HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

All Encompassing Winger Acquisition Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-03-2013, 02:25 PM
  #901
WVP
Registered User
 
WVP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 13,025
vCash: 500
I guess that would just be an admission of Ovechkin not being the dude to build around for the next decade and trying to get rid of the contract. As that's a pretty sorry roster without him, even with Strombone1.

WVP is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 02:33 PM
  #902
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President
 
SprootsMasterFlex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,233
vCash: 500
I'm sure the Canucks are salvating at the chance to get Backstrom. They have a nice Swedish connection going there...

Luongo + ? (a good player)
For
Backstrom & one of their goalies

SprootsMasterFlex is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 02:35 PM
  #903
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President
 
SprootsMasterFlex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,233
vCash: 500
Of we can swap Kennedy for Dupuis on the 3rd line and trade TK in a deal involving us getting a nice winger for Sid, Id be ecstatic. Dupuis would be solid playing with Sutter and Cooke.

SprootsMasterFlex is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 03:05 PM
  #904
KIRK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 27,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SprootsMasterFlex View Post
Of we can swap Kennedy for Dupuis on the 3rd line and trade TK in a deal involving us getting a nice winger for Sid, Id be ecstatic. Dupuis would be solid playing with Sutter and Cooke.
That still would leave a hole at L2 LW, but it's definitely a start.

BTW, that's not a knock on Boychuk per say. He's playing his *** off.

KIRK is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 03:22 PM
  #905
nhindian
Registered User
 
nhindian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,414
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SprootsMasterFlex View Post
Z. Phillips and Setoguchi
For
Maatta and a pick (2nd or 3rd)


*** Minny was very high on Maatta and apparently in an interview before the Draft, Olli said that he was hoping to be picked by Minny. I'm quoting somebody from the Minny board. He'd also be invited with his ood friend Granlund.

*** Phillips would be perfect in our org. He fills a few needs easily.
Who is Phillips and what does he do?

nhindian is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 03:22 PM
  #906
nhindian
Registered User
 
nhindian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,414
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Getting Seto+Cluttberbuck would be unbelievable.
I'd give up Nisky and a 2nd for that.

Cal is a hitting machine.

nhindian is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 03:30 PM
  #907
KeepitinPitt
Registered User
 
KeepitinPitt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Gibsonia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,032
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to KeepitinPitt Send a message via AIM to KeepitinPitt
Quote:
Originally Posted by SprootsMasterFlex View Post
Z. Phillips and Setoguchi
For
Maatta and a pick (2nd or 3rd)


*** Minny was very high on Maatta and apparently in an interview before the Draft, Olli said that he was hoping to be picked by Minny. I'm quoting somebody from the Minny board. He'd also be invited with his ood friend Granlund.

*** Phillips would be perfect in our org. He fills a few needs easily.
I would be very happy with this trade.

KeepitinPitt is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 03:30 PM
  #908
penzweiser
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 154
vCash: 500
Boychuk, if he keeps this up will be a fixture on malkins wing. He looks better than neal did his first year.

penzweiser is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 03:48 PM
  #909
66-29-33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,470
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SprootsMasterFlex View Post
I'm sure the Canucks are salvating at the chance to get Backstrom. They have a nice Swedish connection going there...

Luongo + ? (a good player)
For
Backstrom & one of their goalies
Kesler would have to be in that deal, probably a top prospect too.

66-29-33 is online now  
Old
02-03-2013, 03:50 PM
  #910
KeepitinPitt
Registered User
 
KeepitinPitt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Gibsonia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,032
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to KeepitinPitt Send a message via AIM to KeepitinPitt
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhindian View Post
Who is Phillips and what does he do?
Phillips is one of Minnesota's wing prospects. He played with Despres in St. John when they won the Memorial Cup. I thought he was kind of overshadowed by some of his teammates going into the draft, but when I got a chance to watch the Sea Dogs play he really stood out as an offensive force. Others who have watched him more closely can probably give you more detail but from what I've witnessed his vision, passing, and offensive instincts are his best attributes. I'd be really happy to have him in our system.

KeepitinPitt is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 03:53 PM
  #911
66-29-33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,470
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepitinPitt View Post
Phillips is one of Minnesota's wing prospects. He played with Despres in St. John when they won the Memorial Cup. I thought he was kind of overshadowed by some of his teammates going into the draft, but when I got a chance to watch the Sea Dogs play he really stood out as an offensive force. Others who have watched him more closely can probably give you more detail but from what I've witnessed his vision, passing, and offensive instincts are his best attributes. I'd be really happy to have him in our system.
Seto, Clutterbuck, Phillips for ?

66-29-33 is online now  
Old
02-03-2013, 04:00 PM
  #912
KeepitinPitt
Registered User
 
KeepitinPitt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Gibsonia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,032
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to KeepitinPitt Send a message via AIM to KeepitinPitt
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-29-33 View Post
Seto, Clutterbuck, Phillips for ?
Honestly I have no idea what it would take to get those guys. SportsMasterFlex mentioned Maatta + a pick, and I think that would be a good starting point. Maatta for Phillips seems like an even swap for two unproven prospects, and I don't know what Minny expects to get in return if they trade Seto/Clutterbuck. I imagine we'd have to add something, possibly a roster player.

KeepitinPitt is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 04:28 PM
  #913
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä
 
Captain Hook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 13,389
vCash: 500
I'd be interested in Seto but the more I watch of Despres (even with the occasional mistake) the less comfortable I am trading him in a deal unless it's part of a package for an elite player.

A solid but unspectacular player like Niskanen seems like fair value for Seto but I'm still not sure Niskanen is expendable for us.

Captain Hook is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 04:38 PM
  #914
66-29-33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,470
vCash: 500
I'm fine trading Nisky, as good as he is with us we still need that Crosby winger. I think it would be Seto+ for Nisky, as Seto does not have much trade value with him regressing as bad as he is. Nisky+Maatta+2nd for Seto, Clutterbuck, Phillips or something.

66-29-33 is online now  
Old
02-03-2013, 04:44 PM
  #915
Riptide
Moderator
 
Riptide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Yukon
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,436
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-29-33 View Post
Seto, Clutterbuck, Phillips for ?
Maata, Despres, 2nd, TK. If we're lucky. Or Maatta, Nisky, TK, 2nd.

Clutterbuck is a nice piece, but I think it would be a lot easier to make a deal without him in it.

Seto, Phillips for Nisky & Maatta & maybe a 3rd/4th (only because Phillips is closer to being NHL ready than Maatta).

__________________
"It’s not as if Donald Fehr was lying to us, several players said. Rather, it’s as if he has been economical with information, these players believe, not sharing facts these players consider to be vital."
Riptide is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 04:48 PM
  #916
KeepitinPitt
Registered User
 
KeepitinPitt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Gibsonia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,032
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to KeepitinPitt Send a message via AIM to KeepitinPitt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
I'd be interested in Seto but the more I watch of Despres (even with the occasional mistake) the less comfortable I am trading him in a deal unless it's part of a package for an elite player.

A solid but unspectacular player like Niskanen seems like fair value for Seto but I'm still not sure Niskanen is expendable for us.
Yeah, I never liked the idea of trading Despres (or Morrow for that matter). Those two should be with the organization a long time. The rest can be trade bait in my opinion. I'd trade Niskanen or Engelland without a second thought, assuming we are getting a good winger in return. I like them both a lot, but like you said they are unspectacular. Our young guys have much more potential (which I truly believe they will reach) and that gives us the luxury of moving one of those guys in order to fill a bigger need.


Last edited by KeepitinPitt: 02-03-2013 at 05:08 PM.
KeepitinPitt is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 04:52 PM
  #917
66-29-33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,470
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
Maata, Despres, 2nd, TK. If we're lucky. Or Maatta, Nisky, TK, 2nd.

Clutterbuck is a nice piece, but I think it would be a lot easier to make a deal without him in it.

Seto, Phillips for Nisky & Maatta & maybe a 3rd/4th (only because Phillips is closer to being NHL ready than Maatta).
Don't get how Seto is worth Nisky. Nisky has looked SOLID on the first pairing with us, Seto has been having a bad season, aswell as regressing since his 1 good year with SJ, that was how long ago? Maybe i'm just not as high on Seto as some. I'd love if he came here and was turned into that "guy" again, but who knows tbh. Clutterbuck should be a must get with Seto. I think Pens should keep Despres and see what he becomes, don't feel comfortable trading him unless it's part of a much better player then Seto.

66-29-33 is online now  
Old
02-03-2013, 05:01 PM
  #918
eXile59
Shirts on.
 
eXile59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: PA
Posts: 16,165
vCash: 500
I don't get why we are trading what could be a first pairing D-man for the next ten years for a second line winger that has been slumping for some time now. If we trade for Seto I would only be willing to do it for some who is further away from the NHL than Despres.

eXile59 is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 05:12 PM
  #919
66-29-33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,470
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
I don't get why we are trading what could be a first pairing D-man for the next ten years for a second line winger that has been slumping for some time now. If we trade for Seto I would only be willing to do it for some who is further away from the NHL than Despres.
If Pens trade Despres it better be in a package for a star winger for Crosby. Like Ryan for example, although they wont be dealing Ryan anytime soon with Perry and Getzlaf upcoming UFA's. Like Sutter+Despres+1st for Ryan or something.

66-29-33 is online now  
Old
02-03-2013, 05:23 PM
  #920
UnderratedBrooks44
Registered User
 
UnderratedBrooks44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Miranda's house
Posts: 12,796
vCash: 500
I don't know how ur gonna work a deal for a decent winger without Despres. At be a bad team will want morrow but that's it. These teams we're talking about want to win now not later. Plus I thought being able to give one if these guys up was kinda the point of hoarding them.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 05:26 PM
  #921
Corban
.
 
Corban's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa
Country: United States
Posts: 2,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
I don't get why we are trading what could be a first pairing D-man for the next ten years for a second line winger that has been slumping for some time now. If we trade for Seto I would only be willing to do it for some who is further away from the NHL than Despres.
I completely agree with you. These past few games I think have given us a glimpse as to what Despres could be, and that is something we do need now and into the future. I'm not really for trading him, unless it is really for something special.

Corban is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 05:31 PM
  #922
SEALBound
Registered User
 
SEALBound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 7,104
vCash: 500
Setoguchi + Clutterbuck

for

TK + Maatta + 2nd

SEALBound is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 05:32 PM
  #923
mpp9
Registered User
 
mpp9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 16,938
vCash: 500
Niskanen+Maatta/Harrington would bring us a longterm solution for Sid.

mpp9 is online now  
Old
02-03-2013, 05:36 PM
  #924
penzweiser
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 154
vCash: 500
I only trade despres for a young skilled winger with lots of contract control that has proven he can put up some points in the NHL. I'm curious hire people see despres compared to where Gogo was at the time he was traded. I think that if anyone it's traded it will be martin, nisky, kennedy or despres. Out of those despres has the most value to me. Martin is close if we eat some salary.

penzweiser is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 05:38 PM
  #925
66-29-33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,470
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEALBound View Post
Setoguchi + Clutterbuck

for

TK + Maatta + 2nd
Out of the 2 players, i like Clutterbuck the most! the guy's a beast hitting machine who can pot us 15 goals a year. Wild fans tell us to NEVER put Clutterbuck on the top 6, but imagine Cooke-Sutter-Clutterbuck for our 3rd line? Hell i'd be tempted to try Vitale with Clutterbuck and Cooke every now and then just to see them wear teams down physically.

66-29-33 is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:11 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.