HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Encompassing Winger Acquisition Thread

Closed Thread

Old
01-26-2013, 10:42 PM
MrBurghundy
Relax

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
All of these names are nice but why can't the Pens find a Read or Hagelin?
To get guys like those, you can't have a coach thats afraid to play them.

Old
01-27-2013, 02:19 AM
DAChampion

What might Pittsburgh be willing to give up to acquire Montreal Canadiens power forward Erik Cole?

Old
01-27-2013, 02:33 AM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
What might Pittsburgh be willing to give up to acquire Montreal Canadiens power forward Erik Cole?

doubt he'd waive to come here. don't know if he still holds a grudge, but i've seen no indication that his original sentiment has changed.

Quote:
Cole said Orpik tried to reach out to him through Carolina's Mark Recchi, Orpik's former Pittsburgh teammate. But when Recchi asked Cole for permission to give Orpik Cole's phone number, Cole said no. "Honestly I probably wouldn't even speak to him," Cole said.

Last edited by Crafton: 01-27-2013 at 02:41 AM.
Old
01-27-2013, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
To get guys like those, you can't have a coach thats afraid to play them.
Yeah but those guys played well and scored at every level they've been. Then forced their teams hands by playing well in the NHL. Now Hagelin hasn't scored in 33 games so he's seeing less ice.

Thats how it works. You just don't come in, get a lame nick name and expect cheerleaders to feed you grapes.

Old
01-27-2013, 09:08 AM
hctopcheds11

I still think Jaden Schwartz would be awesome to have next to 87 and IMO, it could be a Neal situation where it'd a perfect storm to get him. And it's important you get a player like him before he breaks out because it may be your only shot.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:02 AM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

Russo said the following today in his blog: :-)

http://www.startribune.com/sports/wild/188501841.html

short takes

Trade talk

With Pittsburgh eager to move Chris Kunitz back to a line with Evgeni Malkin and James Neal, the Penguins could be in the market for a right winger to skate with Sidney Crosby and Pascal Dupuis.One player who could foot the bill? The Wild's Devin Setoguchi. It's unclear if the Penguins are interested, but trading Setoguchi would create a spot for prospects Jason Zucker, Charlie Coyle or Johan Larsson.The Wild also could use another defenseman and, according to the Pittsburgh Tribune Review, smooth-skating 6-4 defenseman Simon Despres, a 2009 Penguins first-rounder, could be trade bait.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:09 AM
nhindian

Quote:
If Perry and Getz go to UFA, I would hope that the Pens at least take a shot. $6.5 for each is a lot of money to stay together, play on either side of Sid and make history.

Sure they can go to a team like TO in a rebuilding phase but I'm thinking they want to win now.
Sounds like an express elevator to cap hell.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:13 AM
Warm Cookies
The Dynamic Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprootsMasterFlex View Post

short takes

Trade talk

With Pittsburgh eager to move Chris Kunitz back to a line with Evgeni Malkin and James Neal, the Penguins could be in the market for a right winger to skate with Sidney Crosby and Pascal Dupuis.One player who could foot the bill? The Wild's Devin Setoguchi. It's unclear if the Penguins are interested, but trading Setoguchi would create a spot for prospects Jason Zucker, Charlie Coyle or Johan Larsson.The Wild also could use another defenseman and, according to the Pittsburgh Tribune Review, smooth-skating 6-4 defenseman Simon Despres, a 2009 Penguins first-rounder, could be trade bait.
Setoguchi is not worth Despres at this point. But I like him as a reclamation project.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:14 AM
nhindian

Quote:
All of these names are nice but why can't the Pens find a Read or Hagelin?
Because Read fell through the cracks as like a 24yo rookie

Hagelin has speed but has almost no offense.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:15 AM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Setoguchi is not worth Despres at this point. But I like him as a reclamation project.
Yea. Those 20 goal reclamation projects. He's a perfect fit here. And he's worth Despres.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:20 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivek View Post
That's been my angle so far. Flames lose tonight and they'll start the season on a 4-game losing streak. That's over 8% of the season right there. I hope people realize that Iginla is going to be worth whatever they give up to potentially acquire him. He's clearly the best option out there. Iginla is a ton better than the various okay players and reclamation projects that are normally out there and the Pens will have to pay out accordingly. And don't give any of the age stuff with him, the guy has missed less than a dozen games the last 9 years combined. He hasn't scored less than 32 goals in 10 years. He's as sure as a sure thing can be. Iginla is a great, great player. There's no effing way I'd go for a Stewart or Setoguchi, etc over Iginla if he's on the market even though you'd give up significantly more to acquire him.

Yeah, he's a UFA but if the team acquires him and he clicks with Sid and they go far in the playoffs, I'd say there's a good chance he sticks around. If he doesn't, oh well, look how the Hossa trade turned out. You had guys like McGuire losing their mind at the "talent" the Pens gave up and now years later, we can safely they didn't give up ****. That's how it goes when you trade young assets, sometimes it comes back to bite you, sometimes it doesn't. I have a hard time seeing this team go far into the playoffs without a significant addition at forward.

Also don't see Iginla taking just Despres+1st to get done. There have to be a little more there from the Pens's side.
I'm just saying the Iggy thread on the main trade board had a lot of Pens and Flames fans thinking that was a fair deal. It may cost more in the end. I don't doubt that.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:23 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyg26 View Post
I still think Jaden Schwartz would be awesome to have next to 87 and IMO, it could be a Neal situation where it'd a perfect storm to get him. And it's important you get a player like him before he breaks out because it may be your only shot.
Can't wait to see him on the Pens 4th line on nights DB decides to scratch Adams.

Seriously, a deal like that makes A LOT of sense.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:23 AM
MrBurghundy
Relax

Quote:

short takes

Trade talk

Kunitz - Malkin - Neal
Dupuis - Crosby - Setoguchi
Cooke - Sutter - Kennedy
Tangradi/Glass - Jeffrey - Vitale

Looks good to me, although I would really like another winger to play with Crosby instead of Dupuis. I'd be all for moving Tangradi and or Kennedy with other assets to get it in that scenario. Or we could get lucky and Bennett could be ready to fill that hole.

Kunitz - Malkin - Neal
Bennett/Trade - Crosby - Setoguchi
Cooke - Sutter - Dupuis
Glass - Jeffrey - Vitale
Adams

Old
01-27-2013, 10:24 AM
KIRK

Quote:

short takes

Trade talk

I fail to see how getting Seto empowers you to move Kunitz back with Malkin. Sid's still ******.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:26 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Kunitz - Malkin - Neal
Dupuis - Crosby - Setoguchi
Cooke - Sutter - Kennedy
Tangradi/Glass - Jeffrey - Vitale

Looks good to me, although I would really like another winger to play with Crosby instead of Dupuis. I'd be all for moving Tangradi and or Kennedy with other assets to get it in that scenario.

Kunitz - Malkin - Neal
X - Crosby - Setoguchi
Cooke - Sutter - Dupuis
Glass - Jeffrey - Vitale
Adams
You know, Burgundy, it's dawned upon me why I'm so adamant that Sid and Geno both have two good wingers each . . . because in my naive dream world, I assume that not even Bylsma could **** up that lineup card.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:26 AM
MrBurghundy
Relax

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
You know, Burgundy, it's dawned upon me why I'm so adamant that Sid and Geno both have two good wingers each . . . because in my naive dream world, I assume that not even Bylsma could **** up that lineup card.
, I'm sure there'd be a way. Although I did edit my post saying it would be nice if Bennett could prove himself to be ready. That would be a nice top 6 there if it was so.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:31 AM
Antaris
Totally Trustworthy

Quote:
I fail to see how getting Seto empowers you to move Kunitz back with Malkin. Sid's still ******.
How is that even remotely true, kirk? That sounds like you're just assuming that Seto would bust with the Pens, Duper would make a fair third wheel.

Seto could thrive with Sid (with emphasis on could). Are you saying that a trade for Seto would be a waste of resources?

I don't really get your point of view here

Old
01-27-2013, 10:35 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antaris View Post
How is that even remotely true, kirk? That sounds like you're just assuming that Seto would bust with the Pens, Duper would make a fair third wheel.

Seto could thrive with Sid (with emphasis on could). Are you saying that a trade for Seto would be a waste of resources?

I don't really get your point of view here
No, I'm assuming that one but not both of Kunitz and Dupuis should be in the top six, period.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:35 AM
KIRK

Quote:
, I'm sure there'd be a way. Although I did edit my post saying it would be nice if Bennett could prove himself to be ready. That would be a nice top 6 there if it was so.
Sure, that would be nice, but it's a lot to ask and it's not as if he'd get the chance anyway, not with so many other viable top six options already on the roster.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:36 AM
mpp9

We'd be set for the regular season with Seto. But I'd still like to see another big body in the top 6 come playoffs.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:37 AM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

I don't believe Despres for Setoguchi is fair value at this point, but I do want to see change. Maybe overpaying to see if Setoguchi and Crosby have chemistry is worth it?

The question I have is: why not try Beau Bennett there before losing a major asset?

Old
01-27-2013, 10:37 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
We'd be set for the regular season with Seto. But I'd still like to see another big body in the top 6 come playoffs.
Yep.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:38 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
I don't believe Despres for Setoguchi is fair value at this point, but I do want to see change. Maybe overpaying to see if Setoguchi and Crosby have chemistry is worth it?

The question I have is: why not try Beau Bennett there before losing a major asset?
I'm assuming that you know why that question is purely rhetorical.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:39 AM
MrBurghundy
Relax

Quote:
Sure, that would be nice, but it's a lot to ask and it's not as if he'd get the chance anyway, not with so many other viable top six options already on the roster.
Well only if he was ready, but I hear what you're saying. With guys like Dupuis and Glass on the roster, it would be pretty hard to crack the top 6.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:39 AM
sexyllama

How is Seto so much better than Kunitz or Dupuis? I think we are overvaluing Seto because he's not on our team... Seto's averaged 38 points for the last THREE years... he's not some elite player he's the same as Dupuis/Kunitz. Oh yeah, he's a veteran so he'll actually get ice time.

We used Gogo to get Neal. Everyone has consistently said we don't have to draft forwards because a good puck moving defensemen is worth a ton more. It doesn't seem like that with a straight Seto-> Despres swap. Maybe Coyle -> Despres

Our last few games have been horrible free goal passes and really bad team defense.

Closed Thread