HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Science
Science A place to discuss natural, formal and applied science topics such as chemistry, physics, biology, logic, engineering, etc.

Why doesn't everyone get the flu shot?

Old
01-21-2013, 09:13 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500
Why doesn't everyone get the flu shot?

http://news.discovery.com/human/heal...mkcpgn=rssnws1

A little psychology as to why/not folks get/don't the flu shot and how far short we (as a society) fall in getting enough folks vaccinated to prevent major outbreaks.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 02:29 PM
Eisen

I worked as a nurse for 17 years. Every year the nurses would go and get their recommended shots and every year it didn't work. I guess that's the main reason people don't go to get them. Flu is mutating to fast to make a vaccine really effective afaik.

Eisen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 06:04 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisen View Post
I worked as a nurse for 17 years. Every year the nurses would go and get their recommended shots and every year it didn't work. I guess that's the main reason people don't go to get them. Flu is mutating to fast to make a vaccine really effective afaik.
The issue is also that it's entirely guesswork as to which strain is going to be the prominent one in any given year, which is also why it includes multiple strains. Basically it's total guesswork. Getting a flu shot CAN help the body build up antibodies to A flu virus, but the odds of it building up antibodies that will work specific to the strain that's going around aren't all that great. It's better then random guesswork but it's still rather ineffective.

FWIW I haven't had a flu in about 4 years despite working in health care. Only been vaccinated 2 of those 4. There have been other years where I've gotten sick as hell despite being vaccinated.

DaveG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 09:01 PM
Frankie Spankie

I think I've only gotten the flu once or maybe twice in my entire life, never got the flu shot. Meanwhile, everyone at work that opted to get a flu shot, has been really sick within a month following the flu shot.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 09:33 PM
octopi

vCash: 703
I've been getting it, but all my life I've had really good natural immunities, and I tend to have bad reactions to the regular shot(arm is stiff, sore, swollen for days.In 2010, I had a lump the size of an egg for a week. I am exhausted with a fever for 2 days starting about 4 hours after) so this year and last year I got the milder, thymersol free version and had no reaction except mild soreness in the arm for about an hour later that day.

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote