, like I've said. This team is the best in the AHL all around with a good defense, awesome goaltending, and four strong lines. However, if other teams start loading up, a scoring top 6 forward would be required to keep up pace. I'm waiting to see how things pan out, and yes, MacArthur could be a possibility--especially since he wouldn't take up a veteran spot. Then again, he's never played at the AHL level.
That sums up my thinking. And I'm a little worried about what the Moose GM said about acquiring 1 or 2 forwards to close the gap between us and them. If they sign anyone maybe it should just be someone from Buffalo to avoid other organizations or AHL waivers. Grier maybe? I'd say Dumont but he's in Europe. Connolly but he's a center.

Old
03-04-2005, 10:05 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
That sums up my thinking. And I'm a little worried about what the Moose GM said about acquiring 1 or 2 forwards to close the gap between us and them. If they sign anyone maybe it should just be someone from Buffalo to avoid other organizations or AHL waivers. Grier maybe? I'd say Dumont but he's in Europe. Connolly but he's a center.
Connolly's also hurt and still under contract to a Swiss team, so I would imagine he'd have the same issues as Pittis -- waiting until the season is officially over.