HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

All Encompassing Winger Acquisition Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-26-2013, 04:54 PM
  #251
mpp9
Registered User
 
mpp9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 16,491
vCash: 500
I'm gonna stick with Kulemin and one of Stewart/Setoguchi as my dream trade acquisitions.

To get Iginla, you'll have to give Feaster a reason to deal him. Severe overpayment.

mpp9 is online now  
Old
01-26-2013, 05:05 PM
  #252
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Burkupine
 
Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 41,428
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Consensus on the main board is Despres + 2013 1st for Iggy.
The things that trade could do for this team...

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline  
Old
01-26-2013, 07:58 PM
  #253
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!
 
Sidney the Kidney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,669
vCash: 80
I'd be surprised if all it took was a 1st and Despres to land Iginla. I think his name value alone to that franchise would require overpayment.

If that was enough to land Iginla, I'd hope Shero would pull the trigger. If things go as planned, that first will likely be a very late first, and while Despres looks good, we have a pretty deep defensive prospect pool to more than make up for his loss. We simply don't have anything even remotely close to the kind of impact Iginla would make.

Sidney the Kidney is offline  
Old
01-26-2013, 08:16 PM
  #254
KIRK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 27,040
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
I'd be surprised if all it took was a 1st and Despres to land Iginla. I think his name value alone to that franchise would require overpayment.

If that was enough to land Iginla, I'd hope Shero would pull the trigger. If things go as planned, that first will likely be a very late first, and while Despres looks good, we have a pretty deep defensive prospect pool to more than make up for his loss. We simply don't have anything even remotely close to the kind of impact Iginla would make.
I don't know IF that's all it would take, but Flames fans seemed to like it.

IMO, I think if the Pens do end up invited to talk Iginla, the guy the Flames really like is Pouliot. They liked him at the draft (they'd have taken him if he was available, from what I recall someone saying), and I'm sure they like him now.

Side note (about how we value draft picks). Anyone remember how the Flyers got Joni Pitkanen, the #4 overall pick in the draft the year Whitney was drafted #5? Answer: That summer, TB, feeling close, traded the #4 overall pick to Philly for two second round picks and for a 23 year old winger with two years NHL experience who showed some real promise and was coming off a 17 goal season playing 13 minutes a night. His name: Ruslan Fedotenko.

KIRK is offline  
Old
01-26-2013, 08:24 PM
  #255
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President
 
SprootsMasterFlex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,216
vCash: 500
Would you guys do:

Despres for Colin Wilson (NSH)

SprootsMasterFlex is online now  
Old
01-26-2013, 08:27 PM
  #256
KIRK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 27,040
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SprootsMasterFlex View Post
Would you guys do:

Despres for Colin Wilson (NSH)
Would Nashville?

KIRK is offline  
Old
01-26-2013, 08:31 PM
  #257
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President
 
SprootsMasterFlex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Would Nashville?
Possibly. He was in Tortz's doghouse last year however looks to have turned around his game in the first couple of games into this season... And apparently was even being shopped around this summer before signing his cap friendly deal. He'd look great on our top 6. He's competing with Smith since they're of similar age and roles on the team.

SprootsMasterFlex is online now  
Old
01-26-2013, 08:44 PM
  #258
KIRK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 27,040
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SprootsMasterFlex View Post
Possibly. He was in Tortz's doghouse last year however looks to have turned around his game in the first couple of games into this season... And apparently was even being shopped around this summer before signing his cap friendly deal. He'd look great on our top 6. He's competing with Smith since they're of similar age and roles on the team.
But, Nashville is desperate for scoring, not a defenseman like Despres, I'd thought.

KIRK is offline  
Old
01-26-2013, 08:55 PM
  #259
#66
Registered User
 
#66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 10,255
vCash: 500
All of these names are nice but why can't the Pens find a Read or Hagelin?

#66 is offline  
Old
01-26-2013, 08:58 PM
  #260
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President
 
SprootsMasterFlex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
But, Nashville is desperate for scoring, not a defenseman like Despres, I'd thought.
I recall them being desperate for both although they were never able to replace Suter's absence. Its supposed to be replaced by committee. I'm not saying that Despres an replace him but he has the potential to do well if mentored by Weber. I would assume that a forward that needs a change of scenery could be included like Tangradi or Jeffrey. Either way, I'm just saying to think of other possible targets that could happen. Its not like Wilson is setting the world on fire in Nashville.

Between Wilson and Smith, upon reading their forum and watching some Preds games, it seems as though thy have a preference for Smith and see him as the one that has the better chance to succeed in heir system.

SprootsMasterFlex is online now  
Old
01-26-2013, 09:01 PM
  #261
Flat Stanley
Registered User
 
Flat Stanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,185
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
All of these names are nice but why can't the Pens find a Read or Hagelin?
Well they try (Thompson, Gibbons, Megna)

Flat Stanley is offline  
Old
01-26-2013, 09:10 PM
  #262
Beauner
Bye Bye Bylsma
 
Beauner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 5,572
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
All of these names are nice but why can't the Pens find a Read or Hagelin?
We can hope Megna can become like those guys. Not likely but who knows.

I'm hoping the Flames suck because that's the only way Iginla will get traded. Then I would think the Penguins would be one of the teams he would accept a trade to, maybe forcing Calgary's hand a little bit. But really the only way that we could even think of acquiring Iggy is if they are sucking hard by mid-late March.

Other than that I'm on board with Kulemin or Stewart.

Beauner is offline  
Old
01-26-2013, 09:13 PM
  #263
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä
 
Captain Hook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 13,325
vCash: 500
A lot of luck involved in finding the rare late round gem or UDFA that can really play at the NHL level. Pens just haven't had much luck in that area but they do try. I guess Megna is the latest one to have hope for.

Captain Hook is online now  
Old
01-26-2013, 09:20 PM
  #264
KIRK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 27,040
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedberg1 View Post
We can hope Megna can become like those guys. Not likely but who knows.

I'm hoping the Flames suck because that's the only way Iginla will get traded. Then I would think the Penguins would be one of the teams he would accept a trade to, maybe forcing Calgary's hand a little bit. But really the only way that we could even think of acquiring Iggy is if they are sucking hard by mid-late March.

Other than that I'm on board with Kulemin or Stewart.
Me too, although I still think STL holds Stewart until the summer (when Berglund and all four of their young starting defensemen also are RFA's along with Stewart).

Assuming no sexy move, Kulemin and MacArthur would be fine. We've discussed Kulemin. On MacArthur, the deal with him is he's an upgrade for Sid, and he's got some creativity. By that, I mean he'd probably be the Pens most creative forward not named Crosby or Malkin (and, yes, I mean more creative than Neal . . . Neal is a top forward because of that shot, not because of his individual creativity with or without the puck).

KIRK is offline  
Old
01-26-2013, 09:27 PM
  #265
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä
 
Captain Hook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 13,325
vCash: 500
Yeah, the Stewart situation reminds me a bit of the Umberger situation when the Flyers had to re-sign guys like Jeff Carter and their cap situation got tight so they had to move one of their other young players along and swapped Umberger for a 1st rounder at the draft.

Captain Hook is online now  
Old
01-26-2013, 09:27 PM
  #266
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Burkupine
 
Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 41,428
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
I don't know IF that's all it would take, but Flames fans seemed to like it.

IMO, I think if the Pens do end up invited to talk Iginla, the guy the Flames really like is Pouliot. They liked him at the draft (they'd have taken him if he was available, from what I recall someone saying), and I'm sure they like him now.

Side note (about how we value draft picks). Anyone remember how the Flyers got Joni Pitkanen, the #4 overall pick in the draft the year Whitney was drafted #5? Answer: That summer, TB, feeling close, traded the #4 overall pick to Philly for two second round picks and for a 23 year old winger with two years NHL experience who showed some real promise and was coming off a 17 goal season playing 13 minutes a night. His name: Ruslan Fedotenko.
If Iginla becomes available (and we haven't landed Perry), Shero needs to land him. Overpay if need be - we have the assets to get it done with Calgary.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline  
Old
01-26-2013, 09:28 PM
  #267
Flat Stanley
Registered User
 
Flat Stanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,185
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Yeah, the Stewart situation reminds me a bit of the Umberger situation when the Flyers had to re-sign guys like Jeff Carter and their cap situation got tight so they had to move one of their other young players along and swapped Umberger for a 1st rounder at the draft.
Which I would easily do for Chris Stewart at the draft.

Flat Stanley is offline  
Old
01-26-2013, 09:30 PM
  #268
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President
 
SprootsMasterFlex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Me too, although I still think STL holds Stewart until the summer (when Berglund and all four of their young starting defensemen also are RFA's along with Stewart).

Assuming no sexy move, Kulemin and MacArthur would be fine. We've discussed Kulemin. On MacArthur, the deal with him is he's an upgrade for Sid, and he's got some creativity. By that, I mean he'd probably be the Pens most creative forward not named Crosby or Malkin (and, yes, I mean more creative than Neal . . . Neal is a top forward because of that shot, not because of his individual creativity with or without the puck).
Setoguchi would also thrive with his rghthanded shot, like Neal.

SprootsMasterFlex is online now  
Old
01-26-2013, 09:32 PM
  #269
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President
 
SprootsMasterFlex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,216
vCash: 500
I always envisioned Sam Gagner thriving next to Sid. He thinks the game like Bergeron & Sid. I would assume that they'd have similar chemistry. Plus, he's young and righthanded to boot...

Its clear that the Oilers desperately want young Dmen and have an abundance of young forwards they can use to acquire one.

SprootsMasterFlex is online now  
Old
01-26-2013, 09:32 PM
  #270
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä
 
Captain Hook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 13,325
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
Which I would easily do for Chris Stewart at the draft.
Agreed.

RFA Stewart may fetch more than RFA Umberger did if he has a big year though.

Captain Hook is online now  
Old
01-26-2013, 09:33 PM
  #271
Sivek
Registered User
 
Sivek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,264
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedberg1 View Post

I'm hoping the Flames suck because that's the only way Iginla will get traded.

That's been my angle so far. Flames lose tonight and they'll start the season on a 4-game losing streak. That's over 8% of the season right there. I hope people realize that Iginla is going to be worth whatever they give up to potentially acquire him. He's clearly the best option out there. Iginla is a ton better than the various okay players and reclamation projects that are normally out there and the Pens will have to pay out accordingly. And don't give any of the age stuff with him, the guy has missed less than a dozen games the last 9 years combined. He hasn't scored less than 32 goals in 10 years. He's as sure as a sure thing can be. Iginla is a great, great player. There's no effing way I'd go for a Stewart or Setoguchi, etc over Iginla if he's on the market even though you'd give up significantly more to acquire him.

Yeah, he's a UFA but if the team acquires him and he clicks with Sid and they go far in the playoffs, I'd say there's a good chance he sticks around. If he doesn't, oh well, look how the Hossa trade turned out. You had guys like McGuire losing their mind at the "talent" the Pens gave up and now years later, we can safely they didn't give up ****. That's how it goes when you trade young assets, sometimes it comes back to bite you, sometimes it doesn't. I have a hard time seeing this team go far into the playoffs without a significant addition at forward.

Also don't see Iginla taking just Despres+1st to get done. There have to be a little more there from the Pens's side.


Last edited by Sivek: 01-26-2013 at 09:39 PM.
Sivek is offline  
Old
01-26-2013, 09:36 PM
  #272
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President
 
SprootsMasterFlex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivek View Post
That's been my angle so far. Flames lose tonight and they'll start the season on a 4-game losing streak. That's over 8% of the season right there. I hope people realize that Iginla is going to be worth whatever they give up to potentially acquire him. He's clearly the best option out there. Iginla is a ton better than the various okay players and reclamation projects that are normally out there and the Pens will have to pay out accordingly. And don't give any of the age stuff with him, the guy has missed less than a dozen games the last 9 years combined. He hasn't scored less than 32 goals in 10 years. He's as sure as a sure thing can be. Iginla is a great, great player.

Yeah, he's a UFA but if the team acquires him and he clicks with Sid and they go far in the playoffs, I'd say there's a good chance he sticks around. If he doesn't, oh well, look how the Hossa trade turned out. You had guys like McGuire losing their mind at the "talent" the Pens gave up and now years later, we can safely they didn't give up ****. That's how it goes when you trade young assets, sometimes it comes back to bite you, sometimes it doesn't. I have a hard time seeing this team go far into the playoffs without a significant addition at forward.
Cammallieri would be good too... but he has a big cap hit.

SprootsMasterFlex is online now  
Old
01-26-2013, 09:47 PM
  #273
hctopcheds11
Registered User
 
hctopcheds11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 1,757
vCash: 500
Interesting but on the trade boards Blues fans would be okay dealing Jaden Schwartz for a similar type of player on defense.

He's a guy that's not yet proven but has a lot of the same qualities as Parise, St. Louis, Eberle etc. I'd have no problem trading prospect for prospect for him with nearly any of our d prospects.

hctopcheds11 is offline  
Old
01-26-2013, 09:52 PM
  #274
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä
 
Captain Hook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 13,325
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyg26 View Post
Interesting but on the trade boards Blues fans would be okay dealing Jaden Schwartz for a similar type of player on defense.

He's a guy that's not yet proven but has a lot of the same qualities as Parise, St. Louis, Eberle etc. I'd have no problem trading prospect for prospect for him with nearly any of our d prospects.
Me either.

I watched him in college and he is a bit small but very dynamic. We could use someone like that in our pipeline and have D to spare.

Captain Hook is online now  
Old
01-26-2013, 09:54 PM
  #275
66-29-33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyg26 View Post
Interesting but on the trade boards Blues fans would be okay dealing Jaden Schwartz for a similar type of player on defense.

He's a guy that's not yet proven but has a lot of the same qualities as Parise, St. Louis, Eberle etc. I'd have no problem trading prospect for prospect for him with nearly any of our d prospects.
Maybe Stewart+Schwartz for a 1st+D prospect. They wont go for it since they are contending, sadly.

66-29-33 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:48 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.