HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

All Encompassing Winger Acquisition Thread

Closed Thread

Old
01-29-2013, 11:30 AM
Goalie_Bob
1992 Vezina (2nd)

vCash: 500
I would include Beau Bennett in a trade for Perry or Ryan in a heartbeat. I don't see anything that says that BB is going to any where near their equal. And if I could have Perry or Ryan riding shotgun to Sid for the next 4-5 years. Then it is a no-brainer.

For example; not trading Milan Kraft for Keith Tkachuk or Rob Blake when Mario Lemieux was still in his prime after his comeback prior to the 2001 trading deadline. The past three years should have taught us that just rolling out Sid and Geno doesn't automatically garner the Pens the cup. If the Pens feel that a trade for Perry or Ryan can greatly improve the chances, then they should do it. Just like when they picked up Hossa.

Just imagine this going into the 2001 playoffs.

Tkachuk-Lemieux-Jagr
Straka-Lang-Kovalev

Would they have won the cup. Maybe, maybe not. But not taking that shot with Lemieux in full stride was a horrible mistake because of what happened in the years following.

Old
01-29-2013, 11:49 AM
Fire Shero*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goalie_Bob View Post
I would include Beau Bennett in a trade for Perry or Ryan in a heartbeat. I don't see anything that says that BB is going to any where near their equal. And if I could have Perry or Ryan riding shotgun to Sid for the next 4-5 years. Then it is a no-brainer.

For example; not trading Milan Kraft for Keith Tkachuk or Rob Blake when Mario Lemieux was still in his prime after his comeback prior to the 2001 trading deadline. The past three years should have taught us that just rolling out Sid and Geno doesn't automatically garner the Pens the cup. If the Pens feel that a trade for Perry or Ryan can greatly improve the chances, then they should do it. Just like when they picked up Hossa.

Just imagine this going into the 2001 playoffs.

Tkachuk-Lemieux-Jagr
Straka-Lang-Kovalev

Would they have won the cup. Maybe, maybe not. But not taking that shot with Lemieux in full stride was a horrible mistake because of what happened in the years following.
Were the pens really offered Tkachuk for Kraft? If so ouch.

Pens fans are hesitant to trade any prospect because of the Markus Naslund trade. One of the worst trades over the past 20 years. But hey it happens.

Old
01-29-2013, 11:56 AM
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!

vCash: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Wingers View Post

Pens fans are hesitant to trade any prospect because of the Markus Naslund trade. One of the worst trades over the past 20 years. But hey it happens.
I hope that's not the reason, because that's not exactly the same thing.

Naslund for Stojanov (sp) was more of a prospect/unproven youngster for prospect/unproven youngster deal. Both of them still had yet to prove themselves at the NHL level.

A deal involving Perry or Ryan for Bennett is entirely different. Perry/Ryan are established NHL stars already. So it's not like you don't know what you're getting. You don't have to speculate with them and hope they pan out.

Old
01-29-2013, 11:58 AM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Were the pens really offered Tkachuk for Kraft? If so ouch.
Absolutely not. I can even remember Patrick being interviewed and saying they wanted too much from our team. Does anyone honestly think it was just Kraft? Nonsense. Tkachuk was still kind of in his prime too. He was a hot commodity. Plus notice Tkachul kept getting traded at the deadline and went right back to the Blues the following year

Old
01-29-2013, 11:59 AM
Dupree13

Best hope is Iginla imo. His price tag will be high but his full NMC should keep it down some. And even though it'd be a rental, if things go well there should at least be a chance of getting him re-upped at a remotely manageable price. That seems like the best case scenario that's semi-realistic.

Old
01-29-2013, 12:36 PM

Right now I'm hoping the Pens can kill 2 birds with one stone. Bring in Ballard and Raymond.

Old
01-29-2013, 12:51 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
Right now I'm hoping the Pens can kill 2 birds with one stone. Bring in Ballard and Raymond.
I would be pissed as hell if that happened. Raymond isn't an upgrade. And I'll take Niskanen over Ballard. Especially from a contract standpoint.

A guy I'd like to have on Geno's LW, Jamie McGinn. Non stop energy player. Defensively responsible. Some good hands around the net. Size. Skating ability. Solid third wheel on a scoring line.

I'd really like to have one of Clutterbuck, Kulemin or McGinn to help replace our aging forward group.

Old
01-29-2013, 12:54 PM
Hottubber

Quote:
Right now Raymond is probably one of the best canucks forwards, but he lacks creativity, vision, and isnt great in the corners. He is on a contract year, so that may light a fire under him. I really dont see him as being much of an upgrade on Dupuis.

Old
01-29-2013, 12:57 PM
Hottubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
I would be pissed as hell if that happened. Raymond isn't an upgrade. And I'll take Niskanen over Ballard. Especially from a contract standpoint.

A guy I'd like to have on Geno's LW, Jamie McGinn. Non stop energy player. Defensively responsible. Some good hands around the net. Size. Skating ability. Solid third wheel on a scoring line.

I'd really like to have one of Clutterbuck, Kulemin or McGinn to help replace our aging forward group.
A bunch of my buddies who are sharks fans were pissed when they dealt McGinn. A fan favourite. That deal with the avs is still strange

Old
01-29-2013, 01:01 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottubber View Post
A bunch of my buddies who are sharks fans were pissed when they dealt McGinn. A fan favourite. That deal with the avs is still strange
Maybe the Avs will make an equally weird trade and swap him with TK. I remember a rumor last year where Shero was trying to trade TK for a better fit for our top 6.

Old
01-29-2013, 01:30 PM
ginner classic

Quote:
I think Chris Higgins is a better fit. He brings even more to the table and is a better support for an elite center. Higgins can do more on the second unit PP, as well as second unit PK.

Ballard is having a very good start to the year. Canucks have to move him by the start of next season, but with the shortage of D around the NHL and his improved play, the price is going up.

Old
01-29-2013, 01:36 PM
LetangInTheSO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginner classic View Post
I think Chris Higgins is a better fit. He brings even more to the table and is a better support for an elite center. Higgins can do more on the second unit PP, as well as second unit PK.

Ballard is haveing a very good start to the year. Canucks have to move him by hte start of next season, but with the shortage of D around the NHl and his improved play, the prie is going up.
My two teams are the Pens and the Canucks, and their fan bases are eerily similar. It seems like yesterday that Ballard was in the dog house with the Nux fan base. They would have traded him for nothing moer than a salary dump like we did with Z. All of the sudden, five games into this season, Canucks fans think he's the most valuable healthy player on their roster outside of the Sedins.

Higgins and Booth are good players, but only marginal upgrades on the Chris Kunitz we've seen for the last few seasons (NOT the one we've seen this season). I like them both and think they'd make good additions, but I wouldn't mind setting our sights a little higher, particularly if we're giving up assets (as opposed to UFA signings during the off season).

Old
01-29-2013, 01:49 PM
ginner classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetangInTheSO View Post
My two teams are the Pens and the Canucks, and their fan bases are eerily similar. It seems like yesterday that Ballard was in the dog house with the Nux fan base. They would have traded him for nothing moer than a salary dump like we did with Z. All of the sudden, five games into this season, Canucks fans think he's the most valuable healthy player on their roster outside of the Sedins.

Higgins and Booth are good players, but only marginal upgrades on the Chris Kunitz we've seen for the last few seasons (NOT the one we've seen this season). I like them both and think they'd make good additions, but I wouldn't mind setting our sights a little higher, particularly if we're giving up assets (as opposed to UFA signings during the off season).
Booth is injured and expensive. Higgins cap hit, two way play and production make him a cheap acquisition (if the Canucks are out of the running at trade deadline time.) If the Canucks get a forward back in a Luongo trade one of Raymond or Higgins could be available. I can't see Booth having any trade value with that contract.

Old
01-29-2013, 01:51 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
I hope that's not the reason, because that's not exactly the same thing.

Naslund for Stojanov (sp) was more of a prospect/unproven youngster for prospect/unproven youngster deal. Both of them still had yet to prove themselves at the NHL level.

A deal involving Perry or Ryan for Bennett is entirely different. Perry/Ryan are established NHL stars already. So it's not like you don't know what you're getting. You don't have to speculate with them and hope they pan out.
Naslund really wasn't that unproven...he had 52 points at the time of the trade that season and 151 regular season NHL games under his belt.

Compare that to Stojanov, who had 1 assist in his 62 NHL games with the Canucks in his career.

Ugh. That'd be like Montreal trading us Max Pacioretty for Eric Tangradi.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
01-29-2013, 02:09 PM
Fire Shero*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Naslund really wasn't that unproven...he had 52 points at the time of the trade that season and 151 regular season NHL games under his belt.

Compare that to Stojanov, who had 1 assist in his 62 NHL games with the Canucks in his career.

Good point. Naslund scored 19 goals and 33 assists in 66 games for the pens before being dealt to Vancouver. He has 55 total points that year between Pitt and Vancouver. Can you imagine a young pens player putting up 20+ goals and 30 assists? He'd he given the key to the city after all the horrible forward prospects since Staal. I'm sure Eric "Kevin Stevens" Tangradi will come close to that this year....in the AHL

Old
01-29-2013, 02:11 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Good point. Naslund scored 19 goals and 33 assists in 66 games for the pens before being dealt to Vancouver. He has 55 total points that year between Pitt and Vancouver. Can you imagine a young pens player putting up 20+ goals and 30 assists? He'd he given the key to the city after all the horrible forward prospects since Staal.
Dude you don't know what you're talking about. You're just impatient and spoiled by our star players.

Old
01-29-2013, 04:12 PM
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!

vCash: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post

Gah. Brainfart. For some reason I thought Naslund was traded after his 11 point rookie season.

But I'll be stubborn and still say it's not quite a Perry/Ryan situation, since he still wasn't as established yet like they were.

Old
01-29-2013, 04:22 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
The thing that always pissed me off about that trade was that Naslund scored a hat trick in the first game I ever went to and then added a goal and an assist in the second game I went to. He was quickly becoming my second favorite player.

Man, that 95-96 season was fun...****ing Panthers. My first two games were a 7-2 win over the Senators and a 9-4 win over the Whalers.

Old
01-29-2013, 04:48 PM
Goalie_Bob
1992 Vezina (2nd)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
Absolutely not. I can even remember Patrick being interviewed and saying they wanted too much from our team. Does anyone honestly think it was just Kraft? Nonsense. Tkachuk was still kind of in his prime too. He was a hot commodity. Plus notice Tkachul kept getting traded at the deadline and went right back to the Blues the following year
It wasn't just for Kraft. It was something like the Hossa trade and Patrick said they wanted to much. That's GM Speak for I over estimated my prospects and I didn't give the best player in the world one last chance to win a cup.

Old
01-29-2013, 05:13 PM
ObsessedCreative
I hate Dan Bylsma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidTheKid8787 View Post
I don't think theres any chance Ryan lands here.
Grew up a huge Flyer fan and isn't gonna be that guy to play for a rival.
GOOOOOOOD GRIEFFFFFFFFFFFFF... SOMANYfacepalms.gif

Old
01-29-2013, 05:17 PM
penzweiser
Rookie User

What would it take to get erikson

Old
01-29-2013, 05:22 PM
ObsessedCreative
I hate Dan Bylsma.

Quote:
I'd seriously vomit if this was Shero's "solution" to fix the top six and help out the back end... YIKES!

Old
01-29-2013, 05:27 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
Originally Posted by penzweiser View Post
What would it take to get erikson
nothing the Pens are willing to part with

Old
01-29-2013, 05:34 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetangInTheSO View Post
With regards to the character question, I worked for the Canadian men's hockey team during the 2010 Olympics and spent a decent amount of time around Perry. Nothing really notable about his personality one way or the other. ... I would suspect that any rumors about his personality - one way or the other - are overblown.
I tend to have that view as well with no substantiated issues ever having been reported, in a market where it would be hard to hide something like that. Unlike a Stewart type, Perry would be worth the risk of giving up good assets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
D and Matt Moulsen too.
Actually I like Moulson the more I watch him. He's legit. They'll never trade him to us but it would be a decent fit should he ever go out west then be on the board some deadline in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedCreative View Post
Montreal: Despres, Tangradi, 2nd Round Pick

Pittsburgh: Gionta
Overpayment and I'm not sure if he'd work out here or not even though he is a skilled player.

Quote:
Did anyone else see the Sharks/ VanCan game? I want Clowe ASAP.

Also what is a realistic package for Ryan? Sutter, Despres and a 1st...
Any package that includes Sutter is decidedly unrealistic, given who we gave up to get him and the fact that this team values C first and foremost. A fair price might involve Kunitz (wouldn't solve our numbers problem but would upgrade the position for sure) and Despres. Maybe a mid-round pick coming back or something like that. Hard to say with Clowe.

He's not really in the Perry category as far as guaranteeing a big price tag, but he's also better than guys like Kunitz so... I don't know. Maybe a 1st and their preference of a stud D prospect or Kunitz?

Old
01-29-2013, 05:39 PM
mpp9

Best realistic package we could offer for Ryan is Bennett+Despres+1st. Other teams will be able to beat that. And they need centers more than anything.

Closed Thread