HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Vancouver Whitecaps Thread

Closed Thread

Old
03-02-2013, 07:59 PM
orcatown

vCash: 500
Reo Coker was the difference. Turned the team and the game around. Provided organization were there was none.

Too bad about DeMerit but Rusin looked steady

Very good efforts by Cannon, Lee, Diago, Koffie, O'Brien

Young guys Hurtado and Manneh both showed well. They get any service and they are dangerous. I didn't think that Miller provided much service at all. Also was at the end of plays and could not get his head on the ball or show any finish. Far rather let Camillo have shot at trying to replace Miller.

To me, Davidson is one of those dregs from the past. We always had the likes of Thorrington etc.. and I think the hope should be that we finally get rid of these types of players. Kind of players that lack the pace or talent to do much more than try to cope as best they can, but provide no thrust to the team. In this game Davidson, per usual, continually just made lateral or backward passes ending up with the team just booting the ball around the middle of the field. You see someone like Reo Coker come in and start to make those penetrating passes and you see the massive difference. Nor did Davidson do much to close of players and lanes. He just isn't athletic enough.

I hope they can juggle lineup with Reo Coker to get Davidson out. Thought Watson looked good at the end of last year and good in the preseason. Like to see him get in.

Did not think it was Mattocks best effort

Old
03-02-2013, 08:42 PM
Carl Carlson

I'm pretty happy with the win today. Reo Coker was great. He could be that mid player we've been wanting the past 2 years. I liked Hurtado and Manneh. I think both will be great attacking options as the season wears on. You could see the nerves from both of them but once they settle into the side we'll start to see some real speed and flair going down the flanks. (hope they can cross the ball with accuracy) Diago I like a lot better than Chumiento. He has the same type of flair but can actually do something with it. Miller was ok, made some strong runs to recover possession but going forward he did not stand out at all. He does however make smart runs off the ball so if Reo Coker can find him with a through ball he should get some chances. He should be on a pretty short leash though given the attacking options behind him if he doesn't produce soon he'll be benched. Overall I'm really liking how the team is shaping up. Still needs some tinkering but we are looking solid.

Old
03-02-2013, 08:54 PM
StringerBell

Glad Reo-C impressed in the second half. I only caught the first and wasn't really impressed with the Caps. Good to hear they got it together in the 2nd.

Old
03-02-2013, 09:23 PM
LadyJet26
WHITEOUT

vCash: 50
I'll ask here too.

Best part of BC Place to sit for a Whitecaps game is? Plan on going to the April 13th game against Real Salt Lake while I'm in Vancouver.

Old
03-02-2013, 10:35 PM
gurfling

I was impressed by Kobayashi as well. Seemed to be that attacking threat we were missing last year.

Loved the difference Reo Coker made on the game, very impressed.

Thought I'd be disgusted by Miller, but thought he played allright, showed a lot of effort, think he's better playing behind a Mattocks instead of having him up front.

Also agree with another poster, I can't wait for Davidson to not play, he just kills the flow going forward. I don't mind having him as depth, but I don't want to see him playing regularly.

Old
03-02-2013, 11:05 PM
WinterEmpire
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanucksnWpg View Post
I'll ask here too.

Best part of BC Place to sit for a Whitecaps game is? Plan on going to the April 13th game against Real Salt Lake while I'm in Vancouver.
Atmosphere? South end

View? Pretty much anywhere is good, but of course mid centre is the best

Old
03-03-2013, 03:26 AM
Derp Kassian

I like these Kits actually,the baby blue adds pop on the socks and neck.

Old
03-03-2013, 11:06 AM
LongRoad

I'll disagree with the consensus on Miller. I thought he worked hard and looked happy. I think he fits well sitting in the hole. Whether he can keep it up, who knows, but I was impressed with his effort.

Old
03-03-2013, 11:18 AM
Alan Jackson

Obviously, the three points are what's important, and keeping a clean sheet was nice, too.

I would have liked to see have seen the team a little sharper, and another goal or two would have been nice - TFC are not a good side.

The difference was Reo-Coker, and the Caps certainly looked better once he came on. I think before that, the team was relying too much on our obvious pace up front - just knocking balls downfield in the hopes that somebody could run on to it. We looked much more dangerous once we started playing passes through the middle of the park and maintaining possession.

I do wonder a little bit about the decision to start DeMerit. He'd been bothered with that achilles most of the pre-season, and you wonder if another week or two off might have made a difference. I know he's the captain and he wants to play, but you don't want to be having to make substitutions that early in the match.

Overall, solid start. I couldn't attend yesterday, but I plan on going Saturday. I hope the weather stays nice and they open the roof. Not holding my breath.

Old
03-03-2013, 12:24 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

First game of the season, so it wasn't going to be perfect. A lot of nervous energy from Manneh and Hurtado, but they'll settle down. Kobayashi & Reo-Coker looked great.

It was a pretty unimpressive game from an entertainment standpoint, and it was the kind of game the Caps found a way to lose or tie in the past two seasons. Happy they showed the resolve to push the pace in the final 30 minutes; they pretty much had the ball for the entire final 10 minutes.

03-03-2013, 01:00 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongRoad View Post
I'll disagree with the consensus on Miller. I thought he worked hard and looked happy. I think he fits well sitting in the hole. Whether he can keep it up, who knows, but I was impressed with his effort.
The reaction was mostly from the 1st half, where the play died on his feet every time.

He played better in the 2nd.

His work ethic tho was very good, He was running miles

Old
03-03-2013, 10:08 PM
LongRoad

One quick word that I do think TFC looked a hell of a lot better than they have since I've been watching. I don't know if it was early ambition, but it seems like the pieces are much better too.

Old
03-04-2013, 02:23 AM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmyheadhurts View Post
TSN announcers really like TFC. Like, that's all they've talked about.
Wileman and DeVos host TSN FC in Toronto so you can't blame them too much but they are both very intelligent about the game of soccer and I will never complain about those two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
Kenny miller is the worst ****ing player I have ever seen in my life
I never understood in MLS circles why there is this trend of putting once fantastic poachers in a #10 role when they are too slow to challenge up front. New position for the first time in their career, using completely different set of skills, yeah that'll end well. Also the SPL is below MLS so if you're too old for their you're too old for here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
Hurtado is like a spitfire bug.

Love the effort, clear nerves.
I've heard him described as a bowling ball. I agree, LOVE the effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Carlson View Post
I'm pretty happy with the win today. Reo Coker was great. He could be that mid player we've been wanting the past 2 years. I liked Hurtado and Manneh. I think both will be great attacking options as the season wears on. You could see the nerves from both of them but once they settle into the side we'll start to see some real speed and flair going down the flanks. (hope they can cross the ball with accuracy) Diago I like a lot better than Chumiento. He has the same type of flair but can actually do something with it. Miller was ok, made some strong runs to recover possession but going forward he did not stand out at all. He does however make smart runs off the ball so if Reo Coker can find him with a through ball he should get some chances. He should be on a pretty short leash though given the attacking options behind him if he doesn't produce soon he'll be benched. Overall I'm really liking how the team is shaping up. Still needs some tinkering but we are looking solid.
I completely agree with the 'mento - Daigo comparison. Davidé was the most skilled player with the ball I've ever seen in person. Unfortunately that didn't always translate onto the field. The biggest thing was his inability to shoot the ball, which I found crazy considering the things he was able to do with a soccer ball. Kobe seems to have some trickery but definitely shows it on the pitch. I don't think he'll be as good as Valeri was tonight Portland but I look for him to occupy the #10 spot once Rennie sees Miller can't offer too much from a starting role.

On Miller, he kind of seems to be our version of Marco DeVio from the Impact when he plays up top. Either offside or covered.

Quote:
One quick word that I do think TFC looked a hell of a lot better than they have since I've been watching. I don't know if it was early ambition, but it seems like the pieces are much better too.
New coach syndrome, usually last about 7-8 games in the world of soccer. Bekker did look really good being thrown into the deep end but the team isn't anything special and should pile up the losses again.

As long as they don't sweep in and take the Canadian Championship again..

Old
03-04-2013, 10:44 AM
Alan Jackson

Ouch. DeMerit out 6-8 months with fully ruptured achilles.

That's going to be a long road back for a player his age.

Old
03-04-2013, 10:46 AM
KDizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Jackson View Post
Ouch. DeMerit out 6-8 months with fully ruptured achilles.

That's going to be a long road back for a player his age.
Just saw that. Brutal.

If anybody's interested in the source:
https://twitter.com/ProvinceWeber/st...16776864911361

Old
03-04-2013, 10:54 AM
WinterEmpire
Unregistered User

Well, on the bright side, he might be back for the playoffs

Old
03-04-2013, 11:07 AM
phillipsj89

First game jitters, There will be more goals! the potential is there.

I really hope this team can win the Canadian champ this year. I would love to see some Champs league action

Old
03-04-2013, 11:08 AM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Damn, that sucks for Demerit.

He's such a good face for the franchise; it's too bad he just isn't able to stay healthy.

Old
03-04-2013, 02:07 PM
LongRoad

Yeesh. You have to have some discipline as a manager not to let him on the field when he's not there yet. Maybe its only a matter of hindsight but this seems like it should have been a pretty easy call.

Old
03-04-2013, 02:12 PM
Crows*

Is reo Coker still good enough to play in the epl?

Old
03-04-2013, 02:28 PM
phillipsj89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crows View Post
Is reo Coker still good enough to play in the epl?
the consensus is yes, but no-one wanted to take a chance cause he has a history of attitude issues.

Old
03-04-2013, 05:04 PM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Yeesh. You have to have some discipline as a manager not to let him on the field when he's not there yet. Maybe its only a matter of hindsight but this seems like it should have been a pretty easy call.
No I think you're right to be critical of the decision. I thought Rusin was going to pair up with OB for the first game and considering it was against TFC it wasn't a big concern. I'm sure Jay wanted to be out there to lead his team but he really had no business being on the pitch considering he hadn't even been able to take in a pre-season match and only really got in a couple days of training after picking up the knock early in preseason.

I guess enter Leveron. I wonder if this puts an end to a potential loan deal for Mitchell. (Mitchell > Rochat at CB)

Old
03-04-2013, 09:16 PM
CorbeauNoir

Hah, had no idea there would be a proper Whitecaps thread on HB. Looks like I'll be visiting the Canucks forum more than I ever imagined

Old
03-05-2013, 10:01 AM
JBIZ14

Cant wait to sit with the Curva when Im out in May for the Portland match....

Old
03-05-2013, 10:39 AM
mr gib

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBIZ14 View Post
Cant wait to sit with the Curva when Im out in May for the Portland match....

very well done ...

Closed Thread