HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

colorado goaltending?

Closed Thread

Old
09-22-2003, 07:49 AM
puckstopper55

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to puckstopper55
colorado goaltending?

hey, i been without a computer for a little while and i was just wondering whats going on in colorado with their goatending situation. as far as i know they didnt get cujo and it wont happen for a while if it does, so who is going to be their #1? any ideas??

Old
09-22-2003, 08:02 AM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Most likely scenario:

Unless Pierre Lacroix has a deal that he just cannot refuse on the table, then I think the Aebischer/Sauve tandem are going to get themselves at least 40 games or so to prove their stuff.

Right now it's a buyer's market for goaltenders, especially after Boston signed Potvin. However Lacroix overplays his hand if he waits too long and the unproven duo digs the Avs into too deep of a hole.

Old
09-22-2003, 08:08 AM
Cup

I think Khabibulin ends up in Colorado before the end of November.

Old
09-22-2003, 08:11 AM
wazee

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckstopper55
hey, i been without a computer for a little while and i was just wondering whats going on in colorado with their goatending situation. as far as i know they didnt get cujo and it wont happen for a while if it does, so who is going to be their #1? any ideas??
There is nothing new on the Avs goalie front at all. Aebischer has played one half of one game so far in the preseason. He did not allow any goals. At the moment for public consumption, the Avs are maintaining that they have faith in Aebischer and that he will be their starting goalie. I would guess that, behind the scenes, they are looking...but they have no reason to be in a panic about it.

The Avs will wait for the Cujo situation to get resolved. If they can pick him up for nothing on waivers, that may be the answer. Otherwise, they will take a look at who becomes available during the season. I am guessing they will have a new goalie by Christmas. But if the Avs are scoring enough goals to stay high in the standings, they might be able to wait until the deadline...

Old
09-22-2003, 08:39 AM
Trottier
Very Random

...or longer. Aebischer is yet to prove he is capable of #1 duties over the course of an entire regular season, let alone come playoff time. However, why is it simply assumed that he will fail? He certainly has not had ample time to prove that, either.

Unlike a few people here, who make it sound like the Avs have some blind 80 y/o grandmother in net and are desperate to add an $8M gorilla contract to their payroll, I believe Lacroix is going to give Aebischer every opportunity (read: time) possible to succeed. On a veteran team stacked with talent, he can afford to do so for quite awhile. And, as mentioned, the Wings are the team in the compromised position, why would the Avs or any other team take their problem (Jospeh) off their hands right now, when they have no desperate goaltending void? Likewise, what team is going to add $8M to their payroll right before the start of the season? (Rhetorical questions.)

Old
09-22-2003, 10:32 AM
Irish Blues

vCash: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by puckstopper55
If you believe any of the proposals being floated here, LaCroix will be on the phone trying to get Peter Ing or Alain Chevalier in net by the All-Star Break should Aebischer and Sauve not get the job done.

09-22-2003, 10:45 AM
The Frugal Gourmet

Aebischer will probably do fine.

He only has the best forward line-up and top a 5 defense in front of him...

Old
09-22-2003, 12:13 PM
Sotnos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cup4Wings
I think Khabibulin ends up in Colorado before the end of November.
and what are you basing that on, exactly?

Old
09-22-2003, 12:14 PM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotnos
and what are you basing that on, exactly?
Same as his nickname.. wet dreams..

Old
09-22-2003, 01:59 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
...or longer. Aebischer is yet to prove he is capable of #1 duties over the course of an entire regular season, let alone come playoff time. However, why is it simply assumed that he will fail? He certainly has not had ample time to prove that, either.

Unlike a few people here, who make it sound like the Avs have some blind 80 y/o grandmother in net and are desperate to add an $8M gorilla contract to their payroll, I believe Lacroix is going to give Aebischer every opportunity (read: time) possible to succeed. On a veteran team stacked with talent, he can afford to do so for quite awhile. And, as mentioned, the Wings are the team in the compromised position, why would the Avs or any other team take their problem (Jospeh) off their hands right now, when they have no desperate goaltending void? Likewise, what team is going to add $8M to their payroll right before the start of the season? (Rhetorical questions.)
but i Heard he is only worht a 9th rounder, if the opposing team is generous

Old
09-22-2003, 02:36 PM
monkey_00*

Here's a name that nobody really seems to be bringing up as a possible Colorado Goalie..........How about Byron Dafoe?........He's over in Atlanta right now and they already have a great young Goalie over there and I feel if they offered Atlanta Alex Tanguay and a good young prospect that just might be enough to pry Dafoe away from there.........what do you all think?

Old
09-22-2003, 03:00 PM
#37-#93-#27*

Send a message via AIM to #37-#93-#27*
my guess is Cujo will be picked up off waivers

Old
09-22-2003, 03:44 PM
wazee

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey_00
Here's a name that nobody really seems to be bringing up as a possible Colorado Goalie..........How about Byron Dafoe?........He's over in Atlanta right now and they already have a great young Goalie over there and I feel if they offered Atlanta Alex Tanguay and a good young prospect that just might be enough to pry Dafoe away from there.........what do you all think?
I think you missed the fact that Alex Tanguay was totally unproductive last year under Hartley. Aside from that, I am not a big Dafoe fan. And I am not convinced the Avs are going to have to trade a top 6 forward to get a goalie.

Old
09-22-2003, 03:52 PM
wazee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
but i Heard he is only worht a 9th rounder, if the opposing team is generous
That is still bugging you, isn't it? Why don't you try it out on the trades and rumors board? Ask people what they think the Avs could get for Aebischer right now.

I said that Aebischer has absolutely NO trade value, and I stand by it. Career backup goalies can be had off the waiver wire every year. There will be a couple there again this year.

I have no faith at all in Aebischer...and I do not believe he will be the Avs goalie after the trade deadline or after Christmas, for that matter. Hopefully, the Avs can score enough goals so they will not be forced to trade from a position of weakness.

Old
09-22-2003, 05:13 PM
XX
... Waiting

Burke at christmas

Old
09-22-2003, 05:21 PM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierX
Burke at christmas
Are you offering him as a present?

Old
09-22-2003, 06:28 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazee
That is still bugging you, isn't it? Why don't you try it out on the trades and rumors board? Ask people what they think the Avs could get for Aebischer right now.
more than a 9th rounder....i would think, even if he was a 'proven' career backup

Old
09-22-2003, 06:53 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensane
Are you offering him as a present?
Thats PLs present to the fans at that time because the Avs will be in the same situation early on like last year.

Aebischer is not going to cut it
and your sure as hell not going to win a cup with a rookie like him either.

Old
09-22-2003, 08:16 PM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierX
Thats PLs present to the fans at that time because the Avs will be in the same situation early on like last year.

Aebischer is not going to cut it
and your sure as hell not going to win a cup with a rookie like him either.
Thanks for sharing your opinion.

And btw - Aebischer's not a rookie.

Old
09-22-2003, 08:44 PM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
Thanks for sharing your opinion.

And btw - Aebischer's not a rookie.
Turco is a better goalie than Aebischer and you could still see a little case of the jitters in his first playoffs. Kariya also only signed to a
one-year contract(at a very good price) making a sense of urgency for a hard all out push for the cup.The Av's really need to get a vet goalie if only for this yr. I believe Aebischer is starting material but no way are you winning a cup on his back this yr.

Old
09-22-2003, 09:13 PM
wazee

Quote:
more than a 9th rounder....i would think, even if he was a 'proven' career backup
Would you feel all better if I had said Aebischer was worth a 6th round pick?

Since you disagree with my assessment, what would you say Aebischer's trade value is?

Old
09-22-2003, 10:07 PM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Quote:

Since you disagree with my assessment, what would you say Aebischer's trade value is?
I'll step in.

Based on hype alone--and we all know how well PL plays these "hype" trades--Aebischer would at least get the Avs a 2nd rounder and some. Now that's JUST based on trading value.

Old
09-23-2003, 02:56 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:

late second or 3rd rounder. Look at Hedberg. I'm not comparing the two, but it se t a precedent for about what goalie's cost. Cechmanek went for a 2nd. Denis back in the day went for a second.

Old
09-23-2003, 09:05 AM
wazee

Quote:
I'll step in.

Based on hype alone--and we all know how well PL plays these "hype" trades--Aebischer would at least get the Avs a 2nd rounder and some. Now that's JUST based on trading value.
Well...I have no doubt that Lacroix's continued assertions that Aebischer is the Avs starting goalie and that the Avs have confidence in him is indeed 'hype'. But, unlike you, I do not think that the other GMs in the league are going to fall for it, nor do I think they have in the past.

In all of the major deadline deals PL has made, he has given up good value in return for the player he wanted. Fluery cost the Avs Regehr, Bourque cost Rolston, Blake cost Deadmarsh, Miller, Aulin, and a couple of 1st. I do not buy into the poplular notion that Pierre Lacroix robs the other teams blind. IMO, Pierre Lacroix makes the deals that gives the Avs the best chance to win every year. I give him full marks for that.

But to get a second rounder for a backup goalie who had a bad year last year and has never stepped up in a pressure situation would test the powers of Obi-Wan Kenobi.

Quote:
late second or 3rd rounder. Look at Hedberg. I'm not comparing the two, but it se t a precedent for about what goalie's cost. Cechmanek went for a 2nd. Denis back in the day went for a second.
Hedberg and Cechmanek set the precedent for what a STARTING goalie cost. Aebischer is not a starting goalie. Hedberg has several full seasons under his belt and was spectacular in the playoffs the year before last. Cechmanek has been an excellent regular season goalie who was hung out to dry by his team in the playoffs. They have both proven they can take a team to the playoffs and have stepped up their game in the playoffs. Aebischer has not proven he can handle the pressure of being a starting goalie in the NHL. He has never stepped up under pressure. He is coming off a poor year. IMO, that makes him closer in value to Shields then Hedberg.

Look at it this way…if you were a GM and you needed a starting goalie, would you trade for Aebischer? I would not because Aebischer is not, at this point, a starting goalie.

And I would not give up a 2nd rounder for a backup goalie when I could pick one up in the waiver draft for free.

Old
09-23-2003, 09:45 AM
DarioinDenver

Quote:
But to get a second rounder for a backup goalie who had a bad year last year and has never stepped up in a pressure situation would test the powers of Obi-Wan Kenobi.
Do you base this on statistical analysis or watching him play? I'm curious why you believe he had a bad year.

This type of discussion should be a reoccuring theme during the season. I suspect it will mutate into a "wait until the playoffs start" doom and gloom prediction. Abby will do just fine in the regular season, in fact he may be very good with some impressive numbers. The question is and will always be with any goaltender, does he have "it" in the playoffs. You simply never know until the goaltender gets in that situation. He has the supporting cast, the attitude and the physical ability to do well in my opinion.

Closed Thread