HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Well poop: Sabres win 2-1

Closed Thread

Old
01-21-2013, 10:04 PM
MakeTheIronSing

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Viper View Post
Scrivens lost, now it's Reimer's chance
He's let in 3 goals in 2 games.

Not bad.

Old
01-21-2013, 10:05 PM
EDDIE20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Believe View Post
Very happy to have Gardiner back next game
I hope he's on the ice for the next one. We're playing Pittsburgh.

Old
bunjay

Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post
Kadri has always been ready.....he was used by Wilson when he was called up as a 3rd line checker for the most part and always on the wall. You remember when they said he caused two many give aways in his rookie camp.....he lead the team in scoring and plus minus that pre season. If you listen to Wilson who I never did......he was easy to knock off the puck, did not play well defensively....etc. No Hunter coached player is ever not going to understand the game away from the puck....that was pure BS.
Pre-season? Really? Kadri has always been ready? Really? He was being physically pushed around, overhandled the puck, had a ton of turnovers, and failed to impress when given PP time. He just wasn't ready. Period. It was so painfully obvious, I hated Wilson as much as anybody but he was right on that one.

A lot of people on here seem to think that if only Kadri had been put on the first line and played 20 minutes a night he would have shown he was ready. Wrong. He was being given sheltered minutes like just about every team does with their prospects. Remember when Tyler Seguin was playing on the third line and getting benched/scratched? And he's better than Kadri. What you don't seem to understand is that it takes a VERY special player at 18-20 years of age to play on a first line. You know who first lines play against? Top defensive matchups.

If Kadri is ready for the NHL now, it takes a certain kind of dumbass to then say "see? he was ready the whole time!" That's not how it works. If he keeps playing like he has these first two games, it's not DESPITE all the time he spent in the AHL. It's BECAUSE of it.

Old
HeroNtF

If Reimer is in against Pittsburg that could be a horror story waiting to happen for his confidence.

I'd like to see Scrivens back in net with a stronger D-line infront of him.

Old
Leafs For Life*

Phaneuf should be a politician, such a great public speaker.

Old
cup67
HAIL TO OUR LEADER

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Amazing Ralph View Post
would you trade Kulemin in a Luongo trade?

I am not advocating it, I'm just asking

what if the price was Kulemin + someone like Percy

edit: and i'm not even mad at our goaltending, i'm just genuinely curious
luongo would of had 3 goals against tonight.

the trade thats to much way to much.

kulemin +grabo to pitts
for
sutter+++

Old
Warden of the North
Global Moderator
hmmmmmmm

Did Ville Leino play tonight?

Old
01-21-2013, 10:06 PM
Pi

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Amazing Ralph View Post
would you trade Kulemin in a Luongo trade?

I am not advocating it, I'm just asking

what if the price was Kulemin + someone like Percy

edit: and i'm not even mad at our goaltending, i'm just genuinely curious
I don't mind having Luongo...his contract is not a good one though.

It really disables us from getting better from the UFA market. What if Perry wants to play close to home?

If we don't have Luongo, we can throw 7.5-8M on Perry...with Luongo on the Leafs, you're stuck watching him play elsewhere because we also have to sign Phaneuf/Kessel etc.

Old
01-21-2013, 10:06 PM
ForzaItalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
Did Ville Leino play tonight?
Nope. Still injured.

Old
01-21-2013, 10:07 PM
cup67
HAIL TO OUR LEADER

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeroNtF View Post
If Reimer is in against Pittsburg that could be a horror story waiting to happen for his confidence.

what was wrong with the D , what 20 shots, to many

Old
01-21-2013, 10:07 PM
4evaBlue
Corsi != Possession

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggs21 View Post
what do people think of Holzer and Fraser's games?
Didn't see anything of significance from either of the two. Komi and Franson are better than either of them.

Old
01-21-2013, 10:08 PM
The Reaper
Men of Mayhem

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeroNtF View Post

Starting Scrivens against Pitts would be a nightmare

Old
01-21-2013, 10:09 PM
dimi78

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunjay View Post
3 years ago Kadri was nowhere near ready for the NHL. 2 years ago Kadri was nowhere near ready for the NHL. 1 year ago he was closer, but still not ready for the NHL. See the trend?

Kadri got NHL time, which showed he wasnt ready. So far this year he's showing otherwise. Lets not forget that he once or twice before had a stretch of 2 or 3 NHL games where he played really well and scored a couple goals, only to fall off completely.
Watch some Marlie games before making these assumptions. Kadri has been playing like this for the Marlies since day 1... people over exaggerating that he wasn't ready, if he wasn't he wouldn't have been the first damn call up each and every time... He would come up play with hacks be the best player on the line but we will complain about him not picking up points, we will complain about the one or 2 turnover he commits trying to make plays, we complain about him getting knock down things that happen tonight but because he scored these past 2 games the view has all of the sudden changed . Is he or has he finished growing and developing ?NO but don't give me this crap he wasn't ready to play in the NHL 2 years ago CAUSE EVERYTHING HE NEEDED TO LEARN COULD HAVE BEEN DONE IN THE DAMN NHL THROUGH EXPERIENCE.

I've said this before and I'll say it again if Kadri was on Edmonton do you really think he would have spent this much time in the AHL? The answer and everybody knows it is NO.

Old
01-21-2013, 10:09 PM
SteveV*

If we play like that every night we will win our share.

Old
01-21-2013, 10:10 PM
leafsfuture

Scrivens has no chance on the 1st goal, and the 2nd Pomminville was completely open, had all the time to pause, make Scrivens spread out, then go down five hole.

We lost this game for three reasons:
1. Over-agression down low in 5 on 5 situations
2. Didnt get it done on the PP
3. Miller was unrea,

Old
01-21-2013, 10:12 PM
Hennig
It was 4-1.

vCash: 137
Send a message via ICQ to Hennig
Wow, Bozak was a beast in the faceoff circle tonight, 22 won, and only lost 4!!
Great games by Phaneuf, Scrivs, Komarov, Kessel, and NAZEM KADRI!

Hopefully this game was just an experiment for Carlyle and doesn't play Fraser/Holzer a lot.. Franson and Komisarek are a lot better players, and we could of used Fransons point shot tonight.

Both goals weren't Scrivens fault at all, 3 goals on 44 shots is awesome! Hopefully he can keep it up. But at the same time I'd start Reimer next game against the Penguins.

Kaleta is a ****ing waste of skin.

JVR, Kulemin, Mac were unimpressive, I would of thought the MGK line would of been the line that carried us early on because they don't have cold feet, but it doesn't seem like thats going to happen.

Miller was a wizard.. yet again. Seems like the story of every leafs-sabre games in the past 5 years.

Good game all in all, a little pissed we didn't come out with 2 points. BUT A LOT MORE HAPPIER THAT IM FINALLY WATCNING NHL HOCKEY.

Old
01-21-2013, 10:12 PM
Chandrashekhar Limit
Manchistah Yernited

vCash: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Viper View Post
Starting Scrivens against Pitts would be a nightmare
Starting a guy who has given up 3 goals in 2 goals over someone who clearly didn't seem ready in camp seems like a bad idea to you?

Old
01-21-2013, 10:13 PM
4evaBlue
Corsi != Possession

Two observations:

Looking at the faceoff stats could be deceptive at times. When Steckel wins faceoffs in the defensive zone, the puck, more often than not, ends up in the area behind the net. Same goes for Bozak, as we saw in the last 5 mins of the game. Each one of his wins resulted in a clear Leafs possession. When looking at Grabo's faceoff "win" in the sequence that ended with the first goal against, it resulted in a 50-50 puck along the sideboard.

I'm a bit annoyed at the reffing tonight. I'm not going to whine about it, and blame the loss on it, but as a fairly disciplined team, I think we're at a pretty big disadvantage here. 3-4 penalties called in a row against the Sabres, then the refs essentially put their whistle away until they could nail the Leafs on one call. They allowed Scrivens to be run over without a call, they let an interference call go that resulted in the 2nd goal before they got Gunnar on a super soft call.

Old
The Blue Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post
Cherry has been telling everyone for 3 years that Kadri should be in the NHL......but what does he know!

Cherry takes a lot of heat on here, but he knows talent when he see's it.

Remember he said the same about many others when they were in the minors.... Perry and Spezza come to mind!
Do you guys ever think that maybe, just maybe their time in the minors has actually helped them? Because it most definitely did NOT hurt them in any way.

Old
phillycheesekessel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimi78 View Post
Watch some Marlie games before making these assumptions. Kadri has been playing like this for the Marlies since day 1... people over exaggerating that he wasn't ready, if he wasn't he wouldn't have been the first damn call up each and every time... He would come up play with hacks be the best player on the line but we will complain about him not picking up points, we will complain about the one or 2 turnover he commits trying to make plays, we complain about him getting knock down things that happen tonight but because he scored these past 2 games the view has all of the sudden changed . Is he or has he finished growing and developing ?NO but don't give me this crap he wasn't ready to play in the NHL 2 years ago CAUSE EVERYTHING HE NEEDED TO LEARN COULD HAVE BEEN DONE IN THE DAMN NHL THROUGH EXPERIENCE.

I've said this before and I'll say it again if Kadri was on Edmonton do you really think he would have spent this much time in the AHL? The answer and everybody knows it is NO.
Buddy playing the ahl and the nhl is a big difference, the path kadri has taken is the right one to take. If he was on edmonton he wouldnt have been able to developany skills because there is NO LEADERSHIP on that team they are all a bunch of young guys needing it. If youre not ready to play in the chel, you dont play... PERIOD

Old
01-21-2013, 10:14 PM
bunjay

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimi78 View Post

lolwut?

How he played in the AHL was not what determined whether he was ready or not. You show you'r eready for the NHL in the NHL.

Quote:

You know that Justin Schultz guy who was tearing the AHL a new ******* before the lockout ended? This is his first NHL season. He's 22. Same age as Kadri.

Old
01-21-2013, 10:14 PM
Pi

IMO, Scrivens will start on Wednesday...there is no reason not to start him.

Reimer will get his shot against the Islanders on the 2nd night of the back to back.

Old
01-21-2013, 10:15 PM
12345*

I have no expectations. They outplayed Buffalo. Zone entry needs work. Ran into a hot goalie.

Old
01-21-2013, 10:16 PM
zeke
#freewilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunjay View Post
Pre-season? Really? Kadri has always been ready? Really? He was being physically pushed around, overhandled the puck, had a ton of turnovers, and failed to impress when given PP time. He just wasn't ready. Period. It was so painfully obvious, I hated Wilson as much as anybody but he was right on that one.

A lot of people on here seem to think that if only Kadri had been put on the first line and played 20 minutes a night he would have shown he was ready. Wrong. He was being given sheltered minutes like just about every team does with their prospects. Remember when Tyler Seguin was playing on the third line and getting benched/scratched? And he's better than Kadri. What you don't seem to understand is that it takes a VERY special player at 18-20 years of age to play on a first line. You know who first lines play against? Top defensive matchups.

If Kadri is ready for the NHL now, it takes a certain kind of dumbass to then say "see? he was ready the whole time!" That's not how it works. If he keeps playing like he has these first two games, it's not DESPITE all the time he spent in the AHL. It's BECAUSE of it.
Kadri is ready to be an NHL first liner now.

he was ready to be an NHL third liner years ago.

Old
01-21-2013, 10:16 PM
bunjay

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evaBlue View Post
Two observations:

Looking at the faceoff stats could be deceptive at times. When Steckel wins faceoffs in the defensive zone, the puck, more often than not, ends up in the area behind the net. Same goes for Bozak, as we saw in the last 5 mins of the game. Each one of his wins resulted in a clear Leafs possession. When looking at Grabo's faceoff "win" in the sequence that ended with the first goal against, it resulted in a 50-50 puck along the sideboard.
And now surely you'll watch the whole game over again to take note of any 'wins' that werent really wins by our other centers, right? Because surely you're not reaching a little too far for a criticism of a players you dislike.

Closed Thread