HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Encompassing Winger Acquisition Thread

Closed Thread

Old
02-02-2013, 08:59 AM
mpp9

vCash: 500
Last year, I think TK+Harrington could have worked.

This year? Nothing less than someone DA views as a good partner for Pietrangelo. Stewart is expendable in that scenario. I think Niskanen is an upgrade IMO. Despres if he keeps playing well. The latter being more beneficial as they can control his contract for quite some time.

I'm one of the few probably but I'd do Despres for Stewart. Even add a little to get it done. But I'm convinced Stewart is perfect for Sid and the team. Can lock him up in the summer and be done with the search for Sid's linemate.

Make a trade for a a guy like Morris or Klesla and I think we're fine.

Old
02-02-2013, 09:40 AM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
Steen is probably the realistic guy. But would love to see Perron or Stewart here.
Steen is actually the most untouchable now. Hitchcock LOVES him, plays him at center and on the power play point. There's no way Steen is going anywhere as long as Hitchcock is coaching.

Old
02-02-2013, 10:44 AM
12IsGreaterThan47
BEN LOVEJOY

Quote:
Maatta or Dumoulin. Although I'm high on Dumoulin and want to see what he can become while a member of the Pens.
Ooops, I totally forgot Maatta, Too many d prospectssssss

Old
02-02-2013, 12:05 PM
Sideline

vCash: 8981
Here's something that I've been tossing around in my mind the last couple days:

Toronto:
Fleury
Tangradi

Pittsburgh:
Kulemin
Biggs
Scrivens or Reimer

The hockey trade portion of the deal is Fleury for Kulemin and Biggs. Tangradi and the goalies are just there to fill the newly created roster holes. Toronto gets a youngish legitimate NHL starter and a guy that can slot into a 3rd or 4th line role. Pittsburgh gets a good fit for the Malkin line and adds some much needed depth to the forward prospect pool.

Thoughts?

Old
02-02-2013, 12:08 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideline View Post
Here's something that I've been tossing around in my mind the last couple days:

Toronto:
Fleury
Tangradi

Pittsburgh:
Kulemin
Biggs
Scrivens or Reimer

The hockey trade portion of the deal is Fleury for Kulemin and Biggs. Tangradi and the goalies are just there to fill the newly created roster holes. Toronto gets a youngish legitimate NHL starter and a guy that can slot into a 3rd or 4th line role. Pittsburgh gets a good fit for the Malkin line and adds some much needed depth to the forward prospect pool.

Thoughts?
now we need to find a new franchise goalie

Old
02-02-2013, 12:30 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
now we need to find a new franchise goalie
Why, do we have one now?

Old
02-02-2013, 12:37 PM
Sideline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
Why, do we have one now?
He's on the down slope of his career, but Tomas Vokoun still probably has a 2 or 3 good years left.

Old
02-02-2013, 01:28 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
Why, do we have one now?
No, but we have a 28 yr old who can still be a decent netminder.

Quote:
He's on the down slope of his career, but Tomas Vokoun still probably has a 2 or 3 good years left.
Am torn on this. Yes Vokun could probably be a quality option for 2-3 years... But then do you want to have to worry about netminding? Or do you hang on to what you have? I could see MAF getting moved later on if he sucks this year and potentially next... but not until then.

02-02-2013, 01:52 PM
Sideline

Quote:

Am torn on this. Yes Vokun could probably be a quality option for 2-3 years... But then do you want to have to worry about netminding? Or do you hang on to what you have? I could see MAF getting moved later on if he sucks this year and potentially next... but not until then.
I think 3 years is long enough to find another guy. Backstrom, Thomas, and Smith are free agents this year. Kiprusoff, Hiller, Elliott, and Halak the year after.

Old
02-02-2013, 01:57 PM
Riptide

Quote:
I think 3 years is long enough to find another guy. Backstrom, Thomas, and Smith are free agents this year. Kiprusoff, Hiller, Elliott, and Halak the year after.
Is it? Ask Toronto. Is Elliott a #1? Thomas is done. So there's Backstrom, Smith, Kipper, Hiller and Halak. Yet 3 of those teams need those guys. Chances are maybe 1-2 of them make it to free agency.

Edit, it's not impossible, and I wouldn't be heartbroken if MAF was moved and Vokun given the starting job.

Old
02-02-2013, 02:45 PM
Zirakzigil

vCash: 494
MAF isnt the problem. Had a solid game today. I liked what I saw from Boychuk as well. Hopefully hes given a proper chance in the top 6.

Old
02-02-2013, 03:01 PM
Sideline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zirakzigil View Post
MAF isnt the problem. Had a solid game today. I liked what I saw from Boychuk as well. Hopefully hes given a proper chance in the top 6.
I don't think Fleury's the problem either. What I'm debating is whether the Penguins need him. That wasn't a question when the other option was Brent Johnson or Mathieu Garon. The only reason Vokoun wasn't offered a dump truck full of money as a UFA is his age; he's no worse than Fleury's equal as a player.

Last edited by Sideline: 02-02-2013 at 03:17 PM.
Old
02-02-2013, 03:10 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

we have a guy that can be the answer for 10 years or so. don't trade him because we have a guy who can probably do it for 2 or 3. We don't want to be looking for goalies.

Old
02-02-2013, 05:03 PM
Jules Winnfield

Quote:

Yes, let's just trade Fleury. When Vokoun takes on a heavier workload and pulls his groin again, then we'll really be set for a cup run with Zatkoff leading the team...

Old
02-02-2013, 05:06 PM
JTG

Trading Fleury is a horrendous idea. I've seen multiple teams battle with goaltending for decades. Trust me...you don't want to be a fan that has to watch a revolving door of goaltenders. ****, we watched it here for some time. It's not fun.

If you're getting rid of him, you don't do it for a stop gap. That's sort of why I have been a proponent of drafting one with some pedigree. Then you'd have a succession plan.

Old
02-02-2013, 05:48 PM
MrBurghundy
Never forget: #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Trading Fleury is a horrendous idea. I've seen multiple teams battle with goaltending for decades. Trust me...you don't want to be a fan that has to watch a revolving door of goaltenders. ****, we watched it here for some time. It's not fun.

If you're getting rid of him, you don't do it for a stop gap. That's sort of why I have been a proponent of drafting one with some pedigree. Then you'd have a succession plan.
We desperately need to start thinking about a succession plan too. By the time we get one drafted and developed, Fleury will be in his mid 30's.

Old
02-02-2013, 05:54 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
We desperately need to start thinking about a succession plan too. By the time we get one drafted and developed, Fleury will be in his mid 30's.
I've been wanting to draft a goalie with some pedigree for years. You'll undoubtedly have those people point to those goalies who have been undrafted guys or who were drafted late and say we don't need to.

Old
02-02-2013, 05:55 PM
MrBurghundy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
I've been wanting to draft a goalie with some pedigree for years. You'll undoubtedly have those people point to those goalies who have been undrafted guys or who were drafted late and say we don't need to.
Yeah I know, but how many of those same types of goalies are out there that never make it?

Old
02-02-2013, 05:56 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Didn't we just draft two goalies?

Old
02-02-2013, 05:56 PM
JTG

Quote:
Yeah I know, but how many of those same types of goalies are out there that never make it?
I think goaltending is really just a stroke of luck. At least drafting one highly, you have a guy who has been a standout on every level. Then again, Jack Campbell was one of my favorite prospects in his draft year.

Old
02-02-2013, 05:57 PM
MrBurghundy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Didn't we just draft two goalies?
We did, but who knows if they are ever going to develop into anything. I wouldn't mind getting a higher pedigree one in the pipeline.

Old
02-02-2013, 05:59 PM
JTG

Quote:
We did, but who knows if they are ever going to develop into anything. I wouldn't mind getting a higher pedigree one in the pipeline.
Me neither. And really groom him to be an heir apparent. If there were a goaltender on the board and he was the BPA in the top 3 rounds, I'd take him.

Old
02-02-2013, 06:15 PM
Malkinstheman

IMO we should trade for a high pedigree goalie that his further in his development so a projection can actually be made. But those kind of goalies are important to their respect teams unless they are further down the depth chart kind of like ben bishop was.

Old
02-03-2013, 01:16 AM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
a few more losses by the Kings and i might have to add Simon Gagné to the big board as a potential third wheel for Malkin and Neal.

Old
02-03-2013, 01:35 AM
Tender Rip
#Haz supa line mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zirakzigil View Post
MAF isnt the problem. Had a solid game today.
This team will win a majority of it games in the regular season where our goal tender has no business losing considering scoring chances for and against. Very few teams can say this.
What matters for this Penguins team is having a goalie who does not lose us games in the playoffs by himself and for him to occasionally steal a game we have no business winning.

I want Fleury to be that guy as much as the next guy, but the has had more playoff series where he was disgusting than he has had being great/good/better than average combined. Irrespective of the D in front of him having contributed negatively, in two of the past three seasons, he has been unacceptably bad.

Until he stands tall in the playoffs for us, I am afraid there is nothing he can do in the regular season that will dispel the doubts of many of us. Less so if he is Jekyll/Hide like in the regular season, often mixing great and mediocre/bad games. Don't know if that is fair, but it is reality.

Closed Thread