HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

All Encompassing Winger Acquisition Thread

Closed Thread

Old
01-22-2013, 09:36 PM
MonsterSurge

vCash: 500
*Dumps Ryder in fantasy: Scores two
*Doesn't start Clarkson: A goal and like 10 PIMs

Fml.

Old
01-23-2013, 03:21 AM
Muscles4Malkin
Top-6 Beau

El Nio Niedermayer:

"ASSETS: Boasts good size, great scoring prowess and a flair for the dramatic in his game. Shoots first, asks questions later. Not shy about venturing into heavy traffic areas, he can play on either side of center. Also has a mean streak.

FLAWS: Needs to continue to work on playing a consistent brand of hockey, especially when he isn't in attack mode. Must also prove he can play sans injuries for long stretches, which have been a challenge for him.

CAREER POTENTIAL: Power scoring winger with good upside."

Sounds like a Crosby's Neal (assets).

Old
01-23-2013, 09:31 AM
sluice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega View Post
Just a question for you all. If the isles were willing would you do a Nino - Despres swap?
Not in a million years. Isles would need to add something.
Despres > Nino for now anyway.

I'd still be interested in Nino, but not for Despres, Morrow, Bennett, Pouliot, Dumoulin or Harrington... I guess that doesn't leave much!

Old
01-23-2013, 09:33 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

How about we just make Kulemin stay here after tonight's game?

Old
01-23-2013, 09:36 AM
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Nope. I really, really like what I've seen from Despres.

A defenseman who's 6'4" who can skate and pass like that? Pretty damn rare. For a team that's so geared towards transition, he's especially valuable.
This. Despres goes NOWHERE.

Old
01-23-2013, 09:46 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Mtt

Nino has been really productive in the AHL at a very young age and has looked very dynamic according to some scouts. He's been much more productive in the AHL this season than Despres or Morrow. I can't see him being available for anything less than one of our absolute best D prospects especially since it would be a trade within division. I don't buy that the Isles won't trade him within the division. I think they will if a division rival offers the best asset. I still don't think he'll be moved though. The Isles have too much leverage over him in this situation.

Old
01-23-2013, 10:36 AM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

I don't get the negativity to trading Des for Nino.

Ppl have been preaching that Shero can turn some of his plethora of D prospects into wingers for Sid or Geno and now so many are balking at possibly getting a long term solution at wing for one of them.

Old
01-23-2013, 10:41 AM
ss53mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragamuffin Gunner View Post

Ppl have been preaching that Shero can turn some of his plethora of D prospects into wingers for Sid or Geno and now so many are balking at possibly getting a long term solution at wing for one of them.
I think the negativity is based around people having the perspective of Despres is pretty much an nhl defensman with top 2/4 upside. Nino is still more of a gamble. Where we knew we were getting at least a top 6 guy in Neal, Nino isn't as sure to pan out.

I'd part with any d prospect not named Despes, Dumoulin, Morrow though.

Old
01-23-2013, 10:42 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:

I think a lot of us just see Despres as being more valuable than Nino. I've only seen him play for the Isles and don't follow minors though so I really don't know how good he is supposed to be. All I know (and likely others like me) is that he has 3 NHL points and is a -30 in his career with the Isles. I have absolutely no context for that at all.

Old
01-23-2013, 10:44 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:

Many of our defense prospects are a long way off from being valuable NHLers. Despres is not - that is the difference.

Old
01-23-2013, 11:04 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscles4Malkin View Post
El Nio Niedermayer:

"ASSETS: Boasts good size, great scoring prowess and a flair for the dramatic in his game. Shoots first, asks questions later. Not shy about venturing into heavy traffic areas, he can play on either side of center. Also has a mean streak.

FLAWS: Needs to continue to work on playing a consistent brand of hockey, especially when he isn't in attack mode. Must also prove he can play sans injuries for long stretches, which have been a challenge for him.

CAREER POTENTIAL: Power scoring winger with good upside."

Sounds like a Crosby's Neal (assets).
Well, aside from the fact that Neal actually had a track record, yes. IMO, calling Nino 'Crosby's Neal' is like calling Tangradi 'Geno's Kunitz'.

Old
01-23-2013, 11:05 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaticBirdman View Post
This. Despres goes NOWHERE.
I wouldn't say that he goes NOWHERE, but it would take something like him being the difference between the Pens getting and not getting someone like Bobby Ryan for him to move.

Old
01-23-2013, 12:00 PM
domaug*
Flahr Pahr

if real life were ANYTHING like NHL 13, i would flip out with joy if this trade happened:

TO CGY:
G Brent Johnson
D Harrison Ruopp
2013 3rd Round Pick

TO PIT:
W Jarome Iginla

yes, i did that in NHL 13. the biggest problems with that, though, without even factoring in the pure fact that Calgary would NEVER EVER do that, are that the Pens don't have Johnson anymore and probably won't be able to keep Iginla past this season.

oh, and the fact that can't be mentioned enough that Calgary would NEVER EVER do that. but i can dream with the help of NHL 13, right?

Old
01-23-2013, 12:22 PM
DoctrSteveBrule
BrooksOrpeck

I don't think we need anyone better than Kunitz or Dupuis really so if we can go out and grab someone of equivalent talent to them, I'm for it. Crosby has put up 100+ points with guys like that and honestly that's all we really need. I'm not in favor of trading away one of our bluechip D prospects, especially considering the uncertainty regarding Letang's future. If we could go out and get Dupuis 2.0 aka Mason Raymond or a guy like Ryan Clower/Steve Ott etc etc for a lot cheaper, I'm for that. I don't like trading high draft picks or high end prospects only to get something (another winger for Crosby/Malkin) that is ultimately a luxury.

EDIT: Especially considering we have a guy who we think might be the best winger to come through the organization in a while in the AHL, knocking at the door.

Old
01-23-2013, 12:29 PM
mpp9

Why the **** would we get another Dupuis? We have enough bottom six players on this team.

I'd prefer to see Sid with the puck on his stick in the postseason. Kunitz and Dupuis aren't gonna provide that against proper defensive teams.

Old
01-23-2013, 12:35 PM
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!

vCash: 80
I feel the urge to bang my head against my desk every time I see someone mention how we don't need to upgrade Sid's wingers because he can score 100 points with his current guys.

Old
01-23-2013, 12:47 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctrSteveBrule View Post
I don't think we need anyone better than Kunitz or Dupuis really so if we can go out and grab someone of equivalent talent to them, I'm for it. Crosby has put up 100+ points with guys like that and honestly that's all we really need. I'm not in favor of trading away one of our bluechip D prospects, especially considering the uncertainty regarding Letang's future. If we could go out and get Dupuis 2.0 aka Mason Raymond or a guy like Ryan Clower/Steve Ott etc etc for a lot cheaper, I'm for that. I don't like trading high draft picks or high end prospects only to get something (another winger for Crosby/Malkin) that is ultimately a luxury.

EDIT: Especially considering we have a guy who we think might be the best winger to come through the organization in a while in the AHL, knocking at the door.
You say that like these players are all around the same level of effectiveness.

Old
01-23-2013, 12:54 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
for as much cap flexibility Shero has to play with, by deadline time the options could be quite meager.

that said, i'm still looking for more candidates for the chart - and no the likes of Mason Raymond don't count.

Last edited by Crafton: 01-23-2013 at 01:14 PM.
Old
01-23-2013, 01:10 PM
MtlPenFan

Blake Wheeler
Blake Wheeler
Blake Wheeler
Blake Wheeler
Blake Wheeler
Blake Wheeler
Blake Wheeler
Blake Wheeler
Blake Wheeler
Blake Wheeler
Blake Wheeler

Old
01-23-2013, 01:17 PM
Pigs On The Wing

I'd like Wheeler but I don't see the Jets ever trading him. He was their leading scorer last year and they're stacked at D.

Old
01-23-2013, 01:19 PM
DoctrSteveBrule
BrooksOrpeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
You say that like these players are all around the same level of effectiveness.
I worded it like that because I believe Raymond is one kind of player and Clowe/Steve Ott are another type. Clowe is obviously the best of the bunch but the point is that the other two would suffice, in my book. I'd put them all in the same talent pool, that doesn't mean they're equal.

Old
01-23-2013, 01:23 PM

There's a great draft coming up. What would it take for the Pens to give up a first?

I would hate to see a 1st given for a player over 33. I'm hoping that first is only used if the player coming back is at the same age as the Pens core or if a high 2nd could be thrown in.

Old
01-23-2013, 01:25 PM
Darth Vitale
Lesshaus > Morehaus

Winnipeg is going to be a buyer for a while going forward, not a seller. They're going to get more competitive not less IMO. And they have a lot of cap room (about $2.5M more than we have today). And at the deadline they'll have even more in relative terms... about the equivalent of signing players worth $11M per season. That's if I understand the new rules right. I might not.

Old
01-23-2013, 01:26 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Definition View Post
I'd like Wheeler but I don't see the Jets ever trading him. He was their leading scorer last year and they're stacked at D.
Really? If they need anything IMO, it's D.

Old
01-23-2013, 01:31 PM
Darth Vitale
Lesshaus > Morehaus

Their D is pretty suspect last I checked (prospects not withstanding which I don't know), but either way I don't see them sacrificing Wheeler to make it better

Closed Thread