HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Mixed Martial Arts
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Mixed Martial Arts UFC, Bellator, HDNet Fights, WSOF, MFC, KOTC, One FC, and others

TUF 17: Sonnen v Jones

Old
04-03-2013, 12:44 AM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 500
**** man, it's hard to see anyone beating Uriah. Finished both his fights in vicious manner. Bubba laying there being like "What happened" was kinda hard to see. ****, that was a hell of a punch.

Josh a dick, but it's funny to see guys like him being scared of Uriah. I also think Kelvin could surprise. I think he's shown better standup against the guy Josh just beat (his name escapes me).

04-03-2013, 12:55 AM
BGDDYKWL

Completely agree. Hated Bubba and still felt bad. Lol. Hall is ridiculous. I know the final fights aren't what the fighters or coaches wanted but it does make the most sense to try to set up Josh and Hall for the final.

Quinlan just doesn't seem to have the mindset for MMA. He had position on Clint most of their fight and basically didn't throw a punch, then did the same thing with Josh. Then he admitted he basically just tapped because he didn't want to be in there anymore.

BGDDYKWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 12:57 AM
SidKadri*

Jones is going to destroy Sonnen worse than the Nazem Kadri destroyed the Senators.

SidKadri* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 09:22 AM
steafo

Send a message via AIM to steafo
Both his Uriah's knockouts were like something you don't want to see....but can't take your eyes off of it for some reason.

Is there a bigger compliment than to hear one of your coaches tell you that you are a Title contender not just a TUF contender before you get out of the tournament?

I thought with the way they were shooting this episode they were gearing up for Uriah to lose, kept showing everyone talking Uriah up and it almost seemed like Uriah was doing the cliche sports "No No" in looking past his current opponent.

This has been the best TUF I've seen as far as talent goes, doesn't seem to be as much drama as seasons before. It seems like they have a solid group with these guys...PROS really.

steafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 09:45 AM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGDDYKWL View Post
Completely agree. Hated Bubba and still felt bad. Lol. Hall is ridiculous. I know the final fights aren't what the fighters or coaches wanted but it does make the most sense to try to set up Josh and Hall for the final.

Quinlan just doesn't seem to have the mindset for MMA. He had position on Clint most of their fight and basically didn't throw a punch, then did the same thing with Josh. Then he admitted he basically just tapped because he didn't want to be in there anymore.
Regarding Quinlan: He always hops into the TUF discussions on ****** after episodes air. He was saying that after taking those really hard shots on the ground against Clint he was having some head problems, and that the three knees he took from Josh basically turned his lights off. According to him, after those knees he didn't even remember tapping to the double punches at all. He also acknowledged that he's still new-ish to MMA after coming from sport JJ which is why when he was in competition mode he wasn't throwing many strikes. Apparently he has stepped away from his pure BJJ training and has been working on his MMA-specific skillsets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steafo View Post
Both his Uriah's knockouts were like something you don't want to see....but can't take your eyes off of it for some reason.

Is there a bigger compliment than to hear one of your coaches tell you that you are a Title contender not just a TUF contender before you get out of the tournament?

I thought with the way they were shooting this episode they were gearing up for Uriah to lose, kept showing everyone talking Uriah up and it almost seemed like Uriah was doing the cliche sports "No No" in looking past his current opponent.

This has been the best TUF I've seen as far as talent goes, doesn't seem to be as much drama as seasons before. It seems like they have a solid group with these guys...PROS really.
Unfortunately we probably won't see that next season. 135lb men and 135lb women in the same house, being trained by Rousey (who pretty much only has her judo) and her unspectacular opponent. I hope they bring in some damn good trainers and coaches because the fighters - particularly the guys - aren't going to learn a lot from the head coaches.

yakitate304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 10:19 AM
Peter Griffin

Don't know if it was just editing, but Gilbert called Uriah's 10 second KO. I too got the feeling the editors were building up Uriah to lose, but then I realized he was fighting Bubba and there was no way he was going to lose to that clown lol.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 04:46 AM
BGDDYKWL

I was also getting a little worried that Hall was going to lose. I just couldn't see how it was going to happen, but it was definitely giving me that feeling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakitate304 View Post
Regarding Quinlan: He always hops into the TUF
discussions on ****** after episodes air. He was saying that after taking those really hard shots on the ground against Clint he was having some head problems, and that the three knees he took from Josh basically turned his lights off. According to him, after those knees he didn't even remember tapping to the double punches at all. He also acknowledged that he's still new-ish to MMA after coming from sport JJ which is why when he was in competition mode he wasn't throwing many strikes. Apparently he has stepped away from his pure BJJ training and has been working on his MMA-specific skillsets..
Interesting. Yeah it definitely seems like it can take some time for guys to get used to getting hit. Personally I don't think he's cut out for this, but he's a likable guy so if he proves me wrong that's great.

Old
04-04-2013, 11:45 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

So with the punch, Hall broke bones on Bubba's face in 3 places according to ******.

Honestly, that punch on TV didn't look all that vicious, but so....much...damage.

Oilbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 02:00 PM
Jasper

Hate to see what might happen to Dylan. Seems that he's in way over his head against Uriah.

Jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 02:39 PM
yada
move 2 dallas 4 work

Send a message via Yahoo to yada
cant wait for tomorrow episode and saturdays finale. watching the season from the 3 episode on i wasnt always impressed with the fighters and fights but now its been the winners brackets it was excellent. ive never cared about the ultimate fighter before but being a chael fan drew me in. i loved seeing chael tell uriah hes a title contender on the tv show especially after ko one of the only 2 fighters i dislike predictably the other is josh.

what i take away the most from this show is both jon jones and chaels mental state. when you watch the aspiring fighters worry about who theyre fighting and looking for the best matchup or giving up during a fight it shows how tough chael and jon are. chaels whole demeanor about emotions dont win fights fists do to jon constantly talking to a worried bubba. the fighters i like to be future possible ufc fighters kelvin, dylan, uriah, and josh (though id prefer no). i think that kelvin and dylan have the right mind state to make it even if they both lose.

yada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 09:14 PM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

KG! The improvement he has made is incredible! What a fighter at such a young age!

chaosrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 09:21 PM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

"i fought in that division for years and you can beat them all. Points at Silva...no exceptions...I'm not saying that pukes name but you can beat him"

Gotta love Chael.

Old
04-09-2013, 09:43 PM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

Wow! FROM THE BOTTOM! That was awesome!

Uriah vs Kelvin

Uriah looks incredible.

Old
04-09-2013, 10:50 PM
Peter Griffin

Holy ****, Uriah looks unbeatable. Kelvin looks real solid as well, guy is all heart. Wouldn't be surprised if he ends up dropping to 170 at some point though. Glad to see Chael win the Harley as well, he's a great coach and deserved the win.

Old
04-09-2013, 10:59 PM
m9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
Holy ****, Uriah looks unbeatable. Kelvin looks real solid as well, guy is all heart. Wouldn't be surprised if he ends up dropping to 170 at some point though. Glad to see Chael win the Harley as well, he's a great coach and deserved the win.
Plus given his driving history, no way should Jones be near a Harley.

Good season. Uriah had a bit more trouble this fight but was still impressive.

I'm actually really looking forward to the finale, some fun fights all over the card.

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 11:20 PM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

I wouldn't say he had much trouble..he just was patient and picked his spots. Got taken down but was tough to take down showing off good takedown defense. Was very good off his back too.

Showed a new side to Uriah.

Old
04-10-2013, 02:12 AM
BGDDYKWL

Wow that was impressive. You could tell Dylan had seen what Uriah had done thus far and was very cautious/worried about it. Certainly understandable. His stance reminded me of Roy versus JDS where he basically just kept both hands directly in front of his face. That finish from the bottom was quite impressive. The guy's special, there's no doubt about that. Question is can he handle a good wrestler. Saturday will be a good test.

Old
04-10-2013, 02:18 AM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Uriah impresses more and more every time he fights. Still hasn't fought UFC level competition but it has been a while since someone from TUF looked this good. I think he'll beat Kelvin rather easily.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 09:40 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 50
How sweet was it to see Josh lose? Especially the way he lost. He just gave up imo.

Also it looks to me that Uriah doesnt much like getting punched in the face. If that's the case he wont go far.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 09:44 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 50
Bubba McDaniel makes it onto the main card.

What a joke.

TUF 17 Finale Main Event:

125 lbs.: Urijah Faber vs. Scott Jorgensen

FX channel main card (9 p.m. ET):

185 lbs.: Uriah Hall vs. Kelvin Gastelum (TUF 17 tournament final)
265 lbs.: Travis Browne vs. Gabriel Gonzaga
135 lbs.: Miesha Tate vs. Cat Zingano
185 lbs.: Bubba McDaniel vs. Gilbert Smith

FUEL TV Prelims (7 p.m. ET):

185 lbs.: Josh Samman vs. Kevin Casey
185 lbs.: Luke Barnatt vs. Collin Hart
185 lbs.: Dylan Andrews vs. Jimmy Quinlan
185 lbs.: Clint Hester vs. Bristol Marunde

Facebook Prelims (5:30 p.m. ET):

145 lbs.: Bart Palaszewski vs. Cole Miller
145 lbs.: Daniel Pineda vs. Justin Lawrence
145 lbs.: Maximo Blanco vs. Sam Sicilia

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 10:42 AM
Captain_Cunney

You can certainly tell that bubba is close with the golden child, aka bones Jones. There is no logical reason for him to be fighting on this card yet alone the main portion, especially with bart/cole on the fb portion.

The dude didn't actually win a single fight in the house, Casey quit, he is one of the worst, work ethic shouldn't get you a ufc fight.

Captain_Cunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 11:44 AM
m9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Cunney View Post
You can certainly tell that bubba is close with the golden child, aka bones Jones. There is no logical reason for him to be fighting on this card yet alone the main portion, especially with bart/cole on the fb portion.

The dude didn't actually win a single fight in the house, Casey quit, he is one of the worst, work ethic shouldn't get you a ufc fight.
The whole card placement is a joke. I can't pretend to care too much anyway since I will watch all of the fights, but there are good fighters getting stuck on Facebook underneath a bunch of bums on Fuel.

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 01:57 PM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

SO happy that Kelvin won. I hope the final is competitive, I'd love to see what happens if Kelvin can get a takedown.

As for the other fights... Not sure how Kevin Casey is still around, I hope Samman knocks him the **** out. Luke vs. Collin I don't care much about because I don't think either of them is good, aside from Luke being tall. I would like to see Adam Cella fight again, although he might not be cleared for a return until 2017.

yakitate304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 02:14 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakitate304 View Post
I would like to see Adam Cella fight again, although he might not be cleared for a return until 2017.
He fought Tor this past weekend and was submitted. I doubt we'll see anymore of him.

Old
04-10-2013, 05:31 PM
Jasper

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Also it looks to me that Uriah doesnt much like getting punched in the face. If that's the case he wont go far.
Yep.. and Kelvin seems he's strong where Uriah may be weak. Doesn't seem like he'll be intimidated either.

Jasper is offline   Reply With Quote