BigG44

vCash: 475
DAL trades Conditional Pick to PIT for Carl Sneep

TRADE

Dallas gets Carl Sneep

Pittsburgh gets Conditional (7th round) Pick

Quote:
Pittsburgh Penguins ‏@penguins

NEWS ALERT: #Pens have acquired a conditional draft pick from the Dallas Stars in exchange for defenseman Carl Sneep http://pens.pe/W2wCIx
Quote:
Carl Sneep

Date of birth: November 05, 1987
Place of birth: St. Louis Park, MN
Ht: 6-4 Wt: 210
Shoots: R
Drafted by Pittsburgh in 2006 (2/32).
He's on a 1 year, two-way, contract paying him $575,000 ($67,500 AHL). Since he's 25 years old, and he's only played 1 NHL game, he'll likely be a Group 6 UFA even though he's slotted to be a RFA right now.

Here are the conditions of the trade:

Quote:
The Penguins will receive the Stars' seventh-round pick in the 2013 Draft if Sneep plays 10 or more regular-season games with Dallas.

Last edited by BigG44: 01-24-2013 at 01:30 PM.
BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 09:40 AM
BigG44

Stars announce the conditional pick is a 7th which probably means they've acquired him for nothing.

Quote:
Dallas Stars ‏@DallasStars

The #Stars announce the acquisition of Carl Sneep from the Pittsburgh Penguins in exchange for a conditional 7th round draft pick
PIT probably just needed to shed a contract, and this provides some defensive depth in Austin. Not really a move that impacts DAL. I'd guess the conditional part of the deal is him playing some NHL games which seems unlikely. It could also be him re-signing though.

Old
01-24-2013, 09:44 AM
BigG44

Oh man .... this scouting report made me laugh. I know several of you will enjoy it. This is from a Penguin's fan blog about AHL prospects over the summer:

Quote:
Comparable: Jeff Woywitka

Assets: Puck moving, skates well, NHL-conditioned physically

Could improve: Defensive coverage, offensive polish

Projected: Sneep has a high ceiling of NHL potential, but injuries and the numbers game have kept him out of the discussion by many. His size and frame is of NHL caliber already, but he needs to keep working on his defensive zone game in order to graduate full-time. He has #4 – #6 potential or could end up being a very good depth defenseman.

Old
01-24-2013, 09:46 AM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Is he better than Tyler Sloan?

Frozen Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 09:52 AM
The Frugal Gourmet

vCash: 500
Cup.

Is.

Ours.

The Frugal Gourmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 09:56 AM
TrillMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Oh man .... this scouting report made me laugh. I know several of you will enjoy it. This is from a Penguin's fan blog about AHL prospects over the summer:
O jeez. lol.

TrillMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 09:58 AM
piqued
Global Moderator
go

vCash: 27750
Well something had to be done about the woeful defensive depth. By making a trade instead of a waiver claim you retain the flexibility to send him up or down depending on need and performance. The pick won't be missed.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 10:06 AM
BigG44

Here's some more info on him. Inside Pittsburgh Sports listed him as a breakout candidate for 2012-13.

Quote:
Carl Sneep
Age 24
Born: 11-5-1987,
Height: 6-4 Weight: 210 lbs
Position: Defense Shoots: R
2006 2nd round draft pick
2011-2012 Stats: 34 GP | 0 Goals - 9 Assists - 9 Points -+6 rating | 21 PIM
2012-2013 Team: Wilkes Barre/Scranton Penguins (AHL)

Breakout Candidate: Carl Sneep is entering a crucial season in his professional career and if he stays healthy, many inside the organization feel he is primed to make that next step. Sneep, 24, made his NHL debut in December and had an assist in the Penguins 8-3 win against Buffalo. Sneep though was lost for the season soon after, appearing in just 34 games for Wilkes Barre last season. Sneep has the size, skating and physical traits that teams covet in blueliners but he's never been a dominating defenseman at the AHL or college ranks. Don't be surprised if that changes this season in Wilkes Barre.

Scouting Report:
-Strong skating ability, moves the puck well.
- Good positioning, uses his size well
- Plays more physical than he is given credit for and clears the front of the net effectively
- Does well in 1-on-1 situations and uses his speed to his advantage which makes him difficult to beat outside
- Is a good puck distributor but the stats have never matched the talent.
Also, Lyle Richardson is saying this move was to open up a contract for Eaton.

Old
01-24-2013, 10:16 AM
Arpi3080
Everybody be cool!

the missing piece for our cup run!

Arpi3080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 10:19 AM
BigG44

The one thing this does help with is if Dallas calls up a defender from the AHL, Texas would still have 7 D. Sneep gives the AHL team 8 right now.

I would assume Labrie and Coyle are relegated to the booth or ECHL since they've been rotating as the 6th D.

Old
01-24-2013, 10:51 AM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Precursor to another deal, maybe?

I don't mind this deal, can't hurt. The last time we traded a 7th, (I think) we got Nik Hagman.

And that didn't work out too shabby.

01-24-2013, 11:06 AM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
good luck Sneep. he blows. but he's got a hilariously endearing name. i hope you guys enjoy making fun of him as much as we did. seriously we had a blast with this guy:

Quote:
what's the world coming to when you can get Alexander Alekseevich Pechursky updates but can't find a single Carl Sneep update?
Quote:
i hope these polls don't stop at 20. i'd like to see everyone, even Carl Sneep, get ranked.
Quote:
i'd expect this kind of discussion regarding Sneep but not Bennett. i guess it's all about prognosticating the next bust, so you can prove you know more than the experts. i worry about those types. they might pull a muscle patting themselves on the back.
Quote:
Sneep is the mystery man: at 2(32) will he be the biggest bust of GMRS's tenure. he scored a 29 on his ACT. i had an ex who got a perfect score while she had mono. that doesn't bode well for Sneep, but his 6-4 will always remain intriguing. if you read this far, you know i'm bored and just like typing out the word Sneep. Sneep. imagine the Mike Lange calls: "Carl with the sneepy poke-check." imagine Errey: "off the rush, it looks like Carl was a-sneep on that play."
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldNewLettuce View Post
That's what the op gets for using "Sneep" if that is his real name.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Crafton View Post
what the sneep are you talking about. are you insinuating that Carl Sneep is an impostor. why the sneep does the mention of his name as someone who could sneepily play bottom-pairing minutes offend you. Sneep has a tremendous pedigree and while his development has been a tad sneepish there's no reason to use the mere mention of his name as a launching pad to reference a ragged and persneepity assemblage of underwhelming prospects as the mothersneeping best prospect pool in the league. frankly sir, you don't know sneep about sneep.

Crafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 11:10 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
Precursor to another deal, maybe?

I don't mind this deal, can't hurt. The last time we traded a 7th, (I think) we got Nik Hagman.

And that didn't work out too shabby.
I really don't think you'll see Dallas give up the 7th. This certainly looks to be the type of conditional deal where they are set so that no picks change hands.

As far as a precursor ... I doubt it. They don't have really any AHL depth behind Coyle and Labrie, and those two were already rotating as the 6th D. One injury or one NHL call up and you are close to being in a precarious position. This just gives them additional depth in Texas.

I'd say major injuries would have to hit for Sneep to get an NHL shot. He's probably firmly behind Oleksiak and Nemeth. It's possible but not a given Dallas would give Sloan and Fortunus a shot first as well. Fortunus has experience in Dallas, and Sloan has 99 games under his belt in the NHL.

Old
01-24-2013, 11:12 AM
davemess

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
PIT probably just needed to shed a contract
Mark Eaton signed a PTO with the Baby Penguins today so thats probably correct.

davemess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 11:34 AM
Cin
Eurosnob.

vCash: 558
Well we needed the depth down here, but I've never seen anything positive on the guy.

Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 11:41 AM
Fly Like a C5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
Well we needed the depth down here, but I've never seen anything positive on the guy.
He's not Cam Barker? That's got to be a positive. Right?

Fly Like a C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 11:44 AM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Like a C5 View Post
He's not Cam Barker? That's got to be a positive. Right?
If he gets playing time over players like Labrie I think it's a bad move.

Old
01-24-2013, 12:02 PM
Fly Like a C5

Quote:
Sneep has spent most of this season in the ECHL. He's only played in 1 AHL game this year. I could see him push Coyle back to Idaho, but I don't see him being much more than insurance against injuries or a NHL call-up.

Fly Like a C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 12:05 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Like a C5 View Post
Sneep has spent most of this season in the ECHL. He's only played in 1 AHL game this year. I could see him push Coyle back to Idaho, but I don't see him being much more than insurance against injuries or a NHL call-up.
That's what I figured, just really hope it stays that way

Old
01-24-2013, 12:06 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Quote:
Ehhh... I like Labrie but Sneep's apparently a pretty average AHL defenseman with puck skills. Not sold on Coyle. Definitely not sold on Sloan.

Oleksiak-Nemeth
Fortunus-Labrie/Sneep
Sneep/Labrie-Coyle
Sloan
Baldwin

Frozen Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 12:26 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Pens fan here.
He couldn't crack the roster in WBS and we need roster spots, so that's the reasoning. Still hurts to see an early 2nd rounder be given away for free.

I wish him all the best...always liked the guy, but his game only took a couple steps forward in college and stalled out as a pro. That's the danger with drafting potential offensive defensemen out of lesser leagues...if their offensive game doesn't transition then you're just left with a guy who can't play offense or defense.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 12:27 PM
Burgs

Sneep was drafted so high on the recommendation of the Pens' Minnesota-based scout Chuck Grillo (who knew the state's high schools inside out and also found Goligoski). Tall, strong, good skater for his size, pretty smart kid too. Had a solid career at Boston College and won two NCAA championships with them. But as a pro he never took the next step and never developed one real strong point in his game. So he got lost in the shuffle and wound up in the ECHL this season. A free pickup for you guys but I wouldn't expect more than AHL depth at this point in his career.

Burgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 01:30 PM
BigG44

Here are the conditions of the trade:

Quote:
The Penguins will receive the Stars' seventh-round pick in the 2013 Draft if Sneep plays 10 or more regular-season games with Dallas.
So that's highly unlikely.

Old
01-24-2013, 01:37 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
Yea, that ain't happenin.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is online now   Reply With Quote