HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

We have a potential deal in place with one team, GM says of Luongo deal

Closed Thread

Old
01-23-2013, 11:10 AM
dave babych returns

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12345 View Post
I'm sure they'll use league docs to verify if there is a concern. But any player can say lower back pain and all their imaging will demonstrate some element of osteoarthritis of the lumbar spine. The league can't say that it isn't severe enough to go on LTIR as it is patient-specific.
Yep. I wasn't talking about Luongo showing up at training camp with a fake neck brace or something like that.

Besides, I also said if he's well enough to play I bet he will want to continue to do so and would be flexible enough to go to a team that wants him.

Old
01-23-2013, 11:13 AM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercanuck View Post
Those guys are legitimately injured and it's obvious. We're theorizing about a team doctoring medical reports to put a guy on LTIR at the end of his contract. I don't see it flying with Bettman. The little man is on a mission.

That said, I don't see the Luongo contract as an impediment for any team to acquire him. Ultimately the Canucks are responsible for it.
That is why the new rule is stupid.

Chris Pronger and Marc Savard are likely done in the NHL, yet are still making a wage and cannot retire without the team being punished. How does that even make sense?

Old
01-23-2013, 11:24 AM
Proto

To expand on my previous point, here's what I think happens:

Briere comes off LTIR and once he's available for the Flyers, they move Voracek for Luongo (may be other pieces). They probably need Briere back so they feel comfortable moving Voracek.

Holmgren might be able to find a team that will buy low for Bryzgalov. In a less pressure-filled market he might find his form, and his cap hit is relatively low. The cap savings are also smaller, so the back-end of the contract isn't as ugly as Luongo's would be.

Would Chicago take on Bryzgalov? San Jose? Who knows.

Philadelphia does make a certain sort of sense. Holmgren loves this sort of thing.

Last edited by Proto: 01-23-2013 at 11:43 AM.
Old
01-23-2013, 11:26 AM
The Kassian Train
228 LBS of Pain

I hate MG for spewing this. Now I'm sucked back in this thread everyday reading rumours.

Old
01-23-2013, 11:35 AM
billvanseattle

One thing not yet mentioned .... Luongo may be close to breaking some NHL records at the end of the day ... he may want to keep playing just to pad his stats. For example, he is presently amongst the highest in save percentage, though that stat is unlikely to be helped with time.

Old
01-23-2013, 11:37 AM
dave babych returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
That is why the new rule is stupid.

Chris Pronger and Marc Savard are likely done in the NHL, yet are still making a wage and cannot retire without the team being punished. How does that even make sense?
I'm sure Chris Pronger and Marc Savard are totally happy with how things work, they were injured doing their jobs and the whole point of their long term contracts is to protect their livelihoods in the event something like that happens.

Has nothing to do with cap recapture, in which a player intentionally leaves money on the table.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kassian Train View Post
I hate MG for spewing this. Now I'm sucked back in this thread everyday reading rumours.
It's so obvious, Gillis was put up to it by the media in order to generate viewers, pageviews and comments.

Old
01-23-2013, 11:40 AM
PRNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by billvanseattle View Post
One thing not yet mentioned .... Luongo may be close to breaking some NHL records at the end of the day ... he may want to keep playing just to pad his stats. For example, he is presently amongst the highest in save percentage, though that stat is unlikely to be helped with time.
Hmm, are you sure about this? I heard he's a mentally weak stomach flopper.

Old
01-23-2013, 11:48 AM
Proto

Also, for those interested in Flyers players, Voracek seems to make the most sense for salary reasons and Philly's team depth. There's absolutely no way they move Couturier. He's playing Jordan Staal minutes two years before Jordan Staal played Jordan Staal minutes: difficult quality of comp, high defensize zone starts, killing penalties, etc.

When Briere is back, the Flyers have Hartnell, Giroux, Simmonds, Schenn, and Briere in their Top 6, with a rotating cast of Fedotenko, Read, Rinaldo, Talbot, and Eric Wellwood to fill in other spots.

Not sure what their cap situation is with Pronger on LTIR, but waiting until a month into the season might allow them to absorb the Voracek-for-Luongo salary swap without even needing to move Bryzgalov.

Old
01-23-2013, 11:49 AM
The Kassian Train
228 LBS of Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave babych returns View Post
I'm sure Chris Pronger and Marc Savard are totally happy with how things work, they were injured doing their jobs and the whole point of their long term contracts is to protect their livelihoods in the event something like that happens.

Has nothing to do with cap recapture, in which a player intentionally leaves money on the table.

It's so obvious, Gillis was put up to it by the media in order to generate viewers, pageviews and comments.
I'm so tempted to just tell Tiranis to ban me hahahaha. That way I can focus at work and not check here for tweets every hour while at work.

Old
01-23-2013, 11:50 AM
Jarko2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
People calling Luongo's contract terrible are either a) misinformed or b) have an agenda. I honestly think that fans/media would be ripping apart his contract if it was 3-4 years remaining at $6M, it's just the nature of the NHL.

Luongo had an "off year" last year and fans/media are jumping on it thinking his game is slipping and hoping that it will knock is value down a lot. I'm not saying his value isn't damaged by his play last year either.

Luongo has also been the more scrutinized goalie in the league for the last 2-3 years, so fans/media feel they know his game inside and out.

I also think that Luongo will play till the end of the contract if he's in the right situation, which is why Florida makes so much sense. Maybe not now but down the road, they are not a cap team and most likely will never be, and if they can get a high cap hit low salaried player near the end of Luongo's contract then they would be very happy.
Woah! An off year? Luongo had 4 off playoffs in a row. That's the problem. One of those was before the new contract was signed. A contract that frankly wasn't earned. It was a head shaker at the time. Gillis is accountable for this. The same man who reportedly wanted Sundin for a 2nd year at 10 mill.

I don't think Luongo has been the same since his injury 3 years ago. His best playoffs was his first, where he carried the team.

Old
01-23-2013, 11:55 AM
Edonator
The Mightiest Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarko2004 View Post
Woah! An off year? Luongo had 4 off playoffs in a row. That's the problem. One of those was before the new contract was signed. A contract that frankly wasn't earned. It was a head shaker at the time. Gillis is accountable for this. The same man who reportedly wanted Sundin for a 2nd year at 10 mill.

I don't think Luongo has been the same since his injury 3 years ago. His best playoffs was his first, where he carried the team.
Anybody who thinks Luongo had a poor run when we made it to the SCF's should be packed on a bus and shipped to Edmonton.

Old
01-23-2013, 12:18 PM
ginner classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JATT187 View Post
Voracek straight up for Luongo would be awesome.
Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Voracek-Kesler-Kassian
Booth-Schroeder-Higgins
Hansen-Lapierre-Malhotra
Raymond

Garrison-Edler
Hamhuis-Bieksa
Ballard-Tanev

Schneider
Lack
Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Higgins-Kesler-Voracek
Booth-Schroeder-Kassian
Hansen-Lapierre-Malhotra

Raymond - traded
Higgins traded at deadline if we are out of the running

Old
01-23-2013, 12:19 PM
crazycanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarko2004 View Post

Give me a break, you can't take a team to game 7 of the SCF while having a goalie not playing well.

Whats a head shaker is what you just posted.

Old
01-23-2013, 12:33 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave babych returns View Post
Anyone who thinks Luongo is going to retire before the end of this contract rather than suffering some chronic groin "injury" that keeps him on LTIR for a season or two if he wants out is fooling themselves.
Aquilini will see to that.

He'll just hire someone like Tonya Hardings goon to take Lou's Knee out.

...WHY???

Old
01-23-2013, 12:41 PM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
Give me a break, you can't take a team to game 7 of the SCF while having a goalie not playing well.

Whats a head shaker is what you just posted.
Luongo was jekyll and hyde that playoffs. He played great or crapped the bed with little in between. He also had two prior playoffs that were also weak. The fact is that some of the goals he let in against Boston were very weak and extremely deflating for the team. Saying luongo has been inconsistent in the playoffs is being kind.

01-23-2013, 12:45 PM
opendoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
This is flat out wrong.

You've been swayed my uneducated people.

Worst case scenario he commits to retiring early with the 3 low money years left, reacquire him for a 7th round pick and buy him out the old fashioned way. Pay two-thirds the value, over double the length remaining.

I'm not prepared to do the math right now as I've done it before, but I believe it's something like a $400k cap hit for 6 years. So if Mirtle's growth model was to be trusted, the cap could be close to $90 miillion, what's $400k of $90 million.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but based on my interpretation of the MOU that was signed I don't see how a buyout would negate the "cap advantage recapture" from kicking in. Basically the rule states that if the player is in a situation "such that he is not playing [in the NHL] and is not receiving Salary pursuant to the terms of his SPC" that the team will get hit with a penalty. Given that a buyout terminates the SPC and isn't considered salary, I don't see how it would prevent the Canucks from being penalized.

Old
01-23-2013, 12:46 PM
Proto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Maouth View Post
Luongo was jekyll and hyde that playoffs. He played great or crapped the bed with little in between. He also had two prior playoffs that were also weak. The fact is that some of the goals he let in against Boston were very weak and extremely deflating for the team. Saying luongo has been inconsistent in the playoffs is being kind.
Can someone get a moderator in here to clean up what appears to be an incoming massive derail into as-yet-undiscovered Luongo playoff discussion territory? Pretty sure we have another thread for it so we sane folks can ignore it

Old
01-23-2013, 12:46 PM
dave babych returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Punch Clock View Post
Aquilini will see to that.

He'll just hire someone like Tonya Hardings goon to take Lou's Knee out.

...WHY???
That or Lou will wake up one morning with James Duthie's head in his bed.

Old
01-23-2013, 12:47 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
THE TEAM WAS JEKYLL AND HYDE, NOT JUST ROBERTO.

Game 5 against Chicago and game 6 against Boston were poor games from Lu, other than those, the team folded like a cheap Canadian Tire tent.

Old
01-23-2013, 12:48 PM
Edonator
The Mightiest Club

Quote:
There isn't a goalie, past or present, that could've gotten past Boston with how the team infront of him was playing. Going back through Vancouver's losses in the post season with Luongo, there really weren't too many cases of the other goalie massively outplaying him. It had more to do with the team having break downs, and us not being good enough.

Let's also not forget that 4 out of the 5 teams he faced went on to win the Stanley Cup. Goaltending was never the problem. Just an easy was to lay off blame for every other short coming.

Old
01-23-2013, 12:52 PM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edonator View Post
There isn't a goalie, past or present, that could've gotten past Boston with how the team infront of him was playing. Going back through Vancouver's losses in the post season with Luongo, there really weren't too many cases of the other goalie massively outplaying him. It had more to do with the team having break downs, and us not being good enough.

Let's also not forget that 4 out of the 5 teams he faced went on to win the Stanley Cup. Goaltending was never the problem. Just an easy was to lay off blame for every other short coming.
On my phone and keeping my answers brief. Of course there was a goalie we could have won with. He was at the other end of the rink.

Old
01-23-2013, 12:52 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but based on my interpretation of the MOU that was signed I don't see how a buyout would negate the "cap advantage recapture" from kicking in. Basically the rule states that if the player is in a situation "such that he is not playing [in the NHL] and is not receiving Salary pursuant to the terms of his SPC" that the team will get hit with a penalty. Given that a buyout terminates the SPC and isn't considered salary, I don't see how it would prevent the Canucks from being penalized.
Any chance you can link the MOU?

I'm using google and nothing is jumping out at me so far.

Cheers

Old
01-23-2013, 12:54 PM
brandon4679

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
To expand on my previous point, here's what I think happens:

Briere comes off LTIR and once he's available for the Flyers, they move Voracek for Luongo (may be other pieces). They probably need Briere back so they feel comfortable moving Voracek.

Holmgren might be able to find a team that will buy low for Bryzgalov. In a less pressure-filled market he might find his form, and his cap hit is relatively low. The cap savings are also smaller, so the back-end of the contract isn't as ugly as Luongo's would be.

Would Chicago take on Bryzgalov? San Jose? Who knows.

Philadelphia does make a certain sort of sense. Holmgren loves this sort of thing.
there is no chance we get voracek

Old
01-23-2013, 12:56 PM
dave babych returns

Quote:
On my phone and keeping my answers brief. Of course there was a goalie we could have won with. He was at the other end of the rink.
Do we get to trade bluelines too in this scenario?

Because one team was allowed at least half a dozen golden scoring opportunities every game and the other could scarcely get to the net without getting run over.

Old
01-23-2013, 01:01 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
That guy put up unreal numbers in the regular season and playoffs - haven't checked but perhaps the best of all time.

Just because Brad Park was second fiddle to Bobby Orr, doesn't make the former not a legit hall of famer (awful in management but a great hockey player).

Closed Thread