HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

Phoenix Rec hockey

Old
11-24-2012, 11:20 AM
Jamieh

vCash: 500
Phoenix Rec hockey

I am a mid 40's guy who spends most of winter on the West side of Phoenix. Wondering if someone could suggest somewhere I could find a regular game of hockey from Jan-Apr. I am willing to join a team or be a spare for a team. Also willing to travel anywhere in Phoenix area. Although Canadian I am not star hockey material but am not a slouch either. Just want to play for fun so non-contact is my thing. Thanks for any help.

Jamieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 11:59 AM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

Polar Ice Peoria will be your closest bet. They have a few options, it's the middle of the season so you may have to find a team that needs a person or a spare if you want to do an actual league.

On Saturday nights they have I-league, which is about 45 minutes of drills followed by 30 minutes of scrimmage. A lot of people from the different league teams go there, so you might be able to meet someone who is looking for a player.

They do have open hockey around 11:45am M-F. Not much on the weekends or evenings.

Oceanside in Tempe and Arcadia in Phoenix both have more open hockey sessions if you'd like that.

TickleMeYandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 03:40 PM
Jamieh

Thanks for the info, I will check into this when I get to AZ.

Jamieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 06:19 PM
usa99

Hi. Im kinda new to this site, but I was wondering how much new hockey gear is? Im new to the sport and I would like to know what an estimate would be for new gear head to toe?

usa99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 06:41 PM
Vip
Das it mane

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownquestion View Post
Polar Ice Peoria will be your closest bet. They have a few options, it's the middle of the season so you may have to find a team that needs a person or a spare if you want to do an actual league.

On Saturday nights they have I-league, which is about 45 minutes of drills followed by 30 minutes of scrimmage. A lot of people from the different league teams go there, so you might be able to meet someone who is looking for a player.

They do have open hockey around 11:45am M-F. Not much on the weekends or evenings.

Oceanside in Tempe and Arcadia in Phoenix both have more open hockey sessions if you'd like that.
Chris is that you?

Vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 06:47 PM
Vip
Das it mane

Quote:
Originally Posted by usa99 View Post
Hi. Im kinda new to this site, but I was wondering how much new hockey gear is? Im new to the sport and I would like to know what an estimate would be for new gear head to toe?
New hockey gear is going to be pretty expensive, depending on how nice of gear you buy.

Skates: $100-$700
Helmet: $60-$120
Sticks: $40-$250
Gloves: $40-$200
Shins: $30-$120
Pants: $50-$150
etc.

Back when I was playing competitive travel hockey, I always bought my stuff on the internet from Hockey Giant. I found that to be the cheapest way to get stuff.

You can probly find used gear somewhere but i haven't been living in Phoenix for about 3 years now.

Old
01-09-2013, 07:39 PM
doaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipassana View Post
New hockey gear is going to be pretty expensive, depending on how nice of gear you buy.

Skates: $100-$700
Helmet: $60-$120
Sticks: $40-$250
Gloves: $40-$200
Shins: $30-$120
Pants: $50-$150
etc.

Back when I was playing competitive travel hockey, I always bought my stuff on the internet from Hockey Giant. I found that to be the cheapest way to get stuff.

You can probly find used gear somewhere but i haven't been living in Phoenix for about 3 years now.
Behind the mask has deals if you buy the set. Out the door with a few upgrades, I paid just under 500. All new gear.

doaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 07:54 PM
Vip
Das it mane

Quote:
Originally Posted by doaner View Post
Behind the mask has deals if you buy the set. Out the door with a few upgrades, I paid just under 500. All new gear.
I forgot about that. I still found it cheaper to go on the internet though.

Old
01-09-2013, 08:03 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipassana View Post
Chris is that you?
Nope, I'm not Chris.

TickleMeYandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 01:50 PM
Basher
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Basher Send a message via MSN to Basher Send a message via Skype™ to Basher
In Nashville, this has pretty much become the go-to place for used gear. I searched the interwebz and found a couple stores in the Phoenix area.

http://www.playitagainsports.com/locations/list/AZ

Moving to Phx in a few weeks and plan on getting into the hockey scene as well. Going to live downtown so seems like Arcadia may be my best starting off.

Basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 03:35 PM
DirtyOldMan
Yotes still in AZ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basher View Post
Moving to Phx in a few weeks and plan on getting into the hockey scene as well. Going to live downtown so seems like Arcadia may be my best starting off.
You can occasionally find hockey stuff at Mass Closeouts, 3416 E Thomas (a little west of Arcadia). I got some clearance one-piece sticks there dirt cheap within the last 3 years or so.

DirtyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote