Notices

Player you expected more of via trade/FA last 10 years

Old
01-23-2013, 11:17 AM
Bruwinz37

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOOKER411 View Post
For me the biggest dissapointment signing was Martin Lapointe. Mike Oconnell lets 40 gaol man Bill Guerin walk via free agency to Dallas because I think Guerin was asking $ 6.5 million per year but then signs Lapointe for $5 million per year and I don't think Lapointe hit double digits for goals. Just awefull

The worst trade for me other than the obvious Joe Thornton fire sale would have to be getting Kevin Stevens and Shawn Mceachern for Brian Smolinski and Glen Murray. Now don't get me wrong. I would have pulled the trigger all day long on that trade but due to my shear expectations of a line. A line that bosted Cam Neely on the RW and Kevin Stevens on the LW. I honestly believed that no matter who the center was we would have had two 50 goal scorers that year. My eyes still well up thinking about it.
Guerin got 9m, was pretty much a disaster in Dallas. Never scored over 30 goals again.

Lapointe didnt meet expectations for sure...and was overpaid, but he was on the right side of 30 (only 28 as an UFA) and brought grit and leadership.

Bruwinz37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:00 PM
BrewinBruin
Believability

No mention of Coffey? True, over the hill and more than 10 years ago, but still not off the hook completely!

BrewinBruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:39 PM
GodTukka*

Kaberle.

he'll fix the power play they said, legit complement to Chara they said.....

I saw a crappy Power play somehow get worse (like, all time record bad) and laughed immensely when Carolina signed him to that contract

Still, it's good troll ammo to use against my friends who are Leafs fan (My team got him what your team couldn't a ring...even if he didn't earn it)

GodTukka* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:26 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewinBruin View Post
No mention of Coffey? True, over the hill and more than 10 years ago, but still not off the hook completely!
He was kicked well before they signed him, so no.

LSCII is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 02:54 PM
whatsbruin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharaTriedToEatMe View Post
Lapointe Zhamnov and Stuart clearly belong on the list but we knew they'd disappoint/suck. Noone was excited about any of them given the circumstances when each signed. So there was no excitement to be dashed.

Isbister and Ward probably belong on the list too just b/c both had big roles yet blew.

Montador was a depth guy like someone said he wasn't aquired to play on the second pairing. The season was a disappointment more than him IMO.
Don't know how you can include Aaron Ward on the list.
He was a steady stay at home D'man that stood up for
his linemates, and scored a few timely goals.

I'd say he was a good Bruin.

Again, most of the players being mentioned are guys that I had
very low expectations when they got here, so I was not disappointed in them, and I include Isbister on that list.

His previous two years in the NHL Isbister scored 10 goals in 51 games each of the years. I wasn't expecting anything more, and thats about what the B's got.

whatsbruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 04:06 PM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely08 View Post
He was spent. I didn't expect much from him at that point of his career other than leadership.
Toronto actually traded for him at the deadline the season previous and he went on to put up a point a game there in his short stint. He was nearing the end (for sure) but I was expecting something substantially better than what we got.

Mr. Make-Believe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 04:14 PM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Paul Mara was a guy that I really liked and thought would excel in Boston. Wasn't anything but forgettable.

I thought Scott Pellerin would have provided some secondary scoring, although I'm not entirely sure he fits the time parameters. He was non-existent.

Sandy McCarthy was tough at one point in his career AND was a pretty decen fourth line PLAYER. But when he got to Boston, he lost both attributes.

Jeff Jillson had a knockout first or second game with the B's (scored two goals and looked like a PRO doing it) but for some reason, he never panned out like I thought he would.

Mr. Make-Believe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 04:21 PM
JRull86
Formerly Guiledoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaBoot View Post
Michael Nylander - thought he'd be a good 2nd or 3rd liner.....was a complete bust, then after the lockout had 2 consecutive 20+ goal seasons with the Rangers.
He wasn't horrible here. Wasn't what he was in Washington the year before, prior to trading for him, but a bust? Nah. Pretty sure he only played a handful of games that season prior to being traded as well.

The obvious answer is Zhamov like a lot of people have said, but other than him I'd have to go with Leetch. He was just horrible, and was a stupid signing from day 1. I know he was decent with Toronto after getting traded there the year earlier, but they signed him to be something he wasn't (and couldn't be) and it backfired. Brad Stuart, Gonchar and Kaberle are all up there as well.

Man the Bruins have made some trades for D-Men that just flammed out huh.

JRull86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 04:24 PM
Looch
B's, C's & Sox

Kaberle

01-23-2013, 04:31 PM
JMiller

I thought Derek Morris was going to be a perfect #2 Bruins defense-man. . . basically Seidenberg with fangs. Didn't even make it through the year.

JMiller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 02:12 PM
MOOKER411

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz37 View Post
Guerin got 9m, was pretty much a disaster in Dallas. Never scored over 30 goals again.

Lapointe didnt meet expectations for sure...and was overpaid, but he was on the right side of 30 (only 28 as an UFA) and brought grit and leadership.
Was it really $9 million ? If so then yes I would have let him walk too. I still could not have paid Lapointe $5 million.
Oh God what a nightmare that summer was. Let everyone walk and think you will have your picks of all the good FA after the lockout. Well I guess sometimes you gamble and either win or lose but talk about tossing in all your chips with the exception of Thorton and Samsanov which you trade away for a bag of used pucks.

MOOKER411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 02:34 PM
BB624

I am not sure how people have Nylander on here.

He played 15 regular season games 1 g 11 A. And he had only played 3 games that season prior to the trade.

And in the playoffs he added 3g 3a in 6 games

BB624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 03:45 PM
doc5hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator Mike View Post
Brandon Bochenski, I think.

Never understood how a kid who could skate and shoot like he could never found a regular spot in the NHL.

Slowwwwww, and not a battler. Bad combo in any era.

Brad Stuart is an excellent example for this question; the Bruins should have come away from the JT deal with the two-way PMD that the org lacked in the wake of Bourque to Colorado. Post-lockout they took another shot at it, and the best piece of the deal was Andrew Ference. They got Dan Paille out of it, eventually, so a Thornton trade produced but nowhere near like one should have.

doc5hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 03:47 PM
doc5hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB624 View Post
I am not sure how people have Nylander on here.

He played 15 regular season games 1 g 11 A. And he had only played 3 games that season prior to the trade.

And in the playoffs he added 3g 3a in 6 games

Well it was hoped he'd stick around, so the quick turnaround was a bit deflating.

Old
01-24-2013, 03:52 PM
Number8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
Zhamnov is obviously number one. Kaberle is another one, I was always a believer that he was pretty good player on a bad team. Thought he would be a lot more than a serviceable bottom pair guy for Boston. Martin Lapointe too, but even to a very young me that felt like an obvious overpayment at the time.
Totally agree. Jacobs got in a pissing match with Illitch and went a bit nutty,

That said, Marty Lapointe continues to pay huge dividends to Boston. He was instrumental in giving a very young rookie Patrice Bergeron a home, a surrogate family, and a mentor willing to show a young guy what it takes to be a legit NHL vet. Say what you want about Marty, but he was old school in a good way.

Patrice already had the character, but he freely acknowledges what a big part of his development ML represented.

Number8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 03:54 PM
BB624

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc5hole View Post
Well it was hoped he'd stick around, so the quick turnaround was a bit deflating.
Yep Jacobs/Sinden/O'connell screwed that up.

Old
01-24-2013, 03:55 PM
BB624

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number8 View Post
Totally agree. Jacobs got in a pissing match with Illitch and went a bit nutty,

That said, Marty Lapointe continues to pay huge dividends to Boston. He was instrumental in giving a very young rookie Patrice Bergeron a home, a surrogate family, and a mentor willing to show a young guy what it takes to be a legit NHL vet. Say what you want about Marty, but he was old school in a good way.

Patrice already had the character, but he freely acknowledges what a big part of his development ML represented.
http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nhl...mes&id=6607304

Old
01-24-2013, 03:55 PM
doc5hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
He was kicked well before they signed him, so no.
Actually, Coffey was pretty sound the season before while playing for Carolina. He was minus-6 on a team that scored 217 goals (and plus-1 in 44 games after Carolina got him from Chicago the year before). So I don't think Harry was out to lunch on the scouting angle, but in keeping with his tradition of bringing in Al Iafrate, Mats Naslund and others too late in their careers (years or mileage-wise), he asked too much of Coffey. He would have been a good No. 5/PPG guy on a Cup contender, but there was no other NHL scenario for him at that point and rebuilding under Keenan the Bruins were the epitomy of another scenario in 2000-01.

Old
01-24-2013, 03:58 PM
Number8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
Al Iafrate
Dave Scatchard
Zhamnov
Bob Joyce
Only problem with Planet Al was his knees and the lockout.

He was fun to watch in Boston -- even if it was only 25 games or so.

Number8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 04:04 PM
Neely08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number8 View Post
Only problem with Planet Al was his knees and the lockout.

He was fun to watch in Boston -- even if it was only 25 games or so.
Ya gotta love the "skullete". What could have been. That one hurt.

Neely08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 04:42 PM
doc5hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB624 View Post
Yep Jacobs/Sinden/O'connell screwed that up.
I wasn't a fan of trading Shaone Morrisonn at the '04 deadline, and when Gonchar got hurt it quickly became a net loss for the '04 playoffs. Nylander played well, but didn't he also go out of the lineup? Then he signed with the Rangers, as the Bruins were doing nothing but dumping players heading into THE lockout. Pure unadulterated rentals.

Good deadline intentions in '04, but Ray Bourque didn't hesitate saying a Leetch acquisition was the preferable option. Gonchar was a lot better with Pittsburgh four years later, I'll give him that, but I would have been able to swallow the Morrisonn loss a lot easier had a speed guy like Leetch come back instead of a puck-control-only guy like Gonchar.

Old
01-24-2013, 04:52 PM
aic90

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOOKER411 View Post
Was it really $9 million ? If so then yes I would have let him walk too. I still could not have paid Lapointe $5 million.
Oh God what a nightmare that summer was. Let everyone walk and think you will have your picks of all the good FA after the lockout. Well I guess sometimes you gamble and either win or lose but talk about tossing in all your chips with the exception of Thorton and Samsanov which you trade away for a bag of used pucks.
My complaint was not with the decision to let Guerin walk at the time he got his $9m offer from Dallas. Clearly an overpayment - and clearly the right decision at that moment in time. I was furious that management apparently did no contigency planning starting the day that they acquired him from Edmonton. They knew they were filling a hole with his acquisition, and just allowed the hole to open right back up when he got his entirely predictable crazy offer on the FA market. Who didn't see an offer like that coming from a mile away (except MOC)?

Compare though to current management where valuable players are locked up with mostly reasonable long-term contracts BEFORE hitting the open market.

Ah well, water under the bridge at this point...

aic90 is offline   Reply With Quote