HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Jack Edwards

Old
02-13-2013, 05:31 PM
22Brad Park

vCash: 500
Fred Cusack was 100 times better then him ,Not even close.,Yes sometimes Jack gets carried away like last nite jumping up and down when Bruins tied game.But at least he has passion for it,I can live with that.

22Brad Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 06:11 PM
Chieftans22*
#FreeSeguin

Jack is awesome. Prepared, knowledgeable, and one of, if not the single most exciting announcer to listen while watching a game. He is getting less homerish by the day, also.

About 5 years ago listening to him would be like listening to the guy sitting next to you who hates the other team but knows everything about them.

Chieftans22* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 06:28 PM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

Edwards is great and as someone who is not at all a Bruins fan, I don't consider him homer.

I've always found him to be knowledgeable about the other team, fair to the other team, and shows excitement for the other team when they do something good.

I thought he was gonna marry Rick Nash last night with all the praise he was showering on the big winger

02-13-2013, 07:06 PM
blaney

I don't listen to him because the Canucks don't really play Boston much so I don't know if he does this or not...

But the things that really gets me is when the commentators call the players by their first names, SJ commentators I'm looking at you...

It sounds creepy and unprofessional.

blaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 07:09 PM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaney View Post
I don't listen to him because the Canucks don't really play Boston much so I don't know if he does this or not...

But the things that really gets me is when the commentators call the players by their first names, SJ commentators I'm looking at you...

That's very hypocritical of you, considering your announcers seem to be on first name basis with Henrik and Daniel

Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 07:13 PM
bruins4life81

Quote:

I don't like it either, but what I really can't handle is when commentators use nicknames. I'm looking at you FSN Pittsburg...the absolute worst duo in the league

bruins4life81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 07:17 PM
Affinity

Quote:

I was gonna make a thread about this but decided not to.. It is so irksome when I hear commentators call players by their first names during the game. Like you said just completely unprofessional.

Affinity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 07:23 PM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruins4life81 View Post
I don't like it either, but what I really can't handle is when commentators use nicknames. I'm looking at you FSN Pittsburg...the absolute worst duo in the league
Well it depends on how widely used it is. I could see calling Malkin "Geno" because lots of people call him Geno.

That's like using "A-Rod" or "King Felix"

Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 07:32 PM
TCL40

Quote:
Well it depends on how widely used it is. I could see calling Malkin "Geno" because lots of people call him Geno.

That's like using "A-Rod" or "King Felix"
I still hate it. I think it just sounds unprofessional.

I would also add that I also get annoyed when broadcast teams don't do their homework on the teams and especially get information wrong.

There was an NBC game with the Bruins where Pierre was saying all sorts of things about a couple of players that wasn't correct (although I think when he said Campbell rarely played center he meant to say wing and just didn't catch it).

Mispronounced names bother me too, but I can be a little more forgiving with this, since there can be variation, but I think a broadcast team should take the time to double check pronunciations.

One thing I do like about Edwards is he does generally do his homework and tends to know a lot about the other team's players.

TCL40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 08:23 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:

Edwards doesn't do that. The closest he may come is using both names, as in "Chris Kelly."

Anyone who listens to Edwards call an entire game - not just hears his most outrageous "highlights" on youtube - knows the guy is a tremendous announcer. He knows the name of every player on the ice (how often do you hear "the Montreal defenseman," etc. from other announcers?), and knows something about their capabilities/tendencies. And he also gives full credit where credit is due. As a Bruins fan, I can attest that his excitement at other teams' good play can actually be upsetting.

Artemis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 08:53 PM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
That's very hypocritical of you, considering your announcers seem to be on first name basis with Henrik and Daniel
Your right, perhaps we should resort to calling them Sedin 1 and Sedin 2.

Sergei Shirokov is offline   Reply With Quote