HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

All Encompassing Winger Acquisition Thread

Closed Thread

Old
01-27-2013, 07:46 PM
KIRK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
I really can't see Orpik ever be traded, to be honest, but if there were a good fit for anyone in this league, it'd be Orpik playing next to Pietro in STL.
I don't disagree with either part. Depending upon where STL is in terms of comfort level with the young guys on defense, then I could see Orpik being the type of guy they'd absolutely want for the playoffs.

If it ever came to fruition, do you agree that something like Stewart, Cole for TK, Orpik, one of the D prospects (thinking Maatta) is the ballpark?

Old
01-27-2013, 07:48 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
I don't disagree with either part. Depending upon where STL is in terms of comfort level with the young guys on defense, then I could see Orpik being the type of guy they'd absolutely want for the playoffs.

If it ever came to fruition, do you agree that something like Stewart, Cole for TK, Orpik, one of the D prospects (thinking Maatta) is the ballpark?
Though Redden has played quite well in 2 games, they are looking for him to play with Pietro. Not sure how that will turn out.

Old
01-27-2013, 07:48 PM
66-29-33

Quote:
I really can't see Orpik ever be traded, to be honest, but if there were a good fit for anyone in this league, it'd be Orpik playing next to Pietro in STL.
Our blueline toughness would take a small hit, but Cole comes back because he's a bruiser aswell, although Orpik is a better bruiser, although we get Stewart coming back aswell, and if he plays like a 30 goal man i say all good.

Old
01-27-2013, 07:53 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Though Redden has played quite well in 2 games, they are looking for him to play with Pietro. Not sure how that will turn out.
Not seeing that working out for them. If we made Orpik available to them, DA would be all over it. They're looking like a Cup contender, adding a guy like that makes them the best in the West.

Old
01-27-2013, 07:53 PM
hctopcheds11

I think St. Louis is very much in a wait and see state with Stewart and so far, he's looked good for them.

Seto's a decent target but I'm just not sure which guy you are going to get. He's been fairly streaky over his career.

Time for Shero to be really aggressive. There's always teams at this time of the year who panic...

Old
01-27-2013, 07:55 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Not seeing that working out for them. If we made Orpik available to them, DA would be all over it. They're looking like a Cup contender, adding a guy like that makes them the best in the West.
Huge IF, as JTG noted, but IF, then I think so too.

Old
01-27-2013, 07:57 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyg26 View Post
Time for Shero to be really aggressive. There's always teams at this time of the year who panic...
the key is to not panic yourself

Old
01-27-2013, 07:58 PM
JTG

And trading Orpik, you're effectively making our blueline worse for the time being. Cole has potential to be better than Orpik in terms of being a physical shutdown guy, but he still has work to do. Coming here, he'd go from playing 17-19 a game (and currently playing in the AHL) to 23-25

Old
01-27-2013, 08:18 PM
Ugene Malkin
Oh..Well!

We need that Clowe type winger in the worst way. Watching the high lights.

Old
01-27-2013, 08:27 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBenSF View Post
Making a thread in the main trade board about our need for wingers, just to see what the response is from other fans. I'll make sure to link this thread because I stole a couple of players on the big board into my thread
Oof.

That's all I have to say about that. Oof.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
01-27-2013, 09:02 PM
penzweiser
Rookie User

What do you think someone like cammalleri would cost, maybe even have 2 million of his salary absorbed? I think he'd lol great on Crosby's wing

Old
01-27-2013, 09:14 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprootsMasterFlex View Post
You value Dumoulin more than Despres?
Dumoulin did outplay Despres by a pretty fair margin in WB/S this year.

Old
01-27-2013, 09:24 PM
BigBenSF*
Worst Behavior

vCash: 1441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Oof.

That's all I have to say about that. Oof.
Eh. I'm just less hesitant to make a "Blow **** up" trade, if I was GM 3/4 of the fans would call for my head probably . I just think that if we get a true winger, it's not someone like MacArthur that doesn't truly solve our problems. Iginla would be a x-factor for the next 2/3 years, and I would pay that price for him.

Old
01-27-2013, 09:30 PM

I really hate the idea of trading Orpik unless the Pens are getting another tough defenseman back.

Teams have been taking way to many liberties with MAF and drive in on the defense without much pushback. It will only get worse without Orpik.

How legit mean is Bort? Does he just react or is he a SOB?

The Blues are a good trading partner though. They're deep on the wings and have some prospects coming up. Maybe the answer is going after a player like Rattie instead of an NHLer.

Old
01-27-2013, 09:38 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
I really hate the idea of trading Orpik unless the Pens are getting another tough defenseman back.

Teams have been taking way to many liberties with MAF and drive in on the defense without much pushback. It will only get worse without Orpik.

How legit mean is Bort? Does he just react or is he a SOB?

The Blues are a good trading partner though. They're deep on the wings and have some prospects coming up. Maybe the answer is going after a player like Rattie instead of an NHLer.
He'll clear the crease, he doesn't have the nasty streak that someone like Engelland does, though.

Old
01-27-2013, 09:42 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Yeah, Bortuzzo defensively strikes me more like Hal Gill than Brooks Orpik. A big body that can box people out to keep his goalie's crease clean but not particularly nasty or mean.

Old
01-27-2013, 09:46 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Yeah, Bortuzzo defensively strikes me more like Hal Gill than Brooks Orpik. A big body that can box people out to keep his goalie's crease clean but not particularly nasty or mean.
He's a bit meaner than Gill, I think, but the comparison isn't inaccurate. He uses his size in a lot of the same ways that Gill does, with the bonus of being a much better skater.

Old
01-27-2013, 09:50 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

I have stated this before, but Bortz reminds me of Kjell Sameulsson. With his biggest asset being the use of his long reach to lean on guys or keep them wide and to the outside.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:57 PM
Fire Shero*

So you guys are saying Tanner Glass, Tyler Kennedy and Pascal Dupuis aren't good enough to play with Sid or Geno?

Old
01-27-2013, 11:19 PM
Alklha

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
This summer, Stewart is a RFA. BUT, so are Petro, Shattenkirk, Cole, Russell, and Berglund. The team budget is going to force a move of one or maybe even two of those six. With their system depth up front, I think they'll be looking to move Stewart for a guy like Despres and something else . . . something that won't break the budget.

Only way, IMO, they move him during the season is if Stewart ends up back in Hitch's doghouse or they're getting an affordable impact defenseman coming their way.
Our budget doesn't necessarily mean that we are going to have to move any of those 6. I suspect that we are going to have to choose between resigning McDonald or Stewart, but we will have no problems with Petro, Shattenkirk, Berglund, Cole and Russell. Hell, the Blues could roll 4 impressive scoring lines next season for around $57m if we have that budget and wanted to go down that crazy route.

You are right about the probability that Stewart will remain in St. Louis until at least the summer though. If anyone wants him before then, they are going to have to make a very significant offer.

Of course, if we go deep into the playoffs then the extra money generated, plus increased merchandise and ticket sales for next season will make it easier for us to spend that bit extra to keep players around.

Old
01-28-2013, 12:02 AM
PensFan6687

Someone told me some rumour that's Devin Setoguchi for Simon Despres. *shrugs*

Nevermind, saw it posted earlier in this thread. I am not on top of these things like I used to be. hehe

Old
01-28-2013, 12:03 AM
PensFan6687

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprootsMasterFlex View Post
You value Dumoulin more than Despres?
I do! However, I think they are close.

Old
01-28-2013, 01:42 AM
Honour Over Glory

I still don't want Chris Stewart anywhere near this team.

I'd rather have Ryan Malone back at this point, all of the other ideas, good god...

Old
01-28-2013, 02:00 AM
Honour Over Glory

Before Shero traded any prospects or picks away, I'd rather see Beau called up and given a shot in maybe a 2-3 game try-out. If it fails, it fails, kid goes back down to the AHL to learn and get better and Shero then has to look over his scouts reports on players and decide what to do next.

It couldn't hurt.

Old
01-28-2013, 02:30 AM
deakka

Am i the only one thinking we COULD trade Malkin? Sure, we would give up the best player in the deal. But im starting to think that in some cases quantity might be better than quality.

We would downgrade @ center ofc. But Malkin should bring in a really good center, a good top 6 winger, a good prospect and a 1st.

i know we wont trade in division but example from NYI: Tavares, Okposo, Niederreiter, 1st

Or from a team like the Blues: Berglund, one of their 1 billion wingers (Perron, Tarasenko, Oshie), a 1st, and Schwartz

This is not saying any of theese teams would trade with us, but just laying out the framework.

Things this will do for us is spreading out the wealth so to say. The center we get back will make less money than Malkin (and ofc produce less) But we will also get better at the forward position while also strenghtening our farm.

I dont know, but sometimes i feel like we are wasting talent with not being able to provide our centers with good enough wingers.

Note; Im not saying we SHOULD trade Malkin, but this is just an idea ive been thinking of lately.

Closed Thread