HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would an All Canadian League work ??

Closed Thread

Old
03-05-2005, 12:45 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Would an All Canadian League work ??

What would happen in The Leafs spearhead and by leaving the NHL and taking the other Canadian Owners to form its own league ..

They could have Teams in Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Toronto, Hamilton, Ottawa, Montreal and Quebec ..

Think about that .. The CBC and TSN and Rogers Sportsnet would fight for the TV rights ..

The CHL(OHL, WHL, QMJHL) could be the feeder systems as the Canadian kids stay in their own Countries ..

Many of the Canadian born NHLers playing in the states may return to play near home .. (J. Sakic, P.Kariya, S.Niedermayer for example to Vancouver) ..

Could welcome Euro's freely or limit them per team to promote Canadian opportunities for young hockey Players ..

Which league would have the biggest following and fan support the remaining 24 US NHL teams or the New Canadian NHL (its own CFL equivalent if you like) ..

In fact some of those non-tradional US markets would have a real tough time surviving without the Canadian Teams IMO .. Soon you might only have a dozen left in the NHL as some fall by the wayside ..

Teams could even agree to play 10 games in other Areana's throughout Canada .. St. Johns, Victoria, Regina, Kelowna, Brandon, Halifax, Saskatoon etc etc .. to create excitment ..

Hey Maybe those guys that wanted the whole NHL would be interested in investing some of those billions in this league ... or maybe even by the TV and promotion rights and make millions in return .

I still find it hard to believe that the 6 Canadian teams are going to let the US courts decide the future of the 6 NHL teams, with different labour laws and Immegration laws ..

Bring on the Canadian NHL .. Would it work ?

Old
03-05-2005, 12:57 AM
monkey_00*

The Messenger..........

Yes it would work.........I like your selection of Canadian Cities.....except you selected 9 so I would round up the number of teams in this Canadian NHL to TEN and place the 10th team somewhere in Saskatchewan.........you are right after a while the American teams (most of them) would die off and the stronger ones who survive might then want to join up with the Canadian NHL but too bad I say stick a fork in the American NHL hockey teams!!!.........we would also be better off forming some sort of an agreement with some of the stronger exisiting European based pro hockey teams from Sweden, Czech Rep. and Russia for example to participate in a tournament for the World Cup of Hockey.......the Stanley Cup stays reserved for competition among the Canadian based clubs and NO ONE ELSE.......that was the original intent of the Stanley Cup anyways right?...........

As far as I'm concerned the NHL as we knew it is DEAD........and for me that is a VERY good thing since more than half of those clubs I can really do without........I don't really give a rats ass about teams in places like Columbus Ohio, , Nashville, Tampa Bay, Carolina and Anaheim to name but a few examples.

Cheers!

Old
03-05-2005, 01:21 AM
monkey_00*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger
Sorry 9 teams ??

Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Toronto, Hamilton, Ottawa, Montreal and Quebec

Not that is maters for this discussion idea in general but how did you come up with that ??
The Messenger............

How come you don't have Vancouver included on your list the second time around?

Old
03-05-2005, 01:39 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey_00
The Messenger............

How come you don't have Vancouver included on your list the second time around?
Only wanted 8 teams to make the playoffs .. and I don't like them ..

Three Division of 3

WEST
Vancouver
Calgary
Edmonton

BEST
Winnipeg
Toronto
Hamilton

REST
Ottawa
Montreal
Quebec

Last edited by Mess: 03-05-2005 at 01:46 AM.
Old
03-05-2005, 02:13 AM
monkey_00*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger
Only wanted 8 teams to make the playoffs .. and I don't like them ..

Three Division of 3

WEST
Vancouver
Calgary
Edmonton

BEST
Winnipeg
Toronto
Hamilton

REST
Ottawa
Montreal
Quebec
.....Good one Buddy!........heh heh heh

Old
03-05-2005, 06:47 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

i was going to make a new NHL scheme write-up - all canadian style,
but then i realized detroit should be far more likely to succeed than most, and a few other american citiies as well.

only toronto montreal vancouver ottawa calgary edmonton winnipeg ottawa quebec hamilton could be considered

a ten team league ?
what happens to all the other players,
think how many europeans would stay in europe

and then the biggest concern:
the U.S would make their own league as well and all the big namers would likely flee our little canadian league for the big money in america

that's why it won't work

Old
03-05-2005, 08:34 AM
Pulfy14

That would be awsome no moore American teams winning the CUP!!

Old
03-05-2005, 11:04 AM
goleafsgo

Send a message via MSN to goleafsgo
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafs_fan1001
True. Since no American teams would be in the Canadian league, only Canadian teams can win but I would have to go with p.l.f. All the big timers would go to the American league because of the salary.

Old
03-05-2005, 12:48 PM
Augustus

Yes, I think an all-Canadian league would do quite well. It would be great if the owners could choose a pete rozelle type to head up the league who would make it a priority to have a national tv contract which could be shared equally by all teams to make the playing field a lot more even. And, like pro football, a commissioner who really knows the game could push for rules that would bring back the flow and generate crowd interest.

I think cities such as NY, Boston, Detroit, Chicago, Minneapolis etc could form their own division but I don't know how the Canadian tv deal I just negotiated would impact on these teams being included. I can't see a northern tv coalition working and allowing them their own tv deals moves away from the economic parity I want. The same would be true of a European division.

It would be great to reduce the number of teams and have them play in cities that want them and where they would be #1 for their fans.

Old
03-05-2005, 12:52 PM
MacDaddy TLC*

This would be the CFL on ice. Toronto should cut loose all the Canadian teams and their whiny fans who complain about Toronto (if they only realized their favourite teams wouldn't exist without the Leafs....) and hook up with the major U.S centres and form a Super League. It would serve the purpose of putting the NHL and all its small market miserable failures out of business. It would also lead to the end of Bill Wirtz nad Jeremey Jacobs. The new league could relocate teams into Boston and Chicago and put the Hawks and Bruins fans out of their misery or try and force their hand into making the two old buzzards sell their teams before they lost everything.(Chicago has facilities that could compete, don't know about Boston...)

Old
03-05-2005, 01:01 PM
Augustus

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f.
a ten team league ?
what happens to all the other players,
think how many europeans would stay in europe

and then the biggest concern:
the U.S would make their own league as well and all the big namers would likely flee our little canadian league for the big money in america
How much more money would be in u.s. league outside of a few markets in the northern tier? How many teams would play competitively in a u.s. league? We've already seen the failure of the willy-nilly expansion into non-hockey cities in u.s.

Of course competing leagues would be a problem (sidney crosby's of the world would go to a u.s. team) but I'm not entirely convinced that in the long run a ten team Canadian league wouldn't be more successful than a ten team U.S. league.

Hockey is not basketball, baseball, football etc which is more popular in the u.s. Do you think there is an equivalent to tim horton's or scott tissue to subsidize the u.s. curling championships, or the kind of tv coverage we get here (even with cbc country)? The same would be true in hockey outside of four to six markets in the u.s.

This is one competition Canada might win - the success of a national hockey league.

Old
03-05-2005, 02:16 PM
Frankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor of MacAppolis
This would be the CFL on ice.
that's what i was going to say.

i wouldn't complain about seeing the cfl on ice though.

Old
03-05-2005, 02:35 PM
richardn

I am all forr the CFL on ice. I think it would be a very profitable league. If you wanted you could add a few teams like Detroit which is right on the border of Windsor and a team in Sask and maybe Halifax if the league had a good revenue sharing plan.

Old
03-05-2005, 03:18 PM
monkey_00*

If you're going to add some American teams in this League of ours I say put them in a different division and have a limited amount of games with them.....Detroit, Boston, and Minnesota are 3 great areas to include simply because those are probably the 3 areas in the entire USA that cares almost as much about hockey as the people of Canada do............having said that I 'd much rather prefer it stay 100% Canadian based teams in this new Hockey League.

Old
03-05-2005, 03:45 PM
emillie

I think it could work if, and only if, all the Canadian teams in the league share revenue. I would also want to see a team in Eastern Canada.

As for competition from the USA, isn't one of the biggest problems with hockey that no one in the USA watchs hockey? If most of the teams in the US aren't drawing many people now why would they draw a lot of people to games with an all US league? I don't know if Canadian players would bolt to the US for bigger money cause they might not be bigger money in the US to be earned.

Old
03-05-2005, 04:51 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafs_fan1001
How do you figure? The NHL controls the Stanley Cup.

Old
03-05-2005, 05:06 PM
monkey_00*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster
I'm sure there'd be people in Canada fighting to get it back in Court wouldn't you?

Old
03-05-2005, 06:15 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
If you're going to add some American teams in this League of ours I say put them in a different division and have a limited amount of games with them.....Detroit, Boston, and Minnesota are 3 great areas to include simply because those are probably the 3 areas in the entire USA that cares almost as much about hockey as the people of Canada do............having said that I 'd much rather prefer it stay 100% Canadian based teams in this new Hockey League.
Not in Phase I ..

Just Canada ... Then perhaps the league can charge in year 2 or 3 an HUGE entrance fee for the few Big market US teams .. but they have to come begging first ..

Also see how I am doing the Opposite of Bettman .. Stabilzing the League, Setting up proper Revenue Sharing , and then EXPANDING to BIG MARKET US cities in the future ..

They have their precious 30 Mil Hard Cap NO - STAR LEAGUE NHL..

Old
03-05-2005, 06:18 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Ours would an exact replica .. Just Shinier ...

We can call ours the Bobby Orr Cup ..

Old
03-05-2005, 06:47 PM
Christ

Quote:
Come on it is in Toronto for most of the year...us Canadians could easily kidnap it for our own enjoyment

Old
03-05-2005, 07:20 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

big spenders from the US are detroit, colorado, philly, ny for starters
chicago and boston could always be bought by some high rollers

Old
03-05-2005, 07:33 PM
GoM

It wouldn't work because THE PLAYERS ARE COMMIES AND WOULD TAKE A SALARY CAP

Old
03-05-2005, 08:53 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

I would like to see Halifax get one, the east coast deserves a team to, and they could support it.

Old
03-05-2005, 09:06 PM
monkey_00*

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiedaeagle20
I would like to see Halifax get one, the east coast deserves a team to, and they could support it.
eddiedaeagle20..............

East Coast is a good hockey market I agree but I think the East Coast would be the primary location for the farm teams of this new Canadian NHL.

Old
03-05-2005, 09:15 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Quote:
eddiedaeagle20..............

East Coast is a good hockey market I agree but I think the East Coast would be the primary location for the farm teams of this new Canadian NHL.
Meh

Closed Thread