HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Utica Comets lineup

Old
08-15-2013, 09:16 PM
Numbers

vCash: 500
Utica Comets lineup

Curious to see what everyone thinks Uticas starting lineup will be. Here's my take:

Archibald - Hamill - Jensen
Grenier - Pelletier - Ferriero
Blomstrand - Lain - Mallett
de Fazio - Friesen - Stuart
Anthony

Andersson - Corrado
Tommernes - Mullen
Sauve - Polasek
Blaine - Biega

Eriksson
Cannata

Corrado might make Canucks, but it seems better for his development to play top pairing minutes in AHL, then bottom pairing in NHL. Santorelli could be down here too, but I think he makes the Canucks as 13/14 forward. Lack and Eriksson will battle for Canucks backup job. At this point I predict Lack because his experience on North American ice, but this could change. After hearing feedback that Kenins will be on loan to Europe next year I removed him from lineup.

Last edited by Numbers: 08-17-2013 at 10:52 AM.
Numbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 09:18 PM
synobyte
Canucks Cultist

Kenins will be in Europe for one more year ill post my line up idea in a bit

synobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 09:26 PM
Numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by synobyte View Post
Kenins will be in Europe for one more year ill post my line up idea in a bit
Is there a news posting? Wouldn't make much sense for Canucks to sign him if he wasnt coming to North America. He is 22......

Old
08-15-2013, 09:26 PM
LPH
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
Really hope Polasek sticks in the AHL this year. Really rooting for a strong year from him.

LPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 09:32 PM
embee

Is it a given that Lack is Luongo's backup?

embee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 09:57 PM
Love

Excited to see what Mallet does this year.

Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 09:58 PM
Wisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers View Post
Is there a news posting? Wouldn't make much sense for Canucks to sign him if he wasnt coming to North America. He is 22......
This is known. He had a year on his deal with his current club when he signed with the Canucks. He's on loan to Zurich until next year.

Wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 10:04 PM
MS

Quote:
Curious to see what everyone thinks Uticas starting lineup will be. Here's my take:

Grenier - Pelletier - Ferriero
Blomstrand - Lain - Mallett
Kenins - Friesen - Stuart
de Fazio

Andersson - Corrado
Tommernes - Mullen
Sauve - Polasek
Blaine - Biega

Eriksson
Cannata

Corrado might make Canucks, but it seems better for his development to play top pairing minutes in AHL, then bottom pairing in NHL. Santorelli could be down here too, but I think he makes the Canucks as 13/14 forward.
Quality veteran AHL players will be higher on the depth chart (especially Biega) and fringe prospects like Grenier and Sauve will be lower.

MS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 10:17 PM
Ogie Goldthorpe
Piloted Ogre Hog

I'm expecting Mallett to be the 3rd line center this year... hoping he earns his way up to 2nd line over Pelletier.

Ogie Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 10:51 PM
JoeCool16

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Corrado might make Canucks, but it seems better for his development to play top pairing minutes in AHL, then bottom pairing in NHL.
I usually agree with this for forwards, but I think that if he can play at a decent NHL level, then he'd benefit more from being up here. Even bottom-pairing defensemen still play decent minutes, more than 4th liners (and even some 3rd liners) get by a good few minutes.

The only thing to really consider is the level of competition, and although playing bottom-pairing minutes might mean you'd see a lot of bottom-6 forwards, those are the kind of players that play on top lines in the AHL.

If Corrado is physically and mentally able to take on bottom-pairing duties, I think he benefits by being up.

JoeCool16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 10:59 PM
Numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCool16 View Post
I usually agree with this for forwards, but I think that if he can play at a decent NHL level, then he'd benefit more from being up here. Even bottom-pairing defensemen still play decent minutes, more than 4th liners (and even some 3rd liners) get by a good few minutes.

The only thing to really consider is the level of competition, and although playing bottom-pairing minutes might mean you'd see a lot of bottom-6 forwards, those are the kind of players that play on top lines in the AHL.

If Corrado is physically and mentally able to take on bottom-pairing duties, I think he benefits by being up.
Yes this is true to a certain extent, but ice time is relative to the position. Maybe 14-18 minutes seems like a forward, though a defenceman needs to get used to playing 22+ minutes a game. Also being played in all situations is good expience. I really like Corrado and want to give him time to develop naturally.

Old
08-15-2013, 11:04 PM
Virtanen2Horvat
Tweet@CanucksOnARoll

vCash: 462
So I guess Jensen is our backup for injured players. So if Booth is not ready then Jensen replaces him. Horvat, Shinkaruk and Guance etc. should keep playing in the Juniors/AHL.

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Booth-Kesler-Burrows
Higgins-Schroeder-Hansen
Sestito-Richardson-Weise

Schroeder and Richardson compete for 3C.

EDIT: We can even play Richardson on the wing and just use him for faceoffs.

Richardson-Schroeder-Weise and then play Guance on the third line center or any other rookies giving us more options.

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Booth-Kesler-Burrows
Higgins-Guance-Hansen
Richardson-Schroeder-Weise

You can still switch Guance and Schroeder it really depends if they are ready or not. When I see Guance and Booth sometimes Kassian I see that power and force in them and we need grinding power moving players. I wonder if Horvat or Shinkaruk will ever play for the AHL? they have 2 years until they are 20.

Last edited by Virtanen2Horvat: 08-15-2013 at 11:22 PM.
Virtanen2Horvat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 11:16 PM
LPH
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
This thread is for the AHL lineup

LPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 08:28 AM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaney View Post
Is it a given that Lack is Luongo's backup?
Well, we didn't sign anyone else to fill that role, and he's the most NHL ready goalie in our organization. So unless we see a last minute signing, then yes.

Luck 6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 09:51 AM
JoeCool16

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
Well, we didn't sign anyone else to fill that role, and he's the most NHL ready goalie in our organization. So unless we see a last minute signing, then yes.
Although I agree, I think that there will be a degree of opportunity for Eriksson to win the backup spot in camp, as I haven't heard anything otherwise. If it's close I bet they give it to Lack, but if Eriksson outperforms him I think they advance him directly to backup. It's not like another year in the AHL would hurt Lack (except maybe for his pride)

JoeCool16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 10:20 AM
CP

vCash: 699
I like the defensive depth Utica will provide the Canucks. Corrado, Andersson, and Tommernes should all be capable if needed as call ups. Jensen, Lain, Mallet, and Blomstrand provide some decent depth up front and goalie depth is solid, too.

CP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 12:27 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
Quality veteran AHL players will be higher on the depth chart (especially Biega) and fringe prospects like Grenier and Sauve will be lower.
Is Biega even a quality AHL defender?

I haven't seen him play. I just worry about hoping his production travels with him from Rochester. We've already seen what kassian and hodgson look like in both systems and production wise it is night and day.

I agree Sauve doesn't belong up the lineup, but Grenier has top 6 talent and I'd rather see him there than the 4th line. Waste of a contract if they just want to use him as a checker.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 12:38 PM
PRNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post

I haven't seen him play. I just worry about hoping his production travels with him from Rochester. We've already seen what kassian and hodgson look like in both systems and production wise it is night and day.

I agree Sauve doesn't belong up the lineup, but Grenier has top 6 talent and I'd rather see him there than the 4th line. Waste of a contract if they just want to use him as a checker.
The only bit of info I have here is that just yesterday I read on the Comets website that he wore an A for the Americans in 2011-12. Not much of an indication of skill, but it at least implies he was getting a regular shift.

PRNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 12:48 PM
PRNuck

My shockingly uneducated guess, for funsies:

Pelletier - Mallett - Ferriero
Blomstrand - Lain - de Fazio
Grenier - Friesen - Stuart
Pacan

Andersson - Corrado
Tommernes - Biega
Polasek - Blaine
Guimond - Negrin

Eriksson
Cannata

PRNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 01:15 PM
Callhee
Embrace the hate.

I'm hoping Blomstrand gets a top 6 role in Utica over AHLers like Ferriero, Pelletier. I think Blomstrand has untapped offensive potential, and can turn our to be another Hansen if properly developed.

Callhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 01:42 PM
MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post

I don't know a ton about Biega, but he's been a top-4 AHL defender for a very good AHL team for the past couple seasons. On our really crap AHL defense, that will make him a very key cog.

That blueline is just horribly inexperienced. The other 7 guys aside from Biega who are in the running for spots have played about as many AHL games as Biega *combined*. 115 AHL games between them last year.

And for the record, I'll be surprised if Corrado isn't in the NHL to start next season. Management has talked a ton about the importance of integrating young players and he's the most obvious and most ready guy, and is also on a much cap-friendlier deal than the guys who were #1 picks.

As for Grenier, personally I think very little of him and very much question whether he can play a strong enough 3-zone game to be an AHL regular.

MS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 09:17 PM
forty47seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
And for the record, I'll be surprised if Corrado isn't in the NHL to start next season. Management has talked a ton about the importance of integrating young players and he's the most obvious and most ready guy, and is also on a much cap-friendlier deal than the guys who were #1 picks.
Very true. He would have to have an atrocious camp to not make the opening day roster. At the Summer Summit Gillis said he has 7 defensemen, if you include Chris Tanev, under contract heading into next season. I took that as meaning Hamhuis, Bieksa, Edler, Garrison, Tanev, Corrado, and Weber - with Weber being the spare. Management probably wouldn't have keep him up for the post-season and thus burning a year off his ELC last season if they didn't feel he was ready.

forty47seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2013, 01:25 AM
ZKass The Bass

Kenins is loaned to Zurich next season - after that he can play for our farm club.

ZKass The Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2013, 02:42 AM
Numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZKass The Bass View Post
Kenins is loaned to Zurich next season - after that he can play for our farm club.
Don't understand why Gillis would sign him if he can't even play in AHL next year. Weird decision.

Old
08-17-2013, 03:36 AM
Jevo

Quote:
Don't understand why Gillis would sign him if he can't even play in AHL next year. Weird decision.
Because he believes that can become an NHL player, and he doesn't want to risk someone else signing him before next summer.

Jevo is offline   Reply With Quote