HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Encompassing Winger Acquisition Thread

Closed Thread

Old
01-28-2013, 09:11 PM
Fire Shero*

vCash: 500
I don't understand all of the praise for Jeffrey. He had a nice string of games 2 years ago but has looked ordinary in pretty much every other game. Does anyone actually like him or does this all go back to our pathetic prospects and he is one one of the better guys. (doesnt say much) He will be turning 25 next month, and Sutter pretty much has dibs on the third line center. He is just another fringe NHL player that the pens have been pumping out since we drafted Staal.

Old
01-28-2013, 09:16 PM
SEALBound
RIP Elmer

There was only one way we were gonna get Ryan...and its playing in Carolina right now.

Old
01-28-2013, 09:18 PM
Fire Shero*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEALBound View Post
There was only one way we were gonna get Ryan...and its playing in Carolina right now.
This. I love how people want all of these great players but refuse to trade Brandon Sutter. Come on people.

Last edited by Fire Shero*: 01-28-2013 at 10:29 PM.
Old
01-28-2013, 09:25 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Wingers View Post
This. I love how people want all of these great players but refuse to trade Brent effing Sutter. Come on people.
Brent Sutter is retired. He's Brandon's dad actually.

Old
01-28-2013, 09:28 PM
MrBurghundy
Relax

Quote:
I don't understand all of the praise for Jeffrey. He had a nice string of games 2 years ago but has looked ordinary in pretty much every other game. Does anyone actually like him or does this all go back to our pathetic prospects and he is one one of the better guys. (doesnt say much) He will be turning 25 next month, and Sutter pretty much has dibs on the third line center. He is just another fringe NHL player that the pens have been pumping out since we drafted Staal.
I love the mentality of our fanbase that thinks that every player who doesn't immediately come in and look awesome must suck. Most players actually need to do this little thing called develop which usually takes more than a single abbreviated season in the league.

Old
01-28-2013, 09:34 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
I love the mentality of our fanbase that thinks that every player who doesn't immediately come in and look awesome must suck. Most players actually need to do this little thing called develop which usually takes more than a single abbreviated season in the league.
Why do you automatically assume that? There are other reasons ya know, first and foremost: The player plays and someone is personally unimpressed. He's played a decent amount of hockey for someone who might not be ready. Plus no one was saying he was still raw two years ago when he looked half decent. He either is or he isn't.

What do you honestly envision him becoming? He's a natural center with a skinny build, isn't physical, no noteworthy physical talent, and doesn't seem to be anything special in a checking role. You tell me what's left.

Old
01-28-2013, 09:34 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
I agree.

Bobby Ryan is under contract for a while so the only way to get him is through a hockey trade where we fill some of Anaheim's needs but they need a 2C + other assets and we don't have one to offer.

The only winger in Anaheim that we have a snowballs chance in hell of landing is Perry and that's only if he won't re-sign with the Ducks and Shero wants to make an aggressive attempt to land a premium rental. Selling off a rental isn't a hockey deal. You don't worry as much about need. Usually you just take the best assets you can get for your rental and figure out the rest later. So they may not need our D prospects or whatever else we have to offer but if it's the best combination of assets they'd probably have to take it.

Last edited by Captain Hook: 01-28-2013 at 09:39 PM.
Old
01-28-2013, 09:37 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

You want Ryan? Dude it's easy. Unproven prospects and a late first rounder. Nevermind how unrealistic that is and the cap issues that might come about without trading some salary. Plus, who wouldn't want all our amazing prospects??? They're better than anyone else's! Why? Because they're ours!

Old
01-28-2013, 09:45 PM
MrBurghundy
Relax

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
Why do you automatically assume that? There are other reasons ya know, first and foremost: The player plays and someone is personally unimpressed. He's played a decent amount of hockey for someone who might not be ready. Plus no one was saying he was still raw two years ago when he looked half decent. He either is or he isn't.

What do you honestly envision him becoming? He's a natural center with a skinny build, isn't physical, no noteworthy physical talent, and doesn't seem to be anything special in a checking role. You tell me what's left.
3rd wheel on a top line or a good 3rd line center. I also assume that by the ridiculous posts I read here every day expecting every young player to wow them, and when they make mistakes that rookies typically make , they are deemed to suck. There are just too many spoiled fans here that have no concept of how long it takes, or the growing pains associated with developing a player.

People also have unrealistic expectations of what these prospects can actually do too which contributes to this, but thats another argument.

Old
01-28-2013, 09:54 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
3rd wheel on a top line or a good 3rd line center. I also assume that by the ridiculous posts I read here every day expecting every young player to wow them, and when they make mistakes that rookies typically make , they are deemed to suck. There are just too many spoiled fans here that have no concept of how long it takes, or the growing pains associated with developing a player.

People also have unrealistic expectations of what these prospects can actually do too which contributes to this, but thats another argument.
One thing I wanted to add was that with Jeffrey it might also be the knee, so it may not ALWAYS be a shot at the guy when someone says they don't like what they see.

Again, he's not a winger. I put it in lighter terms before but I'll just say it now. I'll cite my evaluation of him and his talents in my last post.

3rd line center? Sure, you can say that about literally hundreds of prospects and be safe with it.

My honest opinion is he's not a top 2 center and he's not a winger. I don't think there's any evidence one way or the other he can be a checking center. He will be 25 next month. He might want to separate himself, and that goes for a handful of their other prospects as well.

Old
01-28-2013, 10:20 PM
Fire Shero*

Quote:

Look at all the young players we have had to watch fail since Shero was hired. We were spoiled by Malkin, Crosby and Staal. But since Staal we haven't had any respectable forwards developed by this team. It's come to the point where I am expecting every forward groomed by this team to become a fringe NHL player, best case.

Tangradi and Jeffrey will be added to that list of fringe nhl players once overrated by this fanbase whether its this season or in a couple of years. they'll join the likes Angelo Espisito, Luca Caputi, (remember the hype around him, Jesus) Erik Christensen (pre shero), Carl Sneep, Brian Strait, Kevin Veilleux, Alex Grant, Casey Pierro-zabotel, Philip Samuelson, etc. We had fans defend chris conner. We are far from spoiled. The list doesn't even include his dumbass signings/trades like Comrie, pesonnen, etc.

Don't act like we've been spoiled, we've been abused if anything by talentless young guys wasting our time or the band aid approach to addressing the wingers with guys that are horrible

Last edited by Fire Shero*: 01-28-2013 at 10:28 PM.
Old
01-28-2013, 10:25 PM
EdwardBlake
This is all a joke.

Quote:
Look at the dozens of players we have had to watch fail since Shero was hired. We were spoiled by Malkin, Crosby and Staal. But since Staal we haven't had any respectable forwards developed by this team. It's come to the point where I am expecting every forward groomed by this team to become a fringe NHL player. Tangradi and Jeffrey will be added to that list of fringe nhl players once overrated by this fanbase whether its this season or in a couple of years. they'll join the likes Angelo Espisito, Luca Caputi, ( remember the hype around him, Jesus) Erik Christensen ( pre shero), Carl Sneep, Brian Strait, Kevin Veilleux, Alex Grant, Casey Pierro-zabotel, Alex pechursky, Philip Samuelson, etc.

Don't act like we've been spoiled, we've been abused
The hope that I have is that since our pipe line on defense, even if Shero trades one, is flat out stacked. I'm praying... ****ing praying that he takes at least 2 forwards in rounds 1 and 2 of the draft this year. I want some hope for young talent at forward in the pipeline for once.

Old
01-28-2013, 10:30 PM
Fire Shero*

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post

Nicely stated. Agree 100%

Old
01-28-2013, 10:32 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
The only winger in Anaheim that we have a snowballs chance in hell of landing is Perry and that's only if he won't re-sign with the Ducks and Shero wants to make an aggressive attempt to land a premium rental. Selling off a rental isn't a hockey deal. You don't worry as much about need. Usually you just take the best assets you can get for your rental and figure out the rest later. So they may not need our D prospects or whatever else we have to offer but if it's the best combination of assets they'd probably have to take it.

I don't know what they'd ask and I remember a couple people here saying he's a real dewsh off the ice (no idea about in the room but never heard any complaints coming out of Anaheim the way we did with Semin in Washington etc)... but I'd actually prefer Perry to Ryan. If we could get him even cheaper than Ryan (not 100% sure about that even under the circumstance -- there's a reasonable chance he'll re-sign / is not pressuring for a trade), that would be two trade miracles in 3 seasons.

Corey Perry is a freakin PITA to play against, can rack up both big A or G totals (whichever roll you give him), and he is great at playing on the boards / on teh forecheck. He would **** some people up / be the absolute perfect answer to Philly and Giroux in the playoffs. He would destroy Giroux IMO if the red headed step child started to get too chippy with Sid, etc. Unlike Kunitz who can be tough and get some garbage goals only, Perry can be tough, fight, and score the skill goals. Perry would make them pay ™. Plus how much more awesome could a rivalry get? I mean the level of Pens hate with Perry on this team would go through the roof. A thing of beauty.

He would be the sandpaper people sometimes talk about without sacrificing skill to get it. I don't know if there's anything between he and Sid but I can't think of a more perfect winger for him under this system.

Last edited by Darth Vitale: 01-28-2013 at 10:39 PM.
Old
01-28-2013, 10:38 PM
Fire Shero*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fictionzero View Post
The hope that I have is that since our pipe line on defense, even if Shero trades one, is flat out stacked. I'm praying... ****ing praying that he takes at least 2 forwards in rounds 1 and 2 of the draft this year. I want some hope for young talent at forward in the pipeline for once.
Agreed. But I thought it was a no brainer that Shero would have used ONE of the two first round picks on a forward considering he acquired Harrison Roupp and Brian Dumoulin before the draft. Plus, the pens had bourtuzzo, strait, Harrington, morrow, and Despres. It's mind boggling that Shero took 2 more dmen. He's clearing trying the Nashville approach, too dumb to evaluate forwards so let's hoard dmen

Old
01-28-2013, 10:42 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Can't you guys hear the *****ing and moaning, if we ever were lucky enough to acquire that guy? "Corey and Crysby are such little *****es! Those calls were BS! Perry ***** us! I'm writing the league office!"

Even Milbury would complain; it would be beautiful. I'm tellin' ya... if we ever get that guy... THAT's the year for the "Embrace the Hate" avatars. And we should put the ugliest Corey Perry scowl we can find on the internets on there.

Last edited by Darth Vitale: 01-28-2013 at 10:50 PM.
Old
01-28-2013, 10:43 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
i'm pretty close to adding Nick Johnson to the big board. he had a 1G, 1A tonight.

Old
01-28-2013, 10:48 PM
MrBurghundy
Relax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Crafton View Post
i'm pretty close to adding Nick Johnson to the big board. he had a 1G, 1A tonight.
...lol

Old
01-28-2013, 10:50 PM
SEALBound
RIP Elmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
I don't know what they'd ask and I remember a couple people here saying he's a real dewsh off the ice (no idea about in the room but never heard any complaints coming out of Anaheim the way we did with Semin in Washington etc)... but I'd actually prefer Perry to Ryan. If we could get him even cheaper than Ryan (not 100% sure about that even under the circumstance -- there's a reasonable chance he'll re-sign / is not pressuring for a trade), that would be two trade miracles in 3 seasons.

Corey Perry is a freakin PITA to play against, can rack up both big A or G totals (whichever roll you give him), and he is great at playing on the boards / on teh forecheck. He would **** some people up / be the absolute perfect answer to Philly and Giroux in the playoffs. He would destroy Giroux IMO if the red headed step child started to get too chippy with Sid, etc. Unlike Kunitz who can be tough and get some garbage goals only, Perry can be tough, fight, and score the skill goals. Perry would make them pay ™. Plus how much more awesome could a rivalry get? I mean the level of Pens hate with Perry on this team would go through the roof. A thing of beauty.

He would be the sandpaper people sometimes talk about without sacrificing skill to get it. I don't know if there's anything between he and Sid but I can't think of a more perfect winger for him under this system.

Old
01-28-2013, 10:52 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Quote:
Yes... there is understanding here. Understanding of the beauty.

(That's right... Corey Perry's warrior spirit was in the briefcase. At once disarming and treacherous.)

Old
01-28-2013, 10:58 PM
Hottubber

Watching the Nucks kings game right now and Ferraro is saying gagne is in Sutters dog house. Playing on the 4th line. Wonder if a change of scenery would do him any good. His injuries are a major concern but he still has good hands speed and creativity.

Old
01-28-2013, 11:04 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottubber View Post
Watching the Nucks kings game right now and Ferraro is saying gagne is in Sutters dog house. Playing on the 4th line. Wonder if a change of scenery would do him any good. His injuries are a major concern but he still has good hands speed and creativity.
he just made that PPG happen. if that doesn't get him out of the doghouse, what will?

Old
01-28-2013, 11:09 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Crafton View Post
Great to hear. This guy worked so hard... From the E to where he is now and never *****ed, just kept doing what he had to do. Letestu was the same way and is carving an NHL career for himself.

Guys like Kassian get sent back to the A and they pout and float around, these guys and Tangradi included, never pouted and just keep pushing on no matter what walls were thrown up in front of them and played hard.

I see that Vermette had another goal tonight... Has four points now. He was something else in the playoffs. I still wish Shero had found a way to grab him. He would look really nice on Crosby's wing about now.

Old
01-28-2013, 11:18 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Letestu looked pretty good on the PK tonight. these guys who succeed elsewhere (Strait included) are a testament to the Pens scouting/development and unlike others i don't find myself feeling bitter but actually reassured that the organization does possess some modicum of competence (even if they've yet to hit a home room in terms of prospect development).

Old
01-28-2013, 11:35 PM
Tender Rip
#Haz supa line mates

Johnson, Letestu and Strait are - it would seem - all model down to earth professionals who have done everything they possibly could to give themselves a chance at the NHL level.

If we want to pad ourselves on the back for having developed them.... I suppose we can. More likely however, with their personalities and commitment they would have made it to the NHL anywhere. And quicker, if they had been developed by many/most other teams. Full credit for drafting them though... well, picking him up in Letestu's case.

It would tell me more about our development nous if we got took a talented unprofessional kid and ironed out his kinks.

Closed Thread