HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Well poop: Sabres win 2-1

Closed Thread

Old
01-22-2013, 12:42 AM
4evaBlue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimshot View Post
That Scott fella is quite the dangler. I am assuming that you are not considering that weasel Kaleta a tough guy.
Scott is a plug (much like Orr), who saw less than 2 mins of icetime. I wasn't talking about scrappers, but guys who consistently outmuscled us along the boards. It seemed like especially in the first two periods, we were also getting outhit by a fair margin. We closed the gap a bit in the 3rd when the Sabres started sitting back on their 2 goal lead. Maybe "tough" wasn't the right phrase. Gritty, maybe?

As for something unrelated.

Having just finished reading through the whole thread, I'm somewhat surprised that Liles didn't get more of a mention. I distinctly remember some of his pinches that caused some havoc around the net. He was very mobile, and created some chances.

Also, I noticed Kadri and Kessel being the first forwards back on defense on their respective lines a few times tonight. Great to see, considering the amount of flack they've gotten for the lack of their defensive game.

We need to bring our PP plans back to the drawing board. The players were way too stationary, making defensive coverage much easier for the opponents.

Old
01-22-2013, 12:45 AM
JGuardz

How was there NOT an interference call on that buffalo second goal?

Old
01-22-2013, 12:47 AM
pooleboy
#buildthrewthedraft

dion played unreal his rushes in the 3rd period were unreal.

Old
01-22-2013, 12:48 AM
Tak7

Generally agree with most of the criticism towards Kulemin.

I'm a big Kulemin fan, but he was terrible tonight. Soft on the puck, soft on the boards, losing puck battles, and at fault for both goals.

The first goal, I think you have to get into that shooting lane.

Second goal though - you just cannot lose the puck there, and that softly.

Old
01-22-2013, 12:49 AM
Prophet Kadri

One thing that pisses me off is McClement is not winning his draws. He can't be going 50% or less on a regular basis because we have Steckel who could be in his position. Kadri is doing ok for his first real stint as a center, Grabo above average and Bozak kicking ass. Everyone obviously needs more games but players need to get to doing their jobs in a shortened season.

Old
01-22-2013, 12:50 AM
spidergoalie

The only goalie to blame for the loss is Miller.

That said, I'm not ready to annoint Scrivens as #1.
No doubt he is more game ready, but Reimer does need to play sooner than later because in a short season the games are only going to get more important, and quickly.
I tend to agree with those saying they would rather see Reimer start against the Islanders though, but only because he hasn't had a chance to get his game legs. Still if he is the Reimer we saw two years ago, he can handle it.

I still don't like going with these two though. I really want a veteran in the mix, regardless of if it is as starter or back-up. I think it will do more good in the long run for which ever younger goalie stays to get some veteran mentoring.

Old
01-22-2013, 01:00 AM
TheDoubleDion87
Rookie User

To all of you blaming Scrivens for the loss, seriously? The first goal was a deflection off a screen shot that was going to miss the net until it hit Hodgson and went in at the last second. The second goal was a breakaway on a fluky play that came out of nowhere. Everything aside he allowed two goals, if that's insurmountable your team has some very serious offensive issues.

The blame lies on both Miller standing on his head and sloppy play up front, particular the passing game. That being said it's now Reimer's turn so we'll see what he can do.

On a lighter note, Kadri is having a monster start to the year.

Old
01-22-2013, 01:03 AM
TheDoubleDion87
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie28 View Post
Not many are posting about Komarov... i thought he played excellent. showed some offensive flash while finishing every check
I figured he was just a pest, I was pleasantly surprised to see the hands on that guy.

Old
01-22-2013, 01:09 AM
Raym11
Phaneuf sucks

We'll blame goaltending when we start losing by 3+ goals.

Scrivens has been good enough. I feel sorry for whatever goalie is in net vs Pittsburgh though.

May God have mercy. I really hope people dont expect a low scoring game vs pittsburgh with great goaltending because Neal and Malkin are going to take a giant dump on the chest of Reimer/Scrivens, Crosby will make a joke of our AHL D-men

Old
01-22-2013, 01:14 AM
bonjovi0308

Send a message via ICQ to bonjovi0308
How did holzer and fraser do??

Old
01-22-2013, 01:16 AM
TheDoubleDion87
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raym11 View Post

Scrivens has been good enough. I feel sorry for whatever goalie is in net vs Pittsburgh though.

May God have mercy. I really hope people dont expect a low scoring game vs pittsburgh with great goaltending because Neal and Malkin are going to take a giant dump on the chest of Reimer/Scrivens, Crosby will make a joke of our AHL D-men
I'm almost certain it will be Reimer, Carlysle knows he has to be carefull with the much more inexperienced Scrivens right now and Reimer is a bit more battle tested, that and he's used to getting lit up

Old
01-22-2013, 01:23 AM
dominicmoore19

Anyone hating on Scrivens can shut up. He played very well today. 1st goal was just a good bounce where a point shot hit a player and went in. 2nd goal is on Kulemin/Gunnarsson. Tough to stop a 3 on 1. Plus its questionable whether or not there should have been a penalty on Pominville for interference on Gunnar.

Old
01-22-2013, 01:28 AM
rimshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raym11 View Post

This pittsburgh you speak of must be the greatest team in all Christendom!!

Old
01-22-2013, 01:28 AM
The Reaper
Men of Mayhem

vCash: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicmoore19 View Post
Anyone hating on Scrivens can shut up. He played very well today. 1st goal was just a good bounce where a point shot hit a player and went in. 2nd goal is on Kulemin/Gunnarsson. Tough to stop a 3 on 1. Plus its questionable whether or not there should have been a penalty on Pominville for interference on Gunnar.
Can't blame Gunnar on that goal and it was a straight up interference that should have been called

Old
01-22-2013, 01:44 AM
HellasLEAF
Komarov has cometh..

I say leave Bozak with Kessel and Lupul. Promote the Kadri line to 2nd line, minutes, etc..and Grabo's line is 3rd line for now.

Old
01-22-2013, 01:48 AM
MrPiff17
Bay St. Bullies

Phaneuf - Kostka

Gardiner/Liles - Komi

Fraser - Franson

PP1:

Kostka - Phaneuf

PP2:

Franson - Gardiner

Wouldn't mind those parings for now

Old
01-22-2013, 01:51 AM
The Blue Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeenSchenn2 View Post
I really don't think its MacArthur's issue on that line, it's Grabovski lol. His passes are all miscalculated, that backhand pass to MacArthur was lucky as hell. He just seems to force things and is handling it like a grenade right now.

Let's hope that changes.
Really? Grabo's the problem? Have you been watching Kulemin at all?

Old
01-22-2013, 01:51 AM
Stats01

Plain and simple Kadri needs to be playing more asap.

Old
01-22-2013, 01:59 AM
4evaBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blue Devil View Post
Not all faceoff wins are clean FYI. If the cneter wins the faceoff(doesn't matter how) then it's up to the wingers and D to control it.
I don't know. To me, the team that ends up with possession wins the faceoff. I don't see why a center should be awarded a faceoff win for knocking the puck in the wrong direction. Regardless, my initial point wasn't even about Grabo, I only used that particular play as an example, because it resulted in a goal, and more people were likely to remember it. Honestly, without watching the game again, it's the only one that stood out to me, as well.

The point was, our faceoff win rate for the last 2 games have been:

vs Habsvs Sabres
Bozak43%85%
Grabo35%77%
Kadri33%54%

vs Flyersvs Leafs
Ennis65%14%
Hodgson55%23%
Grigorenko56%57%

Many were raving about our faceoff success in the thread, but honestly watching the game, it didn't really seem like we dominated the faceoffs outside of the last 5 mins. If you look at the tables, that's a HUGE discrepancy for both teams, which I believe is the result of homer statistician votes. I was certain after our faceoff struggles vs the Habs that we'd need Steckel's expertise in the lineup tonight.

Old
01-22-2013, 02:00 AM
The Blue Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoubleDion87 View Post
To all of you blaming Scrivens for the loss, seriously? The first goal was a deflection off a screen shot that was going to miss the net until it hit Hodgson and went in at the last second. The second goal was a breakaway on a fluky play that came out of nowhere. Everything aside he allowed two goals, if that's insurmountable your team has some very serious offensive issues.

The blame lies on both Miller standing on his head and sloppy play up front, particular the passing game. That being said it's now Reimer's turn so we'll see what he can do.

On a lighter note, Kadri is having a monster start to the year.
Wasn't really a breakaway, it was a 3-1 turned to a 4-2 and it wasn't "fluky". Kule was soft on the puck and lost it at the blue-line.

Old
01-22-2013, 02:06 AM
TheDoubleDion87
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blue Devil View Post
Wasn't really a breakaway, it was a 3-1 turned to a 4-2 and it wasn't "fluky". Kule was soft on the puck and lost it at the blue-line.
Wrong word choice on both counts. Pominville came in and took the shoot alone ahead of the defender and a defensive error led to the play happening very quickly. Regardless it was a tough save.

Old
01-22-2013, 02:17 AM
4evaBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Frattin, growing pains and all.
Maybe. I don't think he's any better defensively, or offensively. Unless it's a "play the kids" move, I don't see much benefit in having Frattin over Mac on the 3rd line.

Old
01-22-2013, 02:52 AM
Kingstonian84*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Viper View Post
how would a Gardiner - Phaneuf pairing work?
Not good I think! Phaneuf and Gardiner are offensive players by nature, both need a defensive stalwart beside them at all times, pairing them together would lead to a lot of defensive blunders and one would have to sacfirice his game to fit the pairing.

Old
01-22-2013, 03:47 AM
A1LeafNation
Thanks Boston.

vCash: 566
Bozak killed it on the faceoff circle.

Old
01-22-2013, 03:49 AM
johnny_rudeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoubleDion87 View Post
I figured he was just a pest, I was pleasantly surprised to see the hands on that guy.
Me to. When he was on the PP I was wondering why Carlyle would experiment with the line ups when we where behind with a goal but he could actually pass the puck very well.

Closed Thread