HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

roster cut to 33

Closed Thread

Old
09-22-2003, 07:39 AM
pred33fan

vCash: 500
roster cut to 33

Jonas Andersson, Landon Bathe, Libor Pivko, Deins Plantonov, Brandon Segal and Timofei Shishkanov, Aaron Gionet, Timo Helbling, Steven Spencer, Wade Flaherty and Brian Finley have been re-assigned to Milwaukee.

Old
09-22-2003, 07:53 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by pred33fan
Jonas Andersson, Landon Bathe, Libor Pivko, Deins Plantonov, Brandon Segal and Timofei Shishkanov, Aaron Gionet, Timo Helbling, Steven Spencer, Wade Flaherty and Brian Finley have been re-assigned to Milwaukee.
wow, Segal was given a contract, then?

Old
09-22-2003, 07:58 AM
HyperSniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pred33fan
No surprises there

Old
09-22-2003, 09:32 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Shishkanov surprises me a little just so soon before Fiddler, Darche, Simon, Smith, Farrell, Murphy and Hutchinson. Anyway add Haydar and Schabel to that list and you have our roster until Legwand, York, Walker and McKenzie return.

Old
09-22-2003, 10:30 AM
Olaf

I am beginning to think Tootoo may just get at least an early cup of coffee with the Preds. If nothing else to stir up some interest.

He reminds me of Denny Lambert.....with skill. That is a fun guy to watch.

Old
09-22-2003, 10:40 AM
PredsMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman
Shishkanov surprises me a little just so soon before Fiddler, Darche, Simon, Smith, Farrell, Murphy and Hutchinson. Anyway add Haydar and Schabel to that list and you have our roster until Legwand, York, Walker and McKenzie return.
You honestly don't think Haydar has earned a long look?

Old
09-22-2003, 10:51 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsMan
You honestly don't think Haydar has earned a long look?
No, he's too small. He played one game last year and was hurt for 2 weeks, he just doesn't have the body to play in the NHL.

Old
09-22-2003, 11:03 AM
PredsMan

I agree he's small...

but, many a small player have thrived in the NHL...it's just against the odds.

Ronning, Comrie, etc...

Haydar has excelled at EVERY level of hockey he's played. I think he deserves a shot. If we don't give it to him, someone else will...and we might be sick at the results.

Old
09-22-2003, 11:05 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsMan
I agree he's small...

but, many a small player have thrived in the NHL...it's just against the odds.

Ronning, Comrie, etc...

Haydar has excelled at EVERY level of hockey he's played. I think he deserves a shot. If we don't give it to him, someone else will...and we might be sick at the results.
Ronning and Comrie, St. Louis all fast skaters.

I'm not saying Haydar won't make it, I just think he needs to add some weight or speed.

I'd like to be proven wrong.

Old
09-22-2003, 11:06 AM
PredsMan

Point taken.

Old
09-22-2003, 11:14 AM
darth5
Rowsdower!

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman
Ronning and Comrie, St. Louis all fast skaters.

I'm not saying Haydar won't make it, I just think he needs to add some weight or speed.

I'd like to be proven wrong.
This has been my opinion of Haydar all summer. I had hoped in the offseason he might have already worked on his skating and muscled up. He has the instincts and puck-handling skills already.

I guess my only surprise is that they didn't thin the defense corps more. Probably the right move for Shishkanov-- but if he steps it up with the Ads, he may not be up there all season. And I expected Fiddler and Classen to be gone now, too.

If I was a betting man, I would lay my money on Tootoo making the squad. Not too sure about Upshall. At least what we saw in practice and pre-season has not convinced me he is polished enough just yet. Maybe he needs a month or too as an Admiral.

Whether you agree with me on that or not, the Admirals are going to be a vastly improved team this year, without question!

Old
09-22-2003, 11:14 AM
RWS

My gut tells me that whether or not we see Haydar start the season up here depends on how quickly McKenzie recovers. I have the same concerns over Haydar that I had for Upshall when he played up here last season... can we protect him?

That said, I don't think he starts the year here, but will be an early call up if one of the Erat/Tootoo/Upshall types has a rocky start.

Old
09-22-2003, 02:39 PM
Jovavic
The Unnamed Feeling

Finely looked VERY strong on Sunday. He was great in the OT, out on the top of the crease, square to the shooter, making good reflex saves. Looked much better than the last time I saw him, which was at a preseason game last season.

Old
09-22-2003, 04:12 PM
Jarnberg

Yeah Finley sounds like was having a good preseason. Its better for him in Milwaukee though imo. Help his development.

Old
09-22-2003, 04:35 PM
dulzhok

The thing with Haydar is this--- he will have to be in a scoring line position to be productive at the NHL level. I just see no point in giving him a spot on the 4th line wing.

--------------
My beef with small guys and NHL.....

All the time, I hear "Player x has been told all his life that he was too small to play hockey. But, he has proven the critics wrong at every level."

I just don't get that argument. There are COUNTLESS small players who have been successful at the junior level. There are COUNTLESS small players who are succesful at the minor league level. But when it comes to the NHL, the odds really are agaginst the small players. Only a select few will become NHL impact players.

Old
09-22-2003, 07:02 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

completely agree on the 4th line point

I think Finley really needs to play some big minutes for the Admirals. he has had little ice time the past two seasons due to injury, and playing with Milwaukee will prove to Pollie that he is worth the pick, and still has the talent *I hope *

Old
09-22-2003, 07:11 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
I'll go ahead and disagree on the 4th line point. Why can't Haydar be surrounded by talent on that fourth line and produce decent numbers (given the ice time). Maybe we can double shift Legwand here and make him the 4th line center. The 4th line doesn't have to be a goon line. As long as you don't expect 20 goals and 20 assists out of a 4th liner, I see no problems. It will be difficult to get a rhythm here but if it is combined with decent 2nd line PP time, I see no reason Haydar can't garner 11-13 minutes a game. He's not going to develop a whole lot more on the AHL level. He's already proven he's one of the best offensive players (if not the best) in the whole league.

Old
09-22-2003, 07:17 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
I'll go ahead and disagree on the 4th line point. Why can't Haydar be surrounded by talent on that fourth line and produce decent numbers (given the ice time). Maybe we can double shift Legwand here and make him the 4th line center. The 4th line doesn't have to be a goon line. As long as you don't expect 20 goals and 20 assists out of a 4th liner, I see no problems. It will be difficult to get a rhythm here but if it is combined with decent 2nd line PP time, I see no reason Haydar can't garner 11-13 minutes a game. He's not going to develop a whole lot more on the AHL level. He's already proven he's one of the best offensive players (if not the best) in the whole league.
but if he is in a checking role than he risks being hurt and is not given the chance to score. He would need to be 3rd line IMO which is doable, but the 4th line is generally the hit and grind/ checking line. I see what your saying, but I think he would need to be on a non-checking line as he is small.

Old
09-22-2003, 07:19 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
but if he is in a checking role than he risks being hurt and is not given the chance to score. He would need to be 3rd line IMO which is doable, but the 4th line is generally the hit and grind/ checking line. I see what your saying, but I think he would need to be on a non-checking line as he is small.

See, the 4th line doesn't have to be a checking line. It can be a change of pace offensive line. Throw in Legwand at center, Tootoo at the other wing and you have a fun, skilled 4th line. They don't have to be a traditional checking line. Nothing in the rule book about that.

We probably don't even need a true checking line as every line save for maybe the Vowel line can be construed as a checking line.

Old
09-22-2003, 07:25 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
See, the 4th line doesn't have to be a checking line. It can be a change of pace offensive line. Throw in Legwand at center, Tootoo at the other wing and you have a fun, skilled 4th line. They don't have to be a traditional checking line. Nothing in the rule book about that.

We probably don't even need a true checking line as every line save for maybe the Vowel line can be construed as a checking line.
makes sense. My observation is based purely on the chance that the 4th line is a checking line. If it is, then Hayder does not need to be on it, unless he shores up physically.

Old
09-22-2003, 07:33 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
makes sense. My observation is based purely on the chance that the 4th line is a checking line. If it is, then Hayder does not need to be on it, unless he shores up physically.
Agreed on that. But can you imagine the potential. When playing us, teams would have to scrap their traditional 4th lines. Who is going to throw their goons out there against a line with Legwand in the middle? It would shorten our bench by one player but have the potential to shave an entire line off the other team's bench.

Old
09-22-2003, 07:35 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Agreed on that. But can you imagine the potential. When playing us, teams would have to scrap their traditional 4th lines. Who is going to throw their goons out there against a line with Legwand in the middle? It would shorten our bench by one player but have the potential to shave an entire line off the other team's bench.
It is something to think about, but does Leg have the endurance for that?? he was getting 20 mins last year, i'm not sure he could go much more. Still........

Old
09-22-2003, 08:23 PM
sparkle twin
drrrty player

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ozzie X
Finely looked VERY strong on Sunday. He was great in the OT, out on the top of the crease, square to the shooter, making good reflex saves. Looked much better than the last time I saw him, which was at a preseason game last season.
I think he was the only goalie to have shutouts for their time in the nets. Obviously no goals given up in the 5-0 win in Chicago and I don't think he gave up either goal in Columbus on Sunday. Sounds like he did fairly well, I know I didn't expect him to be the one with a shutout after these games (unless he gave up one goal, but still pretty good). Hopefully in Milwaukee he can continue to improve and show us why we drafted him.

On Legwand: He was double shifted a few times during last season. I don't think it was for that long of a time, maybe just a few games, but he was. But for an entire season, who knows.

Old
09-23-2003, 01:07 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Why can't Hall, Hartnell and Murray be the checking line? That would leave Tootoo, Johnson and Haydar, would that work?

Old
09-23-2003, 02:51 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

It could work, but Tootoo is going to be drawing and taking a lot of penalties, so I expect him to be on an agitating type line.

Closed Thread