HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Joe Morrow

Old
11-05-2012, 02:51 PM
leftwinghockey

vCash: 500
Joe Morrow

Has anyone been able to watch him in WBS? How has he looked playing pro hockey?

The points dont seem there for him but that doesn't always tell the real story.

leftwinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 04:00 PM
Jacob

I haven't seen him play, but the consensus seems to be that he's still adjusting to the speed of the AHL game, not to mention the Pens system, and his overall play isn't yet where it could/should be.

I think the points aren't there mostly because Reese and Dumoulin have been manning the point of the power play of late. Again through, that's just based on what I'm reading.

The Pens' defensive depth right now is insane, I don't think he'll really get a chance to show what he can do until the lockout ends.

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 04:13 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
He's definitely a pro-ready player, but that adjustment can still take some time. I still think he's only going to be in the AHL for a season and a half at most. Fantastic offensive D, although he's got some stiff competition to earn a job with the Pens.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 04:19 PM
Sivek

You can see the talent but he's had some trouble in defensive zone awareness early on, the kind of thing that will likely work itself out as he gets used to the system and pro game. The mobility and puck-moving skill is there and he has been aggressive and active but like most young guys in the AHL (Morrow is probably one of the youngest d-man in the league), he's had some rookie blunders on the defensive end. Also, WBS's forward group isn't the most offensively inclined so his point total by the end of the year may not be indicative of his play.

He is on the first pp, but for whatever reason, WBS's second unit, with Dumoulin & Reese on the points has been more effective in less time. I don't know what to make of it since the second pp doesn't have very good forwards but both Dumoulin & Reese have been effective at keeping the puck in the zone and making the smart play.

Dumoulin has been rather impressive early on. Just a very solid, smart player so far.

Sivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 04:35 PM
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce

Pretty much what everyone else has said already, plus WBS employs a vastly different system than Portland, so he's still learning that. Contrast that to a guy like Dumoulin, where BC based their system off what the Pens did, the adjustment period for him has been much shorter.

Tasty Biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 05:22 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
He's definitely a pro-ready player, but that adjustment can still take some time. I still think he's only going to be in the AHL for a season and a half at most. Fantastic offensive D, although he's got some stiff competition to earn a job with the Pens.
I would label him a two-way defender as of now. Because the kid can actually play some D.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 02:40 AM
PensFan6687

I am just adding to what others have said and will state that WBS are pretty thin up top. It's hard for your offensive defenseman when he's working with a watered down crop of forwards. They also have more depth on D than they can shake a stick at. Doesn't help with how inexperienced and young the D core is at the pro level. It seems like a revolving door of guys getting scratched to make room for other bodies. Overly competitive and hard for everyone to make noise. When it comes to our prospects, we are as Freddy Mercury would put it, a "Fat Bottomed Girl."

PensFan6687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 03:35 PM
InjuredChoker

Just got called up by the Pens.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 12:02 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

In the words of WBS Pens' beat writer Jonathon Bombulie, he said that the Pens' plan was basically to "break Morrow down defensively and build him back up", and that such was the plan from the beginning, and thus he is considered somewhat of a project -- though will a lot of upside

I can infer from that, and everything else we have read or heard, that they view Morrow as a kid with tremendous natural tools, but someone who needs to really learn the game. The Pens', and our fans, love this kid's character, so we know his focus and work ethic is there. Now, it's just a matter for his defensive game and the way we play to become really sound and instinctual. He could push for a spot next season, the year after, or even spend a full 3 years in WBS. But the Pens' definitely feel that all the things Morrow needs to be a great NHLer can be taught, and love his natural gifts (skating, shooting, strength, offense).

He's still considered a top prospect, but given that he was a late bloomer even coming into his draft, some people had expectations he would be ready for the NHL sooner than is likely to be the case.

jmelm is offline   Reply With Quote