HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

OT: NBA receives Seattle/Hansen offer for Sacramento

Closed Thread

Old
01-21-2013, 08:57 PM
Ernie

vCash: 500
I really doubt the NHL puts another team in Northern California.

Old
01-21-2013, 10:57 PM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Washington View Post
Stop, just stop. The NHL is not going to give Cali 4 NHL teams. And if they did, it would be San Diego.
Not until there's a new arena, which will happen approximately when Hades reaches thermal equilibrium with absolute Zero. That said, I don't even think that a third NHL team in San Diego would necessarily be a good idea. The (LA) Kings' AHL team here? Sure. But I can't see there being ENOUGH corporate and season ticketholders to support the third Southern California team -- much as I'd love to have one.

Old
01-21-2013, 11:13 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

To paraphrase the guy in that CSN Bay Area article, there are a lot of NBA and NHL caliber cities out there (more and more with each census, in fact). And Sacramento, whatever it's advantages, isn't anywhere close to the best option out there for either of them.

As to the NHL's status as a gate driven league... that's not a reason to put teams just anywhere, as the league has learned the hard way. They get viewers from Sacramento and that's good enough.

Old
01-22-2013, 12:30 AM
DyerMaker66

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstommylee View Post
Ontario already has two teams.
Yes and California has 3; adding another before adding one in Ontario makes no sense.

Old
01-22-2013, 08:22 AM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyerMaker66 View Post
Yes and California has 3; adding another before adding one in Ontario makes no sense.
Sure it does because there is three times as many people in California than there is in Ontario.

Old
01-22-2013, 08:24 AM
Bucky_Hoyt

Relocate the As to Sacramento?

Old
01-22-2013, 08:43 AM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky_Hoyt View Post
Relocate the As to Sacramento?
Sacramento would have to build a brand new baseball stadium to get a professional baseball team and they just spent a lot of money building Raley Field in 2000. Chances of them making that happen after only 13 years are slim to none.

Old
01-22-2013, 12:18 PM
htpwn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Sure it does because there is three times as many people in California than there is in Ontario.
If your really going to make an argument for a 4th team in California over a 3rd one in Ontario, I simply don't know what to tell you.

Old
01-22-2013, 12:34 PM
Arrch

Quote:
Originally Posted by htpwn View Post
If your really going to make an argument for a 4th team in California over a 3rd one in Ontario, I simply don't know what to tell you.
If nds90 is correct in that the league is moving away from being attendance driven to TV deal driven, then it's a pretty good argument to stay away from over-saturated markets.

Old
01-22-2013, 03:24 PM
Ernie

Not to mention you'd be eating into potential TV money for the Sharks.

Old
01-22-2013, 04:06 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

Quote:
Again, you are making the assumption that because there are more people in California, that it automatically means that there are more hockey fans. I have yet to see any proof of that.

Old
01-22-2013, 04:09 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Sacramento would have to build a brand new baseball stadium to get a professional baseball team and they just spent a lot of money building Raley Field in 2000. Chances of them making that happen after only 13 years are slim to none.
Pinkfloyd:

Where was the Sac River Cats, which is the A's AAA Club, btw, and knew something about the history of ARCO/Power Balance/Sleep Train arena/pavilion, you'd realize that there was supposed to be a dual purpose facility alongside the current Kings arena....that stadium was supposed to be what Raley Field later became....

why have the Maloofs been advocating almost since their arrival from KC in 1985, that the current arena is outdated.... why was the Sprint Center the 'it' DESTINATION in KC as it did replace Kemper Arena...

the other factor which all of you are missing is, Don Levin isn't part of these discussions, and believe me, what NHL Franchise is up for sale that isn't spoken for... (Phoenix is off the table, if the NHL approves Jamison)....

how would Rosemont fans feel if the Wolves bolted the Chicagoland market for Seattle?

Old
01-22-2013, 04:18 PM
DyerMaker66

Quote:
So there will certainly be three times as many hockey fans in California than there are in Ontario, right?

LA sells tickets for three times the amount of Toronto because of the population difference, right?

Again, your logic makes zero sense.

Old
01-22-2013, 04:20 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
Pinkfloyd:

Where was the Sac River Cats, which is the A's AAA Club, btw, and knew something about the history of ARCO/Power Balance/Sleep Train arena/pavilion, you'd realize that there was supposed to be a dual purpose facility alongside the current Kings arena....that stadium was supposed to be what Raley Field later became....

why have the Maloofs been advocating almost since their arrival from KC in 1985, that the current arena is outdated.... why was the Sprint Center the 'it' DESTINATION in KC as it did replace Kemper Arena...

the other factor which all of you are missing is, Don Levin isn't part of these discussions, and believe me, what NHL Franchise is up for sale that isn't spoken for... (Phoenix is off the table, if the NHL approves Jamison)....

how would Rosemont fans feel if the Wolves bolted the Chicagoland market for Seattle?
What the hell are you rambling about?

Old
01-22-2013, 04:35 PM
Arrch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckschmuck View Post
Again, you are making the assumption that because there are more people in California, that it automatically means that there are more hockey fans. I have yet to see any proof of that.
Quote:
So there will certainly be three times as many hockey fans in California than there are in Ontario, right?

LA sells tickets for three times the amount of Toronto because of the population difference, right?

Again, your logic makes zero sense.
Do you try to sell a new smart phone to a dozen tech-savvy consumers, or to three dozen dumb-phone users?

I don't necessarily think that Sacramento is a good place for an NHL franchise, but you don't sell more product by focusing on saturated markets.

Last edited by Arrch: 01-22-2013 at 04:44 PM.
Old
01-22-2013, 04:53 PM
DyerMaker66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrch View Post
Do you try to sell a new smart phone to a dozen tech-savvy consumers, or to three dozen dumb-phone users?

I don't necessarily think that Sacramento is a good place for an NHL franchise, but you don't sell more product by focusing on saturated markets.
Again: Your view is skewed. The GTHA Market is not saturated; it's underserved. You're leaving money on the table by not having teams in Hamilton and Quebec (the NHL has even admitted such in court). I would lump Seattle in with those two as well (although they are less-likely, imo, they're still a very smart choice).

There are at the very least 20,000 people in Ontario who have money to spend on the NHL that currently can't. There aren't 20,000 fans in Sacramento that will fill the arena; they don't even do so for their current NBA team.

Old
01-22-2013, 05:09 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

Quote:

If you are referring to Canada, the popularity of the NHL in Canada is not at it's peak because it is still growing according to many. So since Canada isn't a saturated market as of yet, then there is still room for the league to grow the game north of the 49th. Same deal with several northern states.

Old
01-22-2013, 05:24 PM
Arrch

Quote:
Again: Your view is skewed. The GTHA Market is not saturated; it's underserved. You're leaving money on the table by not having teams in Hamilton and Quebec (the NHL has even admitted such in court). I would lump Seattle in with those two as well (although they are less-likely, imo, they're still a very smart choice).
There are at the very least 20,000 people in Ontario who have money to spend on the NHL that currently can't. There aren't 20,000 fans in Sacramento that will fill the arena; they don't even do so for their current NBA team.
I have no doubt that a second team would sell out easily, but you're not going to see much of an increase in $$ when it comes to TV deals and merchandise. That's not even considering the whole money out-of-the-pocket of MLSE issue...

Quote:
There aren't 20,000 fans in Sacramento that will fill the arena; they don't even do so for their current NBA team.
I refer you to my previous statement about Sacramento not being a viable NHL franchise at the moment. California is a good place to grow the game, but they need to do more grass roots tactics. ECHL is doing well out here, so finding a way to get an AHL division out here would be the next step.

Quote:
If you are referring to Canada, the popularity of the NHL in Canada is not at it's peak because it is still growing according to many. So since Canada isn't a saturated market as of yet, then there is still room for the league to grow the game north of the 49th. Same deal with several northern states.
I was referring to GTHA; I still think Quebec is a good (probably the best) market for a team.

Old
01-22-2013, 05:40 PM
Bucky_Hoyt

Quote:
They do draw quite well though for a minor league team IIRC. Possible to renovate Raley Field to 35k+?

Old
01-22-2013, 05:47 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
What the hell are you rambling about?
and what does your post, AF24, have to do w/ the discussion?

Another thought I heard/read was if Hansen does get approved, there were rumblings that Larry Bird might be brought in as head of basketball operations;

latest from Sacramento is KJ has lined up 19 heads of business leaders to try to keep the Kings there.

Old
01-22-2013, 06:09 PM
DyerMaker66

Quote:
I have no doubt that a second team would sell out easily, but you're not going to see much of an increase in $$ when it comes to TV deals and merchandise. That's not even considering the whole money out-of-the-pocket of MLSE issue...
They'll get a 50+ mil expansion fee with broadcasting rights to offset the negative value to Buds, imo.

Quote:
I refer you to my previous statement about Sacramento not being a viable NHL franchise at the moment. California is a good place to grow the game, but they need to do more grass roots tactics. ECHL is doing well out here, so finding a way to get an AHL division out here would be the next step.
That's a realistic and smart idea, imo.

Quote:
I was referring to GTHA; I still think Quebec is a good (probably the best) market for a team.
I think the GTHA will do better financially, but I do agree that QC will happen first or at the same time (obviously that's less likely).

Old
01-22-2013, 06:09 PM
htpwn

Quote:
If nds90 is correct in that the league is moving away from being attendance driven to TV deal driven, then it's a pretty good argument to stay away from over-saturated markets.
Just because a market has a team does not necessarily mean it is over-saturated. Such an assumption seems incredibly simplistic.

The merits of a second team in Southern Ontario has been discussed at length over the past several years here and I don't feel like rehashing everything. In short though, the Golden Horseshoe is the 4th largest urban area in North America with a population of 8.7 million and makes up over a quarter of Canada's GDP. It has a mere 3 major professional sports franchises and there is an incredible amount of demand for NHL hockey that one franchise cannot fill. The NHL is arguably losing ground in the region because of precisely that. Over 1 million people moved to the region in the past decade alone, many turned away from hockey because of the high prices and scarcity of Leafs tickets. By the NHL's own estimates, revealed during the Coyotes bankruptcy, Southern Ontario has 45% more hockey fans than New York City (keeping in mind, there's 3 teams in NY) and a second team in the region would almost assuredly be Top 5 in revenues.

Doesn't sound like an over-saturated market to me, but since your so concerned, perhaps the discussion should shift to markets that are over-saturated. An all too common refrain against more teams in Canada is this 'growing the game,' 'over-saturation' argument, yet arguably and ironically the biggest impediment to that is New York and Los Angeles. Both could be served fine with one less team.

Old
01-22-2013, 06:16 PM
beenhereandthere

Off topic, but, Sacramento isn't totally unexposed to hockey (lived there for a brief period, I know). However, it's way down the pecking order as far as the NHL is concerned.
I have mixed feelings about Hansen "completing" this sale. Too bad Buttman didn't get off his arse and at least expand to Seattle, even if a team didn't actually start until 2014 or 2015. The Sonics returning, makes it a little more difficult (but still a good shot) for an NHL team to do well in Seattle. The bitterness that NBA fans felt over the Sonics moving, will of course, fade away.
Something tells me though, IMO, that Sacramento, could still come up with something, to keep them there.
I recall, when, the NBA, in 1994, had a similar situation, with Minnesota moving to New Orleans and the buyers/sellers announced it, however, that still fell through.

Old
01-22-2013, 06:21 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Off topic, but, Sacramento isn't totally unexposed to hockey (lived there for a brief period, I know). However, it's way down the pecking order as far as the NHL is concerned.
I have mixed feelings about Hansen "completing" this sale. Too bad Buttman didn't get off his arse and at least expand to Seattle, even if a team didn't actually start until 2014 or 2015. The Sonics returning, makes it a little more difficult (but still a good shot) for an NHL team to do well in Seattle. The bitterness that NBA fans felt over the Sonics moving, will of course, fade away.
Something tells me though, IMO, that Sacramento, could still come up with something, to keep them there.
I recall, when, the NBA, in 1994, had a similar situation, with Minnesota moving to New Orleans and the buyers/sellers announced it, however, that still fell through.
So the NBA puts themselves into a BIGGER PR nightmare and blackeye shafting seattle a 2nd time just so Sac can keep their kings?

The Timerwolves sale/recol fell apart due to financial plan issues. You do realize the sonics have to return for the arena to be built. There is no NHL only option to built the arena.

Old
01-22-2013, 06:22 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

If discussion will got off topic so quickly, we'll just leave you to the megathreads.

Closed Thread